The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

In relation to both The Queen, William, Catherine and Harry:

London 2012 Olympics: Royal family to welcome Olympic Torch Relay as it passes Buckingham Palace - Telegraph

Quote:
The Queen will view the Olympic Flame at Windsor Castle on July 10, Buckingham Palace said.
The Olympic Torch Relay will travel through the grounds of four royal residences on its way to the lighting of the cauldron at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, east London, to mark the start of the Games.
The Olympic Flame will pass through the Balmoral Estate on June 11, the Sandringham Estate on July 4 and Windsor Castle on July 10, where the Queen will meet the torchbearers.
William, Kate and Harry will be watching as three torchbearers carry the Olympic flame through the grounds of Buckingham Palace on July 26, the day before the opening ceremony.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Interesting that William, Kate and Harry will see it the day before the opening ceremony. They obviously feel they'll get the international press coverage that London 2012 will want.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Interesting that William, Kate and Harry will see it the day before the opening ceremony. They obviously feel they'll get the international press coverage that London 2012 will want.
As the Queen will be on hand to see the flame pass through Windsor, what better representatives to be on hand at BP then Royal Ambassadors to the 2012 Games? I've always really enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies of the games and this year for sure I'll be glued to the coverage.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Osipi, say a prayer for us with the opening ceremony! We have to follow China who threw literally tens of billions at it, and we're basically skint. Lots of people here are hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised if it was a big let down.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
Osipi, say a prayer for us with the opening ceremony! We have to follow China who threw literally tens of billions at it, and we're basically skint. Lots of people here are hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised if it was a big let down.
Maybe if we put in some fake footsteps that look like the Loch Ness monster we could get somewhere
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

The articles state that other members of the family will also see the flame pass through other areas. Most likely on their engagements perhaps?

I am getting quite excited about the Olympics now.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Kate Middleton, Prince William and Prince Harry's non-stop Olympics agenda revealed - Mirror Online
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Courtier

This article says they will be meeting Commonwealth athletes too, which is good to see.

I wonder if we will hear the Queen speak French when she officially declares the Games open. It is the 2nd Olympic language and it would be nice if she used it as well as English.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I strongly doubt it.
The games are in London, and the British might not take it well if their Monarch makes a speech in a language other then their own.
If the games were in Paris, no one would expect the French President to make a speech in English (not unless they wanted a small-scale riot on their hands anyway).
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
The articles state that other members of the family will also see the flame pass through other areas. Most likely on their engagements perhaps?

I am getting quite excited about the Olympics now.
I think it's more likely the (relatively) minor royals will witness the flame pass ceremonies on private engagements, like Princess Beatrice did.
And while we are at it, here are a couple of Olympics-related official engagements British royals will undertake:

- The Queen will receive the Olympic Torch at Windsor Castle on July 10.
- Princess Alexandra will attend a Service to mark the Olympic Games at Westminster Abbey on July 12.
- Princess Anne, as President of the British Olympic Association, will attend a Reception with 1948 Olympians at Team GB House on July 17.
- The Duke of Gloucester will open the new Olympic Wing at St John's Church of England School, Essex, on July 17.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Heir Apparent

^The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are also set to receive the torch on July 26th
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
This article says they will be meeting Commonwealth athletes too, which is good to see.

I wonder if we will hear the Queen speak French when she officially declares the Games open. It is the 2nd Olympic language and it would be nice if she used it as well as English.

The language used is the language of the country although she did use both in Montreal although the Winter Games in Vancouver were only opened in English.

I would be surprised if she broke that protocol and used any language other than English to declare the games open.

Just as I would be surprised to hear any language other than Portuguese in 2016 for the few words that the Head of State actually says: I declare open the Games of [London] celebrating the [30th] Olympiad of the modern era.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope she doesn't speak in French. It's never made sense to me that French is the 2nd language of the Olympics. It reminds me of being on a flight last year with a British holiday company from the UK to the Canaries. All the announcements were in English and French which none of us could understand. The captain actually apologised and explained that because the plane was registered in Canada (for some inexplicable reason) legally all the announcements had to be made in both languages.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I hope she doesn't speak in French. It's never made sense to me that French is the 2nd language of the Olympics. It reminds me of being on a flight last year with a British holiday company from the UK to the Canaries. All the announcements were in English and French which none of us could understand. The captain actually apologised and explained that because the plane was registered in Canada (for some inexplicable reason) legally all the announcements had to be made in both languages.
Because Baron De Coubertain who began the modern Olympics was a Frenchman. Because at the time the modern Olympics began France had an Empire that, while not as extensive as Britain's, was still large enough that French was spoken widely throughout the world.

It's also a beautiful language. I'm glad that at the time I went to school in the UK it was compulsory to learn it.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's an aggressive language IMO, not beautiful. If any language should be second to English, it should be Greek.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's an aggressive language IMO, not beautiful. If any language should be second to English, it should be Greek.
It's a question of perception. I don't find anything aggressive about it but I suppose it would depend on the speaker.

Why Greek second to English? Why not the other way around? Other than the fact that English is (possibly) the most widely spoken language, it has no greater connection with the Olympics than French, German, Spanish, Arabic or Mandarin.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Courtier

English and French are the official languages of the Olympics and will be the two spoken for all announcements. If the host country has a different language (i.e. Beijing) then a third language will be spoken as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
It's a question of perception. I don't find anything aggressive about it but I suppose it would depend on the speaker.

Why Greek second to English? Why not the other way around? Other than the fact that English is (possibly) the most widely spoken language, it has no greater connection with the Olympics than French, German, Spanish, Arabic or Mandarin.
I think that the reasoning behind the Greek language would be that it is from Greece that the Olympics come from. The Olympic flame is lit originally in Greece and during the parade of nations, Greece is always the first country to enter the stadium with the host country being the last.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi

I think that the reasoning behind the Greek language would be that it is from Greece that the Olympics come from. The Olympic flame is lit originally in Greece and during the parade of nations, Greece is always the first country to enter the stadium with the host country being the last.
I was agreeing with the argument that Greek should be an official language. I was questioning why it should be second to English.

There is a better argument that
Greek should be the official language and then the language of the host nation, whatever that may be, is the second language for that particular games.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I suppose the reasoning is that English is the one language most people on this planet speak to varying degree of fluency. It's the lingua franca of our times.
In the times of Napoleon, it would have been French. Earlier, it could have been Latin or Ancient Greek. Maybe in a couple of decades' time, it will be Chinese or Japanese or Indian - but right now it's English.

Closed Thread