D-Day 70th Anniversary: June 6, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
Something I notice: Most the Head of States of the Countries who won the War (Allies) are in the Front while the countries that lost (Axis) are in the back. It might just be a coincidence as the photo are down by time in office. The Big Four Allied Powers at the time are in the front.

The D-Day invasion was done mostly by US, British and Canadian troops. France is the host. Those countries are rightfully up front. You can't stick Obama and the Queen in back (the queen can't go in the back anyways since she is so short) and have Merkel front and center

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have arrived in France (@AeroportDeCaen) #DDay70 #william #kate

@RoyalCentral
· 27s
William and Kate arrive in Arromanches for tea party. One of two engagements for them today (via @byEmilyAndrews)
Kate chats to some veterans at Arromanches tea party."You've got lots of stories to tell" pic.twitter.com/hQsBwY893O
Kate & William arrive Arromanches #DDay70 pic.twitter.com/o6GZHaNT5I

Love the photo of Kate chatting to the veterans at the tea party.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

I guess it's just more an unfortunate mistake than a pushy attitude from Maxima.

I guess it's just more an unfortunate mistake than a pushy attitude from Maxima.

Yes, I'm sure there was someone in charge of assembling everyone for the photo, and Maxima was probably somehow included in that group - I doubt she rushed over and insisted in being included. A faux pas, but not a huge one, in the grand scheme of things, IMO.

Nico: you are probably right, but unfortunately for her, I guess it brings back the (unfounded) criticism that Maxima acts like a "co-sovereign", rather than a consort, which is a sensitive issue in the Netherlands. Remember for example the debate before Willem-Alexander's inauguration on whether Maxima should be called "queen" or not.

I wonder what Marengo thinks (being from the Netherlands, of course).

We are only human... there will always be small errors and mistakes with protocol, especially when so many important people are gathered together !

Neither King Harald of Norway, and i woud'nt suspect a frosty relashionship btw him and the Queen.

Curious, I always thought King Harald and Queen Elizabeth were very close.They are second cousins after all !

:ermm:A very nice picture and it made me realize something about the world leaders.............we most surely must have and need more women world leaders, not just men. I believe then that there would not be so many darn problems with egos and power. Putin should NOT be in that picture...sorry for getting off topic, just don't know where else to comment on this picture!

Why not? President Putin was invited and attended.

Last edited:

Is there any particular reason for applauds?

Her Majesty is the only of the current Heads of State who is a War veteran, something that her colleagues must recognize.

Why not? President Putin was invited and attended.

Although he was invited, Putin is a dictator comparable the ones who dragged humanity to World War II.

Her Majesty is the only of the current Heads of State who is a War veteran, something that her colleagues must recognize.

Although he was invited, Putin is a dictator comparable the ones who dragged humanity to World War II.

Stalin was a dictator (and probably one of the most brutal ones in European history). Nevertheless, he was a key ally against Nazi Germany and both PM Churchill and President Roosevelt appeared on several pictures with him.

Stalin was a dictator (and probably one of the most brutal ones in European history). Nevertheless, he was a key ally against Nazi Germany and both PM Churchill and President Roosevelt appeared on several pictures with him.

I wasn't talking about Stalin.

I believe that HM was officially the guest of honor, as well.

As noted by Nico, King Harald did not applaud. Would that mean that he too did not recognise Queen Elizabeth's II contribution to the victory?
As for the dictator, the dogs barks, but the caravan goes on. Leaders of the enlighten western regimes are consensus figures bought by the moneyed elite.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about Stalin.

I was making a point that being a dictator does not prevent one from being photographed with the POTUS or the British PM for example. Putin was there because of Russia's role in the war.

King Harald is a big fan of The Queen, and has spoken warmly of her several times in the Norwegian media. He did applaud before she entered the podium.

The Soviet Union started the war as an ally of Germany and helped to invade Poland but Hitler made the mistake of invading the USSR causing them to switch sides.

I read an hysterical comment on the DM story with the photo of Obama and the NZ GG helping the Queen down the steps while Putin stood off to the side by himself not looking at the Queen or Obama. The comment was basically that Putin had relatives that died in the war and that Queen and Philip didn't at least on the right side of the war. I had to shake my head at that. The Queen and Philip actually served during the war.

Back
Top Bottom