D-Day 70th Anniversary: June 6, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima at a Dutch-French service in Arromanches:
https://twitter.com/KHtweets/status/474871592024309760/photo/1

The world leaders are taking photos at Château de Bénouville. Elizabeth II, Margrethe II, Harald V, Henri, Willem-Alexander and Philippe. Obama, Putin, Hollande, Merkel, Australian PM Abbott. Couldn't identify the others.

Image of the group: https://twitter.com/theroyalforums/status/474880054237728768

Queen Elizabeth, while still going for her age, is unfortunately looking/moving her age. Queen Margrethe almost took out Grand Duke Henri rushing around the stairs to get in position.

Last edited:
It's funny and/or disturbing how Obama and Putine "used" the two Queens (Elizabeth and Margrethe) to avoid any contact.

On June 6th 2014 it will be 70 years ago that operation overlord started. This will be commemorated in Normandy, France.

Confirmed guests thus far:

- Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip;
- King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima;
- King Philippe and Queen Mathilde

It is likely that the reiging couples of Belgium, Norway and Luxembourg will also attend the event, as well as heads of state and representatives of the other Allied powers.

--
Entry of the veterans in 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2oN8ArL2RY

--

I've just seen on CNN Queen Margrethe, King Harald, Grand Duke Henri, and, I believe, Prince Albert arriving for lunch with President Hollande of France. I assume they will also attend the event then.

What name did The Prince of Wales give the bell during the service at the Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Bayeux?

I've just seen on CNN Queen Margrethe, King Harald, Grand Duke Henri, and, I believe, Prince Albert arriving for lunch with President Hollande of France. I assume they will also attend the event then.

Prince Albert of Monaco is there. Considering he is at the leaders lunch, I would assume he will attend the official ceremony at Sword Beach this afternoon. The others all had their attendance confirmed officially by their respective courts.

Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe are flanking President Hollande at the head table for the lunch. Obama is sitting next to Queen Elizabeth, while Putin is next to Queen Margrethe. The Duke of Edinburgh is next to Prince Albert.

Last edited:
Just saw King Philippe, Queen Mathilde, King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima on my tv on the Italian all news channel RaiNews24

Always interesting to see how tall everyone is! I read somewhere that HM outranks just about everyone because of time on the throne, AND service in WWII. Had any other of these leaders served? Or even were alive?
Is it King Harald who is in uniform? Why are the others not in uniform?

Always interesting to see how tall everyone is! I read somewhere that HM outranks just about everyone because of time on the throne, AND service in WWII. Had any other of these leaders served? Or even were alive?

King Harald was very young at the time but surely alive and the Italian president Giorgio Napolitano didn't serve the army during the war but was an university student at the time fighting against Italian Fascism.

In terms of protocol, all heads of state are ranked the same. But when posing for photos or entering a building, those who have reigned / held office for the longest are given higher precedence. In this aspect, Queen Elizabeth holds the top position on the precedence list of all those attending (bar Hollande as host) as she has been sovereign for 62 years. However, precedence is not always adhered to (see Obama's closer position to the centre of the photo when compared to Italy's Napolitano, who has been in office longer).

Yes, that's King Harald in uniform next to Obama. I guess it was personal choice for what they wore. The Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales are both in uniform.

Martin @WindsorEditor · 9s
The Queen will be the last Head of State to arrive at Sword Beach, an honour accorded to the most senior dignitary. #SwordBeach

Martin @WindsorEditor · 57s
William and Catherine will attend the veterans’ tea party in Arromanches in 2 hours’ time-followed by Gold Beach engagement few hours after.

Martin @WindsorEditor · 1m
The Queen has refused an interpreter for the state visit - of course, she speaks fluent French.

Last edited:
phil dampier @phildampier · 1m
Queen Margrethe is walking very slowly because she is suffering terribly from back problems.

Beautiful applause for President Obama. Had a laugh at the split screen of the President and Putin.

Last edited:
I admit I am rushing out the door, and my monitor is small compared to many of yours. Is Maxima the only spouse in this photo?

The photo is of Heads of State and Government, Maxima should not be in it, as they are not Queen Mathilde, Grand Duchess and the Duke of Edinburgh. It's a real lack of discretion and protocol on her part. :nonono:

D-Day 70th Anniversary; June 6th, 2014

The poor woman next to David Cameron is being blocked by the guy in front of her. If Philip wanted to be in the photo, he could have. I don't think anyone would kick a WWII vet out of the picture.

Martin @WindsorEditor · 1m
Prince Philip looked thrilled to see video of Queen during wartime service in ATS. The Queen less so,

Martin @WindsorEditor · 42s
Interesting to remember that The Queen is also nominally ‘Duke of Normandy’ too.

Last edited:
A brilliant HQ pic of the Prince of Wales at the D-day commemmoration from Royalista: http://royalista.com/wp-content/cache/images/resize/11764_full_20140606135451_1200xauto@1.5x.jpg

And here metting WWII veterans. In this gallery he is greeting a former paratrooper who performed a jump today: Prince Charles greets D-Day parachute veteran | Royalista

QMII (born in 1940) is here honoring Danish sailers who died in Allied service: Dronningen: Danske krigssejlere blev ufortjent glemt | Nyheder | DR
6.300 sailors sailed in Allied service, mainly on the Atlantic convoys, 1.087 died.
About 800 were onboard ships at Normandie on D-day.

ADDED: An 11 pic gallery from BT. The focus here is on QMMII: http://www.bt.dk/royale/se-billederne-margrethe-aerer-de-faldne-i-normandiet

Last edited:
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have arrived in France (@AeroportDeCaen) #DDay70 #william #kate

@RoyalCentral
· 27s
William and Kate arrive in Arromanches for tea party. One of two engagements for them today (via @byEmilyAndrews)
Kate chats to some veterans at Arromanches tea party."You've got lots of stories to tell" pic.twitter.com/hQsBwY893O
Kate & William arrive Arromanches #DDay70 pic.twitter.com/o6GZHaNT5I

Last edited:
King Harald was very young at the time but surely alive and the Italian president Giorgio Napolitano didn't serve the army during the war but was an university student at the time fighting against Italian Fascism.

Napolitano joined the Italian Communist Party in 1945. During his university years he was a member of the GUF (Fascist University Students Group). IMHO he shouldn' t have been taken part in the celebrations. It would have been more appropriate to send Matteo Renzi to represent Italy instead.

Giorgio Napolitano - Wikipedia

I thought the re-enactment of the Allied beach landings was exquisitely done, and very moving indeed !

Napolitano joined the Italian Communist Party in 1945. During his university years he was a member of the GUF (Fascist University Students Group). IMHO he shouldn' t have been taken part in the celebrations. It would have been more appropriate to send Matteo Renzi to represent Italy instead.

Giorgio Napolitano - Wikipedia

I know that...there's been quite a controversy on the matter. If you read the article in Wikipedia he says many anti fascists joined the group at the time. It was probably the only way to avoid internment or worse..
During the fascist dictatorship Prince Vittorio Emanuele was a Balilla but his parents were notably against of Benito Mussolini. at the time it was a matter of survival

The President elect Proroshenko needs to learn how to stand properly. I wonder why Prime Minister Cameron was in the last row and why Chancellor Merkel was in the second row.
Cameron and Merkel are not Heads of State

Back
Top Bottom