The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I know people are saying that in the service it's self, the Cambridges would have only gotten small moments on camera, and that is probably true. What was definitely a given though, would have been the amount of images and paper articles that would have been written about them attending, what Catherine was wearing, who they smiled at/talked to and how much she covered her "baby bump", and then the last line would have said something about it being a Royal wedding and the bride look stunning. I hate that this is what happens, but it's the way it's going to be for a while
Change the names to Victoria and Daniel, and this could as well be a description of what the Swedish papers will be writing about after the Luxembourg wedding (and perhaps a photo or two of Catherine & William.)

Old 09-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I recently saw again Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde’s wedding.
When the Crown Prince of Japan , the Crown Prince of Monaco , the Crown Prince of Malaysia entered the Cathedral the attendance remain sitting.
When Prince Charles , Prince of Wales entered the Cathedral the whole attendance was standing.
No idea which royals will attend ?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

The Court will not release a guest list for at least a couple of weeks.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
That Victoria and Daniel's wedding made the news in the U.S. was most likely due to the fact that it was the wedding of a heiress apparent and that she married her personal trainer, it gave the wedding an interesting angle in American press. The same can be said about the wedding of Haakon and Mette-Marit, the fact that she was a unmarried mother who was to become crown princess made the story interesting, and when it comes to the marriage of Frederick and Mary, I would guess that it made the English-language papers because Mary was from Australia.

In the case of wedding between Guillaume and Stphanie there is (or perhaps was) nothing that made it interesting for American and British media, but unfortunately I suspect that the death of Stphanie's mother might give the wedding an emotional angle that will make it to the papers in countries that wouldn't mention it otherwise.

Exactly, that is what I had wrote as a reason for it making news here.

I can't speak for the British media, but I think the fact that the mother of the groom is/was Cuban will be of interest to American media. Again, it won't be a huge news story but it will probably get a mention. I wasn't born yet so I don't know if M-T's own wedding made news in the US. Of course there was no internet then so less space means less stories.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well...since the BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation, that is hardly surprising. I am sure that the Danish channels focussed more on their own royals.

Not the whole universe is solely focussed on all things anglosaxon, believe it or not. And although the Daily Mail may have only focussed on the Cambridge couple at this wedding, there are 196 countries in the world, for many of whom glorious Britain is not the center of the universe. The Spanish press for example would be more likely to focus on the princess of Asturias (provided that she attends the wedding).

Having that said, I hope that the Wessex couple will attend.
What's with the condescending rudeness? Does the fact that you're an administrator mean you can sneer at posters like this?

The British Broadcasting Corporation transmits all over the world through BBC News, the BBC World Service and BBC Worldwide. At almost all times Mary and Frederik were standing right next to William and Kate, and were being interviewed by a BBC journalist in Copenhagen, but they might as well not have been. Mary actually held British citizenship before marrying into royalty, lived and worked in the UK for a while and her parents were/are both British. Yet there was very little mention of her, other than in the DM who did the usual 'that Danish princess looks vaguely like Kate' story. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's reality.

The fact that the only royal couple the Luxembourg press is speculating about with regards to royal attendees at Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding is William and Kate tells us everything we need to know.

When William and Kate were in Canada last year they had 1,300 journalists following them around, and that's before we start to count paparazzi. I imagine that's a headache the Grand Ducal court can do without.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post

I can't speak for the British media, but I think the fact that the mother of the groom is/was Cuban will be of interest to American media. Again, it won't be a huge news story but it will probably get a mention. I wasn't born yet so I don't know if M-T's own wedding made news in the US. Of course there was no internet then so less space means less stories.
American Dane when Henri and MT's engagement was announced it was mentioned in the now defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner.

The wedding itself got a long clip on the evening news. I remember how beautiful and young MT looked.

At that time Royals marrying commoners was still very rare, and combined with the fact that the bride was Cuban, it made it a big story here.

Pavlos wedding to Marie-Chantal got a nice write-up in People Magazine.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
American Dane when Henri and MT's engagement was announced it was mentioned in the now defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner.

The wedding itself got a long clip on the evening news. I remember how beautiful and young MT looked.

At that time Royals marrying commoners was still very rare, and combined with the fact that the bride was Cuban, it made it a big story here.

Pavlos wedding to Marie-Chantal got a nice write-up in People Magazine.
Thanks for that

Just what I had thought, I assumed it made pretty big news for that fact.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
What's with the condescending rudeness? Does the fact that you're an administrator mean you can sneer at posters like this?

The British Broadcasting Corporation transmits all over the world through BBC News, the BBC World Service and BBC Worldwide. At almost all times Mary and Frederik were standing right next to William and Kate, and were being interviewed by a BBC journalist in Copenhagen, but they might as well not have been. Mary actually held British citizenship before marrying into royalty, lived and worked in the UK for a while and her parents were/are both British. Yet there was very little mention of her, other than in the DM who did the usual 'that Danish princess looks vaguely like Kate' story. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's reality.

The fact that the only royal couple the Luxembourg press is speculating about with regards to royal attendees at Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding is William and Kate tells us everything we need to know.

When William and Kate were in Canada last year they had 1,300 journalists following them around, and that's before we start to count paparazzi. I imagine that's a headache the Grand Ducal court can do without.

Marengo wasn't being condescending or rude at all since all she did was reinforce your previous point. Since the BBC is British Broadcasting Corporation, they would focus on the Cambridges as oppose to giving equal coverage to both the Cambridges and the Crown Princely couple of Denmark during the UNICEF event.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dane View Post

I can't speak for the British media, but I think the fact that the mother of the groom is/was Cuban will be of interest to American media
Why?

I never saw any great interest in Cuba in the American press (unless you count the general annoyance at the boats trying to outrun the coastguard, which sometimes garners a mention). Other than that, there's nothing.
The last time the American press took any interest in Cuba was during the Bay of Pigs, and I can't see them suddenly deciding to take an interest now.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Mirabel, because it was a FIRST. The bride was not European. She was a commoner.

No European Prince had ever married a Latina.

It's difficult to imagine it would be a big deal today, but believe me in 1981 it was all very exotic.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Serene Highness

I see lots of interest in America in Cuban things, at least in the several politicians now becoming prominent who are Cuban. We have a large Cuban population in Florida, who are in the news a good deal, now that politicians are seeking their votes.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Gentry

I'd like to add that she may have been born in Cuba, but her family left at the revolution, when she was about 3. She [then lived in New York City for a few years, until the family moved] to Europe in 1965. So she was also slightly American.

However, Guillaume and his siblings aren't in any way identified with Cuba, nor particularly the US, so I don't think that proximity alarm is gonna go off. They're not Cuban-Luxembourgish, they're Luxembourgish with half Cuban ancestry. They only vacationed in Cuba for the first time ever this year (and only Sebastien and Alexandra, not Gui). They're not raised, to my knowledge, with attention paid to their Cuban heritage. They've been born and raised in Lux, as Lux. So I don't anticipate a huge US media furor with that as a contributing factor, only a standard non-UK wedding coverage.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

They still feature regularly in Spanish language magazines like Vanidades and Hola!

Guillaume has said publically that he has both his father's Germanic side and his mother's Latin temperament together. Of all the GD children, he looks the most Latin. He speaks flawless Spanish.

Yet I always think of him as essentially European...and he has reportedly said he doesn't enjoy traveling outside of Europe even though his position requires it frequently.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVO View Post

However, Guillaume and his siblings aren't in any way identified with Cuba, nor particularly the US, so I don't think that proximity alarm is gonna go off. They're not Cuban-Luxembourgish, they're Luxembourgish with half Cuban ancestry. They only vacationed in Cuba for the first time ever this year (and only Sebastien and Alexandra, not Gui). They're not raised, to my knowledge, with attention paid to their Cuban heritage. They've been born and raised in Lux, as Lux. So I don't anticipate a huge US media furor with that as a contributing factor, only a standard non-UK wedding coverage.
The vacation to Cuba earlier this year was not the first time they've been there. Maria Teresa went there several years ago with Louis, Felix, her sister and niece. While Maria Teresa's children do not identified themselves as Cuban-Luxembourish; I highly doubt the children doesn't know anything about their mother's heritage since all five children possess knowledge of the Spanish language with Guillaume and Alexandra being fluent in it while the others have a good knowledge of it. Plus, Maria Teresa loves playing Cuban music at home and tried to teach her sons salsa.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Gentry

Hm. I am willing to stand corrected, then. My sources weren't the best.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVO View Post
I'd like to add that she may have been born in Cuba, but her family left at the revolution, when she was about 3. She [then lived in New York City for a few years, until the family moved] to Europe in 1965. So she was also slightly American.

I never said a huge US media interest, in fact I said the opposite. I said there would be a "mention" of the wedding.

The fact that M-T was a Cuban whose family was more or less kicked out of Cuba because they didn't support the revolution, and the ideology behind it, is exactly the reason it would be/was of interest in the US. Most stories are, unfairly, about boats with people washing up in Florida or the Bay of Pigs or the Cuban Missile Crisis. People forget that there are Cubans living in the US who left because they lost their wealth thanks to Castro in the 1950s.

I'm aware M-T grew up more or less in the US. However, she considers herself Latina and Cuban and her late mother-in-law most certainly considered her Latina and Cuban.

Look at MidnightSonatta's post for how their mother's ancestry has affected the Lux kids in a good way. TripS to Cuba, Spanish fluency, etc.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

There seems a paucity of reliable information on the wedding, though.
Hasn't there been any word on Stephanie's wedding dress, or even who her attendants will be?

(It seems so hush-hush compared to William and Kate).
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Nobility

What about euro news, are they gonna air it?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

My understanding it is being aired by a French station. Number four I believe.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There seems a paucity of reliable information on the wedding, though.
Hasn't there been any word on Stephanie's wedding dress, or even who her attendants will be?

(It seems so hush-hush compared to William and Kate).
I think it is due to the circumstances, I mean her mother's death...After so small a time it wouldn't do to write about her worrying for dress etc....