The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Administrator

The British Royal Family & the 2012 London Olympics

Welcome to the thread to discuss the
British Royal Family and the London 2012 Olympic Games

As we head into 2012, various members of the Royal Family will be participating in events to celebrate, publicize and promote
the 2012 Summer Olympics, to be held in London from 27 July to 12 August.
The Paralympics will follow, from 29 August to 9 September.

Please keep in mind these simple TRF rules:

· To ensure the Forums complies with copyright law, there are two points to note:
1. no more than 20% of the text of an article should be posted, along with a link to the original article.

2. Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.

· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons discussed in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be supported or backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please avoid making posts in all-capital letters or all-bold or multi-coloured typeface.

Enjoy the Forums and Happy Posting!

Warren, wbenson & Zonk
British Forum Moderators

Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry made official ambassadors to Olympics

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry have become official ambassadors for Team GB and ParalympicsGB in the run-up to and during the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, St James's Palace said today.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry made official ambassadors to Olympics - Telegraph

Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I thought patronages were supposed to have something to do with the patron? I understand the link between Princess Anne and the Olympics, but not for these three. Seems a little "oh we need to give them something to do" if you get me.
The Olympics will be over in a year, why not give them something longer lasting as a patronage.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Royal Highness

They are probably chosen because they're young and like sport (polo and hockey on grass-Kate) + they're popular. But indeed P Anne has more connection with Olympics I think. Zara too, but she probably will be in a Olympic team so she won't have time to be 'a patron'.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Majesty

The press release from the Prince of Wales's site regarding the Cambridges' and Harry's involvement in the upcoming Olympic Games.

The Prince of Wales - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry become official Team GB and Paralympics GB 2012 Ambassadors

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

They are young and popular and will attract a lot more attention to the cause than their aunt would, besides Anne is already heavily involved as President of British Olympic Assoc and an IOC member as well as her involvement with the London organizing committee.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^I agree, due to their "star power," I'm sure they'll attract more attention than the older generation royals.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

They will perhaps attract attention to whatever events they attending, which I personally don't think will have anything to do with the actual games, more like posing for pictures with the athletes, pre games parties/dinners etc. They'll be, I imagine, very little professional pictures taken of the couple and Harry should they choose to attend any actual events.
Therefore they're not actual attracting any real publicity, unless people for some odd reason choose to watch the entire olympics for a glimpse of Catherine, William and Harry.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Serene Highness

Kate seems to be very into sports, to me. More than most women, anyway. And Prince William is definitely the athletic sort (the all-round athlete). At any rate, it seems like a natural link to me - and when it's over, they'll both have more experience doing this kind of thing together and ready to branch out.

It does make me wonder, though, if airfare increases (etc) and the incredible cost of UK hotels is keeping people away - and this is designed to bring people in. We're thinking of a trip to London next summer, but are hoping to plan it on the first weekend of June instead of during the Olympics - maybe we're not alone. The Queen and her doings are still far more interesting to me than the sports (but if Prince William was going to be there...well, probably still too expensive for us).
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Just because he's a patron does not mean he's actually going to attend any of the events, it's highly likely of course because as you say he's interested in certain sports. But i'm guessing his work as with Harry will come first before popping to the olympics for a 'day out'. It's a lot of money to spend just to see William, IMO. I'm just going to watch it on telly with a good old cup of tea
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Courtier

So far as I know, most of the Olympic tickets have now sold out, and so I don't think that Royal patrons can really 'attract' people to the games in the sense that it would encourage people to visit [buy tickets] at this stage in the proceedings.

Slightly OT, but if you do visit the UK, Princess, I think that June and May would be much better months, particularly if you want to 'see some royals'. My best tips for 'royal sightings' is The Royal Windsor Horse Show; modest prices for entrance and lots of opportunity to see the Queen and Prince Philip and usually Edward and Sophie and their children very informally and up close. I took an American friend to the show a couple of years ago: on the first day the Queen walked by about 3 feet from us, looking at all the stalls. [there are masses of stalls at Royal Windsor - it is like a large market full of country-themed goods]. My friend - until that point not an ardent royalist - truthfully was overwhelmed. Apparently the Secret Service would prevent ordinary mortals coming within several hundred yards of the President, and anyway, there are almost NIL informal Presidential appearances....

Why don't you look for a cheap flight in May, base yourself at one of the budget hotels near Windsor [there are a good few cheap hotels, as it is close to Heathrow airport] and you can 'do' the Royal Windsor Horse Show [and watch the evening performance of the special Diamond Jubilee Pageant] and also visit London, which can be accessed easily by train......?

Alex
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
They will perhaps attract attention to whatever events they attending, which I personally don't think will have anything to do with the actual games, more like posing for pictures with the athletes, pre games parties/dinners etc. They'll be, I imagine, very little professional pictures taken of the couple and Harry should they choose to attend any actual events.
Isnt that rather the point of the 27 Ambassadors....to raise awareness and get young people to support Team GB and individual athletes, to create a legacy to encourage future Olympians and ParaOlympians. There are a lot of sports and individual athletes who receive little to no attention even in Olympic years so if William, Catherine and Harry along with the other Ambassadors can assist then I am all for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well I presume there were ambassadors for previous games and the only athletes names I remember are Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. Less than a year away from the Olympics and the only thing the 'young people' know about the games are that they're here and the various stadiums are behind on building, well at least that's what I know as a young person obviously people in the 'sports know how' will know more. I'm all for promoting the Olympics, but honestly what's most likely going to be talked about when Catherine attends an Olympic event will be her outfit and if she's with child or not.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well I presume there were ambassadors for previous games and the only athletes names I remember are Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt. .
Not sure that there were British Ambassadors before but perhaps not since the UK hasn't hosted since 1948, but you pretty much prove the need for high profile British Ambassadors to promote Team GB and its athletes since the athletes you name are not British.
Anything to promote participation in sports in the UK (beyond soccer, rugby, cricket) and fitness in general I think should be applauded although I think it should have been implemented at least as early as when London was awarded the games better late than never.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Seems a little "oh we need to give them something to do"...
Therefore they're not actual attracting any real publicity...
It's a lot of money to spend just to see William...
I'm all for promoting the Olympics, but honestly...
...I'm just going to watch it on telly...
Jeez, the overwhelming (and repetitive) negativity makes depressing reading. We had to put up with much the same in the leadup to the Sydney Olympics in 2000. While the naysayers vowed to (and many did) "leave town for the duration", the rest of us enjoyed the most wonderful experience and an atmosphere within the city that was something special and "once in a lifetime".

As to the Royal Family's involvement, I would imagine most members will at some stage be doing their bit to publicise and promote the London Olympics over the next seven or eight months. To get specific with an example of the royal's positive involvement, it has been announced that the Cambridges and Harry "will represent Team GB and Paralympics GB". The British Paralympic Association's chief executive was quoted as saying "we want to use this opportunity to raise the profile of Paralympic sport in this country and ensure that the nation takes British Paralympians to their hearts. We're sure that the presence of their Royal Highnesses will help us achieve this goal and it will give the athletes a tremendous lift to know that they are going to be supporting them." Now, that's being positive.

While it's fine to watch it on telly, I'd suggest you consider venturing outside and at least watch part of the Marathon. You can then say you've participated.

But if you want to be really awed and inspired, get out and loudly cheer on the Paralympian Marathon participants as they go by. Now that's special. Anyone who's witnessed it up close will know exactly what I mean.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
While it's fine to watch it on telly, I'd suggest you consider venturing outside and at least watch part of the Marathon. You can then say you've participated.

But if you want to be really awed and inspired, get out and loudly cheer on the Paralympian Marathon participants as they go by. Now that's special. Anyone who's witnessed it up close will know exactly what I mean.
I'll have to take part in a marathon to go see it i'm that far away But some of the local football stadiums are hosting certain countries teams or hosting matches, I may look into popping to see them.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Courtier

I think one of the unofficial goals of any Olympic games is to promote the host country, a chance for the nation to shine a spotlight on itself and "show off" what makes it unique. Right about now, IMO, if you asked a thousand people from around the world the first thing that comes to mind when they think of the UK, I would bet a strong majority of them would say either "the Queen" or "Prince William and Kate Middleton." I, personally, would have been surprised if they hadn't found a prominent role for the Duke and Duchess, and I anticipate that they'll both be very visible during the games.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Serene Highness

Great that the first Royals to be named as "Ambassadors" for the Team and Olympics are William, Kate and Harry. Perfect for both events. Not only are they young, but w/William and Harry's knowledge and support of the various Veteran sporting events, they're beyond perfect to be Ambassadors for the Paralympics especially.

Can't wait for the Games and to cheer on Team Canada from my living room I'm sad to say. Would love to go to one of the Games one of these days.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Nobility

As someone who lives in an Olympic city, I can tell you there is much more to the Olympics than the Games themselves.

They are a tremendous way to tap into the spirit of a city. There is also a cultural component to the Games.

I see the young royals cheering on Team UK, thanking volunteers, etc.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Majesty

As the future King of Australia is he also going to serve as Ambassador for the Australian Olympic team? Is any member of the royal family going to support the other realms or are they all going to support the UK - and then wonder why there are movements in the other realms that see them as irrelevant.