The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Also, the number of very frail, elderly relatives attending. Namely, AD Jean, Stepanies father, and Q Fabiola.
There was another older lady sitting with Jean and Fabiola, do anyone know who she is, could it be Alix, dowager princess of Ligne, the sister of Jean?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whoops, totally forgot this was happening!

The wedding, from what I've seen, seemed lovely and relaxed. Everyone seemed happy and there was none of that over the top, schmaltzy crying or unnecessary PDA.

The dress is pretty nice, but for me Ellie Saab just makes the same dress over and over in a range of different colours. Blair Waldorf gets married, apparently, in a similar dress created by Saab in a powdery blue. The dresses are inoffensive, but incredibly samey.

Glad to see the Luxembourg royals decided not to follow in the footsteps of certain other royals and chose not to allow any multinational companies to sponsor aspects of the day. Using the old Daimler is so much classier than a brand new one ostentatiously sponsored by a car company.

Not fussed on the colours worn by the bridesmaids or the flowergirls etc. All in all, everyone looked good apart from Princess Maxima.

I'm not Catholic, so it's probably just something I don't get, but that statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus in the cathedral was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. Dressing them in real clothes made it look really freaky.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Gentry

Is there any pictures HGD Stephanie courtseys GD Henri and Maria Theresa?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
The older bridesmaids: it is a sign of true love when you will wear something like these pale peach frocks for your bride. Just look at those two in the background. Wrinkled, lumpy and wan (I am referring to the gowns BTW).
http://www.wort.lu/img/040216dd0c1e3...bc16b45f87.jpg

And as to the little attendants. My gosh, yes they were cute. And they will be able to wear their outfits again for Halloween.

Yes, the colors were unfortunate.
But they are the colors of the Luxembourg flag, so...better to have the clothes be patriotic rather than becoming?

But it is hard on the older girls.

(I'd have put everyone in the blue and just used a touch of the orange in the flowers).
Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Gentry

Perhaps the color for the bridesmaids couldn't be helped, but there's puckering on the seams! That's just sloppy craftsmanship. And I'm convinced they could've found a better cut for Princess Alexandra, the poor dear.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I'm not Catholic, so it's probably just something I don't get, but that statue of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus in the cathedral was one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. Dressing them in real clothes made it look really freaky.
EIIR: You made me smile - this is a very Catholic thing that I had not thought about for years. We had these statues in our house when I was a child and would change their outfits with the seasons. I wonder where all that went?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
There was another older lady sitting with Jean and Fabiola, do anyone know who she is, could it be Alix, dowager princess of Ligne, the sister of Jean?
I noticed her too but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to identify her.
The young children seemed remarkably well behaved
Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
EIIR: You made me smile - this is a very Catholic thing that I had not thought about for years. We had these statues in our house when I was a child and would change their outfits with the seasons. I wonder where all that went?

Probably eliminated by Vatican II, along with most of the wonderful old traditions.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think I'm going to be seeing that statue in my nightmares for a while. I get that it has religious significance, but it's just so unutterably ugly.

In fairness, I'm Presbyterian and we don't have any statues whatsoever in my church. A fairly simple stained glass window is as far as we go.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Majesty

Great shot! Frederik looks very distinguished in his uniform .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

I personally think Frederik's uniform is tough to 'pull off'.
Guys usually have it easy with wedding attire, military uniforms are pretty straightforward but for some reason, I find the cut and tailoring of his uniforms to be off. He always looks likes he's swimming it it IMO.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you Dof E I have always thought so and wondered is that the way things are supposed to be ass I'm not an expert on Military clothing...and while I',m at it he cannot IMO pull off the head gear ...
Old 10-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Serene Highness

Nothing news about the party today at Chateau de Berg??
Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Photos from the Royalhouse:

Mariage Princier: la cérémonie religieuse - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Octobre 2012
Old 10-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Royal Highness

Very Beautiful shot ,, The Couple looks Amazing ,,, Princess Mary looks very elegant , she’s one of the best at church wedding ceremony , Prince Frederik's he’s always looks Nice , Thank you for posting .
Old 10-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortimo View Post
Some very beautiful photo's,thanks for posting!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
yes, I think that was indeed Alix.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
I personally think Frederik's uniform is tough to 'pull off'.
Guys usually have it easy with wedding attire, military uniforms are pretty straightforward but for some reason, I find the cut and tailoring of his uniforms to be off. He always looks likes he's swimming it it IMO.
I have to agree, Duke. The uniform wears Frederik, not the other way around. Willem-Alexander has the same problem too.

On the subject of military uniforms, the Luxembourg uniforms seem rather stark.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Probably eliminated by Vatican II, along with most of the wonderful old traditions.
not entirely, since they did it. There are still around the world, statues who are like dolls and you can remove their dresses and change their outfits at times. I'm thinking about the Good Friday when we usually put on the Virgin's statues a mourning dress...and then on Easter Sunday a colorful dress to symbolize the happiness for the resurrection...
Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hadn't realised how old Stephanie's parents were until I saw her elderly father being held up. Her mother was 20 years younger than her father, but she was still "elderly" at 70. I then thought that seemed quite old to have a 28 year old daughter, but then worked it out that Alix would have been 42 when she had Stephanie (the same age Sophie Wessex was when she had Viscount Severn). That is not that old, but as Stephanie grew older she must have been very aware of how much older her parents were.

Tags
church, countess, guillaume, hereditary grand duke, lannoy, luxembourg, prince, religious, royal wedding, stephanie, wedding