The Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i teared up when he said the first olympics where every country has women athletes

Is Rogue out of his mind the birthplace of modern sports ummm isn't that Greece?? We started it all......in 1896 and actually even before that

The birthplace of the modern olympics and sportsmanship that inspired Pierre came from the United Kingdom. From everything I have read about Pierre, the modern Olympics and sport I believe his words are correct. The Olympics as a whole came from Greece I agree.

The Queen officially opened the Games.

Please Please Please be Sir Roger Bannister!

I like the speeches, they belong to the ceremony.
Wow- Haile Gebrselassie and Ban Ki-Moon carrying the olympic flag.

The birthplace of the modern olympics and sportsmanship that inspired Pierre came from the United Kingdom. From everything I have read about Pierre, the modern Olympics and sport I believe his words are correct. The Olympics as a whole came from Greece I agree.
Maybe but I didn't like how he said the Olympics are home. The Olympics home is Greece otherwise we wouldn't be first in Parade of Nations

Mohammed Ali.
Swear I'm going to cry.

The flag carriers are legendary.
Mohammed Ali. How great is it to see him?!

They said they relocated it to the US. That's a lot different than actually doing it, or doing it right in the first place

There is no reason to denounce the announcement though. You can't misinterpret what is now public knowledge because it doesn't necessarily suit your prerogative in having formed a contrary opinion.

Yes it should have been done right the first time, on that I will agree, but the situation was recitified. Working in the field myself, I know first hand that when such a commission is cancelled and made public, then it has come through the appropriate channels, both at a government and industry level. A point was being made.

Last edited:
Is Rogue out of his mind the birthplace of modern sports ummm isn't that Greece?? We started it all......in 1896 and actually even before that

No, Britain invented most of the most popular sports in the world - Football, Cricket, Baseball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Rugby, Rounders, Snooker, Cycling, Billiards, some forms of rowing and sailing, Darts, Golf, Modern Boxing, Badminton, Squash, Polo, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Bowls, Curling, Ten Pin Bowling, Modern Motor Racing, Modern Pentatlon, Eventing/Horse Trials among many, many others.

The idea of the Olympic Games was invented in Greece, but not many of the sports themselves.

Sir Steve Redgrave will light the cauldron.

The opening ceremony was all right. I liked the uniforms of the Australian team. The Queen moment was a bit too much. Celebreties and politicians did overshadow the event. The Beijing ceremony in 2008 was far better.

Lumutqueen said:
Sir Steve Redgrave will light the cauldron.

Awesome! Go sir Steve!

The Oaths!! Don't know why, but I love it when they take the oath.

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Sir Steve Redgrave, legendary Olympian. Well deserved.

Awesome! Go sir Steve!

Really? I had to look up who he was -- never heard of him. I was hoping for Prince Philip given his work with the Duke of Edinburgh Award. Oh well! I suppose he's popular in Britain and that's what counts!

Maybe he will gave the torch and the fire to someone else still?

Unfortunately not. He's running in now.

Really? I had to look up who he was -- never heard of him. I was hoping for Prince Philip given his work with the Duke of Edinburgh Award. Oh well! I suppose he's popular in Britain and that's what counts!

That would be about as controversial as letting Usain light it. :lol: The Olympic Torch should be lit by a sportsman, and whilst Sir Steve is legendary in his field I believe others deserved the honour greater.

Young athletes running with the flame now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice touch with the 500 person honour gaurd made up of folks who built the park!

Elizabeth Windsor@Queen_UK
The French commentary is getting on one's nerves a bit.

BTW, thanks to all for the updates -- can't wait to watch for myself in a few hours. :flowers:

The opening ceremony was all right. I liked the uniforms of the Australian team. The Queen moment was a bit too much. Celebreties and politicians did overshadow the event. The Beijing ceremony in 2008 was far better.

I liked the Australian informs as well. Very sporting.

The blazers have the names of 131 Olympic champions stitched in gold on the inner lining which is a nice tribute I thought.

The Dunlop volley's suited the ensemble.

Cauldron will be lit by children? Future athletes, are you actually joking?

Petals make up the cauldron, which looks like a clock.

The Beijing ceremony in 2008 was far better.

Of course it was. China is an authoritarian regime, where spending $200 million on a show is an option, because they have no independent press or political opposition to question their actions. They were also able to produce 20,000 'volunteers' who followed orders in the way the Chinese have to.

London has never set out to be better than Beijing, just different to Beijing, which they clearly managed.

Elizabeth Windsor@Queen_UK
OK, I think we're done aren't we? Do we need to drag this out?

beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom