The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
Who's in the lead now? America or China? Dangit I know China is going to win again.
Apparently everyone is talking about Michael Phelps, I guess the reason he came back this time is to get a record number of medals.
__________________

__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 PM
PrincessofEurope's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,816
London 2012 Olympics: Peter Wilson, Etienne Stott and Tim Baillie win gold for Team GB | Mail Online great day for team GB
__________________

__________________
This is the stuff of fairytales

Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:16 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
Russia's #9...oh poor Russia, when they were the Soviet Union they dominated. Speaking of communist countries I wasn't aware North Korea competed, I don't know why i thought they wouldn't. South Korea is #3 Yay!
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Who's in the lead now? America or China? Dangit I know China is going to win again.
Apparently everyone is talking about Michael Phelps, I guess the reason he came back this time is to get a record number of medals.
The USA and China are tied for the most gold medals (18 each), and the US has a slight lead in number of overall medals (USA has 37, China has 34). (Full medal standings here: 2012 Olympic Medal Standings | NBC Olympics ). Will be interesting to see how things end up - China had the advantage of having the last Summer Games at home (and apparently the host country tends to see about a 50% increase in medals over what they usually get; at least I think that's the stat I keep hearing). But China has also been putting a lot more effort into their training programs in the last few years.

So glad to see Team GB picking up more golds!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,240
RANOMI! Not her best time, but the swim was full of class. So stoked for her
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Panther2000's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
The USA and China are tied for the most gold medals (18 each), and the US has a slight lead in number of overall medals (USA has 37, China has 34). (Full medal standings here: 2012 Olympic Medal Standings | NBC Olympics ). Will be interesting to see how things end up - China had the advantage of having the last Summer Games at home (and apparently the host country tends to see about a 50% increase in medals over what they usually get; at least I think that's the stat I keep hearing). But China has also been putting a lot more effort into their training programs in the last few years.

So glad to see Team GB picking up more golds!
China usuall racks up during the Diving, Archery, Ping Pong( Table tennis) & some swimming. Now that we are about to enter the 2nd week of the games & track & Field is about to start we will see.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000 View Post
China usuall racks up during the Diving, Archery, Ping Pong( Table tennis) & some swimming. Now that we are about to enter the 2nd week of the games & track & Field is about to start we will see.
Ah, thanks for that info. I'm not always well-versed in the athletic strengths that each country has (though I know the Chinese love their ping-pong!). I need to pay more attention to these sports during the non-Olympic competitions; just tuning in every 4 years gives me a lot of catching up to do!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Heerlen, Netherlands
Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther2000 View Post
China usuall racks up during the Diving, Archery, Ping Pong( Table tennis) & some swimming. Now that we are about to enter the 2nd week of the games & track & Field is about to start we will see.
yes, but team US is very good at athletics and various team sports all of which will be decided next week, so expect many more medals (although frankly.. in the pool US scored less than i had expected.. but then again in gymnastics US is great this year and China not so much..)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
I'm trying to wrap my head around a home advantage idea. For me it is 50/50 with how that can help. I do wonder why China puts so much effort into training for these games, they are definitely a big deal but for the Govt. to get involved seems a little much. But I remember hearing stories of the extremes the Soviet Union went to win.
On MSNBC there is a game that looks like soccer but they are using their hands. Apparently it's just called handball; I just will never understand how some sports get in and others don't.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around a home advantage idea. For me it is 50/50 with how that can help. I do wonder why China puts so much effort into training for these games, they are definitely a big deal but for the Govt. to get involved seems a little much. But I remember hearing stories of the extremes the Soviet Union went to win.
On MSNBC there is a game that looks like soccer but they are using their hands. Apparently it's just called handball; I just will never understand how some sports get in and others don't.
For me, China puts such importance on sport, and the Olympic Games in particular, because they don't have many internationally known actors, singers, authors etc. like countries in the west do. One of the biggest comparisons between the Beijing and London opening ceremonies was the music. Could anyone outside China name a Chinese rock band, or pop singer? The London ceremony was full of British music, tributes to British literature and film/TV. The Chinese know they're not going to win Oscars, Grammys, BAFTAs or whatever, so on the international stage, the Olympics are their substitute.

I don't get handball either, it's not a popular sport in the UK. Equally, we could never understand why baseball was in the Olympics when only the US and Japan play it seriously. Golf is coming in, as is rugby sevens, cricket might make it at some stage given that it is the second most popular sport in the world after football (soccer).

All the talk about China vs US in the medals table reminds me of 2008 when the US media had their team at the top of the table (based on total medals won) while the rest of the planet had China on top (based on most golds). So in the US media's POV a bronze medal is worth just as much as a gold. Quite amusing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 08-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm trying to wrap my head around a home advantage idea. For me it is 50/50 with how that can help. I do wonder why China puts so much effort into training for these games, they are definitely a big deal but for the Govt. to get involved seems a little much. But I remember hearing stories of the extremes the Soviet Union went to win.
On MSNBC there is a game that looks like soccer but they are using their hands. Apparently it's just called handball; I just will never understand how some sports get in and others don't.
Large countries sometimes try to show their dominance (or their ability to compete on the world stage, in all senses) by showing their strength at the Olympics. In some ways it's politics as much as anything else (and certainly was during the Cold War). Having successful athletes is a way to prove your country has the money and infrastructure to train the athletes., and that you're a force to be reckoned with. Also, it's a very easy way to demonstrate power in a way that billions will see.

This is all speaking in general, of course. It's an attitude that only some countries have, I think. And, naturally, my perspective and understanding on the issue is thoroughly influenced by the fact that I'm an American. It's always interesting to me to see the how people from different countries relate to the Olympics. For example, I like that the livestream on the NBC website seems to be an Australian feed - I like hearing the commentary from a different perspective.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 08-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
The 50% increase is largely due to countries, once having been successful in their bids, putting a great deal of money into identifying young athletes and making sure they have the best facilities, training, coaching, get to compete internationally leading up to the games etc. They do not want to be embaressed on their home turf. GB had such a development program to be ready for London and Canada had its "Own the Podium" program to be ready for Vancouver.
The real test is to see if they continue with the programs after the Games are done or if they cut back and the athletes are left to fend for themselves. Hopefully London will not be like Athens and let the beautiful new facilities rot and fall apart.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
I can't say I don't admire China and seeing their athletes do so great makes my jaw drop. Though I admit I am rooting for Korea because I am in a KPop phase right now. At work we were watching gymnastics; I forgot what it's called, but it's when you run and flip over this big brown bar. I did gymnastics when I was young and I was so afraid of that thing.
About events that are added to the Olympics, why is figure skating done in winter? Yes...I know it's on ice, but I some of us at work were thinking that it's such a popular sport that it should be in the Olympics not just the Winter ones.
Edit
What's the medal count you guys are seeing? On google I see the US has 37, China has 34 and both countries are tied with 18 golds. But China is still ranked #1? Am I missing something?
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 08-03-2012, 02:48 AM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 15,390
At the moment I don't know what to think about sports in China and Chinese athletes, these articles in Daily Mail give a lot to think about:
Ye Shiwen - forging of the Mandarin mermaid: How Chinese children are brutalised into future Olympians | Mail Online
How China trains its children to win gold - standing on a girl's legs as young boys hang from bars | Mail Online
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:14 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
[...]
Edit
What's the medal count you guys are seeing? On google I see the US has 37, China has 34 and both countries are tied with 18 golds. But China is still ranked #1? Am I missing something?
The medal tally is always determined by three things, in the following order:

1) number of gold medals
2) number of silver medals
3) number of bronze medals

With America and China, both have 18 gold medals. But China has 11 silver compared to America's 9, so they are given first place.

The total numbers of medals does not count for anything in regards to the official medal tally.
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 AM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz

The medal tally is always determined by three things, in the following order:

1) number of gold medals
2) number of silver medals
3) number of bronze medals

With America and China, both have 18 gold medals. But China has 11 silver compared to America's 9, so they are given first place.

The total numbers of medals does not count for anything in regards to the official medal tally.
It does vary on how the count is being made. NBC and yahoo both count based on total number first,then prioritized by gold, silver and bronze. As of the end of Thursday,the US was 1st with 37 medals, same number of golds,but fewer silvers than China.

Japan was ahead of Germany in 3rd, despite Germany having more gold medals. Japan had more overall.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/medals/index.html
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/medals.htmlq
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 7,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
I can't say I don't admire China and seeing their athletes do so great makes my jaw drop. Though I admit I am rooting for Korea because I am in a KPop phase right now. At work we were watching gymnastics; I forgot what it's called, but it's when you run and flip over this big brown bar. I did gymnastics when I was young and I was so afraid of that thing.
About events that are added to the Olympics, why is figure skating done in winter? Yes...I know it's on ice, but I some of us at work were thinking that it's such a popular sport that it should be in the Olympics not just the Winter ones.
Edit
What's the medal count you guys are seeing? On google I see the US has 37, China has 34 and both countries are tied with 18 golds. But China is still ranked #1? Am I missing something?
You may be referring to the vault (at least I think that's what you're describing). Maybe someone that knows a bit about gymnastics could correct me.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I don't get handball either, it's not a popular sport in the UK. Equally, we could never understand why baseball was in the Olympics when only the US and Japan play it seriously. Golf is coming in, as is rugby sevens, cricket might make it at some stage given that it is the second most popular sport in the world after football (soccer).
Handball is big in continental Europe, Germany, Spain, France, the nordic or baltic countries. When I lived in England I was surprised to learn that its almost unknown there (visa versa I had never heard of netball before).

To me, Olympics are defined by swimming & athletics. But still, its a platform for other sports to promote themselves, not a bad thing. What I dont get is stuff like woman's boxing or weightlifting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S

You may be referring to the vault (at least I think that's what you're describing). Maybe someone that knows a bit about gymnastics could correct me.
Yes that's what it's called, in my mind II kept calling it pole vault but I knew that had to be wrong. The costumes the girls were wearing were pretty nonetheless.
As for the medal counts, now I understand why American media just goes by who has the most medals. Trying to figure out all these averages and who has more of which medal is kind of exhausting.
I never thought about how the obscure sports can be helped by the Olympics, makes me want to rethink my idea that sports i personally don't know about or that aren't popular should be eliminated. Plus those people involved in those sports can meet others like them.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi

Yes that's what it's called, in my mind II kept calling it pole vault but I knew that had to be wrong. The costumes the girls were wearing were pretty nonetheless.
I never thought about how the obscure sports can be helped by the Olympics, makes me want to rethink my idea that sports i personally don't know about or that aren't popular should be eliminated. Plus those people involved in those sports can meet others like them.
Pole vault is a track and field event, athletes use a pole to vault over a bar.
As for obscure sports, yesterday GB won a gold medal in double trap shooting, first in 12 years, but a special temporary venue for the sport was built within a matter of weeks because athletes complained they weren't being included in the games. The counter argument being, nobody was that interested. The Olympics is a platform for the obscure, most funding for Paul Wilson came from the national lottery and a Dubai Sheikh but now i think he's going to be 'rolling' in offers. It's the same for sports funding for children, if we do well in a particularly sport it receives more government funding, if we don't it gets ignored.

I personally believe sports already popular such as football, cricket, rugby etc should be left out of the games.

Anna Watkins and Catherine Grainger get gold in women's double sculls!!!
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit the hague wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]