Centenary of Passchendaele – The Third Battle of Ypres: July 30 & 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To put this in perspective: this was very much a British commemoration on Belgian soil. In this respect the king & queen of the Belgians played a hosting, more withdrawn part.

The spactacle at Ypres Grand Place was completely organized by the BBC - with help from the local authorities of course.

I'm glad we still remember all these poor people who had the misfortune to have to be slaughtered because of nationalist politics. When you go to Ypres you will meet British war tourists aplenty, any day of the year. The region thrives on it still. It's a place and a horror you never forget, even though nowadays it's beautiful and peaceful. The first world war was completely pointless, a waste of millions of lives also of civilians. It weakened Europe to this day. That's also something we shoudn't forget.

I'm going to make a very shallow comment about this.
Charles is usually one of the best dressed royal men out there, the cut of his suits is impeccable and he dresses the part for every ocassion.
Here he looked completely out of place and nothing truly matched, the suit was too light, didn't match his shirt or tie or shoes.
Don't know what to make of this, probably the only time he was the worst dressed man in the "room" so to speak ;)

To put this in perspective: this was very much a British commemoration on Belgian soil. In this respect the king & queen of the Belgians played a hosting, more withdrawn part.

The spactacle at Ypres Grand Place was completely organized by the BBC - with help from the local authorities of course.

I'm glad we still remember all these poor people who had the misfortune to have to be slaughtered because of nationalist politics. When you go to Ypres you will meet British war tourists aplenty, any day of the year. The region thrives on it still. It's a place and a horror you never forget, even though nowadays it's beautiful and peaceful. The first world war was completely pointless, a waste of millions of lives also of civilians. It weakened Europe to this day. That's also something we shoudn't forget.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
It was apparent this was a British ceremony on Belgian soil and Philippe and Mathilde were invited to attend as King and Queen of the people those soldiers saved and freed from the invaders during WW1. The very same people who honours those soldiers each day in Ypres out of profound respect and gratitude for their sacrifice.
That's what I saw in Philippe's and Mathilde's behaviour and what I heard in Philippe's words.

Leidi, I agree with you about Charles. I get it's a summer outfit (light coloured suits were very popular among upper classes in the past) but the overall result is a bit messy.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
It was apparent this was a British ceremony on Belgian soil and Philippe and Mathilde were invited to attend as King and Queen of the people those soldiers saved and freed from the invaders during WW1. The very same people who honours those soldiers each day in Ypres out of profound respect and gratitude for their sacrifice.
That's what I saw in Philippe's and Mathilde's behaviour and what I heard in Philippe's words.

I would like to add that , although most of the Belgian army was either destroyed or captured during the intial German invasion in 1914, the Belgians were not just passively "saved and freed" by foreign soldiers, but rather took part in the actual fighting. In fact, the Belgian army, even when it was reduced to very small numbers, remained in active combat throughout the war and was able to hold a line at Yser up until 1918. King Philippe's great-grandfather, King Albert I, stayed in unoccupied Belgian territory for the entire duration of the war and took personal command of what was left of the Belgian army after the German invasion, of course now integrated into a much bigger allied force. Belgian forces also fought the Germans in Central Africa (in defense of the Belgian Congo) and occupied sections of western Ruanda (then a German colony).

Not just the British - Canadian, Australian, New Zealand, South African, Indian etc from all the Commonwealth countries (then Empire). Also French, Belgian and Moroccan.

It's a very lovely residence-don't blame the Cambridges for wanting to stay there!?

The residence is lovely, but doesn't compare of course to the Royal Castle of Laken. I suppose it was more convenient for the Cambridges to stay there though rather than making a longer trip to and from Brussels.

I am glad to see that W&K are slowly getting to know their fellow European royals better and are building a relationship with them. Let's hope now for a possible Scandinavian tour by the Cambridges as it has been rumored !

The commemorations were very poignant and I particularly liked how they scattered poppy leaves around the graves. I thought William - and Philippe's - speeches were good too.

The residence is lovely, but doesn't compare of course to the Royal Castle of Laken. I suppose it was more convenient for the Cambridges to stay there though rather than making a longer trip to and from Brussels.

I am glad to see that W&K are slowly getting to know their fellow European royals better and are building a relationship with them. Let's hope now for a possible Scandinavian tour by the Cambridges as it has been rumored !

I agree - it was great to see the Cambridges interacting with Philippe and Mathilde. I do hope they get to go to Scandinavia, it would be great to see them with any of the Scandinavian royals.

that's exactly what the article says ?

I'm going to make a very shallow comment about this.
Charles is usually one of the best dressed royal men out there, the cut of his suits is impeccable and he dresses the part for every ocassion.
Here he looked completely out of place and nothing truly matched, the suit was too light, didn't match his shirt or tie or shoes.
Don't know what to make of this, probably the only time he was the worst dressed man in the "room" so to speak ;)

I agree. And because it's so rare to see Charles even a little dishevelled it's all the more noticeable. It was nice to see him with William and Catherine, though, and it was great to see them all interacting with Philippe and Mathilde at such a poignant occasion.

Back
Top Bottom