Commemoration of the Start of WWI in Belgium: August 4, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An interesting commemoration is taking place at the moment at Portsea (about 100km south of Melbourne). Only 3 hours and 45 minutes after war was declared in London, the first shot in the British Empire was fired from Coastal Artillery Gun Emplacement No.6 at Fort Nepean, Portsea. It was a warning shot to stop a German ship that was making a hasty get away. It worked. The captain surrendered.

World War I: Allied forces' first shot in Great War, fired in Victoria, commemorated

Adding my own thanks to those who have shared photos, videos etc.. from today's events.

All posts discussing events that were not held in Belgium have been moved to the respective thread of the individual royal attending.

I agree, it would have been lovely to have seen Stephanie since of course Belgium is her homeland . But the Luxarrazzi site said yesterday that GD Henri had originally been scheduled to attend without GD Maria Teresa, so not to expect Stephanie to accompany her husband to this event.

As another poster mentioned I am a little confused by Felipe of Spain's participation.

He was invited, thats already been asked about on this thread.

I wonder if anyone has seen pictures of the Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex at the commemorative events they attended yesterday ?

Regretably the medias all pervasive OBSESSION with the Cambridges seems to have crowded everyone else out !

He was invited, thats already been asked about on this thread.

Yes ofcourse,one doesn't come uninvited at these high level occasions.But the initial question was WHY was Felipe invited/attending?

Spain had no business with WWI,it stayed out of it all,was neutral...as were numerous other countries.Spain,The Netherlands as well as the Scandinavian countries were never involved in WWI.So,hence the question is legal and should be answered by someone in the know,why was a Monarch of a country that had no part in WWI invited to attend?Anyone?

That said,I think all ceremonies were done beautifully.

Yes ofcourse,one doesn't come uninvited at these high level occasions.But the initial question was WHY was Felipe invited/attending?

Spain had no business with WWI,it stayed out of it all,was neutral...as were numerous other countries.Spain,The Netherlands as well as the Scandinavian countries were never involved in WWI.So,hence the question is legal and should be answered by someone in the know,why was a Monarch of a country that had no part in WWI invited to attend?Anyone?

That said,I think all ceremonies were done beautifully.

I read earlier from somewhere that heads of states and representants were invited from almost 90 countries. Maybe Felipe just wanted to attend and show his respect, as many other countries send their ministers or ambassadors. I think that it is a great gesture from Felipe.

I wonder if anyone has seen pictures of the Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl and Countess of Wessex at the commemorative events they attended yesterday ?

Regretably the medias all pervasive OBSESSION with the Cambridges seems to have crowded everyone else out !

Although I agree that the media are obsessed, in this case I think that the priority given to events in Belgium is right. It was our Treaty with Belgium which brought us into the war, when they were invaded. Liege held out with great loses. Last nights ceremony at Mons a British led ceremony IMO ( based on the programme I watched last night) whereas Leige was led by Belgium.

This was key event and I was pleased that the focus was on the event and not clothes/hair/shoes.

I have seen pix of Sophie and Edward at Guildford. Local media/press are the best bet for finding information.

Although I agree that the media are obsessed, in this case I think that the priority given to events in Belgium is right. It was our Treaty with Belgium which brought us into the war, when they were invaded. Liege held out with great loses. Last nights ceremony at Mons a British led ceremony IMO ( based on the programme I watched last night) whereas Leige was led by Belgium.

I haven't quite made up my mind yet as to whether it was appropriate to send the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge to Belgium instead of the Prince of Wales. The service at Glasgow Cathedral was an official Commonwealth service with the Governor-Generals of Australia and NZ and the British PM among others in attendance, but it seems to me that the international events in Liège and Mons had a higher profile and should have been attended by the most senior British royal available in the absence of the Queen herself.

What do you think ? Should we read anything into the selection of who should attend each event ?

Last edited:
^^^ Maybe because the commemorations in Belgium were deemed the most important, the Queen wanted the Cambridges there knowing the media would focus on them and thus the events in Belgium

Wherever the Cambridges go the world's media is sure to follow.

I think the reason that the young royals were sent is to get the young generation involved in remembering. If the 20/30 somethings don't remember in 50 years no one will as the older generations die off.
Take the Queen - her father fought in WWI and experienced WWII first hand, Charles could talk to people who fought in both wars, William and Kate could hear stories from their grandparents about WWII. However someone 20 or in their teens may have not ever talked to someone who fought in WWII.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I´m very happy that William and Catherine attended the Belgium commemorations! It´s hight time for them, besides their Commonwealth tours, to do much more "grown up" things here in Europe!
Their appearance yesterday in Liége and Mons proves that, in contrast to what some posters here claim, they wouldn´t do these things because they were still "2nd in line" is truely wrong. The royal family/ the Queen seem to think quite different about it.

Both Camilla and Sophie have had their fierce criticisms written in vomit, vitriol and poison. Now both ladies have faded into the background and Miss Middleton, the newcomer, has taken the spotlights.

Miss Middleton... who...?!

I´m very happy that William and Catherine attended the Belgium commemorations! It´s hight time for them, besides their Commonwealth tours, to do much more "grown up" things here in Europe!
Their appearance yesterday in Liége and Mons proves that, in contrast to what some posters here claim, they wouldn´t do these things because they were still "2nd in line" is truely wrong. The royal family/ the Queen seem to think quite different about it.

I'm happy too as someone who, in the past, has actually criticized the Cambridge's for not doing enough in terms of "grown-up events". However, in this particular case, it may look like the Prince of Wales, as "1st in line", has been actually demoted, which I find controversial.

BTW, I also wonder why the Duchess of Cornwall was nowhere to be seen yesterday (at least not in the pictures I saw).

It was the first important Event the Cambridge attend as guests of the King and the Queen of the Country , with the King of Spain the future Grand Duke of Luxembourg, Head of States , Prime Ministers , They were PERFECT - Well Done !
At the end of the day they hosted and Saint Symphorien Cimetery because it is British Land. The BBC offered us a moving Ceremony where Prince Harry read a poem.
Unforgettable day !

Mbruno-

The Prince of Wales represented his mother at the 'National Commemoration', the principal event within Britain [with many Commonweath guests] at Glasgow Cathedral. In no way can this be seen as a demotion !
The Duchess of Cornwall represented her mother-in-law at the Candlelit vigil yesterday night at Westminster Abbey, another very prominent role, and one very fitting for a woman that lost three great Uncles in the First World War.

King Philippe , my King suffered the whole day of his eyes.... and my Queen saw the whole Commemoration Day with one eye (satelite-hat)

Last edited:
I haven't quite made up my mind yet as to whether it was appropriate to send the Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge to Belgium instead of the Prince of Wales. The service at Glasgow Cathedral was an official Commonwealth service with the Governor-Generals of Australia and NZ and the British PM among others in attendance, but it seems to me that the international events in Liège and Mons had a higher profile and should have been attended by the most senior British royal available in the absence of the Queen herself.

What do you think ? Should we read anything into the selection of who should attend each event ?

The Cambridges do not have a formal role in terms of the Commonwealth. And although the same could be said of Charles, he has stood in for HMQ at the Commonwealth Conference. She holds the Commonwealth in high esteem and I think that if she had decided to take a public role on the 4th August, this is the event she would have chosen. Charles is her heir and has taken her place.

The relationship with Belgium and WWI is important and needed to be highlighted. I dont think the King of the Belgians was put out by the Cambridges attending at Liege.

It all made sense to me.

I'm glad that the attention was pretty much on the main senior royals. I think that's how it should be.

ret.jpg

King Philippe , my King suffered the whole day of his eyes.... and my Queen saw the whole Commemoration Day with one eye (satelite-hat)
:lol: Perhaps HM's hat was part of the communications' transmission?

I'm happy too as someone who, in the past, has actually criticized the Cambridge's for not doing enough in terms of "grown-up events". However, in this particular case, it may look like the Prince of Wales, as "1st in line", has been actually demoted, which I find controversial.

BTW, I also wonder why the Duchess of Cornwall was nowhere to be seen yesterday (at least not in the pictures I saw).

The Prince of Wales was not demoted as he was at the main British event in Glasgow while The Duchess of Cornwall was at the Vigil service in Westminster Abbey - the two main British events had the heir to the throne and his spouse in attendance.

The events in Belgium were really the sideshow event to the British commemorations - along with the rest of the Commonwealth of the entry by these countries into the war as the rest of the world was already fighting away before the 4th August 1914.

Can anyone show me how the other countries commemorated their own actually 100th anniversaries of entry to the war e.g. the Austrians on the 28th July or the Germans on the 1st August etc.

The 4th August really was the start for the British and not anyone else as they were already fighting by the 3rd. It is for this reason I am wondering why everyone else was even at an event on the 4th as they should have commemorated their own 100th anniversary and not the British 100th anniversary.

Mbruno-

The Prince of Wales represented his mother at the 'National Commemoration', the principal event within Britain [with many Commonweath guests] at Glasgow Cathedral. In no way can this be seen as a demotion !
The Duchess of Cornwall represented her mother-in-law at the Candlelit vigil yesterday night at Westminster Abbey, another very prominent role, and one very fitting for a woman that lost three great Uncles in the First World War.

The Prince of Wales was not demoted as he was at the main British event in Glasgow whileas The Duchess of Cornwall was at the Vigil service in Westminster Abbey - the two main British events had the heir to the throne and his spouse in attendance.

The events in Belgium were really the sideshow event to the British commemorations - along with the rest of the Commonwealth of the entry by these countries into the war as the rest of the world was already fighting away before the 4th August 1914.

I think the selection of who was present where on 4 August sent out some very clear messages from HM.

> The focus was very much on the Wales 5 - the very same who stood alongside HM on the BP balcony after the Jubilee celebrations. The only other attendee were the Wessex couple at the relatively small event at Guildford Catherdral. No Yorks, No Anne!

> Charles was at the main national event at Glasgow Cathedral, alongside the PM, the Deputy PM and the Leader of the Opposition

> Camilla led the vigil at Westminister Abbey that evening. I think this is the first time she has been the lead royal at an event at the Abbey

> The Cambridge's (and Harry later in the day) represented HM at the international event.

> HM is clearly prioritising, quite as she should - only went as far at Crathie. Prince Philip led the event at Sandringham. I presume he had still not headed north to Scotland for the summer. Perhaps he shared a plane up to Aberdeen with Camilla the next morning!

I think the selection of who was present where on 4 August sent out some very clear messages from HM.

> The focus was very much on the Wales 5 - the very same who stood alongside HM on the BP balcony after the Jubilee celebrations. The only other attendee were the Wessex couple at the relatively small event at Guildford Catherdral. No Yorks, No Anne!

> Charles was at the main national event at Glasgow Cathedral, alongside the PM, the Deputy PM and the Leader of the Opposition

> Camilla led the vigil at Westminister Abbey that evening. I think this is the first time she has been the lead royal at an event at the Abbey

> The Cambridge's (and Harry later in the day) represented HM at the international event.

> HM is clearly prioritising, quite as she should - only went as far at Crathie. Prince Philip led the event at Sandringham. I presume he had still not headed north to Scotland for the summer. Perhaps he shared a plane up to Aberdeen with Camilla the next morning!
Not quite: The Princess Royal was at a commemoration on the Isle of Wight; The Duke of York was in Northern Ireland; and the Gloucesters and The Duke of Kent were also at other events. They just didn't get the press the others did.

Not quite: The Princess Royal was at a commemoration on the Isle of Wight; The Duke of York was in Northern Ireland; and the Gloucesters and The Duke of Kent were also at other events. They just didn't get the press the others did.

I missed that, but just reinforces my point: the main events were for the "Wales 5" as it should be!

The press only covers the Cambridge's and Harry and occasionally the other royals - even though the others were doing the same thing elsewhere.

Every royal, except Beatrice and Eugenie, was representing The Queen somewhere, even the Michael's of Kent were at the event at Chelsea Home for the pensioners.

The focus is where the press chooses to put it and they look at who sells and nothing else - not who is the more important, or which event is more important but who sells and that is William, Kate and Harry.

If William and Kate had gone to the Chelsea event and the Michael's of Kent gone to Belgium the press would have covered the Chelsea event and ignored the event in Belgium. For the press it is simple economics.

I read earlier from somewhere that heads of states and representants were invited from almost 90 countries. Maybe Felipe just wanted to attend and show his respect, as many other countries send their ministers or ambassadors. I think that it is a great gesture from Felipe.

Don Felipe would already attend as representant of Spain. That was before the abdication. Now he is King, but he has not changed his agenda, so now he was visiting this event as King of Spain. It caused some confusion, like here in this forum, but in the end it was nice of Don Felipe. Who could have been in his place? The old King and Queen? The Infantas who are all sidelined now? Queen Letizia all alone on a foreign tour? So he went himself, no problem.

Court Circular 4 August 2014

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: ...Her Majesty this evening attended a Service of Commemoration in Crathie Parish Church to mark the Centenary of the First World War.

... [FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]The Duke of Edinburgh[/FONT][/FONT] this evening attended a Commemoration Service in Sandringham Parish Church to mark the Centenary of the First World War.

CLARENCE HOUSE: The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay this morning attended a Commonwealth Commemoration Service in Glasgow Cathedral on the Centenary of the outbreak of the First World War and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of the City of Glasgow (Councillor Sadie Docherty, the Rt. Hon. the Lord Provost).

His Royal Highness afterwards attended a Reception at Glasgow City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow.

The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay subsequently laid a wreath in George Square and took the salute at a march past.

The Duchess of Cornwall this evening attended a Commemoration Service in Westminster Abbey on the Centenary of the outbreak of the First World War.

KENSINGTON PALACE: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning attended a Ceremony at Cointe Interallied Memorial, Liege, Belgium, to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War in the presence of The King and Queen of Belgium.

Their Royal Highnesses were entertained to Luncheon by Their Majesties at the Prince-Bishops' Palace, Liege, this afternoon.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales this evening visited Mons Town Hall.

Their Royal Highnesses afterwards attended a Reception with the families of soldiers buried at St. Symphorien Cemetery.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Henry of Wales, representing The Queen, subsequently attended a British Ceremony at St. Symphorien Cemetery to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War.

Their Royal Highnesses later arrived at Royal Air Force Northolt from Belgium. Mr. Miguel Head, Miss Rebecca Deacon, Mr. Edward Lane Fox, Dr. Edward Perkins, Captain Florian Graham-Watson and Major James Lowther-Pinkerton were in attendance.

KENSINGTON PALACE: Prince Henry of Wales this morning unveiled a Memorial Arch in Folkestone during a Service of Commemoration to mark the Centenary of the First World War and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Kent (the Viscount De L'Isle).

His Royal Highness this afternoon departed Lydd Airport for Belgium. Mr. Edward Lane Fox is in attendance.

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Duke of York this evening attended a Commemoration Service in the Cathedral Church of Saint Anne, Belfast, to mark the Centenary of the First World War and was received by Sir Nigel Hamilton (Vice Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast).

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Earl and Countess of Wessex this evening attended a Service of Commemoration in Guildford Cathedral to mark the Centenary of the First World War and were received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Surrey (Dame Sarah Goad).

BUCKINGHAM PALACE: The Princess Royal, accompanied by Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, today visited the Isle of Wight and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant Major General Martin White).

...The Princess Royal afterwards attended a Vigil Service at the Chapel of St. Nicholas in Castro, Carisbrooke Castle, Newport, to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War.

KENSINGTON PALACE: The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, this evening attended a Service in Llandaff Cathedral to commemorate the Centenary of the First World War and were received by Her Majesty' s Lord-Lieutenant of South Glamorgan (Dr. Peter Beck).

ST. JAMES'S PALACE: The Duke of Kent, President, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and President of the Board of Trustees, Imperial War Museum, this afternoon opened the "Fields of Battle, Lands of Peace" exhibition in St. James's Park, London SW1.

:previous::previous: An extremely diverse and complicated usage of the BRF Firm by it's CEO, HM the Queen. One can only say . . . the UK and the Commonwealth were extremely well served by the BRF on such an important occasion. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom