The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post

I don't remember Camilla or Sophie being criticised for smiling at solemn events in the same way Kate has been.
Both Camilla and Sophie have had their fierce criticisms written in vomit, vitriol and poison. Now both ladies have faded into the background and Miss Middleton, the newcomer, has taken the spotlights. Now she is the favorite target. The Daily Mail has the best pictures but is also the worst tabloid of all. It is especially worse because when you buy The Sun or The Mirror, you know you are reading an absolute rag. The Daily Mail however presents itself as a serious newspaper and does not have the same "trash" feel as The Sun or The Mirror. That is the danger of the Daily Mail, it gives some credibility to the most insane stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I don't understand the protocol for the seating arrangements or the speeches myself. William was outranked by every other Royal in attendance.
The Duke of Cambridge represented the United Kingdom, together with France and Germany THE most important West-European countries battling in Flanders and Northern France. This is shown by the prominent seatings of Mr Hollande, Mr Gauck and the Duke. Of course there were also Austria-Hungary, Russia, the Ottoman Empire, etc. in Central- and East Europe.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
great event, the world wars have been such important events in modern history that it is good to see they organised a very proper event to commemorate it. i was however surprised not to see more monarchy representation...

kate looked spotless as usual. however, i was surprised by the protocol: why did william get to pronounce a speech, together with king Philippe of the begians and not felipe, who outranks him?

shame guillaume didn't bring his belgian-born wife, it would have been very fitting for her to attend the commemoration in her country.
Luxembourg of course was also invaded and occupied by the Germans even before they rolled into Belgium, so, in a way, the ceremony was remembering that too and Guillaume's presence made sense.

August 4th marks the day of the violation of Belgian neutrality when Britain declared war on Germany. I believe Germany had already previously declared war on France on August 3rd and the Germans invaded Belgium precisely to get into France and catch the French army off-guard. Prince William spoke representing the Queen, interestingly not only as the monarch of the United Kingdom, but actually as "Head of the Commonwealth" as he said in his speech. That means he was representing not only the UK, but Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India and other territories of the British Empire which, in 1914, were not independent nations yet and, therefore, on August 4th, automatically entered into war with Germany together with the UK.

President Gauck spoke representing Germany, while president Hollande represented France, the other major part to the war. And, of course, the Belgian prime minister and King Phillipe were there as representatives of the invaded nation. What I fail to see is what Felipe VI was doing in Belgium, considering that Spain was neutral in WWI !

Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Majesty

Prince William and Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, in Liège | Blogs•Spletnik.ru

It would have been nice, if King Felipe's and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume's spouses were in attendance too.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
What I fail to see is what Felipe VI was doing in Belgium, considering that Spain was neutral in WWI !
King Felipe attended because he was invited, like other heads of state and representatives of more than 80 countries.
World leaders commemorate WWI outbreak - Daily News News IOL.co.za

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It would have been nice, if King Felipe's and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume's spouses were in attendance too. [/FONT]
We can see from this photo that most of the invited guests attended without their spouses.
http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Listas...4_lieja_08.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

8:30pm William & Catherine and Harry will attend a Commemoration Event at Saint Symphorien Military Cemetery.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Harry smiling at fellow attendees today. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BuNMWNlIIAAvcu6.jpg
Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Heir Apparent

We in Belgium are deeply impressed by the 2 Speeches of the President of Germany.
He wanted personally to go to Leuven , our Unversity since 1425 where the Germans destroyed one of the world most important Library of the world.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarat View Post
Lovely photos. Very moving indeed.
Kate does look stunning.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
We in Belgium are deeply impressed by the 2 Speeches of the President of Germany.
He wanted personally to go to Leuven , our Unversity since 1425 where the Germans destroyed one of the world most important Library of the world.
As a Lutheran pastor and former civil rights campaigner in East Germany, Mr. Gauck must feel very strongly about unjustified aggression. I only heard his speech in Liège, where he was genuinely apologizing on behalf of Germany for the suffering his country caused to Belgium in the past. I wonder how Germans at home reacted to the speech though. Have they found it too apologetic ?
Old 08-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Serene Highness

The German Presidents speech impressed very many people here in Britain too. His acknowledgement of the utterly unjustified aggression against Belgium answers the question that many here [and elsewhere] have asked - why did we go to war in 1914 ?

It was good, and fitting that he spoke in this way, on the centenary of perhaps THE most formative event in modern World History, and one that has shaped all our todays.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Live Video Coverage-On Now-
LIVE: herdenking Eerste Wereldoorlog | VTM NIEUWS

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
... [snipped]
We can see from this photo that most of the invited guests attended without their spouses.
http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Listas...4_lieja_08.jpg
The European attendance protocol is as odd as Europe. Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie could have attended. I highly doubt her agenda was very busy.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2....html#comments

The above link contains various photos from Commemoration of WWI in Belgium. King Felipe is such a charming gentleman.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Prince William and Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge, in Liège | Blogs•Spletnik.ru

It would have been nice, if King Felipe's and Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume's spouses were in attendance too.
I agree. Especially Princess Stephanie since she was a Belgian citizen till a couple of years ago
Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As a Lutheran pastor and former civil rights campaigner in East Germany, Mr. Gauck must feel very strongly about unjustified aggression. I only heard his speech in Liège, where he was genuinely apologizing on behalf of Germany for the suffering his country caused to Belgium in the past. I wonder how Germans at home reacted to the speech though. Have they found it too apologetic ?
From what I heard on the news and on a discussion panel of phoenic (one of the high quality chanels focusing on documentaries and and serious reporting), the speech of President Gauck was very well received here in Germany. Commentators said the he found the right kind of words in his speech. Mr. Gauck is very well respected here, and I doubt that there will be criticism of his speech.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Harry joins Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge in Belgium for WWI remembrance
Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Just watching the Presidents of Ireland and Germany with the King of the Belgians and Duke of Cambridge laying wreaths.

(200,000 Irishmen fought in the Great War)
Old 08-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

A very touching ceremony indeed. Very proud of the royals too. They represented their countries beautifully.

Videos:
The St Symphorien Commemoration Event is being hosted by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWCG) and will be attended by William, Kate and Harry as well as the King and Queen of the Belgium and senior representatives from the UK, Ireland, Germany, France and Canada. The cemetery carries particular symbolism as it contains near-equal numbers of British and Commonwealth, and German soldiers, including the graves of the first British soldier killed on the Western Front-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...OYAL%20TURNOUT

The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a service of commemoration to mark the start of the First World War at Sandringham Church. He arrives with a female priest-
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...%20SANDRINGHAM

The Queen will attend a service of commemoration at Crathie Kirk, Ballater, Aberdeenshire to mark the start of the First World War. .
http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTer...TION%20SERVICE

British Royals @britishroyals · 1m
After a moving memorial in Mons, Will, Kate & Harry fly to London this evening. They continue WW1 commemorations at Tower of London tomorrow

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

More pics

"Hola": Felipe VI participa en su primera 'cumbre' real como Rey de España

"Hello": Kate Middleton, Prince William and Prince Harry visit Belgium - hellomagazine.com
Old 08-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Royal Highness

The Belgian Royal House has posted the full text of King Philippe's speech today.

In English and Dutch: De Belgische Monarchie: Home - Actualités - Agenda - Toespraak van Zijne Majesteit de Koning - Herdenking van de Eerste Wereldoorlog - (Nl - Engl)

In French and German: La Monarchie belge: Accueil - Actualités - Agenda - Discours de Sa Majesté le Roi - Commémoration de la Première Guerre Mondiale - (Fr - De)
Old 08-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love seeing Catherine at these kind of events when other royals attend. That way she gets to now more of them and who knows maybe getting them on her circle of friends.
I would be very happy to see all day, events like this, Catherine and other royals, I absolutey love that!

Tags
belgium, commemoration, duchess of cambridge, duke of cambridge, hereditary grand duke guillaume, king felipe vi, king philippe, president gauck, president hollande, prince harry, queen mathilde, world war i