The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Cool lighting!!

Gentry

ahhh..ingenius!

Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Cauldron will be lit by children? Future athletes, are you actually joking?

Petals make up the cauldron, which looks like a clock.
I'm disappointed, I would have wanted some great British athlete to have the honour.
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

That really was very beautiful.
The way those petals came together... Stunning!

I actually liked the idea of transfer of legacy from established legends to athletes who have yet to prove themselves.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Only thing we're good at, fireworks.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I liked the Australian informs as well. Very sporting.

The blazers have the names of 131 Olympic champions stitched in gold on the inner lining which is a nice tribute I thought.

The Dunlop volley's suited the ensemble.
I happen to love a combination of the green and white colours. The green and white colours represent a eternal hope. Teams from the African continent got points for incorporating national elements into uniforms (e.g., Rwanda).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Of course it was. China is an authoritarian regime, where spending $200 million on a show is an option, because they have no independent press or political opposition to question their actions. They were also able to produce 20,000 'volunteers' who followed orders in the way the Chinese have to.

London has never set out to be better than Beijing, just different to Beijing, which they clearly managed.
The never ending "China is the authoritarian regime" is becoming stale. The Chinese authorities, like any Asian government, did their best in 2008 to host the Games. That is all.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
There is no reason to denounce the announcement though. You can't misinterpret what is now public knowledge because it doesn't necessarily suit your prerogative to have formed a contrary opinion.

Yes it should have been done right the first time, on that I will agree, but the situation was recitified. Working in the field of fashion myself, I know first hand that when such a commission is cancelled and made known publically, then it has come through the appropriate channels, both at a government and industry level. A point was being made.
The 2014 Olympic uniforms, also to be designed by Ralph Lauren, will be made in the US. That was the announcement. The current uniforms being worn in London right now were made in China.

"With athletes having already arrived in London, and the apparel distribution process beginning this weekend, we are unfortunately not able to make a change for London," USOC CEO Scott Blackmun said in a statement.
For 2014 Olympics, Team USA uniforms to be made in the United States

It's not Ralph Lauren that I'm upset with but US taxes and regulations that have caused the company to manufacture elsewhere. I have the utmost respect for RL, so please don't assume I'm making a contrary remark for the sake of making it.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Ahhh...so that was what was being carried in during the parade of nations beaide the country names!! Brilliant!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Gentry

oh no...him again
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Hey Jude...
The biggest surprise of the night.
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
Elizabeth Windsor@Queen_UK
OK, I think we're done aren't we? Do we need to drag this out?
I think the best tweets are from 'the Queen' like the one above, closely beating out 'Charles'
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine2012
oh no...him again
It's kinda law, non? Big UK event must have Sir Paul?? LOL

I don't mind, it's all good!! :)
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
No, Britain invented most of the most popular sports in the world - Football, Cricket, Baseball, Tennis, Table Tennis, Rugby, Rounders, Snooker, Cycling, Billiards, some forms of rowing and sailing, Darts, Golf, Modern Boxing, Badminton, Squash, Polo, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Bowls, Curling, Ten Pin Bowling, Modern Motor Racing, Modern Pentatlon, Eventing/Horse Trials among many, many others.

The idea of the Olympic Games was invented in Greece, but not many of the sports themselves.
Ya I mean the ancient Olympic games had sports such as running boxing and wrestling. Maybe he meant modern sports in general but I didn't appreaciate the fact he said the games are home or something to that affect.The home of the Olympics is Greece, period without us there would be nothing. Hence why we go first in Parade of Nations.
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth Windsor@Queen_UK
You may not have seen it, but these fireworks were started by Camilla throwing an Olympic cigarette into a special box. #olympicceremony
Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I waited three and a half hours for the cauldron to be lit by children? Biggest anti climax ever.

A british athlete, even Sir Steve Redgrave should have had the honour of lighting that cauldron. That was total BS "passing the flame on", London's year and we missed out in a huge way.
The ceremony has been rushed, patched together and for me showed nothing of the true Olympics I have come to enjoy. The speeches and the athletes parade were the best part for me. What a true shame.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Only thing we're good at, fireworks.
Quote:
I waited three and a half hours for the cauldron to be lit by children? Biggest anti climax ever.
That's the patriotic spirit for you!

I actually thought the music was far better prior to the generational time travel segment. And I find Paul McCartney crazily overrated, no matter his career success. Surely a nice British patriotic hymn like I Vowe To The My Country would have been a welcome addition to the line up. Something purely British and totally unadulterated in it's creative origin.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Nobility

I love the idea too since it is not easy to choose 1 person which will satisfy the rest, why not try it differently. I like how the smaller flames come together to become the main Olympic flame - it symbolize teamwork, united and a common goal!!!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well done!!! Great to see the next generation of Olympians lighting the Olympic Cauldron!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

A british athlete, even Sir Steve Redgrave should have had the honour of lighting that cauldron. That was total BS "passing the flame on", London's year and we missed out in a huge way.
The ceremony has been rushed, patched together and for me showed nothing of the true Olympics I have come to enjoy. The speeches and the athletes parade were the best part for me. What a true shame.
I totally agree with you, this opening ceremony was full of disappointments for me. This was a wonderful possibility to stun the whole world, but it failed.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK
You may not have seen it, but these fireworks were started by Camilla throwing an Olympic cigarette into a special box. #olympicceremony
LOL. I can't wait to see it all tonight!!!