The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Have any of the other Commonwealth nations teams asked for a member of the Royal Family to be an Ambassador for their team? I would think that would be the first step.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Have any of the other Commonwealth nations teams asked for a member of the Royal Family to be an Ambassador for their team? I would think that would be the first step.

That is irrelevant to my point - that the BRF only supports the UK when they shouldn't be showing favouritism to one realm over another - they shouldn't be taking on these positions for only one realm. Because they can't do this for all realms they should be refusing to do it for one realm.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I am pretty sure the Australian team will manage quite well without having a royal as an Ambassador, but if they want one they can ask as there are still a number of royals available. I dont think anyone in Canada will be offended seeing William, Catherine and Harry cheering on the UK team and encouraging Brits to support the home team at the London Olympics but maybe you Aussies are more sensitive.
Most people realize the reality that it is the British Royal Family, even though the Queen is sovereign of many realms. Other members of the family have no titles specific to these other realms. They are not titled as Princes or Princesses of "other realms and territories" or "of Australia or of Canada" they are of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Even you refer to them as the British Royal Family, and in the UK we would find it damn odd if they were not supporting the home team.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Majesty

William is the future King of more than one country and therefore he shouldn't be seen to be supporting only one of his future realms.

This is also the sort of thing that celebrities do but they, and many of their supporters, say that the royals aren't celebrities - but they do things that celebrities do - so they are only rich celebrities.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Heir Apparent

So happy to hear William Kate and Harry will be ambassadors for the UK. I'm really excited for the lead up to the actual Olympics I remember how exciting it was last time when it was here in my hometown. It'll be great to see all the royals there together supporting the athletes. I kinda wish CBC was covering it here in Canada not CTV since they did such a good job with the royal tour and wedding, they seemed to know their stuff. Last time CTV didn't even show any of the royals.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Maybe its just me but the way I interpreted Wills, Kate and Harry being ambassadors, it seemed to me that they'd be acting on behalf of Team UK in the spirit of them being the hosting team. I didn't take it to mean that the royals are actively backing Team UK in the games but as representatives of the host nation. If they were backing the team, I'd imagine that they'd be called sponsors or patrons. Team UK probably has so much to do as far as training and getting ready for their own personal events that they'd never be asked to take away that focus and have a list of events and whatever else is being planned as far as activities. Basically the ambassadors are acting for the UK team in a hosting capacity. Also, as host to the games, the UK team will be the last team to enter the arena in the opening ceremonies.

Now this is making me wonder if these three young royals will have a special part to play in either the opening and closing ceremonies at the games. One of things I most look forward to in the opening ceremonies is finding out who will light the Olympic flame.

Don't know how probable it could be but it sure would be fitting for HM to light the flame. Would really put a sparkle on a Diamond Jubilee year wouldn't it?

ETA: I just did some checking and it seems that the 1908 Olympic games held in London was officially opened by Edward VII. Perhaps HM will open the games and someone else light the flame?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Was this posted?
Richard basically says Wills Kate and Harry will be undertaking events in the lead up to the actual Olympics

Quote:
RoyalReporter Richard Palmer

Undertaking official engagements supporting the build-up to the Olympics is going to take up quite a bit of Will, Kate and Harry's time.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
... it sure would be fitting for HM to light the flame. Would really put a sparkle on a Diamond Jubilee year wouldn't it?
ETA: I just did some checking and it seems that the 1908 Olympic games held in London was officially opened by Edward VII. Perhaps HM will open the games and someone else light the flame?
I'd love to see Her Majesty either open the Olympic Games or light the flame. Definitely would be very special, since it's the Diamond Jubilee Year. However, I've read somewhere that Her Majesty didn't want her Jubilee to overshadow the Games, so she'll probably just be present at either Opening or Closing Ceremony.

Didn't know that Edward VII opened the 1908 Games. Thanks for the fact. I love picking up random historical tidbits.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Since the Games are officially opened by each countries Head of State it seems reasonable that QE2 will officially open the London Games but actually lighting the flame seems very unlkely. The President of the IOC usually closes the Games and will invite the worlds athletes to gather again in Rio for the next games.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

^She did it in what was it Montreal but for some reason she never did it again, there were rumours that she might do it for Vancouver but she obviously didn't . I've always wondered is there some sort of new rule or something that prevents her? I don't understand why she did it for one Canadian country but not the other.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Its a case of Commonwealth governments needing to invite her. In these cases I believe the Governor General who is in almost all respects the functioning head of state, in the absence of the monarch, did the official opening. In the UK it would be unthinkable for her not to open the games as long as her health holds up.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Majesty

Thank you so much for the information. It is appreciated. I never paid attention as to who actually opens or closes the games. Glad Her Majesty will be participating. Looking forward to seeing clips and pictures. The House of Windsor will certainly have one exciting and busy summer.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Its a case of Commonwealth governments needing to invite her. In these cases I believe the Governor General who is in almost all respects the functioning head of state, in the absence of the monarch, did the official opening. In the UK it would be unthinkable for her not to open the games as long as her health holds up.
I know our government had invited her but she declined. Lemme see if I can dig up that article.. here it is...

Canada News: DiManno: Olympics will miss the Queen's touch - thestar.com

Oh and for anyone who wants a nice montage of 76 games with lotsa clips of the Queen

Old 12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
The article seems to suggest that the government invited her and at the same time advised her not to accept the invitation.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Ya the article is a bit weird. Tbh I would have loved to see her open our games but oh well what can you do. I'm excited to see her hopefully open the London Olympics
Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Nobility

This sounds fantastic. This in particular caught my eye: They will also attend the Olympics in July and the Paralympics a month later, and are expected to carry out other engagements encouraging children to take part in sport.

This is very much in line with the charities Kate is reportedly interested in taking on (and I think we know of one of this sort she definitely visited). There is no greater launching point to boost children's interest in sport/movement/activity and being healthy than the Olympics. After every Olympics, enrollment in sports is way up.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Wills to win: royal couple to help coach young athletes for Games | Olympics

Prince Harry: Royal will support volley ball babes at the Olympics | The Sun |News
Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Evening Standard can reveal details of William and Kate's role as Olympic 2012 ambassadors for the first time - and they include using their experience of royal duties and being in the public eye to help young sports men and women gain confidence and win medals.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
The Evening Standard can reveal details of William and Kate's role as Olympic 2012 ambassadors for the first time - and they include using their experience of royal duties and being in the public eye to help young sports men and women gain confidence and win medals.
I think this is a great idea. Both have played competitive sports, so they do know about stress of competing, as well as how to be part of a team.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the Olympics was about the athletes, not members of the RF. I think this is a ridiculous idea and for them to march at the opening ceremonies is a blatant intrusion on the spirit of the games.