The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I guess it would annoy those who are overly sensitive.

When considering the games are taking place in London, it's little wonder many foreigners should associate the countryside as being English, first and formost.
I thought they did an excellent job saluting all the cultures of the Isles in the very beginning with the children singing folk tunes from England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. The fact that they used Glastonbury Tor as a main focus also reflected this. Although in SW England, it dates back to before Roman times and there's a wealth of myth and legend and history surrounding it. I was just kind of surprised that Stonehenge wasn't incorporated somehow.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I thought each nation was represented well also, considering the fast paced nature of the Opening Ceremony.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen/James Bond movie was amusing, but not as amusing as the internet meme the queen's bored looks inspired today all over the internet. And the gifs of her examining her fingernails whilst Team Great Britain walked by. Hilarious. And the commentators saying how thrilled and excited she looked. LOL!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
The Queen/James Bond movie was amusing, but not as amusing as the internet meme the queen's bored looks inspired today all over the internet. And the gifs of her examining her fingernails whilst Team Great Britain walked by. Hilarious. And the commentators saying how thrilled and excited she looked. LOL!
Amazing. The Queen has gone viral on the internet and at 86 years old too!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I guess it would annoy those who are overly sensitive.

When considering the games are taking place in London, it's little wonder many foreigners should associate the countryside as being English, first and formost.
The countryside I've seen today, and commented on here (cycling), was most definately English since it was Surrey, unless Surrey has relocated to another country :)

LaRae
Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The countryside I've seen today, and commented on here (cycling), was most definately English since it was Surrey, unless Surrey has relocated to another country :)

LaRae

Ahhh... maybe I did get confused. I associated talking about the countryside to mean the display at the opening ceremonies as that's what this thread is about.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

No worries, I was really just teasing ....some of us foreigners do know a little about the countries that make up GB :)

LaRae
Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe

I know its on BBC iplayer cos I just watched partof it again.
Cepe, can you tell me what I player is. Is that like on demand where you can watch it at any time.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allymclean View Post
Cepe, can you tell me what I player is. Is that like on demand where you can watch it at any time.
The BBC iPlayer doesn't work in the US.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Serene Highness

Well I thought the opening ceremony was fantastic! I loved how the children sang the folk songs from old. The scenery was magnificent. I was in awe of the beauty that was before my eyes. I didnt particularly care for the Frankie thing though the music was good. The James Bond thing was kind of fun although I never really thought the Queen would be a part of something like that. The corgis were adorable of course and seeing the DoE next to her was great. He looks in good health. All in all it was a brilliant performance. The Queen looked quite pleased with it for the most part.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingnana View Post
I really enjoyed the opening ceremony and the Queen's bit with James Bond and the Corgis was priceless. I thought the lighting of the cauldron was magnificent, but really, Paul McCartney has lost what little voice he had- he is way past his prime and I felt so badly for him that he was performing at a subpar level. I like most of the uniforms, well the uniforms from GB were a little unusual but they did look comfortable. Anyhow, the British as always came through splendidly and put on a great show.
I liked these Ceremonies much better than from China. It seemed more personal & heart felt, as to china's Over the top ceremony. Now, don't get me wrong. China's show was very good but, came off as Bigger is better. NOT.

I will say this, I do wish that the Queen would smile more. The scowlling(sp), makes her look angry.

I though that the James Bond / Queen's skit was cute/funny. However, Pissed off that I am about the US's uniforms being made outside of the country(btw, this should be RL last time in charge Olympic uniforms)once again sending jobs away that should have been done here. Anywhoooo, I am sorry but Team GB, What were they thinking. Awful, just awful. Hell, they did not even have their country's colors on. The uniforms looked like second rate space suits from Nassa. Who made their uniforms( I know that it has the be a big designer who got that job)

Both the US & GB designers kicked the pooch on this one. 1 on where the uniforms were made & the other on the look of the uniform.

No Gold medals on this one.

P.S. On the OC, Love Ali. He was & is great however, he shouldn't have been there. His health has been getting worse over the years. I am sure that it only puts more stress on his fragil body. Also, I did not understand his part in the ceremony period( he isn't british)
Old 07-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Gentry

Stella McCartney designed the GB uniforms
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000 View Post
P.S. On the OC, Love Ali. He was & is great however, he shouldn't have been there. His health has been getting worse over the years. I am sure that it only puts more stress on his fragil body. Also, I did not understand his part in the ceremony period( he isn't british)
I thought it was quite touching that they included Ali in the carrying and raising of the Olympic flag. All of the flag bearers of the Olympic flag were chosen because of their contribution to the betterment of humanity. The bearers symbolically passed the flag to Ali and from there to the flag raisers.

Why Ali? Other than being "the greatest"? It had to do with his contribution to humanity in the field of sports. He was in London actually for the inauguration of the Generation Ali Beyond Sport Award held July 24th with David Beckham.

--"David Beckham and Muhammad Ali took to the stage together at the Beyond Sport Summit in London on Tuesday 24th July to present the inaugural Generation Ali Beyond Sport Award. The boxing legend and the former England captain presented the award, which recognises Service, Leadership, and Action in the community, to Matiullah Haidar."

Beyond Sport

It must have taken Ali a very great deal of energy and stamina to accomplish what he'd done in London over the past week or so but he definitely presents a clear idea on how much the human spirit can accomplish when it really wants to and doesn't give up.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000
However, Pissed off that I am about the US's uniforms being made outside of the country(btw, this should be RL last time in charge Olympic uniforms)once again sending jobs away that should have been done here. Anywhoooo, I am sorry but Team GB, What were they thinking. Awful, just awful. Hell, they did not even have their country's colors on. The uniforms looked like second rate space suits from Nassa. Who made their uniforms( I know that it has the be a big designer who got that job)

Both the US & GB designers kicked the pooch on this one. 1 on where the uniforms were made & the other on the look of the uniform.

No Gold medals on this one.
The US is probably the only Olympic team that is funded thru individual donations (like mine) instead of government funds. If the USOC can get cheaper uniforms made in China, I'm fine with it because it means more of my money is left to go to the athletes, training, travel, etc. If you don't like that our uniforms are made in China, I (respectfully) challenge you to put your money where your mouth is and donate to the USOC. The more money they have available to them, the more they can spend on pricier US-made uniforms. How do you plan or budget for something when your budget is completely dependant on donations, and times are tough for donors?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I thought that I heard that she was doing them. Ok I will give her a pass on this one. She is usually very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
The US is probably the only Olympic team that is funded thru individual donations (like mine) instead of government funds. If the USOC can get cheaper uniforms made in China, I'm fine with it because it means more of my money is left to go to the athletes, training, travel, etc. If you don't like that our uniforms are made in China, I (respectfully) challenge you to put your money where your mouth is and donate to the USOC. The more money they have available to them, the more they can spend on pricier US-made uniforms. How do you plan or budget for something when your budget is completely dependant on donations, and times are tough for donors?
Don't try to pop off on me. There were pissed off people through the country that werent happy. Even the designer apologiezd for this screwup. BTW, I do donate. Both Winter & Summer games, Pipe/Smoke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I thought it was quite touching that they included Ali in the carrying and raising of the Olympic flag. All of the flag bearers of the Olympic flag were chosen because of their contribution to the betterment of humanity. The bearers symbolically passed the flag to Ali and from there to the flag raisers.

Why Ali? Other than being "the greatest"? It had to do with his contribution to humanity in the field of sports. He was in London actually for the inauguration of the Generation Ali Beyond Sport Award held July 24th with David Beckham.

--"David Beckham and Muhammad Ali took to the stage together at the Beyond Sport Summit in London on Tuesday 24th July to present the inaugural Generation Ali Beyond Sport Award. The boxing legend and the former England captain presented the award, which recognises Service, Leadership, and Action in the community, to Matiullah Haidar."

Beyond Sport

It must have taken Ali a very great deal of energy and stamina to accomplish what he'd done in London over the past week or so but he definitely presents a clear idea on how much the human spirit can accomplish when it really wants to and doesn't give up.
I totally argee with what you are saying. Ali is beyond the sport there are very few people that reach that level. My only real worry is his health. If wife practially had to hold him up. I love the guy always have.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000 View Post
I totally argee with what you are saying. Ali is beyond the sport there are very few people that reach that level. My only real worry is his health. If wife practially had to hold him up. I love the guy always have.
I think Ali is the type of man that wants to grab as much out of life as he can and wouldn't take to being infirm and coddled very well. He's a fighter and will draw his last breath as a fighter. In a way he reminds me of a Duke that we all know and love so well.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Las personalidades de la inauguración de los Juegos Olímpicos - Vanitatis
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
on E!Online it was mentioned that Stella McCartney immediately during the ceremony twittered that she made all teamGB outfits except this one :-)
(I think this one was from Next?)
Old 07-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Serene Highness

I'm still not over the gold armpits.....

LaRae
Old 07-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
She did not design the garish white and gold tracksuit worn on Friday, that was done by Next.