The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Foreign Royals in London, Pre-Opening Ceremony

Prince Albert of Monaco and Princess Lalla Joumala Alaoui of Morroco attended the flag raising ceremony
at the Olympic village in London on July 25, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife/gettyimages/reuters gallery **

Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Royal Highness

According to kongehuset.dk Frederik is gonna carry the Olympic torch from Ladbroke Grove to Hillgate Street today.

— Queen Margrethe II of Denmark directly addressing people suffering from depression and loneliness in her 2011 New Years address.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

And that story has now hit BT: Frederik løber med den olympiske ild - Royale | www.bt.dk
With a high-res pic of Frederik running with the Olympic torch in 1994. http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files...o-frederik.jpg

The distance Frederik will be running is 360 metres, so he will hardly break a drop of sweat.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Royal Highness

Crown prince Frederik running with the torch today
H.K.H. Kronprinsen løber med den olympiske fakkel - Kongehuset

one more photo and a short article on prince Frederik running with the Olympic torch

http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige...s%20gader.aspx
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie visited the Athletes Village at the London 2012 Olympic Games site in Stratford today.
- Picture
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Infanta Pilar of Spain at the Olympic Village,her daughter Doña Simoneta Gómez Acebo accompanied her mother to London.

Picture details
Old 07-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Philippe, Princess Mathilde and their children in London, United Kingdom, on the occasion of the upcoming 2012 Summer Olympic Games

BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Royal Highness

Another pic of Frederik with the torch
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...a932T/610x.jpg
Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

princess haya today

London 2012 Olympic Preparations at Greenwich | Facebook
His soul was too great to be contained by the camera's lens ,yet his images radiate his love for his family , his faith , his pride on his country and people the world over who shared his commitment to peace and his joy in life . Queen Noor
Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Charlene and Prince Albert attended the inauguration of the "Maison de Monaco" ahead of the London 2012 Summer Olympics on July 26, 2012.

** zimbio gallery: Maison de Monaco Inauguration ** gettyimages/reuters/daylife **
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Can I ask why did Frederik do a torch run in London today? I realize he is a member of the IOC but I was under the impression that typically when the torch reached the host country, the only people who did the run were basically from the host country. For example, while the torch left Greece and China and traveled the world, there were other nationalities represented but once it hit the UK, I think it was only UK citizens who would carry from that moment.

Or am I wrong? Either way it was nice to see him I just would have expected someone else. I mean its not like I expected Princess Anne to carry the torch, but hey why not Princess Anne. She is a former Olympian!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I was about to ask the same question, Zonk. While there have been some non-Brits carrying the torch, it's tended to be people who, while not from the UK have a close relationship with the nation. Will.i.am carried the torch, but he's on The Voice UK and recently donated £500,000 to the Prince's Trust.

Frederik is a complete unknown in the UK, and I'm unaware of any particular close relationship with our nation. I mean, Prince Harry has put his life in harm's way and served on the front line in Afghanistan wearing the Queen's uniform, if they were looking for a prince surely that would've been a better choice? Or maybe the security constraints made that impossible?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I was under the impression that typically when the torch reached the host country, the only people who did the run were basically from the host country.
Prince Frederik carried the torch in 1994 at the winter Olympics in Lillehammer, he passed the torch to Prince Haakon of Norway who subsequently lit the olympic cauldron.

Whilst I agree Princess Anne and Prince Harry could have carried the torch, I am sure the notion came into being at some point and was either rejected or ignored. I thought it would have been nice to see Harry carry the torch out of BP this evening but alas it didn't.

We've had many people carry the torch who shouldn't have during its route through the United Kingdom, Will.i.am being one, singers Paloma Faith who ran a short route in platform heels this week and Eliza Doolittle, actor Rupert Grint aka Ron Weasley, rappers named Labrinth and Dizzie Rascal, several chefs have run different stages including Jamie Oliver, Sport Spice aka Mel C, Jedward ran in Dublin to name but a few who IMO don't represent this country in anyway to be truly proud of. We have real hero's, shouldn't they have been more represented?

Although I was surprised to learn that actors Sir Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy ran stages.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, finnish ice hockey player Saku Koivu, who is also a member of the Athletes' Commission of the IOC, carried the torch on Tuesday in London.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

You could argue about whether Rupert Grint or Paloma Faith should've been allowed to carry the torch, but at least they were British, and part of the arts scene in Britain on top of that. The crowds will have known who they were and reacted accordingly. Frederik has no profile here, and has no connection to Britain that I'm aware of, apart from being a distant relative of the royal family. Just an odd choice.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

No odder in my opinion than all those I listed, even Rupert and Paloma. In all fairness, why would you turn down an opportunity to run with the Olympic Torch wherever it's going. Using members of the IOC not from the UK has highlighted even further, whether intentional or not, that the Olympics is a world event, "we're all in this together", for better or worse perhaps.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

But London 2012 specifically decided to make the torch relay a primarily British event. Apart from the silly dalliance to Dublin, the torch has been in the UK the whole time, unlike during other Olympics where it's gone all over the world.

I'm not saying Frederik should've turned it down, simply that he was a strange choice in the first place. Neither British, nor a sportsman and with no personal link to the UK. There are just so, so many better candidates for the honour in my opinion.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Sofia and Infanta Pilar attend a reception to the Spanish Olympic Team participating in the Olympic Games "London 2012" in the Spanish Embassy in London

http://www.casareal.es/noticias/imag...impicos_02.jpg
http://www.casareal.es/noticias/imag...impicos_01.jpg

BelgaPicture - Category details
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
But London 2012 specifically decided to make the torch relay a primarily British event. Apart from the silly dalliance to Dublin, the torch has been in the UK the whole time, unlike during other Olympics where it's gone all over the world.

I'm not saying Frederik should've turned it down, simply that he was a strange choice in the first place. Neither British, nor a sportsman and with no personal link to the UK. There are just so, so many better candidates for the honour in my opinion.
Depending upon your definition of sportsman, in Olympic terms he isn't as he hasn't competed in a games nor won any medals, but he's definitely a sportsman. Just because it's been in the UK, doesn't mean it cannot be a world event, as evident from the runners who have carried the torch. Like I said no odder than picking Will.i.am who was born in LA, has done nothing except host a reality tv show that flopped, produced some rather catchy songs and happened to donate quite a bit of money only days after or before he ran with the torch. At least Frederik represents the IOC.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The discussion of Frederick carrying the Olympic torch made me wonder something.

Not knowing the layout of London at all, I was wondering just how close the torch relay came to where Friso is in the hospital. It would have been nice to see something such as the torch pausing for a moment there as kind of a gesture from the Dutch athletes that he's being remembered.

Maybe I'm way off base but its a thought I had.