The Opening Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
The Queen is not at the stadium yet. Rumour has it, she'll arrive by helicopter.
Looks nice but I'm getting a bit lost. Would have loved the pre-industrial setting to remain for a little longer.

Really annoyed I have to go pick my father up from the airport in 15! If I miss the Queen I'll scream.

I wonder if there were any controversies about the seating plan of the VIPs down there on the stadium? Hosting 95 heads of state and government must cause some problems in terms of protocol and logistics. Did they arrive by coaches?

They had the right people to sort it out, and at the moment anyone in that stadium is just pleased to be there best seats or not.

They all took buses from Buckingham Palace to the Stadium.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrive by helicopter? That is a bit excessive.

The Suffragettes!

The drums are pretty cool, the woman leading them all in the drums is deaf. She is so talented to be able to do that, something to be proud off.

World War I + II now.

:previous:
The Queen is not at the stadium yet. Rumour has it, she'll arrive by helicopter.
Looks nice but I'm getting a bit lost. Would have loved the pre-industrial setting to remain for a little longer.

I think we might see it come back to a certain extent. The Olympic park was an industrial wasteland and has been cleansed and brought back, which I think will be the overarching theme.

The Suffragettes!

Supposedly arriving with James Bond.

I would have liked a bit more silence to mark two world wars.

A pretty poignant moment.
Have to explain everything to my parents though; they haven't got a clue what's happening - and, by the sound of it, neither do our commentators.

My mother, who has been so excited for the Olympic Games amidst my realism has just come up to me and said "bit boring isn't it, makes me want to go to sleep".

I do hope this livens up, I get the story of the UK but for me that's not what it should be about.

Supposedly arriving with James Bond.
I would have liked a bit more silence to mark two world wars.
Another rumour; Beckham's big moment will be a James Bond style entrance - presumably, via a helicopter as well.
One of those rumours has to be false because two helicopters is a bit too much.

My mother, who has been so excited for the Olympic Games amidst my realism has just come up to me and said "bit boring isn't it, makes me want to go to sleep".

I do hope this livens up, I get the story of the UK but for me that's not what it should be about.

For me - someone who's hugely interested in British history - it's pretty interesting.
But the impression I've got so far is that they tried to express too many ideas in very short time - and it's not working brilliantly for those unfamiliar with English history.

This said, for me personally everything looks great.

You're right, it's too much I think. Surely they want to impress the world and the Queen's spectacular arrival could be an important part of the show. They want to beat the Chinese ;).

They want to beat the Chinese ;).

We will never beat Beijing, that spectacular will never be beaten I don't believe.

For me - someone who's hugely interested in British history - it's pretty interesting.
But the impression I've got so far is that they tried to express too many ideas in very short time - and it's not working brilliantly for anyone unfamiliar with English history.

History is my thing as well, I get what they're trying to do to tell the story of the UK etc but why? I don't get it.

I do like the Olympic rings thing though.

We will never beat Beijing, that spectacular will never be beaten I don't believe.

There was speculation that a lot of what was shown in Beijing was infact CGI, particularly the fireworks. I do, however, agree that no one will beat Beijing, especially not London.

ARGH! Please don't let this be bad.

The queen!!!!!!!

Supposedly half nine at night and it's still bright outside, obvs ;)

The Queen! :clap:
Helicopter it is then.

Awww Corgis.

The Queen, an actress. Who would've thought?

Wow the Corgis play their part too!!! Oh is HM going to land right at the centre of the stadium in the helicopter?

Churchill! :cool:
How adorable were the corgis?

What a thrill to have the Queen feature this way. A truly unprecedented appearance. Remarkable infact!

I also like that Buckingham Palace and it's interior were used for production, including the Queen's private drawing room.

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Not the Queen then.

Can you imagine if she really arrived like that?

Bit too much for me, I get James Bond but using The Queen's image like that doesn't seem right.

Archbishop of Canterbury sat there, interesting.

That was FANTASTIC!

The Queen and James Bond, not a good combination at all. The only good thing in it was that the Queen didn't come out of the helicopter.
This was a totally unnecessary thing at the opening ceremony and didn't suit to my image about the Queen at all.

Back
Top Bottom