The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

I think Guilaume and siblings' Cuban ancestry is a big plus for them. I speak not as a Latina. Could this family be as charming without the influence of the culture and genetic background of Maria Teresa?

Why do some of us have a lit up green ball after our names? Are we on probation? Under suspicion?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1 View Post
I think Guilaume and siblings' Cuban ancestry is a big plus for them. I speak not as a Latina. Could this family be as charming without the influence of the culture and genetic background of Maria Teresa?

Why not. There is nothing special about being Cuban or Norwegian or South African. Or American. We are all the same.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel1
Why do some of us have a lit up green ball after our names? Are we on probation? Under suspicion?
Just on-line as we speak :-]
Old 09-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Had Maria Theresa's family settled in Miami or if she had lived in Miami for a long period of time, there probably would have been more US press or news about her wedding or at least there would have been in the Cuban community. I don't recall hearing about their wedding.

Sounds like the children of Henri and Maria Theresa growing up had exposure to both the Germanic and Cubean culture as this is part of their ethnic and cultural identity.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Guillaume and Stephanie's upcoming wedding was mentioned in Spanish Hola! this week.

Also, I was surprised to hear/read that there will be a fireworks display during the wedding celebrations for a couple of reasons: I thought that after the recent death of the bride's mother any there would be a general downgrading of festivities and second, that time of year there is a risk of rain which would make fireworks impossible.

But I am happy to that there will indeed be fireworks anyway...maybe they will go for a full tiara gala after all.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

When then Prince Henri married Maria Teresa, it was mentioned in the evening television news in New York City where I live. It was a mere few seconds, but it was nevertheless mentioned. Also, I believe that the New York Times, considered the most important paper in the USA, ran a photograph with some subtitles. Let me add that the focus was that it was a royal wedding. The fact that Maria Teresa was born in Cuba was incidental and was only mentioned in passing. The focus was that there was a royal wedding--period.

This was before the Internet, so most of the news for those of us interested in European royalty and nobility was gotten via European magazines like Spanish, "Hola," French "Point du Vue," "Paris Match," "Royals" and various German magazines that I, also, remember carried pictures of the young couple on a regular basis. By the way, while the Brits are mostly interested in their royalty to the exclusion of other countries, their famous magazine, "Majesty" has in the past covered the Luxembourgish royal family on quite a few occasions, so expect them to cover Guillaume's wedding, especially if another member of the British Royal Family attends.

The wedding will definitely stir much attention. Perhaps not so much in the USA or Britain, but definitely in neighboring Belgium, probably Holland [aren't the Luxembourg family, Orange-Nassau, making them close cousins of the Dutch Royal Family?] France, and definitely in Spain where the groom's mother Maria Teresa is well known, because she is of Spanish ancestry. The Spanish magazines are fond of always mentioning her Spanish roots. Years ago, Maria Teresa visited Sitges, Catalonia where her paternal father's ancestors hail from and "Hola" had a two page spread on it.

Regarding Maria Teresa's children, I think that they are thoroughly Luxembourgish. Yes, their mother is Cuban, but that doesn't mean anything. Don't forget that most European royalty is mixed with some other nationality, yet, they don't think of themselves as that other nationality. Example: Phillip, Prince consort of England, was born a Prince of Greece, yet, Charles doesn't think of himself as Greek in any way, he is thoroughly British, neither does Prince Felipe of Spain who's mother Sofia was, also, born a Princess of as Greece, think of himself as Greek in any way. He is thoroughly Spanish.

In any case, I am very excited about this wedding. I can't wait! Thank God for the Internet! Even if we don't see it live, someone will post it on Youtube and the Official Royall Court Website will undoubtedly post it on their website!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayarena View Post

Example: Phillip, Prince consort of England, was born a Prince of Greece, yet, Charles doesn't think of himself as Greek in any way, he is thoroughly British, neither does Prince Felipe of Spain who's mother Sofia was, also, born a Princess of as Greek in any way.
I don't know Charles or Felipe so really I have no idea what they think about themselves.

However, Prince Philip and Queen Sofia are not ethnically Greek anyway.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Also, I was surprised to hear/read that there will be a fireworks display during the wedding celebrations for a couple of reasons: I thought that after the recent death of the bride's mother any there would be a general downgrading of festivities and second, that time of year there is a risk of rain which would make fireworks impossible.

But I am happy to that there will indeed be fireworks anyway...maybe they will go for a full tiara gala after all.
The City of Luxembourg is giving a wedding gift to the newlyweds and they have decided that the gift will be in the form of a free concert for the citizens of Luxembourg and the fireworks are a part of that gift, so the festivities are more for the people rather than for the newlyweds, and if I understood it right the concert will take place on Saturday evening the 20th of October, so it's possible that Guillaume and Stéphanie won't be there to see and hear their gifts.

As for a gala dinner, that is something that would be arranged by the LGDF and it's possible that the family decides to downgrade the festivities when it comes to the dinner as the family is in mourning, but there is no reason really to downgrade the wedding festivities arranged for the people of Luxembourg, they are not a part of the mourning as the countess was not a citizen of Luxembourg.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Heir Apparent

That makes sense. Thanks Meraude.

At the risk of sounding disrespectful I hope the Gala dinner is not downgraded too much...I really want to see everyone in full tiara and sash regalia.

It's going to be many years before we will see another direct Heir get married....
Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
The City of Luxembourg is giving a wedding gift to the newlyweds and they have decided that the gift will be in the form of a free concert for the citizens of Luxembourg and the fireworks are a part of that gift, so the festivities are more for the people rather than for the newlyweds, and if I understood it right the concert will take place on Saturday evening the 20th of October, so it's possible that Guillaume and Stéphanie won't be there to see and hear their gifts.

As for a gala dinner, that is something that would be arranged by the LGDF and it's possible that the family decides to downgrade the festivities when it comes to the dinner as the family is in mourning, but there is no reason really to downgrade the wedding festivities arranged for the people of Luxembourg, they are not a part of the mourning as the countess was not a citizen of Luxembourg.

That's a really lovely wedding gift. Where in Luxembourg will the concert be? Apologies if that info is already posted in this thread.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post

That's a really lovely wedding gift. Where in Luxembourg will the concert be? Apologies if that info is already posted in this thread.
Marijke have posted the links in the Pre-Wedding Information thread, here is one of those links: Wort.lu - Fireworks, free concert and public viewing to celebrate Guillaume & Stéphanie
Old 09-14-2012, 03:12 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
I don't know Charles or Felipe so really I have no idea what they think about themselves.

However, Prince Philip and Queen Sofia are not ethnically Greek anyway.
You're correct. Philip and Sofia [who are cousins] aren't ethnically Greek. They are Germanic/Danish [??], but the example still works, because Charles and Felipe don't think of themselves as Germanic/Danish in anyway. Or at least not overtly. The British Royal Family for instance has gone through pains disassociating themselves from Germany going so far as changing their name to Windsor.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
You're correct. Philip and Sofia [who are cousins] aren't ethnically Greek. They are Germanic/Danish [??]
I would say that members of the Danish royal family past or present have very little Danish ethnicity, as with few exceptions the Danish queen consorts have been born German. I wouldn't say that any royal family now or former royal families have much, if any, ethnic connections to their countries until the last two or three generations, as most royal families have found their spouses in German royal and noble families.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Aristocracy

If I lived in Europe, I would definitely go to Luxembourg on the day of the wedding. I would be one of the spectators enjoying the celebration: seeing the bride step out of the limousine, into the cathedral, seeing the royal family on the balcony, etc.. But alas, I live across the Atlantic and it's too expensive and difficult for me to go. Is anyone here planning to go? It would be great if those that go can make it write a post with their personal perspective about the wedding.

By the way, Stephanie's father might be too frail to walk her down the aisle. Any thoughts on how that is going to be arranged?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
That makes sense. Thanks Meraude.

At the risk of sounding disrespectful I hope the Gala dinner is not downgraded too much...I really want to see everyone in full tiara and sash regalia.
If it was planned as white tie at all. The Galas for the accession of Henri and Maria Teresa and for their Silver Wedding have both been black tie as was the Gala before the Wedding of Guillaume and Sibilla.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
By the way, Stephanie's father might be too frail to walk her down the aisle. Any thoughts on how that is going to be arranged?
His oldest son Jehan may replace him.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Happy Belated CONGRATULATIONS on the wedding, can't wait to view it online!

Btw, imho Stephanie is the closest I've seen yet of a royal reminding me of the shy Di of her youth, when she was young, virginal, pure, and untouched. Until the wedding that is, lol. Ah, those were the days...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
His oldest son Jehan may replace him.
Or chose the Scandinavian tradition where bride and groom walk down the aisle together.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Btw, imho Stephanie is the closest I've seen yet of a royal reminding me of the shy Di of her youth, when she was young, virginal, pure, and untouched. Until the wedding that is, lol. Ah, those were the days...
But remember how it ended, two people virtually strangers before the wedding didn't made a happy marriage. (And Diana was not the only royal virgin bride whose marriage ended unhappily.)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I love the Scandinavian tradition!