The British Royal Family & the 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a case of Commonwealth governments needing to invite her. In these cases I believe the Governor General who is in almost all respects the functioning head of state, in the absence of the monarch, did the official opening. In the UK it would be unthinkable for her not to open the games as long as her health holds up.

Thank you so much for the information. It is appreciated. I never paid attention as to who actually opens or closes the games. Glad Her Majesty will be participating. Looking forward to seeing clips and pictures. The House of Windsor will certainly have one exciting and busy summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a case of Commonwealth governments needing to invite her. In these cases I believe the Governor General who is in almost all respects the functioning head of state, in the absence of the monarch, did the official opening. In the UK it would be unthinkable for her not to open the games as long as her health holds up.
I know our government had invited her but she declined. Lemme see if I can dig up that article.. here it is...

Canada News: DiManno: Olympics will miss the Queen's touch - thestar.com

Oh and for anyone who wants a nice montage of 76 games with lotsa clips of the Queen

Montreal 1976 Olympics - Opening Ceremony Highlighhts - YouTube

^^^^^
The article seems to suggest that the government invited her and at the same time advised her not to accept the invitation.

Ya the article is a bit weird. Tbh I would have loved to see her open our games but oh well what can you do. I'm excited to see her hopefully open the London Olympics

This sounds fantastic. This in particular caught my eye: They will also attend the Olympics in July and the Paralympics a month later, and are expected to carry out other engagements encouraging children to take part in sport.

This is very much in line with the charities Kate is reportedly interested in taking on (and I think we know of one of this sort she definitely visited). There is no greater launching point to boost children's interest in sport/movement/activity and being healthy than the Olympics. After every Olympics, enrollment in sports is way up.

The Evening Standard can reveal details of William and Kate's role as Olympic 2012 ambassadors for the first time - and they include using their experience of royal duties and being in the public eye to help young sports men and women gain confidence and win medals.
Wills to win: royal couple to help coach young athletes for Games | Olympics

I think this is a great idea. Both have played competitive sports, so they do know about stress of competing, as well as how to be part of a team.

I thought the Olympics was about the athletes, not members of the RF. I think this is a ridiculous idea and for them to march at the opening ceremonies is a blatant intrusion on the spirit of the games.

I must agree, among royals we have few IOC's members but they're only support sportsmen from 'distance', give medals and something like that. W&K are very popular but it can be more defect than advantage - public will be concentrate on them instead on the most important people - athletes.

Conversely, people who normally don't care about the Olympics (that would be people like me, lol), might watch because of William's and Kate's high profiles. Whatever reason gets people to watch is good.

Firstly, the comment about them parading with the athletes did not sound like a "definite" to me and secondly, IMO, yes, people will look at them but there is no way that attention is going to be drawn away from the athletes. I also agree that if they do it might well bring in viewers who might not otherwise tune in for opening day festivities.

In any event, I don't think it's a big deal and nothing to get undone about. :lol:

With regards to the Olympics, it's difficult to appreciate the general sense of apathy felt by probably a majority of the UK population for the games if you're not here. There is a feeling that at £9.3 billion we just can't afford it and also that it's a London event with very little in it for the rest of the UK. There is a large proportion who don't support the event, even now we're so close to holding it.

I would assume the the organisers are thrilled to have Will, Kate and Harry on board to garner some more positive PR. They need the British people to get behind the event.

The idea that any non-competitor would parade with the British athletes at the opening ceremony is absurd and I think the chances of it happening are miniscule.

The idea that any non-competitor would parade with the British athletes at the opening ceremony is absurd and I think the chances of it happening are miniscule.

Actually, nothing could be further from the truth. Each nation's entire accredited delegation - athletes, coaches, judges, National Olympic Committee personnel, etc - are allowed to participate in the Parade of Nations for both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. I've watched many Olympics Opening Ceremonies and listened to Bob Costas drone on about how "so-and-so" is the lone athlete from "pick a poor/remote/impoverished/lightly populated nation" while behind said athlete carrying the flag is a handful of other folks kitted in said nation's opening ceremony outfit. Heck, there have even been a few times when some non-athlete carries the flag because said athlete is competing the next day and therefore isn't participating in the opening ceremony.

It wouldn't be any stretch of the imagination, to this seasoned Olympics viewer, for William, Kate & Harry, as Olympics Ambassadors, to march with the British delegation in the Opening Ceremonies.

...The idea that any non-competitor would parade with the British athletes at the opening ceremony is absurd and I think the chances of it happening are miniscule.
I really don't think that William and Kate as ambassadors for the 2012 games would be included in the actual entrance with Team UK. If any royal would deserve to do that, it would be the Princess Royal. The chances of her doing that is very slim also as she is also on the IOC committee and probably impartial. I don't think I've ever seen a non-athlete other than the coaches and trainers of the team in the parade of nations.

I really think the young royals as ambassadors will mainly be "meet and greet" hospitality at various functions along with any other areas they would be useful at.

On the BRF engagements page, Prince Phillip is listed as attending the closing ceremony on 12th August, but nobody else is listed as attending either the opening nor closing ceremonies.

On the BRF engagements page, Prince Phillip is listed as attending the closing ceremony on 12th August, but nobody else is listed as attending either the opening nor closing ceremonies.

I cannot imagine that The Queen will not attend the Opening Ceremonies. The host nation's head of state always declares the games open. I suppose that the PM could do that job but I highly doubt it.

...I don't think I've ever seen a non-athlete other than the coaches and trainers of the team in the parade of nations.
I agree with you that should a British royal take part, it should be the Princess Royal however just a small correction: there are two times that a royal has taken part in the Olympics as a non-athlete (Felipe as flag bearer at Barcelona and Haakon lit the cauldron at Lillehammer) :flowers:

I agree with you that should a British royal take part, it should be the Princess Royal however just a small correction: there are two times that a royal has taken part in the Olympics as a non-athlete (Felipe as flag bearer at Barcelona and Haakon lit the cauldron at Lillehammer) :flowers:

Thanks for the correction! At the summer games in Edmonton when Anne competed, does anyone know if she paraded into the stadium with the rest of the British Olympians?

Thanks for the correction! At the summer games in Edmonton when Anne competed, does anyone know if she paraded into the stadium with the rest of the British Olympians?

Surely you mean Montreal. :flowers: The Olympics have never been held in Edmonton. Canada has hosted the Games three times - 1976 Summer in Montreal, 1988 Winter in Calgary and 2010 Winter in Vancouver.

As to your question, I'm not sure if she paraded in with the rest of the British delegation or not. I was a toddler at the time, lol. I'd guess she probably did but Montreal was the Olympics that immediately followed Munich, so it's possible she didn't out of security concerns. I know that other royal athletes have paraded in with their delegations. Prince Albert when he was bobsledding carried the Monegasque flag at least once.

Is it still clear yet if Zara will be part of the olympic eventing team? If so, it would be logical if she would parade in the entrance team.

Other than that, it would be ridiculous if non-competing royals would make an entrance with the team. I believe Felipe of Spain was a flag bearer for the team in Barcelona but he was a member of the sailing team, the only exception would be Albert of Monaco, who is a former bobsled Olympian.

Is it still clear yet if Zara will be part of the olympic eventing team? If so, it would be logical if she would parade in the entrance team.

It hasn't been confirmed that Zara has made the equestrian team yet, well it hasn't been released to the press anyway.

I don't think the UK Eventing Team will be announced until closer to the Games. More than likely sometime in late May/early June. As for whether or not Zara will march in w/the UK Team at the Opening Ceremonies, I think it all depends on the timing of things.

If the start of the Eventing events are close to the Opening Ceremonies, say the day after or even two days after, then she might chose not to in order to concentrate on doing well in the competition. It also depends on what the travel time would be between London and whereever the Equestrian events will be.

If things do start the day after the Opening Ceremonies and if the venue is too far away for it to make sense in a preparation sense, then I doubt very much Zara would march in w/the Team in the Opening Ceremonies. I would really hope it's possible for her to do so though. I mean...It's an once in a lifetime thing to compete at a Home Olympics and what athlete wouldn't want to march in last w/the rest of your Countrymen and women to the reaction the crowd will give them?

If Zara qualifies for the team that is. I certainly hope she does. She's said herself missing both Athens and Beijing really hurt. I can't imagine how Zara would feel if she missed out on a Home Olympics.

edited to add...Osipi, I think you're remembering the Commonwealth Games that Edmonton hosted in the 80's and that Prince Charles opened during his and Diana's first Canadian Tour. It was also both Canada Day and Diana's Birthday that day too and I remember everyone singing "Happy Birthday to the Princess. :eek:)

Last edited:
The first day of the three day eventing competition is the 28th July at Greenwich the day after the Opening Ceremony which is on the 27th July.

Often those competing the day ofter the opening ceremony don't parade simply because of how long they stand around waiting to even get involved - it can be hours of waiting - and then they have to compete the next day.

As Opening Ceremonies have become grander the concern for the welfare of the competitors as reduced.

Last edited:
edited to add...Osipi, I think you're remembering the Commonwealth Games that Edmonton hosted in the 80's and that Prince Charles opened during his and Diana's first Canadian Tour. It was also both Canada Day and Diana's Birthday that day too and I remember everyone singing "Happy Birthday to the Princess. :eek:)

A bit OT but 1986 was not Charles & Dianas first visit to Canada. They first visited in 1983.

1983 was their first visit to Canada and Charles opening the Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Alberta.

1986 was their second and the visit to Expo 86 in Vancouver, British Columbia, which IIRC was already open to the Public.

Since the Eventing compeition starts the day after the Opening Ceremonies, chances are that Zara won't be attending them. If she's on the Team that is.

Not exactly a shock, but Buckingham Palace have today finally confirmed that the Queen will open both the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games in London this summer.

The Queen previously started Canada’s Montreal Games in 1976, while the Duke of Edinburgh did it on her behalf at Melbourne, Australia, in 1956.
In 1908, the first time London staged the Games, it was King Edward VII who opened the event at White City Stadium. The Queen's father King George VI opened the last London games in 1948. The 2012 Games will crown a joyous summer for the Queen, who is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee.

London 2012 Olympics: Queen to open Games | Mail Online

I'm glad she gets to open both Olympic and Paraolympic Games in her Diamond Jubilee Year. Very exciting. Looking forward to seeing the pictures and footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom