The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Was it just me, or was the Queen sitting with her legs crossed?! Is it not usually knees together?

I saw that too and I agree with you - knees together usually. ALso saw her picking at her nails when gb athletes went past. Not like ourt Queen at all I thought

Old 07-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Gentry

Was a bit disappointed with the Australian coverage I saw in the lack of showing members of the royal families. I did notice they gave the Moroccan royal family some air time though and they had two cute kids with them looking very excited.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Royal Highness

Is it just me or did anyone else miss the Queen's smile in the film clip and at opening ceremonies?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Olympic Security 2012: India demands Games security probe after imposter joins its team at Opening Ceremony | Mail Online

I never undstood such people. What was there for her to gain? The lady knew that the Indian Olympic team would be extremely displeased with her actions. On a different note, the uniforms looked nice.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Lord Coe has issued a statement saying the woman was part of the Olympic Opening Ceremony and took it upon herself to walk in the parade "obviously overcome with excitement" he said. Obviously no security people were actually paying attention.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

The finnish commentators of the opening ceremony told, that Danny Boyle had especially asked at the press conference for the commentators, that the commentators shouldn't talk much during the numbers at the opening ceremony. This made the job of the commentators quite difficult, because there was so much to tell about the history of England which was described at the elements of the ceremony, and now they could tell only a little part of it.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sadly, I fell asleep, so I can't comment. I did stir in time for the march of the athletes, which I always enjoy.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm not quite sure where to discuss this as there's no general thread for the games.

What do we all think about the location of the cauldron? Last night it was put out and moved within the stadium amidst huge criticism towards Seb Coe who has denied it being available for the public to see after the games.

And what about the empty seats issue?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

The cauldron idea for the opening ceremony was inspiring and it is designed NOT to be a permanent fixture

Each of the 205 petals are being given to each participating country - so its being dismantled at the end of the games.

Anyone who sees or attends the athletics events will see it and so will those who watch the events on the screen around the olympic park

It wont see seen by any one just walking around the park and who is not looking at the screens

IMO a bunch of nay-sayers are making a mountai n out of nothing. And they are most likely people who are not attending the athletics.

As for the empty seats - to quote Sir Clive Woodward, at Beijing there were events where no one turned up. 3000 seats have just been made available. If the "Olympic Family" who demand seats in advance can't be bothered to turn up then we've done the right thing and made them available.

No issues here.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Whilst I like the dismantling thing, looking at a screen isn't the same as seeing it for real. Tickets to athletics are/ were expensive massively, so it's not peoples fault that they can't see it. Their 'excuse' is that that's the way it was done in 1948.

As for the reselling of tickets I find it amusing because who's going to be able to get time off work at such short notice to go and attend an Olympic event? Unless you work for yourself or have a lenient boss it'd be almost impossible. I myself would love to go, if I could find the cheaper tickets just for the atmosphere but I would not be able to get the time off work. I prefer the idea that when 'good' seats are unfilled , people who are at the venues in the cheap seats should be allowed to move down.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Can't please everyone and its better than leaving them empty.

IMO not being able to see the flame is not a problem to the majority of people walking round the park. It they had left it where it was (admittedly not possible a its in the middle of the throwing/tossing/etc arena) peeps wouldn't have seen it anyway.

what made it special was 205 pipes with the petals on the end rising up - not possible anywhere but in an open space. Moving it must be difficult - moving it UP where it could be seen was obviously a step too far. These are 205 gas pipes!

It's not the end of the world and worth it because that opening ceremony was GOLD

Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's just been moved to the end of what will be the 100m final line. There's pleasing everyone and pleasing no one, yes the concept was beautiful the petal thing is a fabulous idea. Although the petals look a bit discoloured bow of course. But isn't the Olympics for the people? It could have been designed better for the public I believe.

As to whether the Olympic's Ceremony was 'gold' is a matter of opinion, I along with a lot of other people were disappointed.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Ah well - that's life I guess. I LOVED it along with the majority of opinion I've read in the press and amongst people I know.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Overall I would say the opening went down rather well. NBC commentators have spent that last 3 days raving about it.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

It was extinguished? That's not possible as the flame must be lit until the end of the games. One way or another, the flame would have had to have been kept alight.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
It was extinguished? That's not possible as the flame must be lit until the end of the games. One way or another, the flame would have had to have been kept alight.
I'm not sure, I heard it on the radio on the way home. They put it out apparently, moved it, then relit it this morning. I imagine they kept it alight somewhere I'll look on the DM see what they have to say.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM

i think that the opening of the olympics 2004 was much better! london olympics opening was great.. but can not compere with those of greece!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

The light in the cauldron was transferred to a miners lamp (or lantern) - the same way as during the relay - and relit this morning. The relighting was carried out by a torch-bearer from the 1948 olympics, which I think is a lovely touch.

EDIT: Name of the torch-bearer is Austin Playfoot and he is 82 years old!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

on twitter

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
You'd have to be stupid to think that Mother actually jumped out of the helicopter. She was pushed.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
on twitter

Prince Charles ‏@Charles_HRH
You'd have to be stupid to think that Mother actually jumped out of the helicopter. She was pushed.
omg.