70th Anniversary of the Liberation of Auschwitz: January 27, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love this. I only wish he and the Duchess had gone.
I don't think that would have been their decision. Since no royal was there I think the government did not request/want a royal representative at this event.

Truly moving ceremony, especially the survivors' speeches are heart-breaking. The Polish Presidential couple is sitting between the Royal couples of Netherlands and Belgium.

Steven Spielberg is also present. They've just screened premiere of his short documentary film Auschwitz, narrated by Meryl Streep, with music composed by Hans Zimmer. A very informative and inspiring movie.

Given the list of attendees, President Putin's absence is understandable. Most of EU representatives are just cabinet members and government ministers. I am surprised that the UK had a fit of generosity and dispatched Foreign Minister to the ceremony.
I don't quite understand what's your point.
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Germany, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia - 12 EU member countries are represented by theirs heads of state. Additionally, two more are represented by the heirs apparent to their thrones and one is represented by its Prime Minister. The other EU members are represented by less ranking officials, some of them being mere ambassadors, but mostly ministers of government.
I;ve just noticed that Israel is represented by its Minister of Culture. Shocking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steven Spielberg is also present. They've just screened premiere of his short documentary film Auschwitz, narrated by Meryl Streep, with music composed by Hans Zimmer. A very informative and inspiring movie.

When does the movie come out on DVD/ what channels are airing it on TV?

I don't quite understand what's your point.
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, France, Germany, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia - 12 EU member countries are represented by theirs heads of state. Additionally, two more are represented by the heirs apparent to their thrones and one is represented by its Prime Minister. The other EU members are represented by less ranking officials, some of them being mere ambassadors, but mostly ministers of government.
I;ve just noticed that Israel is represented by its Minister of Culture. Shocking.

Finland is represented by the speaker of the Parliament, who is second in rank after our President. Prime minister is only third in rank in Finland.

When does the movie come out on DVD/ what channels are airing it on TV?
I don't think it will be distributed on DVD/blue ray as it is a short subject and additionally, a non-profit project. Most probably youtube or sth.

It was screened there at Auschwitz memorial to the participants and was also simultaneously aired in the live TV coverage, so I'm pretty sure that every TV channel in the world televising the ceremony aired this premiere. I've watched this on BBC.

Thanks. I'll look on the news channel on TV later. IMO, they should put it on DVD.

Crown princess Victoria gave an interview to SVT (Swedish television), video
”En av mänsklighetens absolut värsta perioder” | SVT Play

Crown Princess Victoria: "Nazism is something horrific"
SVT reporter Rolf Fredriksson is in place at the memorial ceremony at Auschwitz and had a short interview with the Crown Princess, who traveled to the extermination camp with Holocaust survivors living in Sweden.
- It is extremely important for me to be here and it is important that this ceremony is held. To highlight the Holocaust, Auschwitz and the people who have been affected. We must not forget what we can learn from history. It is important that we gather here. That we remember and listen to the stories that exist and pass them on.

Last edited:
Finland is represented by the speaker of the Parliament, who is second in rank after our President. Prime minister is only third in rank in Finland.

Yes, you are absolutely right! I've missed this.

One more correction:
I've just spotted the President of Lithuania, also an EU member state. She was not on that list I've posted before, as according to it her country was to be represented by its Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Given the list of attendees, President Putin's absence is understandable. Most of EU representatives are just cabinet members and government ministers. I am surprised that the UK had a fit of generosity and dispatched Foreign Minister to the ceremony.

So, there are 16 heads of state present, including 13 EU heads of state.

Pretty bad that the House of Windsor was not represented given that Prince Edward went 10 years ago for the 60th Anniversary, but enough said on that topic.

Lovely to see so many people there, Royal or not, and it's an emotive subject that deserves this recognition.

A touched Prince x , Prince y says......
Nothing to me with what I heard and saw about this terrible Tragedy :
1.800.000 people lost their lives , only thousand
survivals

Last edited:
For me, this anniversary isn't about a line up of a who's who from where that attended but the fact that, all over the globe, humanity is taking time to pause and remembering a period of darkness where man's inhumanity to man was expressed in some of the most heinous ways that can be imagined. I am hoping those that did attend walk away deeply touched and with a firm resolve to strive to never ever allow something like this to happen again.

It would be interesting to be able to read what those impressions were. My mother visited the site many years ago and remarked that there was quite an eerie complete stillness surrounding Auschwitz. Today I think I am going to try and find my copy of Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning". Written by an Auschwitz survivor, it gives an intimate insight into what went on there.

:previous:

I believe that those were for Polish christians who were in the camp.

Last edited:
Anne Frank Trust @AnneFrankTrust · 5h 5 hours ago
"What is done cannot be undone, but one can prevent it happening again" - Anne, 7th May 1944
#HolocaustMemorialDay

It is a shame no one from the House of Windsor saw fit to go.

Back
Top Bottom