The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
In relation to both The Queen, William, Catherine and Harry:

London 2012 Olympics: Royal family to welcome Olympic Torch Relay as it passes Buckingham Palace - Telegraph

Quote:
The Queen will view the Olympic Flame at Windsor Castle on July 10, Buckingham Palace said.
The Olympic Torch Relay will travel through the grounds of four royal residences on its way to the lighting of the cauldron at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, east London, to mark the start of the Games.
The Olympic Flame will pass through the Balmoral Estate on June 11, the Sandringham Estate on July 4 and Windsor Castle on July 10, where the Queen will meet the torchbearers.
William, Kate and Harry will be watching as three torchbearers carry the Olympic flame through the grounds of Buckingham Palace on July 26, the day before the opening ceremony.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #62  
Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Interesting that William, Kate and Harry will see it the day before the opening ceremony. They obviously feel they'll get the international press coverage that London 2012 will want.
__________________

__________________
  #63  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Interesting that William, Kate and Harry will see it the day before the opening ceremony. They obviously feel they'll get the international press coverage that London 2012 will want.
As the Queen will be on hand to see the flame pass through Windsor, what better representatives to be on hand at BP then Royal Ambassadors to the 2012 Games? I've always really enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies of the games and this year for sure I'll be glued to the coverage.
__________________
  #64  
Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Osipi, say a prayer for us with the opening ceremony! We have to follow China who threw literally tens of billions at it, and we're basically skint. Lots of people here are hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised if it was a big let down.
__________________
  #65  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
Osipi, say a prayer for us with the opening ceremony! We have to follow China who threw literally tens of billions at it, and we're basically skint. Lots of people here are hoping for the best but wouldn't be surprised if it was a big let down.
Maybe if we put in some fake footsteps that look like the Loch Ness monster we could get somewhere
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #66  
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Molly2101's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,555
The articles state that other members of the family will also see the flame pass through other areas. Most likely on their engagements perhaps?

I am getting quite excited about the Olympics now.
__________________
"I am yours, you are mine, of that be sure. You are locked in my heart, the little key is lost and now you must stay there forever."
Written by Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in the diary of her fiance, Tsarevich Nicholas.
  #67  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Kate Middleton, Prince William and Prince Harry's non-stop Olympics agenda revealed - Mirror Online
__________________
  #68  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
RoyalistRiley's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 502
This article says they will be meeting Commonwealth athletes too, which is good to see.

I wonder if we will hear the Queen speak French when she officially declares the Games open. It is the 2nd Olympic language and it would be nice if she used it as well as English.
__________________
God Save the Queen! Advance Australia Fair!
"Life is a game in which the player must appear ridiculous" - The Dowager Countess of Grantham, Downton Abbey
http://twitter.com/FutureSirRiley
  #69  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,425

I strongly doubt it.
The games are in London, and the British might not take it well if their Monarch makes a speech in a language other then their own.
If the games were in Paris, no one would expect the French President to make a speech in English (not unless they wanted a small-scale riot on their hands anyway).
  #70  
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
The articles state that other members of the family will also see the flame pass through other areas. Most likely on their engagements perhaps?

I am getting quite excited about the Olympics now.
I think it's more likely the (relatively) minor royals will witness the flame pass ceremonies on private engagements, like Princess Beatrice did.
And while we are at it, here are a couple of Olympics-related official engagements British royals will undertake:

- The Queen will receive the Olympic Torch at Windsor Castle on July 10.
- Princess Alexandra will attend a Service to mark the Olympic Games at Westminster Abbey on July 12.
- Princess Anne, as President of the British Olympic Association, will attend a Reception with 1948 Olympians at Team GB House on July 17.
- The Duke of Gloucester will open the new Olympic Wing at St John's Church of England School, Essex, on July 17.
  #71  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 AM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
^The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are also set to receive the torch on July 26th
__________________
  #72  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
This article says they will be meeting Commonwealth athletes too, which is good to see.

I wonder if we will hear the Queen speak French when she officially declares the Games open. It is the 2nd Olympic language and it would be nice if she used it as well as English.

The language used is the language of the country although she did use both in Montreal although the Winter Games in Vancouver were only opened in English.

I would be surprised if she broke that protocol and used any language other than English to declare the games open.

Just as I would be surprised to hear any language other than Portuguese in 2016 for the few words that the Head of State actually says: I declare open the Games of [London] celebrating the [30th] Olympiad of the modern era.
__________________
  #73  
Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
I hope she doesn't speak in French. It's never made sense to me that French is the 2nd language of the Olympics. It reminds me of being on a flight last year with a British holiday company from the UK to the Canaries. All the announcements were in English and French which none of us could understand. The captain actually apologised and explained that because the plane was registered in Canada (for some inexplicable reason) legally all the announcements had to be made in both languages.
__________________
  #74  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I hope she doesn't speak in French. It's never made sense to me that French is the 2nd language of the Olympics. It reminds me of being on a flight last year with a British holiday company from the UK to the Canaries. All the announcements were in English and French which none of us could understand. The captain actually apologised and explained that because the plane was registered in Canada (for some inexplicable reason) legally all the announcements had to be made in both languages.
Because Baron De Coubertain who began the modern Olympics was a Frenchman. Because at the time the modern Olympics began France had an Empire that, while not as extensive as Britain's, was still large enough that French was spoken widely throughout the world.

It's also a beautiful language. I'm glad that at the time I went to school in the UK it was compulsory to learn it.
__________________
  #75  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
It's an aggressive language IMO, not beautiful. If any language should be second to English, it should be Greek.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #76  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's an aggressive language IMO, not beautiful. If any language should be second to English, it should be Greek.
It's a question of perception. I don't find anything aggressive about it but I suppose it would depend on the speaker.

Why Greek second to English? Why not the other way around? Other than the fact that English is (possibly) the most widely spoken language, it has no greater connection with the Olympics than French, German, Spanish, Arabic or Mandarin.
__________________
  #77  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 734
English and French are the official languages of the Olympics and will be the two spoken for all announcements. If the host country has a different language (i.e. Beijing) then a third language will be spoken as well.
__________________
  #78  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
It's a question of perception. I don't find anything aggressive about it but I suppose it would depend on the speaker.

Why Greek second to English? Why not the other way around? Other than the fact that English is (possibly) the most widely spoken language, it has no greater connection with the Olympics than French, German, Spanish, Arabic or Mandarin.
I think that the reasoning behind the Greek language would be that it is from Greece that the Olympics come from. The Olympic flame is lit originally in Greece and during the parade of nations, Greece is always the first country to enter the stadium with the host country being the last.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #79  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi

I think that the reasoning behind the Greek language would be that it is from Greece that the Olympics come from. The Olympic flame is lit originally in Greece and during the parade of nations, Greece is always the first country to enter the stadium with the host country being the last.
I was agreeing with the argument that Greek should be an official language. I was questioning why it should be second to English.

There is a better argument that
Greek should be the official language and then the language of the host nation, whatever that may be, is the second language for that particular games.
__________________
  #80  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,425

I suppose the reasoning is that English is the one language most people on this planet speak to varying degree of fluency. It's the lingua franca of our times.
In the times of Napoleon, it would have been French. Earlier, it could have been Latin or Ancient Greek. Maybe in a couple of decades' time, it will be Chinese or Japanese or Indian - but right now it's English.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Historical British Royals LLaura Royal Chit Chat 227 04-18-2014 09:42 PM
Royal Family of Brunei Current Events 2: August 2006- Humera Royal Family of Brunei 239 10-23-2013 01:01 PM
The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events 3 (April 2007 - May 2013) Empress Current Events Archive 363 05-01-2013 01:18 PM
Questions about some recent British Royal Weddings Liamdarcybrown Royal Weddings 8 02-05-2011 11:48 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman palace pieter van vollenhoven poland pom president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]