Royals Who Are Competing in Olympics 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first time I see Zara Phillips :D , Amazing job of her. :flowers:

She looked like she was crying, both on the way in and on the way out :( :( :(

I think she was on the way out, the commentators said that she made a slight mistake in the first round or something (I know nothing about riding or what things are called in riding, so) and that it bummed her out a bit because she's very perfectionistic. Nathalie has no reason to be sad though, she was riding so beautifully - as she always does.

Saudi's King's grandson is participating in the Jumping event, Hrh Prince Abdullah Bin Mitab Al Saud. He completed his first round ranking #1 with a few others. He is actually a really good rider, he also competed in Beijing 2008.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: Hrh Prince Abdullah Al Saud of Saudi Arabia riding Davos competes in the 1st Qualifier of Individual Jumping on Day 8 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at Greenwich Park on August 4, 2012 in London, England.

Photo from Getty Images

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Abdullah Al Saud was part of the Saudi Arabia Team that won bronze today in Team Jumping.
In Round One, he was among the best with no penalty points (in fact, after Round 1, Saudi Arabia was in lead with only 1 penalty point in total).
The Prince was the best in his team in the Second Round, with only 4 penalty points (only three jumpers showed better results - a Brit and two Dutch jumpers).

Huge congratulations to Prince Abdullah and his team-mates - Abdullah Waleed Sharbatly, Ramzy Al Duhami, Kamal Bahamdan. :clap:

Last edited:
Prince Abdullah Al Saud was part of the Saudi Arabia Team that won bronze today in Team Jumping.
In Round One, he was among the best with no penalty points (in fact, after Round 1, Saudi Arabia was in lead with only 1 penalty point in total).
The Prince was the best in his team in the Second Round, with only 4 penalty points (only three jumpers showed better results - a Brit and two Dutch jumpers).

Huge congratulations to Prince Abdullah and his team-mates - Abdullah Waleed Sharbatly, Ramzy Al Duhami, Kamal Bahamdan. :clap:

Congratulations to the team!

Saudi Arabia's Prince Abdullah august 6, 2012 - News, photos, topics, and quotes

Princess Nathalie is competing today. She is due to start in a couple of minutes' time. Right now, things aren't looking too good for Team Denmark though (based on performance of Danish athletes who have already performed). :sad:

She is in the ring now. She did well and at least for the moment moved Denmark into 3rd place as a team.

Last edited:
Well, Princess Nathalie put a really good performance; in fact, she was the best in Danish team with personal score of 75.857 which earned her 9th spot (her team-mates were respectively 16th and 21st). Her performance helped Denmark to climb to third position (from 5th). Unfortunately for Danish supporters, that didn't last long because the Netherlands clinched bronze.

Still, really well done! :flowers:

Final ranking in Team Dressage:
1. Britain (the country's first victory in the discipline, incidentally)
2. Germany
3. The Netherlands

4. Denmark
5. Sweden
6. United States
7. Spain

Last edited:
On a positive note, Princess Nathalie's pretty high score allows her to qualify for Individual Dressage (which will take place on August 9).
Hopefully, she will have more luck there. :)

Aw, too bad we missed the bronze, but Nathalie's performance was unbelievably beautiful and graceful, she's such a great rider.

I feel bad for Nathalie but I'm glad she can compete for an individual medal.

:previous:
I actually think there is no need to feel bad for her; Nathalie performed very well (the best of her team), earned great marks and the right to fight for an individual. If anything, that's an achievement one should be congratulated with. :)

I happen to strongly believe in the words from London 1948 Olympic Games: "The important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part. The Essential thing in Life is not conquering but fighting well." Nathalie fought well, and she took part in an event that many of us can only dream of competing in.

I actually think there is no need to feel bad for her; Nathalie performed very well (the best of her team), earned great marks and the right to fight for an individual. If anything, that's an achievement one should be congratulated with. :)

I happen to strongly believe in the words from London 1948 Olympic Games: "The important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part. The Essential thing in Life is not conquering but fighting well." Nathalie fought well, and she took part in an event that many of us can only dream of competing in.

that's a beautiful quote :flowers:

I agree to a point, but if your team is good enough to possibly medal and you don't it's got to be a disappointment. It's about performing to your potential when it counts. Also, for me when a team does well it's a boon for more than just the athelete competing, especially for countries that don't have huge sport programs like China, U.S., Russia and Great Britain..not that Denmark has a tiny program. Either way I'm glad that Nathalie performed well.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying but when you are competing as part of a team, there is only so much you can do. Nathalie did her best.
Now, in individual dressage she will, hopefully, put another great performance and fight for a medal or Top 5 finish.

that's a beautiful quote :flowers:
For me, that quote always symbolised Olympic Games - or any sport, for that matter. :)

I understand what you are saying but when you are competing as part of a team, there is only so much you can do. Nathalie did her best.
Now, in individual dressage she will, hopefully, put another great performance and fight for a medal or Top 5 finish.

For me, that quote always symbolised Olympic Games - or any sport, for that matter. :)

Yes, I agree with you that you can only contribute your portion. And I do love that quote.

Princess Nathalie won't be competing for a medal, that's certain. They made too many technical mistakes and Digby misses the It-factor. His piaffe's and passage's (whatever you call them in English) are excellent but then you have his trot and it's all very average. It's a goodlooking horse though, a nice kur and combination to watch but not a contender for the medals.

On a more superficial note, the music she picked was pretty awful too.

It's not my cup of tea, but it fits Digby. More playful, that horse is not meant for heavy, classical music.

Princess Nathalie is already out of the medal competition. She's currently 5th with a score of 79.089 (which is actually a pretty high score), but some of the favourites haven't performed yet. She'll probably be around 8th or 9th by the end of the competition.

Anky van Grunsven (the Netherlads) showed a phenomenal result of 82.0, while Germany's Kristina Sphere (Germany) is currently second with a score of 81.37. Waiting to see what Charlotte Dujardin (Britain), Adelinde Cornelissen (the Netherlands) Laura Bechtolsheimer (Britain) will answer to that; the three of them were the best during Team Dressage.

I'm surprised Nathalie scored that high, to be honest. Too many technical mistakes.

Nathalie did make some mistakes - although so did most of the other riders. Dressage is one of the sports where not making mistakes is virtually impossible.
She finished 12th overall, with a score of 79.089 and had actually improved since the Team Dressage (back then, her score was 75.857).

Overall, I thought she performed pretty well. No chances of a medal or even a Top 5 finish because those riders showed exceptional riding. Charlotte Dujardin from Britain won with 90.089 points (which is, if I'm not mistaken one of the highest scores in Individual Dressage in many years), followed by Adelinde Cornelissen from the Netherlands with a score of 88.196 and Laura Bechtolsheimer, also from Britain, with a score of 84.334.

Last edited:
The standard in the dressage this year has been very high, which is unfortunate for Nathalie, although she didn't disgrace herself by any means.

A shame that Digby made those (small) mistakes (I, who, granted, knows nothing about horses or equestrianism, had to have them pointed out to even notice them) because Nathalie rode him very beautifully and I think it was very impressive that she improved her character from when she was competing in the Team Dressage. Hopefully she will compete in 2016 too.

Back
Top Bottom