The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2017, 02:06 AM
Majesty

I have to agree. Not a lot of thought went into this engagement. Somehow the light-hearted white dress from Charlotte's Christening and the white fascinator from a TOTC which doesn't quite suit it doesn't quite cut it at a WWI Memorial.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:17 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For me, it wouldn't matter if Kate wore a gunny sack and a flowerpot for a hat. This is the Cambridges doing what they're going to be doing for the rest of their lives at commemorative occasions such as this one was. Its the bread and butter of representing a nation with dignity and grace.

WWI was the war to end all wars. It is coming together with other nations in remembrance that keeps alive the resolve to avoid history repeating itself.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Kate looked great but I think she should have worn something new, an outfit used for a christening shouldn't be recycled for a war commemoration IMO.

Why should the clothes not be recycled? I think she did the right thing by using clothes previously worn. Classic clothes should stand the test of time, and the versatility of the coat dress was demonstrated by a change of hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I have to agree. Not a lot of thought went into this engagement. Somehow the light-hearted white dress from Charlotte's Christening and the white fascinator from a TOTC which doesn't quite suit it doesn't quite cut it at a WWI Memorial.
I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. I think a lot of thought probably did go into choosing her clothes. It was a classic and elegant dress, that can be used in a variety of engagements.

To me, there was nothing "light-hearted" about the dress. Between the two events at which the coat dress was worn, the "tone" of the ensemble was altered by the hat used. For the christening, there was a happy, almost exuberant hat with flowers. For the commemoration, there was a much plainer and calmer hat.

As W&C settle into their full time roles and undertake a wider range of engagements, I would like to see her go down this route of better utilising her wardrobe, and subtly changing the tone of her outfits by altering the accessories.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Live Video Coverage: Starts at 11am on BBC ONE
BBC One - World War One Remembered: Passchendaele

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-31-2017, 03:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Reading by The Duke of Cambridge at the Last Post ceremony in Belgium: https://www.royal.uk/reading-duke-ca...remony-belgium

Some videos from YouTube:

Old 07-31-2017, 04:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Did the Cambridges stay overnight in Belgium ? I wonder if King Philippe and Queen Mathilde may have invited them to stay at the Castle of Laeken .
That is certainly a possibility.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Why should the clothes not be recycled? I think she did the right thing by using clothes previously worn. Classic clothes should stand the test of time, and the versatility of the coat dress was demonstrated by a change of hat.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you on this one. I think a lot of thought probably did go into choosing her clothes. It was a classic and elegant dress, that can be used in a variety of engagements.

To me, there was nothing "light-hearted" about the dress. Between the two events at which the coat dress was worn, the "tone" of the ensemble was altered by the hat used. For the christening, there was a happy, almost exuberant hat with flowers. For the commemoration, there was a much plainer and calmer hat.

As W&C settle into their full time roles and undertake a wider range of engagements, I would like to see her go down this route of better utilising her wardrobe, and subtly changing the tone of her outfits by altering the accessories.
I agree. She fits in tone very much with Mathilde. If Mathilde can wear shiny dress and shoes, detailed lace and swirly hat elements, I think Kate in creme/white (a half mourning colour btw) was rather subdued in comparison. I think they both dressed well. A bit more "dressed up" than the general public and other dignitaries, as fits with their roles.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree. She fits in tone very much with Mathilde. If Mathilde can wear shiny dress and shoes, detailed lace and swirly hat elements, I think Kate in creme/white (a half mourning colour btw) was rather subdued in comparison. I think they both dressed well. A bit more "dressed up" than the general public and other dignitaries, as fits with their roles.
White is actually a colour for full mourning. The Queen Mother wore full white throughout the State Visit to France in 1938 when she was in full mourning for her mother. The tour was only three weeks after her mother died. Her mother had died five days before the tour was due to start and in the intervening three weeks and five days an entire new wardrobe, totally in white, was created for her.

The Queen also wore white to her Coronation when she should have been in full mourning for Queen Mary (of course Queen Mary had decreed that 'mourning for a Queen Regnant should not delay the coronation of a full Queen Regnant' but the timing still means the Queen was in full mourning for her grandmother.

The Queen herself wore white to Vimy Ridge in 2007.

It should also be noted that Queen Victoria was criticised for wearing the mourning colour to her wedding in 1840.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Royal Highness

Centenary of Passchendaele – The Third Battle of Ypres: July 30 & 31, 2017

Helen Mirren tells the story

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.en..._ENG/1.3036407

and reads the In Flanders Fields poem

https://www.facebook.com/een/videos/10155446379030330/

The Last Post at the Menin Gate.

https://www.facebook.com/vrtnws/vide...6402074224622/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menin_Gate

It is performed every night at 20:00.
Very impressive to witness.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Prince of Wales will lead senior royals and politicians in commemorating the centenary of one of the bloodiest offensives of the First World War.

Charles, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prime Minister Theresa May will be among those attending a ceremony marking 100 years since the Battle of Passchendaele.

More than 100 days of fighting in the summer and autumn of 1917, starting on July 31, left more than half a million men dead or injured on both sides.
Read more: Battle of Passchendaele centenary: Prince Charles joins Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at ceremony
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Mathilde is so regal, you see her and immediately think "Queen". There's something timeless about her, it's wonderful to see, she's so dignified.

Kate looked great but I think she should have worn something new, an outfit used for a christening shouldn't be recycled for a war commemoration IMO.
I don't mind recycling, especially for a somber occasion. But I think she should have worn something darker, an half-mourning colour, like lavander or mauve. Mathilde herself wore black at the very same ceremony in the past, but probably turn to a lighter tone due to the heat. And she looked every inch of a Queen last night.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

"Kate and William honour Britain's bravest: Royals pay solemn visit to war graves in Ypres as they commemorate the centenary of the Battle of Passchendaele - where half a million soldiers fell"

Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

William and Kate walk through the central aisle of the cemetery in Passchendaele to the Cross of Sacrifice and Stone of Remembrance where they will attend a ceremony that will take place later in the day.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
I don't mind recycling, especially for a somber occasion. But I think she should have worn something darker, an half-mourning colour, like lavander or mauve. Mathilde herself wore black at the very same ceremony in the past, but probably turn to a lighter tone due to the heat. And she looked every inch of a Queen last night.
White is mourning colour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning#White_mourning
Old 07-31-2017, 09:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
She wore a full mourning colour. Why would she insult the dead by wearing only half-mourning rather than full-mourning? I don't understand that concept.

She wore the same colour The Queen wore to Vimy Ridge in 2007.

The Queen Mother wore a total white wardrobe in 1938 on the State Visit to France three weeks after her own mother had died. The reason she wore white was that she had a choice - white or black - the colours of full-mourning. She felt that white was preferable and so wore white throughout.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
I know, but you agree with me the general perception of propriety in mourning in Europe has been shaped by the standards set during Victorian/Edwardian era among upper classes so nowadays in western countries black is the conventional colour of mourning, whereas white is the exception (even if it was the rule in the past). Plus in Catholic countries black has been the colour used for sacred vestments in funerals pre 1967 Council.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen wore white at the Vimy Ridge memorial in 2007. Catholic France didn't have a problem. It's bizarre how people have to have a dig at Catherine no matter what regardless of the facts.

Plus can we keep the fashion discussions confined to the fashion threads.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Queen wore white at the Vimy Ridge memorial in 2007. Catholic France didn't have a problem.
Neither did the vey Catholic Queen Fabiola at King Baudouin's funeral.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I will never forget what I saw this morning on Dutch TV. The Prince of Wales , the Dukes of Cambridge , Vice Amiral lawrence hosted at Thyne Cote Cimetary a Commemoration to the more that 500.000 dead during the first World War. A lot of their descendents from GB and C. where there and spoke .
The very last were the Dukes of Cambridge who put flowers and Prince William said for all the Soldiers of the First World War.
The King and Queen of the Belgians attented without any charisma as always
Old 07-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Aristocracy

No Mathilde's fotos?