Guillaume and Stéphanie: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know people are saying that in the service it's self, the Cambridges would have only gotten small moments on camera, and that is probably true. What was definitely a given though, would have been the amount of images and paper articles that would have been written about them attending, what Catherine was wearing, who they smiled at/talked to and how much she covered her "baby bump", and then the last line would have said something about it being a Royal wedding and the bride look stunning. I hate that this is what happens, but it's the way it's going to be for a while
Change the names to Victoria and Daniel, and this could as well be a description of what the Swedish papers will be writing about after the Luxembourg wedding (and perhaps a photo or two of Catherine & William.)

Last edited:
I recently saw again Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde’s wedding.
When the Crown Prince of Japan , the Crown Prince of Monaco , the Crown Prince of Malaysia entered the Cathedral the attendance remain sitting.
When Prince Charles , Prince of Wales entered the Cathedral the whole attendance was standing.
No idea which royals will attend ?

The Court will not release a guest list for at least a couple of weeks.

That Victoria and Daniel's wedding made the news in the U.S. was most likely due to the fact that it was the wedding of a heiress apparent and that she married her personal trainer, it gave the wedding an interesting angle in American press. The same can be said about the wedding of Haakon and Mette-Marit, the fact that she was a unmarried mother who was to become crown princess made the story interesting, and when it comes to the marriage of Frederick and Mary, I would guess that it made the English-language papers because Mary was from Australia.

In the case of wedding between Guillaume and Stéphanie there is (or perhaps was) nothing that made it interesting for American and British media, but unfortunately I suspect that the death of Stéphanie's mother might give the wedding an emotional angle that will make it to the papers in countries that wouldn't mention it otherwise.

:previous:
Exactly, that is what I had wrote as a reason for it making news here.

I can't speak for the British media, but I think the fact that the mother of the groom is/was Cuban will be of interest to American media. Again, it won't be a huge news story but it will probably get a mention. I wasn't born yet so I don't know if M-T's own wedding made news in the US. Of course there was no internet then so less space means less stories.

Well...since the BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation, that is hardly surprising. I am sure that the Danish channels focussed more on their own royals.

Not the whole universe is solely focussed on all things anglosaxon, believe it or not. And although the Daily Mail may have only focussed on the Cambridge couple at this wedding, there are 196 countries in the world, for many of whom glorious Britain is not the center of the universe. The Spanish press for example would be more likely to focus on the princess of Asturias (provided that she attends the wedding).

Having that said, I hope that the Wessex couple will attend.

What's with the condescending rudeness? Does the fact that you're an administrator mean you can sneer at posters like this?

The British Broadcasting Corporation transmits all over the world through BBC News, the BBC World Service and BBC Worldwide. At almost all times Mary and Frederik were standing right next to William and Kate, and were being interviewed by a BBC journalist in Copenhagen, but they might as well not have been. Mary actually held British citizenship before marrying into royalty, lived and worked in the UK for a while and her parents were/are both British. Yet there was very little mention of her, other than in the DM who did the usual 'that Danish princess looks vaguely like Kate' story. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's reality.

The fact that the only royal couple the Luxembourg press is speculating about with regards to royal attendees at Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding is William and Kate tells us everything we need to know.

When William and Kate were in Canada last year they had 1,300 journalists following them around, and that's before we start to count paparazzi. I imagine that's a headache the Grand Ducal court can do without.

I can't speak for the British media, but I think the fact that the mother of the groom is/was Cuban will be of interest to American media. Again, it won't be a huge news story but it will probably get a mention. I wasn't born yet so I don't know if M-T's own wedding made news in the US. Of course there was no internet then so less space means less stories.

American Dane when Henri and MT's engagement was announced it was mentioned in the now defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner.

The wedding itself got a long clip on the evening news. I remember how beautiful and young MT looked.

At that time Royals marrying commoners was still very rare, and combined with the fact that the bride was Cuban, it made it a big story here.

Pavlos wedding to Marie-Chantal got a nice write-up in People Magazine. :)

American Dane when Henri and MT's engagement was announced it was mentioned in the now defunct Los Angeles Herald-Examiner.

The wedding itself got a long clip on the evening news. I remember how beautiful and young MT looked.

At that time Royals marrying commoners was still very rare, and combined with the fact that the bride was Cuban, it made it a big story here.

Pavlos wedding to Marie-Chantal got a nice write-up in People Magazine. :)

Thanks for that :)

Just what I had thought, I assumed it made pretty big news for that fact.

What's with the condescending rudeness? Does the fact that you're an administrator mean you can sneer at posters like this?

The British Broadcasting Corporation transmits all over the world through BBC News, the BBC World Service and BBC Worldwide. At almost all times Mary and Frederik were standing right next to William and Kate, and were being interviewed by a BBC journalist in Copenhagen, but they might as well not have been. Mary actually held British citizenship before marrying into royalty, lived and worked in the UK for a while and her parents were/are both British. Yet there was very little mention of her, other than in the DM who did the usual 'that Danish princess looks vaguely like Kate' story. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but it's reality.

The fact that the only royal couple the Luxembourg press is speculating about with regards to royal attendees at Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding is William and Kate tells us everything we need to know.

When William and Kate were in Canada last year they had 1,300 journalists following them around, and that's before we start to count paparazzi. I imagine that's a headache the Grand Ducal court can do without.

Marengo wasn't being condescending or rude at all since all she did was reinforce your previous point. Since the BBC is British Broadcasting Corporation, they would focus on the Cambridges as oppose to giving equal coverage to both the Cambridges and the Crown Princely couple of Denmark during the UNICEF event.

I can't speak for the British media, but I think the fact that the mother of the groom is/was Cuban will be of interest to American media

Why?

I never saw any great interest in Cuba in the American press (unless you count the general annoyance at the boats trying to outrun the coastguard, which sometimes garners a mention). Other than that, there's nothing.
The last time the American press took any interest in Cuba was during the Bay of Pigs, and I can't see them suddenly deciding to take an interest now.

Last edited:
Mirabel, because it was a FIRST. The bride was not European. She was a commoner.

No European Prince had ever married a Latina.

It's difficult to imagine it would be a big deal today, but believe me in 1981 it was all very exotic.

I see lots of interest in America in Cuban things, at least in the several politicians now becoming prominent who are Cuban. We have a large Cuban population in Florida, who are in the news a good deal, now that politicians are seeking their votes.

I'd like to add that she may have been born in Cuba, but her family left at the revolution, when she was about 3. She [then lived in New York City for a few years, until the family moved] to Europe in 1965. So she was also slightly American.

However, Guillaume and his siblings aren't in any way identified with Cuba, nor particularly the US, so I don't think that proximity alarm is gonna go off. They're not Cuban-Luxembourgish, they're Luxembourgish with half Cuban ancestry. They only vacationed in Cuba for the first time ever this year (and only Sebastien and Alexandra, not Gui). They're not raised, to my knowledge, with attention paid to their Cuban heritage. They've been born and raised in Lux, as Lux. So I don't anticipate a huge US media furor with that as a contributing factor, only a standard non-UK wedding coverage.

Last edited:
They still feature regularly in Spanish language magazines like Vanidades and Hola!

Guillaume has said publically that he has both his father's Germanic side and his mother's Latin temperament together. Of all the GD children, he looks the most Latin. He speaks flawless Spanish.

Yet I always think of him as essentially European...and he has reportedly said he doesn't enjoy traveling outside of Europe even though his position requires it frequently.

Last edited:
However, Guillaume and his siblings aren't in any way identified with Cuba, nor particularly the US, so I don't think that proximity alarm is gonna go off. They're not Cuban-Luxembourgish, they're Luxembourgish with half Cuban ancestry. They only vacationed in Cuba for the first time ever this year (and only Sebastien and Alexandra, not Gui). They're not raised, to my knowledge, with attention paid to their Cuban heritage. They've been born and raised in Lux, as Lux. So I don't anticipate a huge US media furor with that as a contributing factor, only a standard non-UK wedding coverage.

The vacation to Cuba earlier this year was not the first time they've been there. Maria Teresa went there several years ago with Louis, Felix, her sister and niece. While Maria Teresa's children do not identified themselves as Cuban-Luxembourish; I highly doubt the children doesn't know anything about their mother's heritage since all five children possess knowledge of the Spanish language with Guillaume and Alexandra being fluent in it while the others have a good knowledge of it. Plus, Maria Teresa loves playing Cuban music at home and tried to teach her sons salsa.

Last edited:
Hm. I am willing to stand corrected, then. My sources weren't the best.

I'd like to add that she may have been born in Cuba, but her family left at the revolution, when she was about 3. She [then lived in New York City for a few years, until the family moved] to Europe in 1965. So she was also slightly American.

I never said a huge US media interest, in fact I said the opposite. I said there would be a "mention" of the wedding.

The fact that M-T was a Cuban whose family was more or less kicked out of Cuba because they didn't support the revolution, and the ideology behind it, is exactly the reason it would be/was of interest in the US. Most stories are, unfairly, about boats with people washing up in Florida or the Bay of Pigs or the Cuban Missile Crisis. People forget that there are Cubans living in the US who left because they lost their wealth thanks to Castro in the 1950s.

I'm aware M-T grew up more or less in the US. However, she considers herself Latina and Cuban and her late mother-in-law most certainly considered her Latina and Cuban.

Look at MidnightSonatta's post for how their mother's ancestry has affected the Lux kids in a good way. TripS to Cuba, Spanish fluency, etc.

There seems a paucity of reliable information on the wedding, though.
Hasn't there been any word on Stephanie's wedding dress, or even who her attendants will be?

(It seems so hush-hush compared to William and Kate).

My understanding it is being aired by a French station. Number four I believe.

There seems a paucity of reliable information on the wedding, though.
Hasn't there been any word on Stephanie's wedding dress, or even who her attendants will be?

(It seems so hush-hush compared to William and Kate).
I think it is due to the circumstances, I mean her mother's death...After so small a time it wouldn't do to write about her worrying for dress etc....

I think Guilaume and siblings' Cuban ancestry is a big plus for them. I speak not as a Latina. Could this family be as charming without the influence of the culture and genetic background of Maria Teresa?

Why do some of us have a lit up green ball after our names? Are we on probation? Under suspicion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Guilaume and siblings' Cuban ancestry is a big plus for them. I speak not as a Latina. Could this family be as charming without the influence of the culture and genetic background of Maria Teresa?

Why not. There is nothing special about being Cuban or Norwegian or South African. Or American. We are all the same.

Mariel1 said:
Why do some of us have a lit up green ball after our names? Are we on probation? Under suspicion?

Just on-line as we speak :-]

Had Maria Theresa's family settled in Miami or if she had lived in Miami for a long period of time, there probably would have been more US press or news about her wedding or at least there would have been in the Cuban community. I don't recall hearing about their wedding.

Sounds like the children of Henri and Maria Theresa growing up had exposure to both the Germanic and Cubean culture as this is part of their ethnic and cultural identity.

Guillaume and Stephanie's upcoming wedding was mentioned in Spanish Hola! this week. :)

Also, I was surprised to hear/read that there will be a fireworks display during the wedding celebrations for a couple of reasons: I thought that after the recent death of the bride's mother any there would be a general downgrading of festivities and second, that time of year there is a risk of rain which would make fireworks impossible.

But I am happy to that there will indeed be fireworks anyway...maybe they will go for a full tiara gala after all. :)

When then Prince Henri married Maria Teresa, it was mentioned in the evening television news in New York City where I live. It was a mere few seconds, but it was nevertheless mentioned. Also, I believe that the New York Times, considered the most important paper in the USA, ran a photograph with some subtitles. Let me add that the focus was that it was a royal wedding. The fact that Maria Teresa was born in Cuba was incidental and was only mentioned in passing. The focus was that there was a royal wedding--period.

This was before the Internet, so most of the news for those of us interested in European royalty and nobility was gotten via European magazines like Spanish, "Hola," French "Point du Vue," "Paris Match," "Royals" and various German magazines that I, also, remember carried pictures of the young couple on a regular basis. By the way, while the Brits are mostly interested in their royalty to the exclusion of other countries, their famous magazine, "Majesty" has in the past covered the Luxembourgish royal family on quite a few occasions, so expect them to cover Guillaume's wedding, especially if another member of the British Royal Family attends.

The wedding will definitely stir much attention. Perhaps not so much in the USA or Britain, but definitely in neighboring Belgium, probably Holland [aren't the Luxembourg family, Orange-Nassau, making them close cousins of the Dutch Royal Family?] France, and definitely in Spain where the groom's mother Maria Teresa is well known, because she is of Spanish ancestry. The Spanish magazines are fond of always mentioning her Spanish roots. Years ago, Maria Teresa visited Sitges, Catalonia where her paternal father's ancestors hail from and "Hola" had a two page spread on it.

Regarding Maria Teresa's children, I think that they are thoroughly Luxembourgish. Yes, their mother is Cuban, but that doesn't mean anything. Don't forget that most European royalty is mixed with some other nationality, yet, they don't think of themselves as that other nationality. Example: Phillip, Prince consort of England, was born a Prince of Greece, yet, Charles doesn't think of himself as Greek in any way, he is thoroughly British, neither does Prince Felipe of Spain who's mother Sofia was, also, born a Princess of as Greece, think of himself as Greek in any way. He is thoroughly Spanish.

In any case, I am very excited about this wedding. I can't wait! Thank God for the Internet! Even if we don't see it live, someone will post it on Youtube and the Official Royall Court Website will undoubtedly post it on their website!

Last edited:
Example: Phillip, Prince consort of England, was born a Prince of Greece, yet, Charles doesn't think of himself as Greek in any way, he is thoroughly British, neither does Prince Felipe of Spain who's mother Sofia was, also, born a Princess of as Greek in any way.

I don't know Charles or Felipe so really I have no idea what they think about themselves.

However, Prince Philip and Queen Sofia are not ethnically Greek anyway.

Also, I was surprised to hear/read that there will be a fireworks display during the wedding celebrations for a couple of reasons: I thought that after the recent death of the bride's mother any there would be a general downgrading of festivities and second, that time of year there is a risk of rain which would make fireworks impossible.

But I am happy to that there will indeed be fireworks anyway...maybe they will go for a full tiara gala after all. :)
The City of Luxembourg is giving a wedding gift to the newlyweds and they have decided that the gift will be in the form of a free concert for the citizens of Luxembourg and the fireworks are a part of that gift, so the festivities are more for the people rather than for the newlyweds, and if I understood it right the concert will take place on Saturday evening the 20th of October, so it's possible that Guillaume and Stéphanie won't be there to see and hear their gifts.

As for a gala dinner, that is something that would be arranged by the LGDF and it's possible that the family decides to downgrade the festivities when it comes to the dinner as the family is in mourning, but there is no reason really to downgrade the wedding festivities arranged for the people of Luxembourg, they are not a part of the mourning as the countess was not a citizen of Luxembourg.

Last edited:
That makes sense. Thanks Meraude.

At the risk of sounding disrespectful I hope the Gala dinner is not downgraded too much...I really want to see everyone in full tiara and sash regalia.

It's going to be many years before we will see another direct Heir get married....

Last edited:
The City of Luxembourg is giving a wedding gift to the newlyweds and they have decided that the gift will be in the form of a free concert for the citizens of Luxembourg and the fireworks are a part of that gift, so the festivities are more for the people rather than for the newlyweds, and if I understood it right the concert will take place on Saturday evening the 20th of October, so it's possible that Guillaume and Stéphanie won't be there to see and hear their gifts.

As for a gala dinner, that is something that would be arranged by the LGDF and it's possible that the family decides to downgrade the festivities when it comes to the dinner as the family is in mourning, but there is no reason really to downgrade the wedding festivities arranged for the people of Luxembourg, they are not a part of the mourning as the countess was not a citizen of Luxembourg.

That's a really lovely wedding gift. Where in Luxembourg will the concert be? Apologies if that info is already posted in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom