The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
It seems to me that they should be removed entirely.
They should be removed from the London games entirely and not be eligible to compete in future Olympic games. If blatant cheating doesn't get you kicked out for good then what will?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Commoner

Here are some photos of the teams... :)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...81588373_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...27700507_n.jpg

Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 AM
Aristocracy

The thing about the Chinese swimmer is that the Chinese have doped before and been caught. So it's only natural when they have a swimmer suddenly shaving huge amounts off her personal best, to think "oh, they've found a new way to beat the doping tests". Why doesn't the same thing happen when a US or Aussie swimmer accomplishes the same feat? Well, frankly, neither of those countries have a history of doping like the Chinese or the East Germans back in the 70s & 80s.

Beyond that, the Chinese have, as in this new incident with the badminton teams illustrates, seem to have a "win at all costs" mentality that rubs the wrong way the people who do play fair and don't 1) dope, 2) throw matches, 3) fake birth certificates, and 4) any other form of cheating.

I grew up watching the Olympics during the tail end of the Cold War. I don't think, with the exception of the East German women's swimming program, there were any stronger allegations against the Soviets or any other satellite nations cheating than there were about any western nations. It was always horrifying no matter where the athlete came from (Ben Johnson, anyone?). The Chinese, on the other hand, seem to have a been on the receiving end of a lot of allegations, of a lot of different forms of cheating, and so, again, it's only natural, in my opinion, to wonder, with Ye Shiwen, if there is some doping going on. Fair or not, the Chinese have brought this on themselves.

And to further illustrate my point... Anyone watching the Women's Gymnastics should take a close look at pictures of He Kexin this year compared to Beijing. Wanna try and fly the idea that she wasn't underage 4 years ago and using faked birth documentation? Please. I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you if you still buy those particular lies.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Can you exclude a country for numerous cheating scandals?
I admit I love watching the Chinese and other Asian countries because they show what hard work and endless dedication can get you. But there is a difference between endless work and dedication that other countries can't compete with, and just outright cheating.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Serene Highness

I highly doubt Ye is cheating though. Like I said before, it's not the first time a teenager shows huge improvement in just a few months. It's very much possible.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought id show you some pictures of what the olympic park looks like! Here's various shots of the park, the volley arena and the team gb vs Russia womens basketball yesterday and team gb vs Australia mens volleyball 2 days ago looked like ! And of course an up and close picture of the orbit. Enjoy!

And congrats to the rowing ladies and Bradley wiggins who won gold for team gb! So proud of them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2557198280.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	286225   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2007342170.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	286226   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4059887714.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	286227   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2753339034.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	286228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-524521841.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	286229   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-80798003.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	286230   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2870551121.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	286231   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-868473574.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	286232  

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

There's a guy who is constantly on the BBC think he's called Ian Thorpe he's a swimmer and when this came out, he said that within a few months he'd gone from swimming a 1:46 to a 1:41. The Chinese swimmer hasn't tested positive for any drugs, so what is the issue?

As for the badminton issue that was a flaw in the organisation of the tournament itself, they never actually broke any IOC rules they were thrown out for 'playing the game'.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Lovely pictures, thank you carlota!

But my, I really dislike the ArcelorMittal Orbit; surely something more pleasant for eyes could have been constructed?
Hell, I wouldn't mind re-creation of the infamous Skylon Tower; that one, at least, had an intrigue to it (no visible means of support) and clean forms.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

A photo gallery from finnish photo agency Lehtikuva
"The athletes seem to be always hungry, as they try to eat the medals"
Urheilijoilla on ilmeisesti aina nälkä kun mitallit pitää syödä! | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi

Great "superphotos" from Expressen, click on image and browse through 360 degrees by moving the mouse.
Superzoom | Expressen | Senaste nytt - Sport Fotboll Hockey
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There's a guy who is constantly on the BBC think he's called Ian Thorpe he's a swimmer and when this came out, he said that within a few months he'd gone from swimming a 1:46 to a 1:41. The Chinese swimmer hasn't tested positive for any drugs, so what is the issue?

As for the badminton issue that was a flaw in the organisation of the tournament itself, they never actually broke any IOC rules they were thrown out for 'playing the game'.
That's right, I qouted Ian on the previous page. He dropped 5 seconds within a year as a teen.
And if I'm correct, the Chinese OC has been very anti-doping and extremely strict on their athletes.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Gold for GB in shooting!!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Great! Congratulations to Peter Wilson!
More happy news for Team GB: gold and silver in canoeing after Tim Baillie and Etienne Stott won Olympic C2 canoe slalom gold ahead of countrymen David Florence and Richard Hounslow.

Really good day for Team GB - and it's not over yet.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Great! Congratulations to Peter Wilson!
Princess Anne and her husband were watching, good for GB. Daniel and Carl Philip were also there. Silver for swedish Håkan Dahlby, who was the best man in the final.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Not the best, he never won
Old 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Another medal for Team GB: Gemma Gibbons just won silver in women's 78kg Judo.
Kayla Harrison of the United States won gold.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Frankly, trying to loose period is cheating( eventhough you are trying to loose). Hence, by loosing they would get better spots in up coming matches. Throwing a game(s) is cheating. What is next for the Olympics. Throwing games in order to get paid and to play the games fair is square is an oath that they take fixing their matches is Cheating. They should be banned PERIOD from all of these types of tourments.

They were warned many times and continued to do this. They had their chance. What gets me is that not only 1 team was doing this but, 4 teams. This is wright up there with STERIOD USE to most.

Congradulations to the Gabby( THE FLYING SQUIREL) US Gold Medal All Around Medalist
Old 08-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Courtier

Women's gymnastics :spoiler alert:

Gabby Douglas takes home gold!! Ali Raisman got shut out of medals on a tie-breaker.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations to Gabby!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Nobility

I'm so happy for Gabby. Not only is she an excellent gymnast (obviously), but she has such a wonderful spirit about her.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
That's right, I qouted Ian on the previous page. He dropped 5 seconds within a year as a teen.
yes, former swimming great Francisca van Almsick mentioned the same thing (she's an expert-commentator on german tv); she won her first olympic medals at age 14 and seriously improved her times at that age..