HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg & Stéphanie de Lannoy: Religious Wedding - Oct 20, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moonmaiden23 said:
I too felt the children performed flawlessly throughout the very long ceremony...it was just a little over two hours! :eek:

CP Victoria also had baby attendants. There are some very precious and adorable photos of her having private convos with each of them at the wedding rehearsal. They included little Prince Christian of Denmark, Princess Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway, and Princess Catharina Amalia of the Netherlands. They were all clinging to her and playing with her hair. :lol:

At the wedding Victoria was so pleased and proud of how well behaved they were that when the wedding cake was cut, she insisted that the children be served first before all the other guests. What a charming and appropriate way to thank them! :p

How lovely! Victoria is so good with children, and they respond extremely well to her. No surprising at all.

Queen Penelope said:

Thank you so much!

Neither Beatrice or Madeleine are future monarchs, nor Carl Philip. Prince Joseph Wenzel of Lichtenstein is the oldest, born in 1995, the rest of the future monarchs are born between 2001 and 2011, so it will most likely take at least ten years, probably even 15 or 20 years until there is a wedding of a future monarch.

I know that, of course.
I guess I was thinking of next royal wedding, rather than next monarch's wedding. :)

I really don't want to give up on this Royal Wedding. It was so beautiful. I keep thinking about it and wondering various things. Like I wonder what Stephanie's family were thinking as they were watching her in the church. Were they thinking: this is our adorable little sister and we are so glad that she has found such a wonderful person to love her and cherish her.
And, I loved seeing all the royals in those first few rows. They are such a varied and interesting group. And, what were the things going through their minds? Remembering their own weddings? Remembering how it felt to be so young? Loving the music? For some of them, it was an unfamiliar service...just as for some of us. Still most interesting.
There's just something about a beautiful royal wedding that sticks with you. I will always be glad that we were allowed to be a part of the whole day with Victoria and Daniel. We have a special place in our hearts for them and now for Stephanie and Guilluame. I give them my best wishes and prayers for many blessings.

I really don't want to give up on this Royal Wedding. It was so beautiful. I keep thinking about it and wondering various things. Like I wonder what Stephanie's family were thinking as they were watching her in the church. Were they thinking: this is our adorable little sister and we are so glad that she has found such a wonderful person to love her and cherish her.
And, I loved seeing all the royals in those first few rows. They are such a varied and interesting group. And, what were the things going through their minds? Remembering their own weddings? Remembering how it felt to be so young? Loving the music? For some of them, it was an unfamiliar service...just as for some of us. Still most interesting.
There's just something about a beautiful royal wedding that sticks with you. I will always be glad that we were allowed to be a part of the whole day with Victoria and Daniel. We have a special place in our hearts for them and now for Stephanie and Guilluame. I give them my best wishes and prayers for many blessings.

It really was a memorable wedding, I know what you mean. It had the best of both worlds: grandness of a royal affair, yet seemed intimate, smaller than others and a real family affair,

I'm still on the wedding high too; I can't get enough. I've even watched again from start to finished. It had everything I wanted in a royal wedding. The pre-wedding gala was such a jewel fest with glittering surprises, classics and a new younger set stepping into the serious jewel and tiara wearing (Tessy and Alexandra). The gown, for once was not disappointing in any are for me. It announced that this woman would someday ascend to Grand Duchess. The dress lived up to that standard like no other in a long time.

It was certainly more than I expected it to be. The guests, the ceremony with it's magnificent liturgy and Mozart pieces and especially the bride was straight out of fantasy, imo.

I think it's now my favorite Royal wedding overall, with Daniel/Victoria at #2 and Andrew/Sarah in 1986 at #3. :whistling:

There is a DVD and book that will be released Saturday according to Wort.lu.

I am wondering about the music Stephanie proceeded up the aisle to..it was very stirring but I found it rather unusual for a wedding Processional. I wonder why they chose it?

It was certainly more than I expected it to be. The guests, the ceremony with it's magnificent liturgy and Mozart pieces and especially the bride was straight out of fantasy, imo.

I think it's now my favorite Royal wedding overall, with Daniel/Victoria at #2 and Andrew/Sarah in 1986 at #3. :whistling:

I am wondering about the music Stephanie proceeded up the aisle to..it was very stirring but I found it rather unusual for a wedding Processional. I wonder why they chose it?

I must say, one of my favorite parts was when she reached her groom, and then went to her father. That really moved me, as my father is no longer here. I lost it, it was so touching that she thought of that extra part, a way to show everyone that even though her dad physically could not walk her up the aisle, he was important and he was there, physically and emotionally. :)

That was incredibly moving Andolini. I saw video of Count Philippe sobbing at the civil ceremony and MT kneeling at his side trying to console him. It was just heartbreaking.

Someone said CP Maxima was crying in Church, but I didn't see it. Was it Stephanie walking over to her father that made her cry?

Last edited:
Moonmaiden23 said:
That was incredibly moving Andolini. I saw video of Count Philippe sobbing at the civil ceremony and MT kneeling at his side trying to console him. It was just heartbreaking.

Someone said CP Maxima was crying in Church, but I didn't see it. Was it Stephanie walking over to her father that made her cry?

Yes, I saw CP Maxima wiping her eyes shortly thereafter. Also, I thought Prince Philippe of Belgium looked a little teary in one close-up.

I didn't understand the commentary on the video I watched; why did the congregation all kiss each other on the cheek at some point? I assume the congregation did this too, as it showed the Luxembourg family kissing one another on the cheek and then they panned to the congregation and they were all smiling. Shame there is no photo of it, if they did do it. Would have been lovely to see it.

That was the Rigadon and it was inded written as a processional or recessional- one of the most beautiful in my opinion

I didn't understand the commentary on the video I watched; why did the congregation all kiss each other on the cheek at some point? I assume the congregation did this too, as it showed the Luxembourg family kissing one another on the cheek and then they panned to the congregation and they were all smiling. Shame there is no photo of it, if they did do it. Would have been lovely to see it.
2That is the kiss of peace which is given during the Mass. Some congregations just shake hands, others do the kissing thing

Hello, Molly2101: Yes, that was the kiss of peace, which some of us Protestants also do after communion. :)

And, if you want to know more about some of the details of the music, you can go to this website.
Luxembourg

The wedding gown was absolutely spectacular. Has it been anything written about the weight of the gown? Looking at the video Stephanie was visibly straining to pull the gown along. She must have been exhausted by the time she reached the altar.

grevinnan I have no idea how much it weighed but I'd love to know as well. Considering that it had a whopping 50,000 pearls sown into it by hand, it's no wonder poor Stephanie was walking so slowly and appeared to struggle up the steps of the Cathedral. She got the workout of a lifetime and probably dropped at least five pounds on her wedding day just from pulling that lavish gown around.

At least she wasn't perspiring...someone who was in the choir loft posted online that it was warm inside the Cathedral, and also that Stephanie appeared to "glitter and sparkle up the aisle" from the view above.

It was worth it though, a really beautiful piece of work by designer Elie Saab.

I understood that they left for a private party at castle Berg?!

I understood that they left for a private party at castle Berg?!

I've read a couple of things...first that they left after the fireworks, then the second version is that they attended the party at Berg for close friends and family and left from there.

It makes sense that they would leave from Berg, imo.

I've read a couple of things...first that they left after the fireworks, then the second version is that they attended the party at Berg for close friends and family and left from there.

It makes sense that they would leave from Berg, imo.

I think it was a false rumour about the private party in Berg, because this artical said, that CP Mette-Marit was flown on Saturday at home, with King Harald and Queen Sonja, and because they are one of the best friends of the Luxemburgs, I think there was nothing with this party. So we can assume, that they left after the firework..

Kronprinsesse mette-marit - Mette-Marit i flydrama etter bryllupet - Seoghør.no Kongelige
Google Fordító

Was there a reception after the religious wedding for the guests? Or was it just the gala dinner beforehand?

Was there a reception after the religious wedding for the guests? Or was it just the gala dinner beforehand?

There may have been some kind of gathering or the foreign royals just stuck around for the official portrait.

You didn't think they would send all those people back with out a cookie, so to speak. What horrible etiquette that would be. Of course, they had some food and a reception for them.

This is my absolute dream wedding couple. I had no idea that they would be marrying on the 20th (or better said: I had read it a couple of times but not remembered it), I turned on the TV and saw them - WOW!!! Instant love at first sight.
Countess (now of course Hereditary Grand Duchess) Stéphanie looked absolutely beautiful in her wedding gown. And she has a lovely and sweet charisma from herself, I find. I am totally satisfied. And Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume looked so handsome in his uniform (and I find him handsome by himself too, I add).

Stéphanie is in firm first place as my most beautiful bride, only 'having' to share her spot with the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

This wedding gave me everything I wish for in a royal wedding, and for me it came from a totally unexpected corner. A small country provided a big achievement, Thank You Guillaume and Stéphanie!
You are my couple and I wish you a joyful and happy marriage.

There was indeed very lavish reception after the Cathedral wedding. The menu was published on one of the other sites and it made my mouth water. It included champagne, creme brulee, and lobster, and those were only a couple of the things I can remember!

The reception also showcased an incredible eight-tiered wedding cake. :ohmy:

Then there was a more intimate late night gathering at Berg Castle for family and friends, and the next morning a brunch at Berg for family and other out of town guests.

Henri and Maria-Teresa sure know how to throw a party. They married off their oldest son and heir in VERY grand style. :whistling:

A report in the German magazine Stern about the lunch after the church wedding

Interested what happened in the kitchen? For all German speaking members page 1 and 2 can be found here:

Der Auftrag meines Lebens: Wie Léa Linster die Hochzeit des Herzogs bekochte - Lifestyle | STERN.DE

Der Auftrag meines Lebens: Wie Léa Linster die Hochzeit des Herzogs bekochte - S.2 - Lifestyle | STERN.DE

And the translation:

Page 1: Google Übersetzer

Page 2: Google Übersetzer

PS including an anecdote about an collision of one of the cooks with Queen Fabiola. He obviously oversaw ... but it was her who apologised. Page 2.

Last edited:
This wedding gave me everything I wish for in a royal wedding, and for me it came from a totally unexpected corner. A small country provided a big achievement, Thank You Guillaume and Stéphanie!

As someone said: it was a 'classy wedding' :flowers:! I'm wondering: did it make a difference that the bride came from the nobility and thus not a commoner, at least not by continental standards??. In Northern Europe we've seen a few commoners marrying into royalty in recent years; they've had the full royal make-over all the stops have been pulled out for a 'romantic' wedding - especially Stockholm 2010. Though groomed, primed and prepared the commoner often manage to look a bit out-of-place at the wedding.
Then there's Stephanie de Lannoy with a natural noblesse, - arriving in her in gown, in itself a fairly simple design turned exclusive and sophisticated with the Elie Saab hallmarks, wearing a family heirloom tiara. She was the most stylish bride -stylish in the regal way - I've seen for ages! Then there was the the beautiful music and the solemn occasion.

For the record: I'm not against royalty marrying commoners, but somehow this Luxembourg wedding represented the true mystique of a royal wedding!

viv

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom