Commemoration of the Start of WWI in Belgium: August 4, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was there, but I saw nobody, the public was not allowed to come close and even far !!! I waited more than 2 hours !

Someone should have organised a soapbox for him to stand on !

A century ago today, the Belgian city of Liège was shaking to the booming of German guns, while its citizens fought desperately to stem a seemly endless flood of soldiers in field grey.
Today, the scene couldn't have been more different as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge joined King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians and French president François Hollande to pay tribute to the fallen.
Elegant in a cream Alexander McQueen coat and her trusty L.K Bennett 'Sledge' heels, the Duchess wore a Jane Taylor hat that, wreathed with roses, nodded subtly to the occasion.

A glowing Kate charms President Hollande as she and William join King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of the Belgians to pay tribute to the fallen in Liège | Mail Online

I was there, but I saw nobody, the public was not allowed to come close and even far !!! I waited more than 2 hours !

That just isn't right. They should have made provisions for the public, why have an outdoor public ceremony anyway

Excellent speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge, reminding us of the real role of the monarchy in modern Europe, which is not "celebrity" or "charity", but rather the ceremonial representation of the State in occasions like that.

I wonder though why the Duke of Cambridge was chosen to represent the Queen instead of the Prince of Wales. Is Prince Charles unavailable ?

The Duchess looked stunning today, and so was also Queen Mathilde, who is a very beautiful woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should know better than to read the absolute trash that the DM commenters come out with, but I just do not get this criticism of Kate for smiling at President Hollande at one point. I watched a bit of the TV coverage and King Felipe was laughing away with the German President (sorry don't know his name), William was also smiling with Mr Hollande, and yet it's only Kate who gets bashed for it. Do people want her to sit with a glum frown on her face all the time?

Excellent speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge, reminding us of the real role of the monarchy in modern Europe, which is not "celebrity" or "charity", but rather the ceremonial representation of the State in occasions like that.

I wonder though why the Duke of Cambridge was chosen to represent the Queen instead of the Prince of Wales. Is Prince Charles unavailable ?

The BRF are all out at events across the UK today.

Charles has attended the service in Glasgow Cathedral with the PM.

The only BRF members not doing something official today are Beatrice, Eugenie, Michael, Marie-Christine and Alexandra.

The decision to sent William and Kate - and later today Harry - to Belgium was presumably The Queen's with the heir apparent at the official service in the UK while his wife will attend the service tonight at Westminster Abbey.

The only BRF members not doing something official today are Beatrice, Eugenie, Michael, Marie-Christine and Alexandra.

The decision to sent William and Kate - and later today Harry - to Belgium was presumably The Queen's with the heir apparent at the official service in the UK while his wife will attend the service tonight at Westminster Abbey.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent are actually doing duty with the pensioners at Windsor castle. I saw a lovely photo on Twitter. Ah - here it is! https://twitter.com/BritishMonarchy/status/496243219282558976/photo/1

Thanks ! I just saw pictures of Prince Charles at the Commonwealth service in Glasgow. Do you know who was in attendance at the service representing the different Commonwealth countries ?

Thanks ! I just saw pictures of Prince Charles at the Commonwealth service in Glasgow. Do you know who was in attendance at the service representing the different Commonwealth countries ?
I have seen pictures from Getty that shown the Governor General of Commonwealth of Australia, Sir Peter Cosgrove along with Lady Cosgrove at the Service.

I should know better than to read the absolute trash that the DM commenters come out with, but I just do not get this criticism of Kate for smiling at President Hollande at one point. I watched a bit of the TV coverage and King Felipe was laughing away with the German President (sorry don't know his name), William was also smiling with Mr Hollande, and yet it's only Kate who gets bashed for it. Do people want her to sit with a glum frown on her face all the time?

Welcome to the world of double standards :glare:

Last edited:

Kate has a history of giggling and playing with her hair at solemn events, as long as you get photos like these DM will print them
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/10/article-2497274-19538BE900000578-877_306x438.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/10/article-2497274-19538B6500000578-304_634x359.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/08/04/article-2715336-203D1EF200000578-418_470x680.jpg

Everyone was laughing and smiling but when it was time to remember, they all did. That's the important thing.

Videos:
Prince Harry has laid a wreath at the World War One memorial in Folkestone today, marking the 100th anniversary of the start of hostilities. The 29 year old royal, who continues to serve as a captain in the British Armed Forces, also attended a formal dedication of the town’s new Memorial Arch and the annual ‘Step Short’ Commemorative March – which re-traces the route taken by millions of British soldiers as they headed towards Folkestone Harbour from where they departed for France-
Home - ITNSource News

Prince Charles and the Prime Minister David Cameron have arrived at Glasgow Cathedral in Scotland this morning, ahead of today’s National Service of Commemoration for the Commonwealth. The service, which is also being attended by the Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and leader of the Labour Party Ed Miliband, is the first of a series of events being staged today, to mark the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War One-
Home - ITNSource News

Prince Charles and the Prime Minister David Cameron have laid wreaths at the World War One memorial in Glasgow’s St George’s Square this morning, as the nation marks 100 years since the outbreak of ‘The Great War’. The event was also attended by the Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and leader of the Labour Party Ed Miliband, following a commemorative service at Glasgow Cathedral earlier today-
Home - ITNSource News

It's good custom,and manners,that there is a free exchange of niceties and smiles & laughs between those in the say of Nations or / and those representing those in the say.So dear Catherine smiling to Hollande is perfect.Criticizers have usually no clue as to what the essence of meet & greet & communications are about on that level...and surely not within their own narrow existences.Let them for what they're worth PettycoatLane....nada..:whistling::).

This thread is about one of the most important,and gruesome,events in the history of mankind,and critisizing anyone,Royal or not,for attending and behaviour as perfect as one can is below the belt and totally out of place.

This thread deserves to remain pure and solely dedicated to the Commemorations only,anything else is futile in light of what this is all about.

At no point was she "playing" with her hair. She put her hair over her shoulder. I tuck my hair behind my ear, does that constitute "playing" with it?

I really can't imagine that any of the men and women who are being commemorated today or at the Cenotaph in November died for a future world where facial expressions are proscribed by others.

Oh, and very careful selection of photos, by the way:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/11/article-2231292-15F82C6D000005DC-435_470x423.jpg
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/12/03/1226213/130918-camilla.jpg
http://royalromania.files.wordpress...servesremembrancesundaye1udwyygtjyl.jpg?w=529

I don't remember Camilla or Sophie being criticised for smiling at solemn events in the same way Kate has been.

Last edited:
At no point was she "playing" with her hair. She put her hair over her shoulder. I tuck my hair behind my ear, does that constitute "playing" with it?

I really can't imagine that any of the men and women who are being commemorated today or at the Cenotaph in November died for a future world where facial expressions are proscribed by others.

Oh, and very careful selection of photos, by the way:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012.../images/2011/12/03/1226213/130918-camilla.jpg

http://royalromania.files.wordpress...servesremembrancesundaye1udwyygtjyl.jpg?w=529

I don't remember Camilla or Sophie being criticised for smiling at solemn events in the same way Kate has been.

I think it's down to people enjoying criticizing Catherine. Also, some people think they know how to do the job better than the royals and follow to the letter of royal protocol.

In a few minutes the Cambridge's and Prince Harry will attend a reception at Mons Town Hall.

Live Video Coverage: On Now
http://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/103235-live-herdenking-eerste-wereldoorlog

Kate looked great(as usual) and comported herself wonderfully from what I could see. The DM commentators are best ignored, ditto the DM writers. They are a particularly bitter and unhappy group of people:sad:.

great event, the world wars have been such important events in modern history that it is good to see they organised a very proper event to commemorate it. i was however surprised not to see more monarchy representation...

kate looked spotless as usual. however, i was surprised by the protocol: why did william get to pronounce a speech, together with king Philippe of the begians and not felipe, who outranks him?

shame guillaume didn't bring his belgian-born wife, it would have been very fitting for her to attend the commemoration in her country.

Last edited:
I don't understand the protocol for the seating arrangements or the speeches myself.:cool: William was outranked by every other Royal in attendance.

William & Catherine and Harry are representing The Queen. I think the royals will make a balcony appearance.

Last edited:
They represent countries, not persons, I think.

Back
Top Bottom