The British Royal Family & the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would imagine that you're correct, sine the Jubilee Concert finished around 10:30, and Louise wasn't present for that event. I can certainly understand, since she's still a bit on the young side to be staying up until midnight, especially at such a huge event.

I hope one of the reasons we dont see Edward and Sophie listed officially attending many events is that they will get to attend as parents with their children and sharing the games with them rather than having to meet dignitaries etc. this is a great opportunity for them - especially Louise - she is at a great age for the equestrian, gymnastics etc.

Harry’s date at the beach volleyball: Prince, William and Kate will go to more than 30 different Olympic events
When the call came asking for a member of the Royal Family to oversee the Beach Volleyball this summer, it wasn’t the most challenging piece of casting. And happily Prince Harry declared that he was, indeed, the man for the job. St James’s Palace confirmed yesterday that the 27-year-old playboy prince would attend the Olympic event at Horseguards Parade on Wednesday August 8. Harry, his brother, Prince William, and his wife, the Duchess of Cambridge, are to attend more than 30 events, both together and separately, on behalf of the Royal Family in their roles as Official Ambassadors for Team GB.

I hope one of the reasons we dont see Edward and Sophie listed officially attending many events is that they will get to attend as parents with their children and sharing the games with them rather than having to meet dignitaries etc. this is a great opportunity for them - especially Louise - she is at a great age for the equestrian, gymnastics etc.

You're definitely correct; if they're listed officially, then they really can't bring their children (or they'd need to bring a nanny to sit with them, while anything formal was going on). I think Louise would really enjoy going to the Games, especially the equestrian events, since she loves to ride, and has her own horse. Gymnastics would be a lot of fun for her too. I remember when I was her age, I loved playing 'gymnasts' with my friends at school (of course growing up in USSR, almost every girl wanted to be either a gymnast or a figure skater at some point in her childhood).

Wow! That's some agenda! They'll need a nice, long breather after this is through. The Jubilee Weekend looked like child's play compared to the next two weeks. I'm sure they'll enjoy every minute of it though, since all three are such huge sports fans.

Normally I'd just do this for myself but can someone break down the times for each event that William Kate and Harry are attending. Ctv's schedule is really confusing me right now.

Normally I'd just do this for myself but can someone break down the times for each event that William Kate and Harry are attending. Ctv's schedule is really confusing me right now.

Here is the schedule from DM:

Friday, 27th July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend a reception at Buckingham Palace, hosted by The Queen, with other Members of the Royal Family for Heads of State and Government attending the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Olympic Opening Ceremony at the Olympic Park.

Saturday, 28th July or Sunday 29th July
- The Duke of Cambridge will attend the Equestrian Events at Greenwich – The Duke will attend EITHER this event or on Sunday 29th but not both.

Sunday, 29th July
- The Duke of Cambridge will attend the Football to watch Team GB at Wembley.

Monday, 30th July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Events at Greenwich.
- Prince Harry will attend the 10m Diving at the Olympic Park.
- Prince Harry and Prince William will visit Team GB House.
- The Duke of Cambridge will visit Team GB House – a small Pool will be in place.
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the UK’s Creative Industries Reception in the evening at The Royal Academy of Arts.

Tuesday, 31st July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Equestrian Events, to include the awarding of medals at Greenwich.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will visit the Athletes’ Village at the Olympic Park.

Thursday, 2nd August
- Prince Harry, President of The School Games, will attend a reception for the School Games medal winners in the morning at Clarence House.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Tennis at Wimbledon.

Friday, 3rd August
- The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Dressage at Greenwich.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Swimming at the Olympic Park).

Saturday, 4th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Hockey at the Olympic Park.

Sunday, 5th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Gymnastics at the Olympic Park.
- The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Team GB House.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Athletics at the Olympic Park.

Monday, 6th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Sailing at Weymouth.

Wednesday, 8th August
- Prince Harry will attend the Beach Volleyball at Horseguards Parade.

Thursday, 9th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Synchronised Swimming at the Olympic Park.
- Prince Harry will visit Team GB House
- Prince Harry will attend the Athletics at the Olympic Park.

Friday, 10th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend women’s Hockey sessions (if Team GB qualifies).

Saturday 11th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Men’s 10m Diving at the Olympic Park.

Sunday 12th August

- The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Olympic Closing Ceremony at the Olympic Park.

Thanks Artemisia, anyone know the airing times? Looks like CTV won't be airing all the events like CBC used to it's being chopped between 10 different networks.

I've used Artemisia's (hope you don't mind) list to compile start times for each event to be attended by Will, Kate and Harry

These times are for the start of each event. That doesn't mean this is the time the royals will arrive at the event, so bear that in mind. All times courtesy of http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/

Friday, 27th July

- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend a reception at Buckingham Palace, hosted by The Queen, with other Members of the Royal Family for Heads of State and Government attending the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Olympic Opening Ceremony at the Olympic Park. 21:00 BST, 16:00 EST, 13:00 PST

- The Duke of Cambridge will attend the Equestrian Events at Greenwich – The Duke will attend EITHER this event or on Sunday 29th but not both. ON BOTH DAYS THE EVENTS BEGIN AT 10:00 BST, 05:00 EST, 02:00 PST

Sunday, 29th July
- The Duke of Cambridge will attend the Football to watch Team GB at Wembley. KICK OFF - 19:45 BST, 14:45 EST, 11:45 PST

Monday, 30th July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Events at Greenwich. 12:30 BST, 07:30 EST, 04:30 PST
- Prince Harry will attend the 10m Diving at the Olympic Park. 15:00 BST, 10:00 EST, 07:00 PST
- The Duke of Cambridge will visit Team GB House – a small Pool will be in place.
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the UK’s Creative Industries Reception in the evening at The Royal Academy of Arts.

Tuesday, 31st July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Equestrian Events, to include the awarding of medals at Greenwich. 10:30 BST, 05:30 EST, 02:30 PST
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will visit the Athletes’ Village at the Olympic Park.

Thursday, 2nd August
- Prince Harry, President of The School Games, will attend a reception for the School Games medal winners in the morning at Clarence House.
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Tennis at Wimbledon. 11:30 BST, 06:30 EST, 03:30 PST

Friday, 3rd August
- The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Dressage at Greenwich. 11:00 BST, 06:00 EST, 03:00 PST
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Swimming at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 10:00 BST, 05:00 EST, 02:00 PST, RUNS ALL DAY WITH FINAL EVENT AT 20:09 BST, 15:09EST, 12:09 PST

Saturday, 4th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Hockey at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 08:30 BST, 03:30 EST, 00:30 PST, RUNS ALL DAY UNTIL 21:15 BST, TEAM GB MATCH AT 16:00 BST

Sunday, 5th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Gymnastics at the Olympic Park. 14:00 BST, 09:00 EST, 06:00 PST
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Athletics at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 11:00 BST, RUNS ALL DAY WITH 100M FINAL AT 21:50 BST, 16:50 EST, 13:50 PST

Monday, 6th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Sailing at Weymouth. 12:00 BST, 07:00 EST, 04:00 PST

Wednesday, 8th August
- Prince Harry will attend the Beach Volleyball at Horseguards Parade. 19:00 BST, 14:00 EST, 11:00 PST

Thursday, 9th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Synchronised Swimming at the Olympic Park. 15:00 BST, 10:00 EST, 07:00 PST
- Prince Harry will attend the Athletics at the Olympic Park. STARTS 09:00 BST, 04:00 EST, 01:00 PST AND RUNS ALL DAY UNTIL 21:20 BST, 16:20 EST, 13:20 PST

Friday, 10th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend women’s Hockey sessions (if Team GB qualifies). STARTS AT 08:30 BST, 03:30 EST, 00:30 PST WITH GOLD MEDAL MATCH AT 20:00 BST, 15:00 EST, 12:00 PST

Saturday 11th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Men’s 10m Diving at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 10:00 BST, 05:00 EST, 02:00 PST, RUNS ALL DAY WITH FINAL AT 20:30 BST, 15:30 EST, 12:30 PST

Sunday 12th August

- The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Olympic Closing Ceremony at the Olympic Park. TIMING TBA

Obviously, the royals aren't going to stay all day watching diving/athletics etc., I assume they'll probably arrive in time for finals etc. We don't have times for visits to Team GB House etc. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lists, Artemisia and EIIR.

No probs, soapstar/ghostnight.

Just to clarify, BST is British Summer Time (GMT+1). East coast US is BST-5, west coast is BST-8. Central European Time is BST+1.

I hope ghostnight has stocked up on coffee and Red Bull, or set her DVR. There'll be some late nights/early mornings for those on the Pacific coast over the next few weeks.

Thanks so much for your trouble, Artemisia and EIIR!!! Just can't wait!!!

Artemisia and EIIR, thank you so much for all the details. Looking forward to catching at least some of the events (if my Internet cooperates).

No probs, soapstar/ghostnight.

Just to clarify, BST is British Summer Time (GMT+1). East coast US is BST-5, west coast is BST-8. Central European Time is BST+1.

I hope ghostnight has stocked up on coffee and Red Bull, or set her DVR. There'll be some late nights/early mornings for those on the Pacific coast over the next few weeks.
I'm doing all of those starting tomorrow. Getting up and going to the grocery store first thing in the morning buying bags of chips and tons of energy drinks. Lord knows I'll need it! And of course I'll have my dvr set just incase I can't take it and fall asleep with the tv on like I did a few weeks back.:lol: I'm also planning on have least 2 cups of coffee the night before each event even though my doctor has told me to stay off caffeine oh well too bad for her not gonna listen to her for the next 2 weeks

I'll have a look at the programming set for Canadian/American tv and see how much I'll realistically be able to cover for you guys and let you know soon.

I think Canadian television will be going pretty much 24/7 with the Olympics as they tend to try and broadcast live as much as possible and then show highlights/replays in the evening. The American networks tend to broadcast more of an evening highlights package focusing more on the achievements of American athletes on the day.
I would not expect a lot of royal highlights unless you happen to catch glimpses of them in the stands. In most cases the sports commentators are unlikely to recognize the royals who will be at the games with the possible exception of William, Catherine and Harry.

I've used Artemisia's (hope you don't mind) list to compile start times for each event to be attended by Will, Kate and Harry

These times are for the start of each event. That doesn't mean this is the time the royals will arrive at the event, so bear that in mind. All times courtesy of http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/

Friday, 27th July

- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Olympic Opening Ceremony at the Olympic Park. 21:00 BST, 16:00 EST, 13:00 PST 6am

- The Duke of Cambridge will attend the Equestrian Events at Greenwich – The Duke will attend EITHER this event or on Sunday 29th but not both. ON BOTH DAYS THE EVENTS BEGIN AT 10:00 BST, 05:00 EST, 02:00 PST 7pm

Sunday, 29th July
- The Duke of Cambridge will attend the Football to watch Team GB at Wembley. KICK OFF - 19:45 BST, 14:45 EST, 11:45 PST 4.45am 30th July

[/COLOR]
Monday, 30th July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Events at Greenwich. 12:30 BST, 07:30 EST, 04:30 PST 9.30pm
- Prince Harry will attend the 10m Diving at the Olympic Park. 15:00 BST, 10:00 EST, 07:00 PST midnight between the 30th and 31st of July

Tuesday, 31st July
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Equestrian Events, to include the awarding of medals at Greenwich. 10:30 BST, 05:30 EST, 02:30 PST 7.30pm

Thursday, 2nd August
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Tennis at Wimbledon. 11:30 BST, 06:30 EST, 03:30 PST 8.30pm

Friday, 3rd August
- The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Dressage at Greenwich. 11:00 BST, 06:00 EST, 03:00 PST 8pm
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Swimming at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 10:00 BST, 05:00 EST, 02:00 PST, RUNS ALL DAY WITH FINAL EVENT AT 20:09 BST, 15:09EST, 12:09 PST 7pm 3rd Aug/5.09am 4th Aug

Saturday, 4th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Hockey at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 08:30 BST, 03:30 EST, 00:30 PST, RUNS ALL DAY UNTIL 21:15 BST, TEAM GB MATCH AT 16:00 BST 5.30pm 4th Aug-6.15am 5th Aug

Sunday, 5th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Gymnastics at the Olympic Park. 14:00 BST, 09:00 EST, 06:00 PST 11pm
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Athletics at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 11:00 BST, RUNS ALL DAY WITH 100M FINAL AT 21:50 BST, 16:50 EST, 13:50 PST 8pm 5th Aug-6.15am 6th Aug

Monday, 6th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Sailing at Weymouth. 12:00 BST, 07:00 EST, 04:00 PST 9pm

Wednesday, 8th August
- Prince Harry will attend the Beach Volleyball at Horseguards Parade. 19:00 BST, 14:00 EST, 11:00 PST
4am 9th Aug
Thursday, 9th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Synchronised Swimming at the Olympic Park. 15:00 BST, 10:00 EST, 07:00 PST midnight between the 9th and 10th Aug
- Prince Harry will attend the Athletics at the Olympic Park. STARTS 09:00 BST, 04:00 EST, 01:00 PST AND RUNS ALL DAY UNTIL 21:20 BST, 16:20 EST, 13:20 PST
6pm 9th Aug-6.20am 10th Aug
Friday, 10th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend women’s Hockey sessions (if Team GB qualifies). STARTS AT 08:30 BST, 03:30 EST, 00:30 PST WITH GOLD MEDAL MATCH AT 20:00 BST, 15:00 EST, 12:00 PST 5.30pm 10th Aug-5am 11th Aug

Saturday 11th August
- The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Men’s 10m Diving at the Olympic Park. STARTS AT 10:00 BST, 05:00 EST, 02:00 PST, RUNS ALL DAY WITH FINAL AT 20:30 BST, 15:30 EST, 12:30 PST 7pm 11th Aug-5.30am 12th Aug

Sunday 12th August

- The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Olympic Closing Ceremony at the Olympic Park. TIMING TBA

Obviously, the royals aren't going to stay all day watching diving/athletics etc., I assume they'll probably arrive in time for finals etc. We don't have times for visits to Team GB House etc. Hope this is helpful.

Times in blue for my fellow Australians :)

Lumutqueen said:
UPDATE:

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge & Prince Harry will attend a reception at Buckingham Palace for Heads of State and Government on Friday.

Also we have dates they will attend specific events;

Saturday 28th or Sunday 29th: he Duke of Cambridge will attend the Equestrian Events - Duke will attend EITHER on Saturday or Sunday but not both.

July 29; Prince William will also be at Wembley to watch TeamGB in action in the football

Monday 30th - Prince Harry will attend the 10m Diving (at the Olympic Park).

July 30: Prince William to attend GB House event with brother Harry.

July 31: William Kate and Harry back at the equestrian competition and then on to the Athletes' Village at the Olympic Park

Thursday 2nd Aug - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Tennis (at Wimbledon).

NON OLYMPIC EVENT FOR HARRY: August 2: Prince Harry will attend a reception for the School Games a Clarence House while William and Kate see the tennis at Wimbledon.

Friday 3rd Aug - The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the Equestrian Dressage (at Greenwich).

Friday 3rd Aug - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Swimming (at the Olympic Park).

Sat 4th Aug: The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Hockey (at the Olympic Park).

Sat 4th Aug - The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Gymnastics (at the Olympic Park).

Sunday 5th Aug - The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend Athletics (at the Olympic Park). Prior to this Catherine will visit TeamGB House.

Monday 6th August - The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Sailing (at Weymouth).

Wed Aug 8th - Prince Harry will attend the Beach Volleyball (at Horseguards Parade).

Thurs 9th Aug - The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Synchronised Swimming (at the Olympic Park).

Thurs 9th Aug - Prince Harry will attend the Athletics (at the Olympic Park).

August 10th: Catherine will join Team GB at Hockey if the team qualifies and August 11th she's to be at the 10m Mens Diving.

The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will attend the closing ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic games on 12th August. William is working.

Just read on twitter that all the information I posted yesterday is subject to change, I assume the Duchess of Cambridge events aren't because she has nothing else to do but William and Harry's might change due to work apparently which is fair enough.

Thanks for posting the times, EIIR.
I'll now know the times as well: Armenia is BST +3.

Can't wait till 27th! :)

Thank you, American Dane, for adding some Australian times. I considered adding info for the different time zones in Australia, but with daylight savings in some bits of the world and not others, I think I'd still be sitting here working at it. Time zones can be bloody confusing.

Thank you, American Dane, for adding some Australian times. I considered adding info for the different time zones in Australia, but with daylight savings in some bits of the world and not others, I think I'd still be sitting here working at it. Time zones can be bloody confusing.

No worries :flowers:

Fortunately the entire east coast is on the same time zone at the moment. BTW anyone in Perth: just subtract 2 hours (i.e. the opening ceremony is 4am there), and in New Zealand: add 2 hours.

I bet the American coverage is all swimming and gymnastics!

Just once it would be nice if they showed the equestrian events or something like that.
But probably it'll be business as usual.

(At least they probably won't show as much of the soccer as other countries will).

:previous: the good thing is that there are plenty of cable channels that carry other events, so it's relatively easy to find other events.

:previous: the good thing is that there are plenty of cable channels that carry other events, so it's relatively easy to find other events.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone started up an Olympics Channel dedicated to showing all events live? With the games being held every 2 years there probably would be enough trials and such to cover between the actual games. All times would be OST. Olympic Standard Time. :D

Just once it would be nice if they showed the equestrian events or something like that.

(At least they probably won't show as much of the soccer as other countries will).

Yeah, it seems the coverage on NBC will mainly focus on swimming, volleyball, track and gymnastics. But, it looks like MSNBC will be covering some of the other events (like equestrian, hockey, wrestling, soccer and water polo).

Last edited:

Check your tv provider's on-air schedule. I know ours has several channels that will be dedicated to Olympics coverage, including the "orphan" sports.

LOVE her sunglasses; they are really cool.
Great necklace too - and spot on, considering the occasion. I wonder whether it was a gift or Anne bought it herself.

Last edited:
Anne can certainly rock the sporty look.

Osipi said:
Wouldn't it be nice if someone started up an Olympics Channel dedicated to showing all events live?

I found this by accident on my sky box (I was trying to remember the music channel) and I stumbled across 30 BBC channels dedicated to the Olympics. THIRTY?! Right now they aren't showing anything but I imagine they'll start tomorrow.

I found this by accident on my sky box (I was trying to remember the music channel) and I stumbled across 30 BBC channels dedicated to the Olympics. THIRTY?! Right now they aren't showing anything but I imagine they'll start tomorrow.

Wow! How cool is that? ;)

Tonight I think I'm going to wade through all the channels we get here and see if I can find something similar. As far as I can tell, we only get BBC America and I really don't see them doing anything with the games yet at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom