Finland 100: June 1, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Finnish necklace is really lovely and unique. Am I correct in understanding it's made of Finnish metal and stone? That seems quite appropriate for a piece of state jewelry in a republic.

The Finnish necklace is really lovely and unique. Am I correct in understanding it's made of Finnish metal and stone? That seems quite appropriate for a piece of state jewelry in a republic.

Yes, both the gold and the stones have been found in Finland.

Here is a nice album from the events taken by a freelance photographer. It shows also queen Margrethe leaving Dannebrog in the morning and king Harald and queen Sonja leaving Norge.
Suomi 100_ Kuninkaalliset Helsingissä (01.06.17) _ Facebook

Here is a BB video focusing on QMII: VIDEO: Dronning Margrethe forsvandt før fest i Finland - se her hvorhen | BILLED-BLADET
I'm a little surprised at the prominent role QMII has had at this event. Even though she is the monarch with the longest service behind her.
In the video we can even hear the Danish royal anthem. - AFAIK there were not that many Danes who went to Finland in time to do much fighting back in 1939, so I'm a little puzzled.

As for QMII walking fast. She has said on several occasions that she can only walk fast, due to her back problems, while PH can only walk slowly due to his problems. Back problems manifest themselves in the weirdest way I guess.

Yes, both the gold and the stones have been found in Finland.

Here is a nice album from the events taken by a freelance photographer. It shows also queen Margrethe leaving Dannebrog in the morning and king Harald and queen Sonja leaving Norge.
Suomi 100_ Kuninkaalliset Helsingissä (01.06.17) _ Facebook

Norge and Dannebrog are two seriously beautiful and ever elegant ambassadors for our countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a little surprised at the prominent role QMII has had at this event. Even though she is the monarch with the longest service behind her.
In the video we can even hear the Danish royal anthem. - AFAIK there were not that many Danes who went to Finland in time to do much fighting back in 1939, so I'm a little puzzled.

She was the longest-serving head of state present, thus her position as "a guest of honour". Everything was dictated by the order of precendence, similarly to the 70th anniversary commemorations of the D-Day in France in 2014 when Queen Margrethe was given predence right after Queen Elizabeth owing to her years of service, even though the Danes played a comparatively small part in the campaign. Also, with Margrethe being without a spouse it was only natural that the President of Finland and Mrs Haukio accompanied her.

And these celebrations had very little to do with the war of 1939 (or 1941-1945 for that matter). It was more of a celebration of Nordic cooperation and friendhship which goes much farther back than 1939.

But all in all, it was a real honour and a pleasure to have Her Majesty in Finland! :flowers:

As for QMII walking fast. She has said on several occasions that she can only walk fast, due to her back problems, while PH can only walk slowly due to his problems. Back problems manifest themselves in the weirdest way I guess.
Yes, but I still think it's impressive, also the way she walks in stairs.

Many also say that she looks frail, something I disagree with, especially when you take her problems into consideration.

Norge and Dannebrog are two seriously beautiful and ever elegant ambassadors for our countries.
I fully agree! They are my favourite ships together with the beautiful former Hurtigruten vessel MS Nordstjernen from 1956 who in 2012 was protected as a national heritage in Norway.

Here are 3 pictures of Norge:
http://www.kongehuset.no/aim/kongeh...c03d.jpg/Scale?geometry=375x>&Set:quality=100

http://www.kongehuset.no/aim/kongeh...536f.jpg/Scale?geometry=375x>&Set:quality=100

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Kongeskipet_Norge.jpg

I am so glad that King Olav decided that the Royal Yacht was to be rebuilt after the fire in 1985.

A picture of MS Nordstjernen as well - taken not long ago:
http://1.vgc.no/drpublish/images/article/2014/09/18/23298581/1/990/2297791.jpg

Back
Top Bottom