The Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it just me, or was the Queen sitting with her legs crossed?! Is it not usually knees together?

I'm looking forward to the nation who has sent just two athletes.

Why are they trying to speed up the parade, what's the point?

Was it just me, or was the Queen sitting with her legs crossed?! Is it not usually knees together?

She was, I noticed the leg showing.

And, did Huw Edwards have to mention finance in this?

700,000 US Dollars for a gold medal Artemisia? :flowers:

Another lateness issue for me, the missing athletes.

Just seen Charles and Camilla sat next to Lord Seb Coe.

Looking good, Artemisia!!

The tribute was very beautiful.

That musical segment felt a little frantic and I thought went on a bit too long. But that's the only part that I haven't really been too keen on. So far, I think London had done a great job with the opening. I'm really enjoying the show.

Athlete time...I love seeing all the athletes.

Lumutqueen said:
Anyone think it's weird to see athletes taking pictures?

This petal thing intrigues me.

I can accept it. It's not as if one gets the chance very often to be in the Olympic. It's a moment they will want to treasure for the rest of their life.

700,000 US Dollars for a gold medal Artemisia? :flowers:
Yep - and he'll pay too. :D
The fact is, we've won plenty of silver and bronze, but only one gold medal in the Olympics (although a lot of Armenian sportsmen won gold with the Soviet Union).

Looking good, Artemisia!!
We have high hopes this year, although mainly in wrestling, weightlifting and boxing. ;)
Now, if chess was Olympic sport, we'd beat everyone easily; it's national obsession here.

Last edited:
Anyone looking forward to the nations with royal families to get glimpses? ;)

Arhh I can't wait to see Denmark arrive- and seeing Queen Margrethe II, Henrik, CP Frederik & CP Mary !! :D

The Bangladesh Flag Bearer looks like he was going to hit the petal carrier in the face.

Belgian team enters and they show Jacques Rogge, aren't Mathilde and Phillipe here?

Bermuda shorts and socks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think the Queen's sitting next to Jacques Rogge as the nations come through saying "I'm Queen of that country, and that country, and that country...."

I can accept it. It's not as if one gets the chance very often to be in the Olympic. It's a moment they will want to treasure for the rest of their life.

I can't understand the comments of some posters!

I agree with you tlklhm, it's not weird at all. A once in a lifetime opportunity for some athletes to represent their country at an Olympic Games, so it's understandable that they should want to capture the moment themselves.

Belgian team enters and they show Jacques Rogge, aren't Mathilde and Phillipe here?
Mathilde and Philippe are there. They showed them for just a second, right after Rogge; Mathilde is wearing a red dress.

"charles" tweets Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Not sure how most of these nations could afford to come here. #olympicceremony
Personally I loved the "What part of "stop talking in bloody French" do you not understand?" twit from "Prince Charles". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
They're carrying umbrella's!!! Hilarious.

Do you think the Queen's sitting next to Jacques Rogge as the nations come through saying "I'm Queen of that country, and that country, and that country...."

I WISH that were true.

Very unfortunate name for one of the Brazilian athletes.

I actually looked up Burkina Faso's capital's name - Ouagadougou.

the athletes with the cameras make it much more casual... not a bad thing, just remembering how the opening ceremony entrance was always more formal and the closing ceremonies were the more casual. with all of the athletes with their cameras, they don't stay in the lines. its always a joy to watch the parade of the athletes.

Big cheer for Canada from the crowd in London!

and this one when she flew in:p

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Mother's decided to turn up. "Absolutely sod all on the television tonight". #olympicceremony

Personally I loved the "What part of "stop talking in bloody French" do you not understand?" twit from "Prince Charles". :D

Just spotted Andrew and his daughters in the audience as Belgium came past (I know, I am behind but I paused it for a bit.) Is Andrew part of the committee? I also saw The Duke and Duchess of Kent, are they members?

Back
Top Bottom