The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
That's the patriotic spirit for you!
I do like a good fireworks show I must admit, and we do it quite well when the need arises.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Only thing we're good at, fireworks.
Do you really have to be so negative? Quite clearly, fireworks is not the only thing we're good at. I don't know why you feel the need to do our country down all the time.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I liked the ceremony
Old 07-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm View Post
For those who are interested on The Queen's entrance, more details here:
Queen parachutes into Olympics with James Bond in acting debut - Telegraph
excerpts...

The scene was devised by Danny Boyle in the summer of 2011, and while Buckingham Palace quickly agreed to take part it took far longer for the Queen and Craig to find a gap in their schedules.

The film was eventually shot on March 27, as the Queen prepared for her Diamond Jubilee celebrations and Craig was working on the next James Bond film.The three hour film shoot involved more than 130 people and was directed by Boyle himself.

According to Nicholas Brown, the BBC's director of Drama Production, she gave a flawless performance. "She got it in one take. That's what she does, and she does it very well. She is a professional."It was extraordinary to have the two [The Queen and Daniel Craig] together with the corgis and the schoolchildren. The Palace was terrific about the shoot and we were delighted and honoured that the Queen was involved."
Old 07-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Courtier

Was well done overall. Now all I want to see at the closing ceremonies is the gigantic Maple Leaf smuggled in like they use to do and I'll be happy! LOL
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Do you really have to be so negative? Quite clearly, fireworks is not the only thing we're good at. I don't know why you feel the need to do our country down all the time.
Well in my opinion, this evening fireworks are the only thing they've been good at. If you do not like my opinion on this, I suggest you ignore it. However that will not stop me from voicing what I think.

Your country is not going to fall because I speak my mind.
Heir Apparent

over now finally now to prep for tomorrow mornings first events yay soo exciting!
Heir Presumptive

I am so annoyed that NBC decided not to air the Olympics live...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
Not Paul sodding McCartney again?! #olympicceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2012 View Post
oh no...him again
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

My two cents about the ceremony.

- I expected that idyllic British greenery to last a little longer. It was beautiful, interesting, and very British (at least, as Britain is seen abroad).
- World Wars and July 7 parts were poignant and touching.
- The Queen part, and Mr Bean bits were nothing short of brilliant.
- The fireworks were magnificent.
- THe cauldron bit was absolutely amazing; I loved how those petals (each symbolising a country) came together (symbolizing unity) - really clever and in Olympic spirit.

- The music part I disliked, despite most of the songs being my favourites.
- The industrial revolution and British history parts were interesting, but too many things were going on: those who do not have in-depth knowledge of British history would find it hard to follow.

Overall, pretty good.
The only downside for me is the impression the organisers bring together too many things, ideas, stories.

GOOD JOB, LONDON!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
I am so annoyed that NBC decided not to air the Olympics live...
I agree... But I watched on line and will record and watch again tonight....FFing through the stuff I dont need to re-watch:). I just heard this afternoon that Ryan Seacrest is the commentator for USA/ NBC coverage... Not pleased.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Courtier

The only thing I am not looking forward with the games is that annoying song that they played on CTV all the time during Vancouver 2010 coverage! Blerg!!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Nobility

Nice talking to all of you. Going to bed now - it's 8am here in Singapore. For any British out there, well done!! I totally enjoy the ceremony especially the starting segment, the Queen (& Corgis) segment and the light up of the Olympic Flame. I am a Chinese from South East Asia and I just want to say I truly enjoy the programme and felt that staying up throughout the night is all worthwhile!! :)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
I agree... But I watched on line and will record and watch again tonight....FFing through the stuff I dont need to re-watch:). I just heard this afternoon that Ryan Seacrest is the commentator for USA/ NBC coverage... Not pleased.
Well the rebroadcast is beginning. I hope its spectacular!!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Majesty

Well I enjoyed every minute of it.

It was exactly what was needed after the extravagence of Beijing - a return to simplicity and telling the world what the country hosting the games has done that has been great. Well done London - an enjoyable show.

Loved the UK uniforms, the US looked like they belonged on hostesses on planes, the Australians uniforms looked ok but the athletes as usual showed that they have no dignity with their photo taking etc - all about 'look at me' moments from them - encouraged by the officials.

Loved the bit with the Queen's entrance, even if we have known for weeks if not months that something like that was happening following leaks of The Queen parachuting.

Loved the lighting of the cauldron - the past, present and future all there together.

Surprised that no one seemed to see any significance in the hill - but maybe even the designers didn't realise that they were building a structure designed by the ancient Britons (it resembled an ancient hill fort - pre-dating the Roman invasion).

Really enjoyed seeing Bradley Wiggins get things started after his heroics last week - now he needs a really late night so that tomorrow Cadel Evans etc can win the gold.

Overall - London - I actually enjoyed an Opening Ceremony for the first time since probably 1972 - when again a couple of young athletes lit the cauldron.

Nice touch that the different nations will be taking home their 'petal' from the cauldron.

As someone who doesn't usually watch these things straight through - usually get so bored after about 10 minutes that I go to bed - I was spellbound throughout.

Rogge's speech 'In a sense the Olympics Games are coming home tonight.' He goes on to say 'This great sports loving country is widely recognised as the birthplace of modern sport'. Those words 'in a sense' and then 'modern' in there are important as he is saying that the ideas of sport we have today starting in Britain with the rules of sportsmanship, fair play, the rules of many of the sports and the importance of sport in the educational curriculum all started in Britain. He is correct in that as it was a Brit and a Frenchmen who got the modern Olympics up and running after nearly 2000 years. They used an ancient idea but they used modern concepts as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm proud and it was great. The usual suspects in here Are negative so they are, as usual, boring and negative.

I loved it and so did my other half. Got all the jokes, understood the history (if you didn't, happy to explain), thought it covered our heritage v well. Couldn't cover 2000 years in the time available but it worked for me.

Go with it. It had p'zazz. LOVED IT

The cauldron was so so good. The games motto is about the future and getting young athletes, sponsored by successful olympians to light the flames is absolutely in the olympic spirit. Each country had a copper Bowl which came together to form the Olympic cauldron. How great is that? It was brilliant and all encompassing and I am So so proud.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
. . . but the athletes as usual showed that they have no dignity with their photo taking etc

No dignity? Prudish exaggeration is hardly necessary.

It looked to me like an occasion of immense jubilation, pride and anticipation. Good on those Olympian's who sought to capture the moment as it happened for some will not have that opportunity again.

There is no one who can justly deprive them of that!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

The problem with the countryside at the start was that the whole stage had to be basically dismantled. Other than taking a break for half an hour to take all the animals, the grass, the house etc. etc. off the stage, the only way they could do it was to make it part of the theme of the industrial revolution taking over the country, which let's face it changed the world forever.

I was glad the music was such a central part, I personally think British music is the best in the world. I could've done without the NHS bit, and also the Great Ormond Street Hospital part - there are lots of great hospitals in the UK.

It was pretty uniquely British. Beijing was about power and showing off in a way, announcing their place on the world stage. But, Britain's in a very different place. The world knows a lot about our culture, and so we had to do something different. Where it worked best IMO is with the humour. The Queen's role with James Bond was the bit that went down best in my house, and I had a load of friends texting me saying 'did you see that?!' after that bit.

The cauldron was great, the volunteers are magnificent, loved the fireworks. The theme of these Games right from the start has been 'Inspire a Generation', which is why young athletes were chosen to light the flame.

It may not have been the best opening ceremony ever, but it was a genuine and sincere portrayal of the British character I think - funny, quirky and self-deprecating.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

The stadium is so cool. Its amazing how they made it look like a meadow. Right now the NBC broadcast is showing the Industrial Revolution..
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Courtier

The best bits were Mr. Bean(!!!!!!!!!) and the bit with HM and Bond, James Bond! Those were brilliant!!

Oh, and the bit at the beginning with Jerusalem and Danny Boy was lovely!!