Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Jess Ennis just got gold for the heptathlon but I'm kinda confused.

Something must have been wrong with the athlete that came last she looked in serious pain. Now I'm looking forward to Mo that will be a real race.

Last edited:
She did just get gold. I'm so thrilled for her; she has been under more pressure than any British athlete at these Games. She deserves it!

:britflag: :britflag::britflag:

Congratulations to Jessica Ennis with her victory in Women's Heptathlon!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
She finished first in her Heat (the last, 4th one), adding 984 points to her 5971, meaning she comfortably won the Heptathlon with 6955 points.

Hers was the 4th Gold medal for Team GB today. :britflag:

Mo Farah just started the 10k. I'm not going to watch the whole 25/6 laps so I may miss the end.

Greg Rutherford is Olympic Champion in Long Jump, can we make it three golds in one night?

Last edited:
:previous:
Good luck to Mohamed Farah and Chris Thompson in Men's 10,000m.
Another Gold medal in store for Team GB could come from Greg Rutherford who is currently in the lead in Men's Long Jump.

Six Gold Medals in a day sounds better than four, doesn't it? :whistling:

Gold for GB in the long jump!!!! Unbelievable! Well done Greg Rutherford! This deserves another three of these:

:britflag: :britflag::britflag:

Oh, my - Greg Rutherford just won Men's Long Jump! :clap:
That means 5 gold medals in one day, Team GB. Way to go!

I can only say...
Ennis gooooooooooooooooooooooold! So deserving!

No-one saw Greg Rutherford as a potential gold medalist. I'm truly flabbergasted.

What a night for William and Kate to decide to go to the athletics.

Well done, Team GB with five gold medals in one day :britflag:. I'm really enjoying the updates on here. My Internet's too slow, so I can't watch these events.

No-one saw Greg Rutherford as a potential gold medalist. I'm truly flabbergasted.

What a night for William and Kate to decide to go to the athletics.
You know what's another amazing thing about Greg's achievement? His best (and victorious) result was 8.31, but he would have won with his second-best result of 8.21. And even his third-best jump - 8.14 - would have landed him on the second spot. Now that's really impressive. :britflag:
Greg is only 25, this is only his first Olympic Games - definitely a man to watch in future.

Last edited:
:bounce::clap: bouncy claps for GREAT Team GB

Did Mo just get gold people? Early morning has forced me to retire but my mum's shouting like mad.

I may spontaneously combust.

Now that's definitely someone who deserves their gold!!! Well Done Mo, on to the 5k ;)

Mo Farah brings 6th GOLD of the day to Team GB. :britflag:
I'm speechless. Congratulations to all Brits here -absolutely fantastic result!

I cannot believe what I've seen tonight. Just so, so proud of our athletes, and all of Team GB. What a night.

Thank you Lee Z and NGalitzine for taking the time to explain the diving to me. You were much more helpful than google.
Last night NBC talked about 1996 gymnastics team and Carrie landing the vault. It's hilarious that that is one of the lasting images I have of any Olympics.

GB Footballers out in the quarter finals. I shall stay calm and not give vent to my views on overpaid, self-interested footballers who can't perform either for their country or for money.

Oops - might have let slip there!

If the last week has shown, cepe, it's that our country is not lacking in role models, very few of whom play professional football.

I agree. Cant type cearly as I'm a bit waterlogged having watched Jesica Ennis receive her medal. I hope that people do take on new role models from a range of sport, not just footbalers.

What a memorable night for British Athletics. I really hope Murray can win tomorrow.

China's Medal Winning Events
Swimming
Weightlifting
Diving
Badminton
Shooting
Table Tennis
Fencing
Trampoline
Track and Field
Artistic Gymnastics

Korea's Medal Events
Archery
Shooting
Judo
Swimming
Fencing

Quite crazy how one hour Korea is ahead and I can't find Japan anywhere, and the next Japan is in the top 5.

:previous:
Japan is currently on 14th place, if ranked by Gold, having won 2 gold, 10 silver and 12 bronze medals.
However, by Total Medals count, Japan is 5th (after the United States, China, the United Kingdom and Russia) with 24 medals.

I'd really like to mention Kazakhstan separately. The country is currently on 8th spot (by gold medal count), having won 5 gold medals. They don't have any other medals - just those 5. Quite an impressive achievement and my big congratulations to the country and its fantastic athletes.

Last edited:
Congrats to Kazakhstan! But I actually saw a second ago that they were ahead of Russia despite Russia having 28 medals.
Going to go see what Kazakhstan's medals are in....back now; it's weightlifting and cycling road.

Last edited:
epic night for GB really really impressive :)
sooo happy for Mohammed Farah he did well and deserved the gold...he have cute family too.
what happy to Tennis Men final Federrer Vs Murray? did i miss it?:whistling:

Congrats to Kazakhstan! But I actually saw a second ago that they were ahead of Russia despite Russia having 28 medals.
Going to go see what Kazakhstan's medals are in....back now; it's weightlifting and cycling road.
That's because all 5 of Kazakhstan's medals are gold, but only 3 of Russia's 28 are. Usually, a team's ranking is determined by gold count, which is why Kazakhstan is ahead of Russia, as are South Korea, North Korea, France, Germany, and Italy - countries that have less medals (in total) than Russia but more golds.

I have developed a (friendly) medal-envy of Kazakhstan; wish our athletes were as good.

Back
Top Bottom