The Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cauldron will be lit by children? Future athletes, are you actually joking?

Petals make up the cauldron, which looks like a clock.

I'm disappointed, I would have wanted some great British athlete to have the honour.

That really was very beautiful. :)
The way those petals came together... Stunning!

I actually liked the idea of transfer of legacy from established legends to athletes who have yet to prove themselves.

Only thing we're good at, fireworks.

I liked the Australian informs as well. Very sporting.

The blazers have the names of 131 Olympic champions stitched in gold on the inner lining which is a nice tribute I thought.

The Dunlop volley's suited the ensemble.

I happen to love a combination of the green and white colours. The green and white colours represent a eternal hope. Teams from the African continent got points for incorporating national elements into uniforms (e.g., Rwanda).
Of course it was. China is an authoritarian regime, where spending $200 million on a show is an option, because they have no independent press or political opposition to question their actions. They were also able to produce 20,000 'volunteers' who followed orders in the way the Chinese have to.

London has never set out to be better than Beijing, just different to Beijing, which they clearly managed.
The never ending "China is the authoritarian regime" is becoming stale. The Chinese authorities, like any Asian government, did their best in 2008 to host the Games. That is all.

Last edited:
There is no reason to denounce the announcement though. You can't misinterpret what is now public knowledge because it doesn't necessarily suit your prerogative to have formed a contrary opinion.

Yes it should have been done right the first time, on that I will agree, but the situation was recitified. Working in the field of fashion myself, I know first hand that when such a commission is cancelled and made known publically, then it has come through the appropriate channels, both at a government and industry level. A point was being made.

The 2014 Olympic uniforms, also to be designed by Ralph Lauren, will be made in the US. That was the announcement. The current uniforms being worn in London right now were made in China.

"With athletes having already arrived in London, and the apparel distribution process beginning this weekend, we are unfortunately not able to make a change for London," USOC CEO Scott Blackmun said in a statement.
For 2014 Olympics, Team USA uniforms to be made in the United States

It's not Ralph Lauren that I'm upset with but US taxes and regulations that have caused the company to manufacture elsewhere. I have the utmost respect for RL, so please don't assume I'm making a contrary remark for the sake of making it.

Ahhh...so that was what was being carried in during the parade of nations beaide the country names!! Brilliant!

Hey Jude...
The biggest surprise of the night. ;)

No, Britain invented most of the most popular sports in the world - Football, Cricket, Baseball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Rugby, Rounders, Snooker, Cycling, Billiards, some forms of rowing and sailing, Darts, Golf, Modern Boxing, Badminton, Squash, Polo, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Bowls, Curling, Ten Pin Bowling, Modern Motor Racing, Modern Pentatlon, Eventing/Horse Trials among many, many others.

The idea of the Olympic Games was invented in Greece, but not many of the sports themselves.
Ya I mean the ancient Olympic games had sports such as running boxing and wrestling. Maybe he meant modern sports in general but I didn't appreaciate the fact he said the games are home or something to that affect.The home of the Olympics is Greece, period without us there would be nothing. Hence why we go first in Parade of Nations.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Windsor@Queen_UK
You may not have seen it, but these fireworks were started by Camilla throwing an Olympic cigarette into a special box. #olympicceremony

I waited three and a half hours for the cauldron to be lit by children? Biggest anti climax ever.

A british athlete, even Sir Steve Redgrave should have had the honour of lighting that cauldron. That was total BS "passing the flame on", London's year and we missed out in a huge way.
The ceremony has been rushed, patched together and for me showed nothing of the true Olympics I have come to enjoy. The speeches and the athletes parade were the best part for me. What a true shame.

I waited three and a half hours for the cauldron to be lit by children? Biggest anti climax ever.

That's the patriotic spirit for you! :p

I actually thought the music was far better prior to the generational time travel segment. And I find Paul McCartney crazily overrated, no matter his career success. Surely a nice British patriotic hymn like I Vowe To The My Country would have been a welcome addition to the line up. Something purely British and totally unadulterated in it's creative origin.

Last edited:
I love the idea too since it is not easy to choose 1 person which will satisfy the rest, why not try it differently. I like how the smaller flames come together to become the main Olympic flame - it symbolize teamwork, united and a common goal!!!

:britflag: :britflag: :britflag: Well done!!! Great to see the next generation of Olympians lighting the Olympic Cauldron! :britflag: :britflag: :britflag:

A british athlete, even Sir Steve Redgrave should have had the honour of lighting that cauldron. That was total BS "passing the flame on", London's year and we missed out in a huge way.
The ceremony has been rushed, patched together and for me showed nothing of the true Olympics I have come to enjoy. The speeches and the athletes parade were the best part for me. What a true shame.

I totally agree with you, this opening ceremony was full of disappointments for me. This was a wonderful possibility to stun the whole world, but it failed.

Last edited:
susan alicia said:
Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK
You may not have seen it, but these fireworks were started by Camilla throwing an Olympic cigarette into a special box. #olympicceremony

LOL. I can't wait to see it all tonight!!!

Do you really have to be so negative? Quite clearly, fireworks is not the only thing we're good at. I don't know why you feel the need to do our country down all the time.

For those who are interested on The Queen's entrance, more details here:
Queen parachutes into Olympics with James Bond in acting debut - Telegraph
excerpts...

The scene was devised by Danny Boyle in the summer of 2011, and while Buckingham Palace quickly agreed to take part it took far longer for the Queen and Craig to find a gap in their schedules.

The film was eventually shot on March 27, as the Queen prepared for her Diamond Jubilee celebrations and Craig was working on the next James Bond film.The three hour film shoot involved more than 130 people and was directed by Boyle himself.

According to Nicholas Brown, the BBC's director of Drama Production, she gave a flawless performance. "She got it in one take. That's what she does, and she does it very well. She is a professional."It was extraordinary to have the two [The Queen and Daniel Craig] together with the corgis and the schoolchildren. The Palace was terrific about the shoot and we were delighted and honoured that the Queen was involved."

Was well done overall. Now all I want to see at the closing ceremonies is the gigantic Maple Leaf smuggled in like they use to do and I'll be happy! LOL

Do you really have to be so negative? Quite clearly, fireworks is not the only thing we're good at. I don't know why you feel the need to do our country down all the time.

Well in my opinion, this evening fireworks are the only thing they've been good at. If you do not like my opinion on this, I suggest you ignore it. However that will not stop me from voicing what I think.

Your country is not going to fall because I speak my mind.

over now finally now to prep for tomorrow mornings first events yay soo exciting!

I am so annoyed that NBC decided not to air the Olympics live...:bang:

My two cents about the ceremony.

- I expected that idyllic British greenery to last a little longer. It was beautiful, interesting, and very British (at least, as Britain is seen abroad).
- World Wars and July 7 parts were poignant and touching.
- The Queen part, and Mr Bean bits were nothing short of brilliant.
- The fireworks were magnificent.
- THe cauldron bit was absolutely amazing; I loved how those petals (each symbolising a country) came together (symbolizing unity) - really clever and in Olympic spirit.

- The music part I disliked, despite most of the songs being my favourites.
- The industrial revolution and British history parts were interesting, but too many things were going on: those who do not have in-depth knowledge of British history would find it hard to follow.

Overall, pretty good.
The only downside for me is the impression the organisers bring together too many things, ideas, stories.

:fireworks:GOOD JOB, LONDON!:fireworks:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom