The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Since Guillaume is a direct heir, most if not all the Gotha will send their "first string Royals" to the wedding, am I correct?

Will Britain send the Cambridges or the Wessexes, I wonder?

It always seems to be the Wessexes.
To be honest, I'm tired of seeing them.

(Also, it gives the impression that the more high-ranking members of the BRF have better things to do. They shuld really send someone else; what about Harry?)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

To be honest, Britain should send whoever Guillaume and Stephanie want to attend. If they send an invite to the Wessexes, then I see no problem with that. It is after all their wedding.
This all depends of course on the date, if anything to clash with the Olympics or Jubilee celebrations then I doubt we'll see anyone.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes of course; I was rather assuming that Guillaume and Stephanie wouldn't have a preference.
But perhaps they do.

As for the date, I'm sure they will consider potential conflicts; I am expecting a date in late September or early October.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
If she does pick Natan, I personally think the designer would do a great job since he made Mathilde's and Claire's wedding dresses, which were very beautiful to me.
Me too, Claire's dress is one of my all time favorites.

And since the creations she wore today are Natan i think the chance of him creating her wedding dress is high.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
To be honest, Britain should send whoever Guillaume and Stephanie want to attend. If they send an invite to the Wessexes, then I see no problem with that. It is after all their wedding.
This all depends of course on the date, if anything to clash with the Olympics or Jubilee celebrations then I doubt we'll see anyone.
I agree with you regarding Guillaume and Stephanie's wishes.
One question though: I have always been under the impression that invitations are sent to all most senior members of a Royal Family, plus any minor royals who may be friends or acquaintances. It is my understanding that once the invitations are received, the Monarch decides who goes based on different factors (such as availability on the given day), upon which the particular invitation is confirmed, whereas the others are gracefully declined.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I suspect the guest list will look like this(i may miss some people out):
The Earl and Countess of Wessex (UK - wouldn't be wholly surprised if some one less in the rankings was sent)
Fred and Mary (Denmark)
Queen Beatrix, W-A and Maxima, Constantijn and Laurentien (netherlands)
King & Queen of Sweden, Victoria and Daniel, Carl Philip (Sweden)
Haakon and Mette-Marit, Martha Louise and Ari Behn (Norway)
King and Queen of Belgium, Brabants, Astrid Lorenz and children (Belgium)
Albert and Charlene (Monaco)

don't know about Greek Royals, are any of them especially close to the Luxembourg Royals?
I expect the entire Begian royal family including Laurent, Claire and Queen Fabiola. Bothe famiies are very close.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I agree with you regarding Guillaume and Stephanie's wishes.
One question though: I have always been under the impression that invitations are sent to all most senior members of a Royal Family, plus any minor royals who may be friends or acquaintances. It is my understanding that once the invitations are received, the Monarch decides who goes based on different factors (such as availability on the given day), upon which the particular invitation is confirmed, whereas the others are gracefully declined.
That usually is the case, HM gets an invite and then "supposedly" picks who goes. But seeing as Edward and Sophie have such a close relationship with almost all European royals, it's hard not to think they have a friendship. Guillaume attended William's wedding though, so there is some hope to see them. Seeing as William's wedding wasn't a state occasion, Guillaume was not obliged to attend.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Was Guillaume at the Cambridge wedding? I know his parents attended but don't recall seeing pictures of him in the Abbey.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think the Cambridges will go, but particularly if the wedding's in September or even early October, they'll either be on tour for the Jubilee or just back from that tour. In that situation I can imagine HM letting them have a few quiet weeks before we see them again.

My money's on the Wessexes. Or maybe Charles and Camilla since they've been sent to the continental royals for the Jubilee. This would be a nice way of ticking Luxembourg off the list as well.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Was Guillaume at the Cambridge wedding? I know his parents attended but don't recall seeing pictures of him in the Abbey.
Just looking at pictures I can't find him.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Just looking at pictures I can't find him.
Me either, just looked at picture of the foreign royals sitting in the Abbey and I cannot see him. He would usually be easy to pick out because of the orange sash on his uniform.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I don't think the Cambridges will go, but particularly if the wedding's in September or even early October, they'll either be on tour for the Jubilee or just back from that tour. In that situation I can imagine HM letting them have a few quiet weeks before we see them again.

My money's on the Wessexes. Or maybe Charles and Camilla since they've been sent to the continental royals for the Jubilee. This would be a nice way of ticking Luxembourg off the list as well.
Prince Charles and his spouse did not bother to attend the weddings of other European Crown Princes with the exception of Crown Prince Felipe's of Spain. Why would they do it now? Prince Edward and his spouse seem to be well-accepted among the normal European royals.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Prince Charles and his spouse did not bother to attend the weddings of other European Crown Princes. Why would they do it now? Prince Edward and his spouse seem to be well-accepted among the normal European royals.
Prince Charles has attended the wedding of two European Princes at least I think. Felipe of Spain and Phillipe of Belgium. And besides Victoria, other Princes were married before Camilla appeared so it's just Charles to blame for missing Frederik, Haakon and W-A's wedding.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Me either, just looked at picture of the foreign royals sitting in the Abbey and I cannot see him. He would usually be easy to pick out because of the orange sash on his uniform.
I don't recall seeing Guillaume in London but I'm almost certain that he accompanied his parents to Monaco for Albert & Charlene's wedding.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Prince Charles and his spouse did not bother to attend the weddings of other European Crown Princes. Why would they do it now? Prince Edward and his spouse seem to be well-accepted among the normal European royals.
Why do people always seem to get into an uproar about which British royal attend foreign weddings? The Queen is always represented at these weddings. It doesn't seem to bother the continental royals as they apparently understand how things work. If they truly took offence surely they would boycott events in the UK but they all seem to turn up when invited to do so, as well as their private visits.

Over the decades of the Queens reign different royals have taken on the task of representing her on the continent. At one time it was Princess Marina and her daughter Alexandra, then it passed to Charles and now it seems as if it is the Earl and Countess of Wessex who have that role.
Other than Harold and Sonja's wedding I cannot think of a major continental wedding or funeral the Queen has not sent a representative to, and the Norwegian case was because the court was in mourning for Princess Marina.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Prince Guillaume isn't mentioned in the wedding guest list, so it's safe to assume he didn't attend William and Kate's wedding - only his parents did.

Quote:
That usually is the case, HM gets an invite and then "supposedly" picks who goes. But seeing as Edward and Sophie have such a close relationship with almost all European royals, it's hard not to think they have a friendship. Guillaume attended William's wedding though, so there is some hope to see them. Seeing as William's wedding wasn't a state occasion, Guillaume was not obliged to attend.
I'm rather hoping to see Cambridges at this wedding. Or Prince Charles and Camilla.
Much as I love the Wessexes, it'd be nice to see different representatives of the Queen for a major European royal event.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
I don't recall seeing Guillaume in London but I'm almost certain that he accompanied his parents to Monaco for Albert & Charlene's wedding.
He was definitely in Monaco for Alberts wedding (he also attended Alberts enthronement ceremony), but he wasn't in London for the Cambridge wedding.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
...[snipped]
I'm rather hoping to see Cambridges at this wedding. Or Prince Charles and Camilla.
Much as I love the Wessexes, it'd be nice to see different representatives of the Queen for a major European royal event.
The wedding in question might not be considered as a major European event by the British royals.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Prince Charles and his spouse did not bother to attend the weddings of other European Crown Princes with the exception of Crown Prince Felipe's of Spain. Why would they do it now? Prince Edward and his spouse seem to be well-accepted among the normal European royals.
Because Charles and Camilla last year visited Felipe and Letizia, and this year they've been to Sweden, Denmark and Norway. They haven't visited any of the Benelux countries so this would be a handy way of meeting them. Maybe they could stop into Amsterdam and Brussels at the same time and they'd more or less have the full set on behalf of the Queen in her Diamond Jubilee year.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

I expect it will be the Wessexes, as usual.