Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Who's in the lead now? America or China? Dangit I know China is going to win again.
Apparently everyone is talking about Michael Phelps, I guess the reason he came back this time is to get a record number of medals.

Last edited:
Russia's #9...oh poor Russia, when they were the Soviet Union they dominated. Speaking of communist countries I wasn't aware North Korea competed, I don't know why i thought they wouldn't. South Korea is #3 Yay!

Who's in the lead now? America or China? Dangit I know China is going to win again.
Apparently everyone is talking about Michael Phelps, I guess the reason he came back this time is to get a record number of medals.

The USA and China are tied for the most gold medals (18 each), and the US has a slight lead in number of overall medals (USA has 37, China has 34). (Full medal standings here: 2012 Olympic Medal Standings | NBC Olympics ). Will be interesting to see how things end up - China had the advantage of having the last Summer Games at home (and apparently the host country tends to see about a 50% increase in medals over what they usually get; at least I think that's the stat I keep hearing). But China has also been putting a lot more effort into their training programs in the last few years.

So glad to see Team GB picking up more golds!

RANOMI! :dutchflag: Not her best time, but the swim was full of class. So stoked for her :clap:

The USA and China are tied for the most gold medals (18 each), and the US has a slight lead in number of overall medals (USA has 37, China has 34). (Full medal standings here: 2012 Olympic Medal Standings | NBC Olympics ). Will be interesting to see how things end up - China had the advantage of having the last Summer Games at home (and apparently the host country tends to see about a 50% increase in medals over what they usually get; at least I think that's the stat I keep hearing). But China has also been putting a lot more effort into their training programs in the last few years.

So glad to see Team GB picking up more golds!

China usuall racks up during the Diving, Archery, Ping Pong( Table tennis) & some swimming. Now that we are about to enter the 2nd week of the games & track & Field is about to start we will see.

China usuall racks up during the Diving, Archery, Ping Pong( Table tennis) & some swimming. Now that we are about to enter the 2nd week of the games & track & Field is about to start we will see.

Ah, thanks for that info. I'm not always well-versed in the athletic strengths that each country has (though I know the Chinese love their ping-pong!). I need to pay more attention to these sports during the non-Olympic competitions; just tuning in every 4 years gives me a lot of catching up to do!

yes, but team US is very good at athletics and various team sports all of which will be decided next week, so expect many more medals (although frankly.. in the pool US scored less than i had expected.. but then again in gymnastics US is great this year and China not so much..)

I'm trying to wrap my head around a home advantage idea. For me it is 50/50 with how that can help. I do wonder why China puts so much effort into training for these games, they are definitely a big deal but for the Govt. to get involved seems a little much. But I remember hearing stories of the extremes the Soviet Union went to win.
On MSNBC there is a game that looks like soccer but they are using their hands. Apparently it's just called handball; I just will never understand how some sports get in and others don't.

Last edited:
I'm trying to wrap my head around a home advantage idea. For me it is 50/50 with how that can help. I do wonder why China puts so much effort into training for these games, they are definitely a big deal but for the Govt. to get involved seems a little much. But I remember hearing stories of the extremes the Soviet Union went to win.
On MSNBC there is a game that looks like soccer but they are using their hands. Apparently it's just called handball; I just will never understand how some sports get in and others don't.

For me, China puts such importance on sport, and the Olympic Games in particular, because they don't have many internationally known actors, singers, authors etc. like countries in the west do. One of the biggest comparisons between the Beijing and London opening ceremonies was the music. Could anyone outside China name a Chinese rock band, or pop singer? The London ceremony was full of British music, tributes to British literature and film/TV. The Chinese know they're not going to win Oscars, Grammys, BAFTAs or whatever, so on the international stage, the Olympics are their substitute.

I don't get handball either, it's not a popular sport in the UK. Equally, we could never understand why baseball was in the Olympics when only the US and Japan play it seriously. Golf is coming in, as is rugby sevens, cricket might make it at some stage given that it is the second most popular sport in the world after football (soccer).

All the talk about China vs US in the medals table reminds me of 2008 when the US media had their team at the top of the table (based on total medals won) while the rest of the planet had China on top (based on most golds). So in the US media's POV a bronze medal is worth just as much as a gold. Quite amusing.

Large countries sometimes try to show their dominance (or their ability to compete on the world stage, in all senses) by showing their strength at the Olympics. In some ways it's politics as much as anything else (and certainly was during the Cold War). Having successful athletes is a way to prove your country has the money and infrastructure to train the athletes., and that you're a force to be reckoned with. Also, it's a very easy way to demonstrate power in a way that billions will see.

This is all speaking in general, of course. It's an attitude that only some countries have, I think. And, naturally, my perspective and understanding on the issue is thoroughly influenced by the fact that I'm an American. It's always interesting to me to see the how people from different countries relate to the Olympics. For example, I like that the livestream on the NBC website seems to be an Australian feed - I like hearing the commentary from a different perspective.

The 50% increase is largely due to countries, once having been successful in their bids, putting a great deal of money into identifying young athletes and making sure they have the best facilities, training, coaching, get to compete internationally leading up to the games etc. They do not want to be embaressed on their home turf. GB had such a development program to be ready for London and Canada had its "Own the Podium" program to be ready for Vancouver.
The real test is to see if they continue with the programs after the Games are done or if they cut back and the athletes are left to fend for themselves. Hopefully London will not be like Athens and let the beautiful new facilities rot and fall apart.

I can't say I don't admire China and seeing their athletes do so great makes my jaw drop. Though I admit I am rooting for Korea because I am in a KPop phase right now. At work we were watching gymnastics; I forgot what it's called, but it's when you run and flip over this big brown bar. I did gymnastics when I was young and I was so afraid of that thing. :D
About events that are added to the Olympics, why is figure skating done in winter? Yes...I know it's on ice, but I some of us at work were thinking that it's such a popular sport that it should be in the Olympics not just the Winter ones.
Edit
What's the medal count you guys are seeing? On google I see the US has 37, China has 34 and both countries are tied with 18 golds. But China is still ranked #1? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
[...]
Edit
What's the medal count you guys are seeing? On google I see the US has 37, China has 34 and both countries are tied with 18 golds. But China is still ranked #1? Am I missing something?

The medal tally is always determined by three things, in the following order:

1) number of gold medals
2) number of silver medals
3) number of bronze medals

With America and China, both have 18 gold medals. But China has 11 silver compared to America's 9, so they are given first place.

The total numbers of medals does not count for anything in regards to the official medal tally.

JessRulz said:
The medal tally is always determined by three things, in the following order:

1) number of gold medals
2) number of silver medals
3) number of bronze medals

With America and China, both have 18 gold medals. But China has 11 silver compared to America's 9, so they are given first place.

The total numbers of medals does not count for anything in regards to the official medal tally.

It does vary on how the count is being made. NBC and yahoo both count based on total number first,then prioritized by gold, silver and bronze. As of the end of Thursday,the US was 1st with 37 medals, same number of golds,but fewer silvers than China.

Japan was ahead of Germany in 3rd, despite Germany having more gold medals. Japan had more overall.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/index.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/medals.htmlq

XeniaCasaraghi said:
I can't say I don't admire China and seeing their athletes do so great makes my jaw drop. Though I admit I am rooting for Korea because I am in a KPop phase right now. At work we were watching gymnastics; I forgot what it's called, but it's when you run and flip over this big brown bar. I did gymnastics when I was young and I was so afraid of that thing. :D
About events that are added to the Olympics, why is figure skating done in winter? Yes...I know it's on ice, but I some of us at work were thinking that it's such a popular sport that it should be in the Olympics not just the Winter ones.
Edit

You may be referring to the vault (at least I think that's what you're describing). Maybe someone that knows a bit about gymnastics could correct me.

I don't get handball either, it's not a popular sport in the UK. Equally, we could never understand why baseball was in the Olympics when only the US and Japan play it seriously. Golf is coming in, as is rugby sevens, cricket might make it at some stage given that it is the second most popular sport in the world after football (soccer).

Handball is big in continental Europe, Germany, Spain, France, the nordic or baltic countries. When I lived in England I was surprised to learn that its almost unknown there (visa versa I had never heard of netball before).

To me, Olympics are defined by swimming & athletics. But still, its a platform for other sports to promote themselves, not a bad thing. What I dont get is stuff like woman's boxing or weightlifting.

Daria_S said:
You may be referring to the vault (at least I think that's what you're describing). Maybe someone that knows a bit about gymnastics could correct me.

Yes that's what it's called, in my mind II kept calling it pole vault but I knew that had to be wrong. The costumes the girls were wearing were pretty nonetheless.
As for the medal counts, now I understand why American media just goes by who has the most medals. Trying to figure out all these averages and who has more of which medal is kind of exhausting.
I never thought about how the obscure sports can be helped by the Olympics, makes me want to rethink my idea that sports i personally don't know about or that aren't popular should be eliminated. Plus those people involved in those sports can meet others like them.

Last edited:
XeniaCasaraghi said:
Yes that's what it's called, in my mind II kept calling it pole vault but I knew that had to be wrong. The costumes the girls were wearing were pretty nonetheless.
I never thought about how the obscure sports can be helped by the Olympics, makes me want to rethink my idea that sports i personally don't know about or that aren't popular should be eliminated. Plus those people involved in those sports can meet others like them.

Pole vault is a track and field event, athletes use a pole to vault over a bar.
As for obscure sports, yesterday GB won a gold medal in double trap shooting, first in 12 years, but a special temporary venue for the sport was built within a matter of weeks because athletes complained they weren't being included in the games. The counter argument being, nobody was that interested. The Olympics is a platform for the obscure, most funding for Paul Wilson came from the national lottery and a Dubai Sheikh but now i think he's going to be 'rolling' in offers. It's the same for sports funding for children, if we do well in a particularly sport it receives more government funding, if we don't it gets ignored.

I personally believe sports already popular such as football, cricket, rugby etc should be left out of the games.

Anna Watkins and Catherine Grainger get gold in women's double sculls!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Finnish cyclist Pia Sundstedt, who came 11th in Women's Time Trial on Wednesday, got married in the same evening.
She and her long-time boyfriend Olaf Schumacher cycled to the German House, got married there and cycled back. Pia and Olaf met at 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, were both competed. They live in Freiburg.
They had a very sporty outfits at the wedding, photos:
Pia Sunstedtin Olympiahäät | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi
They had their wedding party at West India Quay -restaurant.

Duke of Marmalade said:
What I dont get is stuff like woman's boxing or weightlifting.

While I personally hate boxing, I know that many people would object to women being shut out of certain events.

Finnish cyclist Pia Sundstedt, who came 11th in Women's Time Trial on Wednesday, got married in the same evening.
She and her long-time boyfriend Olaf Schumacher cycled to the German House, got married there and cycled back. Pia and Olaf met at 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, were both competed. They live in Freiburg.
They had a very sporty outfits at the wedding, photos:
Pia Sunstedtin Olympiahäät | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi
They had their wedding party at West India Quay -restaurant.
How sweet, thanks for sharing, LadyFinn! :flowers:
Good luck and all the happiness to the newly wed couple.

Anna Watkins and Catherine Grainger get gold in women's double sculls!!! :D

Congratulations! :clap:
That moved Britain to 4th place overall, and if they win just one more gold today, they'll be third (assuming, of course S. Korea doesn't win one either).

Ooh boo, I hate this man. Adelinde was scheduled at 15:11 according to the Olympic Games site so I thought I missed her. Turns out, when I start watching again, she's leaving the ring. She had the second highest score of the two days though, I'm happy!

Last edited:
A Russian and a Belorussian have been sent home for failed drug tests today.

The commentators said this is the first time there has been a woman competing from all countries.

Libya, Afghanistan and Iraq all sent female athletes too!

LaRae

It is now an IOC requirement that all countries include female athletes on their teams.

Gold for Team GB in Cycling and a new WR.

Back
Top Bottom