Centenary of Passchendaele – The Third Battle of Ypres: July 30 & 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
William and Kate walk through the central aisle of the cemetery in Passchendaele to the Cross of Sacrifice and Stone of Remembrance where they will attend a ceremony that will take place later in the day.

I don't mind recycling, especially for a somber occasion. But I think she should have worn something darker, an half-mourning colour, like lavander or mauve. Mathilde herself wore black at the very same ceremony in the past, but probably turn to a lighter tone due to the heat. And she looked every inch of a Queen last night.

White is mourning colour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning#White_mourning

I don't mind recycling, especially for a somber occasion. But I think she should have worn something darker, an half-mourning colour, like lavander or mauve. Mathilde herself wore black at the very same ceremony in the past, but probably turn to a lighter tone due to the heat. And she looked every inch of a Queen last night.

She wore a full mourning colour. Why would she insult the dead by wearing only half-mourning rather than full-mourning? I don't understand that concept.

She wore the same colour The Queen wore to Vimy Ridge in 2007.

The Queen Mother wore a total white wardrobe in 1938 on the State Visit to France three weeks after her own mother had died. The reason she wore white was that she had a choice - white or black - the colours of full-mourning. She felt that white was preferable and so wore white throughout.

I know, but you agree with me the general perception of propriety in mourning in Europe has been shaped by the standards set during Victorian/Edwardian era among upper classes so nowadays in western countries black is the conventional colour of mourning, whereas white is the exception (even if it was the rule in the past). Plus in Catholic countries black has been the colour used for sacred vestments in funerals pre 1967 Council.

The Queen wore white at the Vimy Ridge memorial in 2007. Catholic France didn't have a problem. It's bizarre how people have to have a dig at Catherine no matter what regardless of the facts.

Plus can we keep the fashion discussions confined to the fashion threads.

The Queen wore white at the Vimy Ridge memorial in 2007. Catholic France didn't have a problem.

Neither did the vey Catholic Queen Fabiola at King Baudouin's funeral.

I will never forget what I saw this morning on Dutch TV. The Prince of Wales , the Dukes of Cambridge , Vice Amiral lawrence hosted at Thyne Cote Cimetary a Commemoration to the more that 500.000 dead during the first World War. A lot of their descendents from GB and C. where there and spoke .
The very last were the Dukes of Cambridge who put flowers and Prince William said for all the Soldiers of the First World War.
The King and Queen of the Belgians attented without any charisma as always

Queen Mathilde is as queen as always, everyone is in proper outfit for this event.

I am curious when I see the Belgian officials (?) curtsy to the Cambridges: did the Cambridges bow/curtsy to the King and Queen? I have not seen that from the video (the video doesn't even show they met:huh:).

:previous: When they come face to face I am sure they will. They have been in the "game" long enough now to not make that kind of faux pas . :cool:

Everyone looks fantastic...I love both Kate and Mathilde's outfits.

Queen Mathilde is as queen as always, everyone is in proper outfit for this event.

I am curious when I see the Belgian officials (?) curtsy to the Cambridges: did the Cambridges bow/curtsy to the King and Queen? I have not seen that from the video (the video doesn't even show they met:huh:).

I saw Theresa May curtsey to the Cambridges.

:previous: When they come face to face I am sure they will. They have been in the "game" long enough now to not make that kind of faux pas . :cool:

Everyone looks fantastic...I love both Kate and Mathilde's outfits.

I expected they have, but I feel weird when I see the video as it doesn't show the greeting. Normally news video clips would show that before it goes to the "main content"

I haven't seen any pictures of W&K bowing/curtsying to Philippe and Mathilde this time, but they definitely did it in 2014 when they were also in Belgium for the centenary of the outbreak of World War I.

I am pretty sure they must have curtsied/bowed this time too, as all British royals observe that custom.

Last edited:
I will never forget what I saw this morning on Dutch TV. The Prince of Wales , the Dukes of Cambridge , Vice Amiral lawrence hosted at Thyne Cote Cimetary a Commemoration to the more that 500.000 dead during the first World War. A lot of their descendents from GB and C. where there and spoke .
The very last were the Dukes of Cambridge who put flowers and Prince William said for all the Soldiers of the First World War.

I wonder what do you consider charisma? :ermm:

I mean, this was a solemn act, did you expect them to greet the people like they did at the National Day? :ermm:

Philippe is a reserved man by nature, yet he always has a smile and a word for everyone he meets, Mathilde is the perfect host and always makes everyone welcome.

And for those who say that "everything is a dig at Catherine", well this is basically the first time I've ever said anything about her, next time I'll know better and will not post my opinion because it is offensive to say that she's not flawless :nonono:

That is a little bit harsh on Their Majesties, don't you think ? As a foreigner, I think Mathilde has a lot of charisma and I like Philippe's shy and humble persona.

I wonder why Camilla didn't accompany Prince Charles. Is she sick or did she have another engagement ?

I wonder what do you consider charisma? :ermm:

I mean, this was a solemn act, did you expect them to greet the people like they did at the National Day? :ermm:

Philippe is a reserved man by nature, yet he always has a smile and a word for everyone he meets, Mathilde is the perfect host and always makes everyone welcome.

And for those who say that "everything is a dig at Catherine", well this is basically the first time I've ever said anything about her, next time I'll know better and will not post my opinion because it is offensive to say that she's not flawless :nonono:

Very excellent point. This was a commemoration to honor men who sacrificed their lives in one of most brutal conflicts the world has ever seen.

Were the Royals expected to dazzle the audience with "charisma" (whatever the *&% that means!)or honor these heroic soldiers?:sad:

As a foreign observer I feel that TM Philippe and Mathilde are the best thing to happen to Belgium since Baudouin and Fabiola. I cannot believe the Belgians don't appreciate how lucky they are to have such a king and queen.:ermm:

Last edited:

Charles and William gave a bow of the head and Catherine curtsied.

I saw Theresa May curtsey to the Cambridges.

She gave a proper curtsy to Charles, William and Catherine but when it came to Philippe and Mathilde it took her all her time to even give a slight bend of the knee. She's obviously one of those Brits who think foreign royals don't really count. Watching the news on British TV you wouldn't even know that the King and Queen were there as they have barely been mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought King Philippe's speech last night at Ypres was wonderful -dignified and heartfelt. He may not be flashy but he has sincerity and dedication APLENTY.

I am astonished you are actually saying something like that about Philippe and Mathilde, especially after the moving, heartfelt speech His Majesty made yesterday during the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. They are extremely dignified and they pay attention to what they do and when they do it. They were not there, as someone said before me, to greet people or being all smiley and affectionate. They were there to honour thousands of soldiers who died in the battlefield. I am sure you can tell the difference yourself.

Videos from ITN Productions: (Former ITN Source)

The Prince of Wales has officially opened the Zonnebeke Church Dugout, which forms part of the Memorial Museum Passchendaele. Charles was joined by the King and Queen of Belgium for the ceremony near Ypres, Belgium. Earlier, the royals had attended a memorial service honouring the thousands who lost their lives during the Battle of Passchendaele 100 years ago:
https://itnproductions.com/news/video-prince-charles-opens-zonnebeke-church-dugout?type=raw

The Prince of Wales has spoken and laid a wreath at a Welsh National Service of Remembrance held to honour the soldiers who lost their lives in the Battle of Passchendaele exactly 100 years ago:
https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...-in-memory-of-passchendaele-soldiers?type=raw

Prince Charles has visited the British Memorial Garden at Passchendaele to mark the centenary of one of the bloddiest campaigns of the First World War:
https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...-uk-memorial-garden-at-passchendaele?type=raw

Britain's Prince Charles and the Belgian King and Queen have met with veterans to mark the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele:
https://itnproductions.com/news/vid...war-horse-at-passchendaele-landscape?type=raw

Thanks Royal Norway for Sharing the different places the Prince of Wales went to.

So happy to see these people who gave their life for us very well remembered

I am astonished you are actually saying something like that about Philippe and Mathilde, especially after the moving, heartfelt speech His Majesty made yesterday during the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. They are extremely dignified and they pay attention to what they do and when they do it. They were not there, as someone said before me, to greet people or being all smiley and affectionate. They were there to honour thousands of soldiers who died in the battlefield. I am sure you can tell the difference yourself.

Unfortunately it seems some people would base their judgements on royals turning up in the latest fashionable outfit or being young and attractive enough to command the newspaper headlines. To me a good royal is someone who serves their country well; showing empathy and dignity, something both Philippe and Mathilde have done on many many occasions (as have W,K & Charles IMO).

Back to the events:

PRince of Wales carried out 3 in total according to the CC :

His Royal Highness, on behalf of The Queen, afterwards attended the United Kingdom Passchendaele Centenary Commemorations at Tyne Cot Cemetery in the presence of The King and Queen of the Belgians.

The Prince of Wales later attended the Welsh Passchendaele Centenary Commemorations at Langemark,
before visiting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery at Artillery Wood.

Duke and Duchess carried out 2:

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this morning visited Bedford House Cemetery, Rijselseweg, Ieper (Ypres), Belgium.
Their Royal Highnesses this afternoon attended the Commemoration Service marking the Centenary of the Battle of Passchendaele at Tyne Cot Cemetery, Vijfwegestraat, Zonnebeke.

Charles flew in from Scotland - now back there
Duchess and Duchess stayed over from yesterday and flew back to RAF Marham today.

Unfortunately it seems some people would base their judgements on royals turning up in the latest fashionable outfit or being young and attractive enough to command the newspaper headlines. To me a good royal is someone who serves their country well; showing empathy and dignity, something both Philippe and Mathilde have done on many many occasions (as have W,K & Charles IMO).

:previous: :previous: :previous:
A hundred times this.

Back
Top Bottom