The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg > Major Royal Events

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm betting it will be Edward and Sophie, because it usually is.
I don't know if that's because they are the only ones interested in going, or because they are more or less assigned to attend certain functions.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Majesty

Well, the Prince of Wales have been to foreign royal weddings in the past but since he and the Duchess of Cornwall got married, they haven't gone to any foreign royal weddings or events.

The Wessex's do a pretty good job at representing The Queen and royal family at events like this. If the Wessex's not able to go, we usually see the Kents or Gloucester's. I think The Queen try her best to give her extended family important roles to play but with the new vision The Queen and royal family is taking now on bringing forward the new faces of the "Firm", which is the Waleses and Cambridges, I think at some point we will see them step up more.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

Molly2101, I really don't think William & Catherine would've taken the attention from Guillaume & Stephanie. The press will focusing on all the royal women who will be attending the wedding because it's most likely going to be a big royal turn out.
I, for one, am happy that the Cambridges are not attending. If anyone should be attending the wedding is should be the heir to the throne himself, Prince Charles.

I think you're naive if you think Catherine will not steal the spotlight from the bride. At every engagements that Catherine have attended, she has always stole the spotlight. It will be no different if she were to go to the wedding.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Majesty

MidnightSonatta, there's no doubt that the media will pay some attention to Catherine if she was going to the wedding but no one is going to steal the limelight away from the future Heads of State.

I know the media like to focus on Catherine's wardrobe but I think everyone have to get used to the fact that William & Catherine will be attending some very high profile events as senior members of the royal family. They can't control the media's attention. All they can do is focus on the purpose of their attendence.

Even though the Cambridges won't be attending the royal wedding, you better bet the media will focus not only on Guillaume & Stephanie but all the other royals who are attending.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Gentry

If the Cambridges were to attend the wedding, I have no doubt that other royals will get some attention. However, let's be honest here. Catherine will get the bulk of the attention. There's no other way around it.

But she's not attending and the point is moot. Therefore, I'm glad the attention will be on Guillaume and Stephanie.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Well, I don't know, MidnightSonatta. If that's the case then the Duchess of Cambridge will never be able to weddings and events with her royal counterparts.

I'm really looking forward to watching the coverage online. I'm just sorry that Stephanie's mother won't be there to watch her daughter get married but I'm sure she will be there in spirit though.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's been no coverage of Guillaume and Stephanie's engagement in the UK, nor is there likely to be of their wedding. The only way I could see the British press even acknowledging this event is if William and Kate were to attend, and even then there would be much more coverage of them than of the couple getting married, who are unknown in the UK.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Gentry

I do think she will attend some major foreign events in the future. I just disapprove of William and Catherine attending this wedding because Guillaume is the heir to the throne and as such it should be Prince Charles to attend this wedding. Another is that Catherine is new to the royal scene and therefore, the press are still focus on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
There's been no coverage of Guillaume and Stephanie's engagement in the UK, nor is there likely to be of their wedding. The only way I could see the British press even acknowledging this event is if William and Kate were to attend, and even then there would be much more coverage of them than of the couple getting married, who are unknown in the UK.
Of course their wedding will not be cover in the UK. The majority of the press in the UK doesn't even know there are other royals besides the British nor do they acknowledge them. However, the wedding will be cover by other countries besides Luxembourg.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Majesty

I would like to see The Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall attend the wedding but Charles haven't attended a royal wedding for several years now. The Queen usually send the Wessex's, Kents or Gloucester's to royal weddings and other major royal events.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Sielah

You never know how this could have worked out. Perhaps Guillaume and Stephanie would have enjoyed having William and Catherine in attendance, knowing it would bring wider coverage of their own nuptials.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Gentry

Well, Prince Charles attended the weddings of Felipe and Letizia as well as Haakon and Mette-Marit. So he's not exactly oppose to attending foreign royal wedding. Plus, Guillaume's grandparents were/are good friends with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip attended his parent's wedding, so maybe Prince Charles will attend out of respect.

Or perhaps the queen will send the Wessex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sielah View Post
You never know how this could have worked out. Perhaps Guillaume and Stephanie would have enjoyed having William and Catherine in attendance, knowing it would bring wider coverage of their own nuptials.
Exactly how many bride wants to be upstage on her special day?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Majesty

MidnightSonatta, I really don't think the royals worry so much about their royal counterparts upstaging their weddings and other events. They are pretty much used to having other high profile royals attending their events and the press coverage that might bring.

Very true that Prince Charles have attended those weddings but he haven't been back in awhile. I guess it's pretty much down to who the other foreign royals invite, which royal can attend and where they can fit the event in their schedual. The Wessex's might attend or Kents.

At some point the Cambridges will attend major royal events with their royal counterparts, press coverage or not.

I think Guillaume & Stephanie will welcome their royal guest with open harms.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Hearing years ago about the rocking horses burning made me particularly sad. Surely some other child could have used them, or they could have been saved for William and Harry's children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Even a custom made rocking horse that Ronald and Nancy Reagan had sent to Prince William was consigned to the flames.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSonatta View Post
If the Cambridges were to attend the wedding, I have no doubt that other royals will get some attention. However, let's be honest here. Catherine will get the bulk of the attention. There's no other way around it.
Absolutely.
The media will focus on Catherine and William, as usual, with maybe a tiny photo of the bride and groom and a grudging mention of the other royals.

If they aren't there, and the Wessexes attend instead, there will be less coverage than there even was for Albert and Charlene (and that wasn't much).
Old 09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was the same when William and Kate were in Copenhagen. The BBC report only mentioned Mary and Frederik in passing and only showed W&K getting interviewed, even though all 4 were interviewed at the same time and in English.

Let Guillaume and Stephanie enjoy their day when they deserve to be the centre of attention.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Serene Highness

Most likely someone in the British royal family will attend the wedding. If Prince William and Kate were close to Guillaume and Stephanie or they were friends or socialized together, then they most likely would have been the ones to attend the wedding or maybe not.

Most royals attending a royal wedding certainly don't want to upstage those getting married. They usually don't but the press or the news media often is the one that does the upstaging by their focus or focusing on one person or couple.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sielah View Post
The idea that the notoriously private HGD Guillaume and his fiancee wanted or needed William and Kate-who they have probably never met-to help drum up publicity for their wedding could not be more outside the pale.

During this period of mourning for Guillaume and Stephanie extra media attention is probably at the very bottom of their wish list.

The GDF of Luxembourg has always flown beneath the radar. They never stoop to playing to the press for themselves personally. They never show off or try to make waves. Their dignity is one of the things that sets them apart from most of the other European Royal families.

The Oct20th nuptials in the magnificent Cathedrale Notre-Dame will be as they should be...moving and beautiful, with a touch of poignancy due to the recent sadness. Guillaume and Stephanie will be surrounded by their friends and families, and the citizens of the Grand Duchy...who will only be there to see the two of them.

William and Catherine will not be needed or missed, imo.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Gentry

Well, in terms of live TV coverage, the focus would definitely be Guillaume and Stephanie. No doubt about it.

As for the extra media attention, why only target William and Kate? I bet there will also be other high profile couples attending. Should they be asked not to attend?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post

As for the extra media attention, why only target William and Kate? I bet there will also be other high profile couples attending. Should they be asked not to attend?
Because no matter what events William and Catherine are in, the attention will be on them no matter what. Look at the event in Denmark for UNICEF, all the attention was on Catherine instead of focusing the drought or hunger issues in Somalia or the fact that Frederik and Mary was there also.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
The idea that the notoriously private HGD Guillaume and his fiancee wanted or needed William and Kate-who they have probably never met-to help drum up publicity for their wedding could not be more outside the pale.

During this period of mourning for Guillaume and Stephanie, extra media attention is probably at the very bottom of their wish list.

The GDF of Luxembourg has always flown beneath the radar. They never stoop to playing to the press for themselves personally. They never show off or try to make waves. Their dignity is one of the things that sets them apart from most of the other European Royal families.

The Oct20th nuptials in the magnificent Cathedrale Notre-Dame will be as they should be...moving and beautiful, with a touch of poignancy due to the recent sadness. Guillaume and Stephanie will be surrounded by their friends and families, and the citizens of the Grand Duchy...who will only be there to see the two of them.
I agree entirely with Moonmaiden's perspective.