Countess Stéphanie's Wedding Dresses (Civil and Church)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have looked at photos and video of Stephanie as a bride more times than I can count over the last two days and I am baffled that anyone describe any part of her as "heavy" or even fuller looking.

That exquisite gown looked as if it had been sewn onto her body while she was standing, it fit so perfectly imo. Fifty years from now it will probably be showcased in some fashion museum.

Catherine Cambridge was a very pretty bride, Stephanie de Lannoy a magnificent one, imo.

Last edited:
Moonmaiden, any of us would look fuller in that cut of dress. It was not designed to slim, but to enhance. Most of us have to wear these "slimming" things to look decent, at least I do. I remember wearing a dress with the cut of Stephanie's wedding gown to perform Spanish dance (without the train, of course), and I looked what I considered to be too heavy, but then I was never as slim as Stephanie. In my ordinary clothes at that time (age 16) I looked much slimmer and was thought of as a slender person, even though I was 5'8" and l40 pounds. If I had taken off ten pounds I would have looked good in that dress. That was a million years ago! (she did look great in that dress).

I see what you are saying Mariel1, but no. I still can't see where it makes Stephanie look "fuller"....anywhere.

And I doubt if say...Letizia or Kate wore that dress they'd look any heavier either.

It really is a work of art by Saab, very flattering to Stephanie imo.

Daisiesforever said:
I was rather surprised at the choice of Elie Saab over a traditional European designer. Royal brides should be supporting designers from their own countries.

But Stephanie belongs to Luxembourg now, and I haven't heard of any designers from there. So, she is free to choose from numerous designers, unlike Catherine and Letizia who have to promote their country's fashion industry.

Sonjapearl they do indeed have local talent in Luxembourg. Maybe as HGD Stephanie will choose to promote them by wearing their clothes.

But this was her bridal gown, arguably the most important item of clothing she will wear in her public life. She wanted, or MT wanted, the best. Someone with a proven international reputation.

And they made the right choice because everyone is talking about Stephanie's wedding dress and how completely stunning it was. :whistling:

But Stephanie belongs to Luxembourg now, and I haven't heard of any designers from there. So, she is free to choose from numerous designers, unlike Catherine and Letizia who have to promote their country's fashion industry.
Brides from foreign countries are not so restricted to whom they choose to design their wedding gowns. Princess Maxima's Valentino, Q.Silvia's Dior. When the bride weds in their own country a domestic designer is more likely, like duchess Catherine and Princess Victoria. An exception is Princess Mary but that may be due to the Queen's major role in the design of her gown.

I would like gowns that cost less in the way of money and work, not that I'm opposed to spending money on the wedding.
I have to disagree, I prefer royal wedding dresses that are creations of art, something unique. Anything that is handmade will take time to do, and thus also cost money. I know the effort that goes into dress-making, my mother used to sew dresses and when sewing a simple/plain dress, it takes many hours to get a good fit with trying-on the dress several times and sometimes having to pull up stitches and sew again. And for the hand-embroidery, yes it takes a lot of time, but the end result is worth it. For me it's a pity that crafts such as hand-embroidery and lace-making doesn't get appreciated for their artistic value today, they are as much works of art as a painting or a sculpture are.

Countess Stéphanie stole my heart in her wedding gown. She looked absolutely beautiful.
How she was dressed, that is how I envision a bride. I love opulent, elegant wedding gowns and this is a perfect example. And then I don't even mention her charisma, what she radiates. Sweet, pure and demure. Serene.

For me it's so abnormal these days to see a bride that I find beautiful that it is almost a strange feeling when I do see one that I love. Talk about withdrawal... So thank you (now) Hereditary Grand Duchess Stéphanie for looking how a bride is supposed to look!

While I found the Chanel for the civil ceremony to be on the mature and frumpy side, the Elie Saab wedding gown took my breath away! For me, Stephanie embodied 'the' modern-day fairytale princess aura in that gown.

Here is the sketch of her dress. Absolutely stunning.

I saw the comments of how lovely she looked in the plum colored dress on the morning of the civil wedding, but that the shoes were not so good. Agreed! The plum colored dress was the best one she has worn, in my view, but the shoes are dangerous. Why do women want to be so tall? She is taller than Guillaume in these shoes. On another thread, someone was commenting about Princess Anne of England looking dorky in her outfit at two weddings, at which she wore lower heeled shoes, as she always does these days. I thought Anne looked fine and her shoes were fine--not glamorous shoes but graceful.

On another thread, someone was commenting about Princess Anne of England looking dorky in her outfit at two weddings, at which she wore lower heeled shoes, as she always does these days. I thought Anne looked fine and her shoes were fine--not glamorous shoes but graceful.
Anne is more than 30 years older than Stéphanie, and platform shoes is popular among the younger generation of today, it's understandable that Stéphanie wants to wear shoes as other women of her age do, and not something more suitable for someone of an older generation. There have been many comments here about Stéphanie dressing in a way that makes her look older than she is, and now when she wears shoes like those many of her contemporaries wear, then there are complaints about that too.

Meraude, I have not complained about the look of the very high heel or platform shoes. They are glamorous. However, they are not very good for feet. And can even be dangerous if worn on uneven ground, like cobblestones in medieval areas. I would suggest 2 l/2 or 3 inch heels. I have liked all of Stephanie's clothing except the dress she wore to the baptism of Estelle. They did not look matronly to me--just pretty and dignified. The plum dress was the best because it flattered her figure type and skin type. Perfect!

Here is the sketch of her dress. Absolutely stunning.

Stunning is the word. Elie Saab outdid himself...I am just noticing that the veil and dress are embroidered with autumn leaves...perfect!

Is Princess Stephanie's the first Royal bridal gown he has designed?

Last edited:
Why do women want to be so tall? She is taller than Guillaume in these shoes.

Why shouldn't she wear those shoes? If she wants to, she should feel free to wear high heels even if it made her look as tall or taller than Guillaume. I don't see a reason for women to comply with societal standard that a woman should be shorter than a man.

Mariel1 said:
I saw the comments of how lovely she looked in the plum colored dress on the morning of the civil wedding, but that the shoes were not so good. Agreed! The plum colored dress was the best one she has worn, in my view, but the shoes are dangerous. Why do women want to be so tall? She is taller than Guillaume in these shoes.

OMG. Is this going to be a topic of every one of your posts? I agree with you, many others agree with you, but i fear this complaint is like howling at the wind.

Don't get the hype, it is a pretty gown but not the best; Mette Marit and others had better gowns than her. The bottom and train are the best parts, but the top leaves something to be desired, I will say she has had the best train I have seen since Maxima and Mette Marit.
The sketches on the other hand are fantastic, really breathtaking. I wonder why sketches always looks 10x better than the actual dress. Not saying the dress isn't pretty it definitely is; but the sketch is phenomenal.

Last edited:
I'm searching the menu of wedding day , I saw a few lines from Lea Linster about traditional delicacies , but nothing more :sad:

The sketches on the other hand are fantastic, really breathtaking. I wonder why sketches always looks 10x better than the actual dress. Not saying the dress isn't pretty it definitely is; but the sketch is phenomenal.
Probably because all the detailed work of beads, lace and so on can be seen better in a sketch than on tv and photos, especially as all the exquisite detailed work that's done disappears as it is in white-on-white. If you look at Grace Kelly's wedding dress you will see that the dress had a very pale greyish tint which made the lace so much more noticeable than if it had been pure white, even in black-and-white photos.

Stephanie was a phenomenal bride overall. She is tied with Maxima for Most Beautiful Royal Bride, second only to Grace Kelly imo.

Last edited:
Don't get the hype, it is a pretty gown but not the best; Mette Marit and others had better gowns than her. The bottom and train are the best parts, but the top leaves something to be desired, I will say she has had the best train I have seen since Maxima and Mette Marit.

Mette-Marit had a better gown than Stéphanie? I wholeheartedly disagree. Mette-Marit's gown was way too simple for me. For her (and probably also considering her background) it was a good gown, but not what I expect from a bride and I didn't like the design either. Too narrow in some parts.

Stéphanie's gown was the absolute best - it had been years since I had seen such a beautiful gown and with so much detailing. I am still in awe of it.

Mette-Marit had a better gown than Stéphanie? I wholeheartedly disagree. Mette-Marit's gown was way too simple for me. For her (and probably also considering her background) it was a good gown, but not what I expect from a bride and I didn't like the design either. Too narrow in some parts.

Stéphanie's gown was the absolute best - it had been years since I had seen such a beautiful gown and with so much detailing. I am still in awe of it.

Couldn't agree more!

I have loved it since the wedding (didn't watch it initially) from the photos I had seen, and had it up there at number two with Maxima's for my favorite dresses. Now that I have seen her dress (watched the wedding for the first time on YouTube) live and moving rather than still like I did Maxima's, I have to say, I have changed or am changing my opinion on my number one spot!

Elie Saab was a miracle worker! She was an angel and wore this gown beautifully.

Perfect from head to toe!

Stephanie was a phenomenal bride overall. She is tied with Maxima for Most Beautiful Royal Bride, second only to Grace Kelly imo.

For the longest time I thought that Grace would be iconic forever in the bridal department and that she would be everyone's number one (including my own) forever. But, I am slowly seeing beautiful brides like Maxima, and especially Stephanie who are paving their own way and becoming what one would also consider an iconic bride as well.

That may not have made any sense!

I guess what I am trying to say is... It's hard to look at brides like Stephanie, Maxima and even Grace's daughter-in-law Charlene and not think they too can or will be looked at as bridal icons some day in the future in one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really love Stephanie's wedding dress, it was so beautiful and elegant.... One of my fave royal wedding dress :D

I really love Stephanie's wedding dress, it was so beautiful and elegant.... One of my fave royal wedding dress :D

If you have yet to get a flips of the dress live (on YouTube or another media outlet), you really should! It's stunning in action -so to speak!

I had Maxima as my favorite gown ever since she married, and I had since changed that. Stephanie's dress is just breathtaking!

Maxima's obviously is still one of my favorites, but it has officially dropped to the number two spot.

Such a beautiful dress, such a stunning bride!

Mette-Marit's gown was elegant and extremely simple. Considering her rather complicated past and the fact that she came to the altar as a single mother it was very wise of her and her designer to forego the whole "fantasy princess" route.

Countess Stephanie de Lannoy, and therefore her bridal gown, were a completely different story. Saab went for Belle Epoque, over-the-top bridal splendor and I think he succeeded fantastically. It exceeded my wildest dreams for Stephanie who I was convinced would walk up the aisle in a plain Natan coat/dress. I suspect Grand Duchess Maria-Theresa got involved here, and thank goodness she did because Stephanie's dress is one of my top three all time favorite Royal wedding dresses. It's almost a year after the wedding, and I still love to stare at it! :whistling:

Some people complained about the color, but that is one of the things I loved most about it. This is a girl everyone expected to wear pure white, but she chose a silvery/oyster/pearl shade that someone else compared to moonlight. It shimmered and moved beautifully. If it looked that spectacular on TV I can only imagine how it looked in person!

Here is a link to a dress that looks very similar to Stephanie's, especially from the back.

Pronovias presents the Folie wedding dress. Elie by Elie Saab 2013. | Pronovias

Last edited:
Stephanie's dress was gorgeous! Her dress is #1 for me, followed Maxima's & MM (no order here).

Back
Top Bottom