Royals Who Are Attending 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter William and Kate met Australian athletes during a visit to Team GB House tonight
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter William and Kate spoke to Aussie basketball player Lauren Jackson and silver medallist kayaker Jessica Fox tonight.

I'm watching the swimming semi finals/finals right now on usagoals.com William and Kate are supposed to arrive soon from what I've heard

They just arrived
Royal Forum Morons ‏@RoyalForumMoron Will and Kate at #OlympicGames2012 #London2012 swimming with prince Edward in front . http://pic.twitter.com/3p0MLNS4

Cupcake. ‏@jennniferphelps AHHHHH WILLIAM AND KATE WERE THERE. THEY WATCHED MICHAEL.

Jamie McFadden ‏@JamieMcFadden_ W&K at the #aquatics centre. Accompanied by their current Press Secretary (and soon to be W's Private Sec) Miguel Head. #London2012

Last edited:
The Cambridges are already at the pool. They watched Phelps win his 21st medal,

Just spotted the royal line up. William, Catherine, Edward, Sophie, Anne and Tim. It's kike couples day out.

Relationship between the Royals

I think it's clear that W&M didn't really recognize Daniel or Carl Philip because honestly they probably don't know each other. not acceptable!!!! Yes, Daniel attended William's wedding but there were something like 2000 guests so even if they met there is was probably very quickly and it was his wedding day I'm sure there was far too much to take in. William has never been in royal circles.

Although he doesn't often go to foreign Royal events, Prince Charles is well known and liked in Royal circles. He often invites foreign royal to Highgrove (during his Royal Visit to Sweden last April and he met Victoria and Daniel !!!

To me this is quite a serious issue. The duty of the British royals was also to be prepared for the visit of other royal houses athe OG, that is part of their job, and NOT just concentrate on their British interests!!! and this even if other royals are there to support competitors to their national athlets!! ie here Zara Philips.

We have however to be bear in mind that the photos we see do not represent the whole event; they may well have greeted each other when arriving, and after that go back to their own interests. There on Lithekuva a picture which shows that Daniel is preparing for shaking hands with someone, but we cannot see whom.
The wedding of Victoria and Daniel has been sufficiently advertised worldwide for them to know who Daniel is.
The rather cold relationship between the British and Swedish royals had been mentioned repeatedly, just think of their poor representation at the wedding in Stockholm. I heard about some disappointment that they had not been able to raise the "interest" of Carl Gustav towards princess Anne some 40 years go...

Anne2 said:
The duty of the British royals was also to be prepared for the visit of other royal houses athe OG, that is part of their job, and NOT just concentrate on their British interests!!!

Sorry but every royal attending this Olympics, except Anne, Frederik, Albert and GD Henri are there unofficially to enjoy the games. The BRF have no duty, they hosted a welcome reception before the games, and will probably host something private at the end. I see no job for them to do.

Last edited:
Sorry but every royal attending this Olympics, except Anne, Frederik, Albert and GD Henri are there unofficially to enjoy the games. The BRF have no duty, they hosted a welcome reception before the games, and will probably host something private at the end. I see no job for them to do.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE with you, even if they were there unofficially! this pure rudeness. I just saw this picture of Daniel and Carl Philp, clear on their feelings

Prince Daniel Of Sweden And Prince Carl Philip Of Sweden

I am pretty sure the Swedish, Dutch or any other royals would behave in a more friendly way! No, hosting a reception does not make them free from elementary politeness at other moments.

To me this is quite a serious issue. The duty of the British royals was also to be prepared for the visit of other royal houses athe OG, that is part of their job, and NOT just concentrate on their British interests!!! and this even if other royals are there to support competitors to their national athlets!! ie here Zara Philips.

We have however to be bear in mind that the photos we see do not represent the whole event; they may well have greeted each other when arriving, and after that go back to their own interests. There on Lithekuva a picture which shows that Daniel is preparing for shaking hands with someone, but we cannot see whom.
The wedding of Victoria and Daniel has been sufficiently advertised worldwide for them to know who Daniel is.
The rather cold relationship between the British and Swedish royals had been mentioned repeatedly, just think of their poor representation at the wedding in Stockholm. I heard about some disappointment that they had not been able to raise the "interest" of Carl Gustav towards princess Anne some 40 years go...

No it was not, at least not in my country.

If we are judging by photos, Daniel and Carl Gustav walk right past William, Kate, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie without saying anything, but the BRF are the rude one?

Last edited:
Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
It's so lovely to see the younger Royals watching the Olympics. We were very lucky in the ticket ballots.

I thought this thread was about the royals who were attending the London Olympics, not about the real or imagined slights of members of the BRF towards foreign royals or their supposed obligations to host them at every venue. Apparently not.

in a way funny how people can read in a facial expression all kind of things (while the people in question might be thinking about a coffee or so)

I thought this thread was about the royals who were attending the London Olympics, not about the real or imagined slights of members of the BRF towards foreign royals or their supposed obligations to host them at every venue. Apparently not.

The job of the BRF is to serve the people of the UK and the other Commonwealth realms to the best of their ability. Nothing more, nothing less. The British people know next to nothing about other royal families, and even less about whether Prince William knows the husband of the heir to the throne of Sweden. William, Kate and Harry have done a great job so far supporting Team GB, visiting with Australian and Canadian athletes, speaking with the media from the Commonwealth, paying tribute to the military and volunteers who are working so hard to make the event a success etc. etc. Do the British people, to whom the BRF must answer, care that William may or may not have been sufficiently friendly with some foreign princes (whom the vast majority of the British people will know nothing about) to please posters on a royal message board? Not in a million years.

You obviously feel strongly about this which is fine but I would like to put forward a British perspective.

Charles and Camilla are the equivalent of Crown Prince/ess. When they visited Northern Europe earlier this year they met with Frederick/Mary; Haikkon/Mette-merit and Victoria/Daniel. And that is correct. William and Catherine are more junior.

William and Catherine have met Fredrick and Mary when they visited for 1 day on a specific humanitarian issue. Neither Fredrick or Mary attended the wedding.

Victoria and daniel went to the wedding in April last year. The couples do not know each other and although we can assume they shook hands that's probably as far as it went.

The QUEEN has formally met the royals attending and may (sorry cos I haven't seen it officially) say an official goodbye.

William, Catherine and Harry have a role as offical GB Olympic ambassadors - that's it. They are there to support Team GB and, which I think is great, meet with Commonwealth competitors.

The picture which includes Beatrice and Eugenie is out of court because the 2 princesses are not full time royals and carry out no royal duties. Furthermore the 2 from Sweden are behind them so how are they to know they are there?

This is really a non story and I've spent too much time on this and it is not relevant to the thread - so apologies all round to everyone - lets move on.

You are probably right. In this particular case I believe William and Harry simply didn't recognice Daniel and Carl Phillip.
As the younger British royals, as far as I know, are not in the habit of mingling with the younger continental royals they would know, let alone recognice, only a few. Probably with the exception of the various CP-couples.

That subject has been debated before and I still think it's the BRF's loss, as the continental royals benefit a lot from knowing other and exchanging experiences from others in the same situation. - Not least those who marry into royal families benefit a lot.

I can only agree full-heartedly here.
In addition, it's not like there were a few hundred reigning European Royal Houses left to keep track of; the Swedish Princes are actually equal respectively higher in rank than the young Waleses; and in this situation, their warm greeting by the Wessexes could hardly be missed from only a few feet away.

For them to literally look in the opposite direction is hard to justify and impolite no matter how you try to explain it.

They hardly know each other, I would imagine it is rather uncomfortable for all parties involved that they are supposed to pretend some sort of 'kinship'....kinda like when you have relatives that you've seen twice in your life, it's always awkward.

LaRae

Hmmm....:ermm: William, Harry and Kate are 30 years old generally between them - when do they grow up? They are royal - dollars to donuts they know who other royals look like. How could they not? Certainly they had Sophie next to them to let them know - and if they haven't actually hobnobbed with them - this is the perfect chance to lean over and say 'howdy' - chat with the princes about car racing, heliocopters and muscle tone - its a chance to make a friend. :bb:

Suggesting that princes who meet and greet as their job an endless array of the public and have learned (by the age of 30) to make the public feel at ease with no awkwardness evident - that they can't muster a decent how-do-you-do for two men who share similar work, let alone a similar upbringing (not many in the world share that - its a pretty small club) is astonishing. JMO.

However, i will give the benefit of the doubt. One would have to see a video or a whole series of snaps to be sure of what went on there. I will assume William and Kate and Harry are not that clueless (or uncomfortable) with good manners. These foreign royals are in one's own country, after all - a bit of being aware that one is the 'host' would be in order - like at a party at one's house.

BTW - I know there is a baby at home, but I wonder why Victoria did not attend, even for a day or two. Sweden's not that long an air-hop away. Would have liked to have seen her - especially with the baby. ;)

P.S. Where are the pictures of Louise and James - they keep getting mentioned but I don't see links to them.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Swedish, Dutch or any other royals would behave in a more friendly way! No, hosting a reception does not make them free from elementary politeness at other moments.
totally agree with you!
i think bein' polite plus educate includes everyone, even if i'm not exactly intimate with somebody, doesnt mean i'll be rude and turn my head away, i'll say hello, if need shake hands and depending on ocasion i'll kiss in the face. (im not directly saying that because of the picture, because it shows they talked, im just replying to a conversation and what it seems to be commom sense)

cant wait to see Christian and Isabella! i also hope Louise and James come again, they're too cute^^

Prince Charles@Charles_HRH
It's so lovely to see the younger Royals watching the Olympics. We were very lucky in the ticket ballots.

I absolutely love these parodies! They are so funny, especially Charles'.

I just saw an image on AlphaPress of Sophie taking a photo of Catherine who had her phone in her hand, and it looked like they were taking a photo of each other. Amusing. (On a side note, all the Royals were promoting Apple with their iPhones as Catherine and Sophie both whipped theirs out.)

Last edited:
Hmmm....:ermm: William, Harry and Kate are 30 years old generally between them - when do they grow up? They are royal - dollars to donuts they know who other royals look like. How could they not?

So not recognising someone means that you haven't grown up? How does that make any sense?

They are royal - dollars to donuts they know who other royals look like. How could they not?

Quite simple. The foreign royals do not get media coverage in the UK. We never see them in the news or the papers. They'll get a couple of pages in Hello, but I'll bet that's not exactly William and Harry's preferred reading material.

As cepe said earlier, the British perspective here is being missed. Foreign royals are unknown in the UK. To be frank, the British people don't care about whether William shakes the hand of the husband of the heir to the Swedish throne. It seems to be really annoying a lot of people here, though.

William, Kate and Harry will be getting briefed everyday on the British/Commonwealth athletes they're likely to meet at each event. Not to mention the representatives of each of the sports they're attending - the royals are always accompanied by former British Olympians or officials from each of the sports' governing bodies in the UK. It's much more important, to me anyway, that they know who these people are rather than a few royals that almost no one in the UK has ever heard of.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole discussion seems a little farfetched to me. We don"t know anything for certain, and it doesn"t make sense to project negative things. William and Catherine are not known to be snobbish. Just why would anyone think they would start now, based on a picture?

ghost_night554 said:
CTV interviewed William and Harry
CTV Olympics PR Team ‏@CTVOlympicsPR Prince William & Prince Harry sit down with @CTVO_BWilliams tonight on CTV (7-11pm) http://yfrog.com/nxjyrtuj

Also this just in
Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter So many lines from that BBC interview. Will+Harry"kept in the dark" over the Queen's parachuting hobby. W+K feared kisscam at Velodrome.

Philip Bevan ‏@bevanp02
The wife is currently chatting to William & Kate in TeamGB House. #Justsaying

Anne Dickins ‏@Anne24solo
Casually chatting about Physio at the Olympics with William and Kate at GB house.

Kate Middleton Fans ‏@RoyallyKate
“William jokes that Kate is a sight to behold with hockey stick; when she gets mad she goes for you with …” http://tmblr.co/ZUnHMxQgzRPy

Emma Paton ‏@MissEmmaPaton
Just seen WIlls and Kate at work...sooooo..yeahhh..she's kinda stunning in real life..

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
#royal William jokes Queen was such a natural in her James Bond role she will be starring in the next movie.

Picture from Team GB house
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lh_RyUEOX2g/UBwRB8JUROI/AAAAAAAAO-c/_oRlpeLJJMQ/s1600/ii.jpg

They should be heading to the swimming finals soon.

Thank you for all the links and pictures. Love Wills' joke about Kate and hockey stick. Again, we see his light-hearted side. I hope the interview will be available here in the States. BBC site says that it's not accessible here.

Molly2101 said:
I absolutely love these parodies! They are so funny, especially Charles'.

I just saw an image on AlphaPress of Sophie taking a photo of Catherine who had her phone in her hand, and it looked like they were taking a photo of each other. Amusing. (On a side note, all the Royals were promoting Apple with their iPhones as Catherine and Sophie both whipped theirs out.)

Those parodies are hysterical. Being an Apple junkie, I'm glad to see that the young royals may be using iPhones. But on a serious note, it sounds like everyone is having a great time.

could we get back on track please? Royals attending the Olympics

BTW - I know there is a baby at home, but I wonder why Victoria did not attend, even for a day or two. Sweden's not that long an air-hop away. Would have liked to have seen her - especially with the baby. ;)
shes probably breastfeeding, but i would love to see them, its a pity indeed:sad:

It is a bit disappointing that Victoria is not attending, but little Estelle does not need her mum!

I love watching the Royal's reactions to their countries winning medals as it is so natural. Loved William and Catherine's hug of joy yesterday at the Cycling, and then today saw Anne, Tim, Edward and Sophie thrilled for GB again winning a gold in cycling. It's hilarious but so natural too. They are just thrilled for their country.

The picture you selected shows cp and Daniel watching where they are walking. I don't know about you, but I would not appreciate anyone stepping on my foot or blocking my view of the event.

While i personally have talked before about the lack of interest from Wills, KAte and Harry to foreign royals I have to say that without seeing a video of the whole thing I see it as a non issue. remember these are just a selection of photos, they may very well have greeted each other and it wasn;t caught on camera or those particular pics weren't put online. As I say without seeing the whole thing I don't think we know enough to get all uppty about it.
I wonder if some of the european royals have been using this as a chance to have a catch up? maybe a few evening meals etc together, although the Danish royals especailly seem to be very very busy with evening events etc.

the lack of presence from any spanish royals - bar Queen Sofia at the opening cermony is disappointing. i know the King and Felipe still have some engagements but it would have be nice if the Queen or Letizia could have made appearances during this past week

Back
Top Bottom