The Closing Ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, what a show and what a great ending to some amazing Olympic Games. My three definite favourite acts from tonight were Spice Girls (well, I was born in the 90's and obviously I went through that obligatory Spice-phase, so it was real big seeing them), Eric Idle (Eric has always been one of my favourites out of Monty Python and how can you not love Always Look on the Bright Side of Life) and George Michael (only a bit sad that he didn't sing "Faith").
The stageshow in the beginning was also really phenomenal and very exciting, you almost couldn't take everything in and I'm sure I missed half of what was going on.

Confusing and weird closing cermony - there were awful lows ... Spice Girls, opening squence (bar Emile Sande), George Michael, fashion section, pet shop boys

But also highs ... Take That, Darcey Bussell, Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz, Queen

Moment of the night - Eric Idle "always look on the bright side of life"

Anyone else surprised that a more senior member of the BRF wasn't present to represent HM? I know Charles and Camilla are in Scotland, as is the Queen and DoE, but it seemed odd that Harry was the one there for the special entrance etc.

Maybe this is another one of those moments pointing to the future direction of the RF?

Watching the Closing Ceremony now. Harry looks so very serious and "grown up". :)

Anyone else surprised that a more senior member of the BRF wasn't present to represent HM? I know Charles and Camilla are in Scotland, as is the Queen and DoE, but it seemed odd that Harry was the one there for the special entrance etc.

Maybe this is another one of those moments pointing to the future direction of the RF?

Anne's a senior royal and she's there.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that Harry was the one representing the Queen. I thought maybe Anne would have been the one to stand in.

I really enjoyed the closing ceremony. The music was great and it created such a fun atmosphere. London definitely should be proud of the job they've done hosting this year's games.

Anne's a senior royal and she's there.

Yes, but she didn't represent the Queen. Harry was introduced to the crowd, and entered the stadium specially with Jacques Rogge, as the representative of HM The Queen. Clearly, Harry was specifically chosen for the role.

Hmmm more indication the younger royals are going to be used alot more....

LaRae

EIIR said:
Yes, but she didn't represent the Queen. Harry was introduced to the crowd, and entered the stadium specially with Jacques Rogge, as the representative of HM The Queen. Clearly, Harry was specifically chosen for the role.

I also heard William was away at work. The Duchess of Cambridge was with Harry as well. Anne had the job of Mom of a Olympian.

Harry is the third in line to the throne, and that makes him a senior member of the BRF, even if he isn't senior when it comes to age.

Anne had the job of Mom of a Olympian.
I would say that Anne was there because she's a British representative of the International Olympic Committee and as member of the London Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games, and that is probably why she wasn't chosen to represent the Queen.

It was great to see Harry get such a high-profile role for a big event. I'm glad he was given the opportunity!

Last edited:
Watched the show twice with a friend. We loved e-ve-ry-thing, watched it with open minds, were amazed, surprised, danced a bit too, couldn't believe all we saw. Conclusion: what a great job London did and what a great nation.

I thoroughly enjoyed these closing ceremonies. Congratulations to the organizers, performers, volunteers, everyone connected. You can always rely on the British to do these things well

All the ceremonies, especially the intro, made a great impression on me, at a moment I thought that had never been such an unique ceremony before.

I was thrilled to see Harry there. He's growing wonderfully well into his role of senior royal. The guy seems cut for this job.

i can see him picking up the Olympic mantle in the future working with Anne

For those members who enjoyed hearing the 2012 version of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill", here's a YouTube recording.

This version is now called "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) 2012 Remix".

It is a remake/remix which was specially done and planned well in advance for the pyramid-building segment of the Closing Ceremony.

Kate Bush recorded new vocals earlier in the year and the track has been remixed for a large stadium atmosphere and acoustics. It's in a slightly different key, the drum and guitar sounds have been altered, it has different compression and is slightly slower than the original. At the Closing Ceremony the track was accompanied by live drummers (see the second clip).
Still a beautiful and evocative piece of music, just as the original was in 1985.
Turn up the volume and enjoy. :)

Kate Bush Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) 2012 Remix - YouTube

The next clip is the full package - The pyramid-building segment of the Closing Ceremony accompanied by "Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) 2012 Remix".
It's in HD and although there is some BBC commentator overlay, it's not too distracting. I believe this segment was cut from the initial US network TV broadcast so it may be the first time some members have seen it.
It's good. :)

Closing Ceremony - Running Up That Hill - London 2012 Olympic Games Highlights - YouTube

thank you so much! I saw the BBC stream but was so upset that NBC cut it (among many other things).

this was one of my fav parts of the ceremony

Back
Top Bottom