The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Majesty

Glad to see that Zara is doing well. Hopefully she'll get what she is hoping to out of these Games.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Majesty

The Three Day Eventing event runs over 4 days. This allows for more competitors and teams.

Each of the teams is allowed up to 5 members and the best three of their scores count. Individuals are also able qualify.

This year they are running the team and individual events at the same time - which they did in past years although I remember in Sydney the two events were separated but many of the top eventers simply don't have two equally good horses and they can't use the same horse for two competitions at this level within a two week period.

Day 1 (or at the Olympics Days 1 and 2) is the dressage where the horse and rider ride around a relatively small arena to a set pattern and they are scored based on the performance such as how they change from canter to walk and back again.

Day 2 - the Cross Country involves horse and rider riding over a series of obstacles along a 5 km course. Falls and refusals see a competitor disqualified (Anne fell in this event in 1976 and was put back on her horse but now it is automatic disqualification - for the health and safety of horse and rider).

Day 3 is the Show Jumping and will see the horses and riders back at the dressage venue but this time jumping with again a set number of refusals resulting in disqualification and penalties applied if they knock down a jump. Mark Philips has made some of his living over the last 3 decades from designing courses for various competitions for this stage of the event.

After the three stages the best individual score wins gold and the team with the best three combined scores - not best three individual scores. This means that the best three dressage scores from the team will count even if those aren't the best three performers in the other two sections.

Zara is sitting in =24th after all the dressage has been completed and Britian is sitting third - Zara's score won't have counted for the GB team as she was the 4th best placed of the British team but will of course count for her own performance as an individual.

In 2002 I was at the cross country course and saw Anne - not up close but she was walking around the VIPy section and seemed to be enjoying her day - as were most of the rest of us - particularly as the Aussies moved into 1st place and went on to win the gold the next day.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Majesty

Thank you for clarifying this. Very helpful.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wonder if The Queen/DoE and the rest of the family will attend the equestrian events to watch Zara? It would be nice to see see Louise and James cheering on their cousin.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 AM
Majesty

Philip was there yesterday, along with Anne and Mike. No doubt her father was also there cheering her on along with cheering for the US team considering that he is the coach of the US team.

With the cross country it is possible that they could be there as the course is a long one - at about 5km in length. I know it Sydney there were 1000s of people there but most people only saw a couple of 100 based on where they were standing at the time - no seating for the Cross Country, although people did have blankets or picnic rugs etc.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Zara is #40 in the eventing, her start time is 15:06GMT today

Kate to watch Zara Phillips after her 'amazing' Olympic debut
HelloMagazine.com (includes a picture gallery of Zara's performance at the dressage event)
Old 07-30-2012, 04:36 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Wonder if The Queen/DoE and the rest of the family will attend the equestrian events to watch Zara? It would be nice to see see Louise and James cheering on their cousin.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Harry are due to attend today and tomorrow, albeit they were said to attend yesterday and never showed.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Majesty

Is it that they didn't show or is it that they weren't seen? It is possible that they could have been in a box somewhere and not been out publicly cheering on their cousin in case they distracted her.

The commentators here were talking about the fact that the photographers weren't taking photos of the action when Philip arrived but were only interested in taking his photo.

A thought.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

You'd think hiding away from the cameras wasn't a priority when supporting your cousin. If we can get pictures of a supposed "imposter" in Catherine's Jubilee outfit and hat, i'm sure the press would have found them supporting Zara, wherever they hid. For me, it's quite obvious commitments for William got in the way and Catherine decided not to go on her own.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You'd think hiding away from the cameras wasn't a priority when supporting your cousin. If we can get pictures of a supposed "imposter" in Catherine's Jubilee outfit and hat, i'm sure the press would have found them supporting Zara, wherever they hid. For me, it's quite obvious commitments for William got in the way and Catherine decided not to go on her own.
If they were there then I would guess the press would be more interested in the couple than Zara's performance (its the same how one argues why Kate doesn't show up to certain events or dress in color while around the queen so she doesn't get all the attention etc). I simple think the couple were not attending.

Good news - Britain so far is ranking 2nd place. Zara hasn't competed yet but there is a high chance for a team win. I also hope for an individual win for Zara but that will have to wait for at least today event to be completed.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I definitely agree that Catherine and William would have been the centre of attention, but for this occasion I wouldn't have thought that would have mattered. We'll at least apparently see them today.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Nobility

There's a delay in the competition at the cross country, and I'm hearing that the riders will be starting 30 minutes later than planned. Zara's new start time is 1536 GMT.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Full house of royals watching Zara as the competition restarts.

After 27 riders Mary King GBR is leading, Zara is due to ride at 15:45.

Zara might be delayed further due to another accident on course, Canadian rider fell on a jump.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Good luck to Zara! :)
Old 07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Good luck to her!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Inside the time!!!!
9:45 was the final time I believe, GBR still in the lead.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Great ride in under the time allowed putting her in a tie for 4th right now.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Zara is only one of four to go through the cross country without occurring a penalty so far. Great effort - you could tell she was pleased, fist pumping the air after the final jump.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

0 pen. Congrats ZARA
She was amazing!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Courtier

Great!!