The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

One of my favourite songs and Team GB's heroes - what could be better?
LOVE that video; it's hilarious!

Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

I loved how Kobe Bryant and spanish Pau Gasol hugged for a long time after the basketball final. They have both told many times that they are very good friends.
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...94517997_n.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Ca5b6/x610.jpg

Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Now that all the medals have been awarded, here is the final Teams' Standing:
1. USA: 46 Gold - 29 Silver - 29 Bronze = 104 Total
2. China: 38 Gold - 27 Silver - 22 Bronze = 87 Total
3. United Kingdom: 29 Gold - 17 Silver - 19 Bronze = 65 Total
4. Russia: 24 Gold - 25 Silver - 33 Bronze = 82 Total
5. South Korea: 13 Gold - 8 Silver - 7 Bronze = 28 Total

- Compared to the Beijing Olympics, the United States improved their gold medals count (46 vs. 36), but earned 6 medals less (104 vs. 110).
- Compared to the Beijing Olympics, China showed weaker results, earning only 38 gold medals (vs. 51) and 87 medals in total (vs. 100).
- Great Britain showed their best result in over a century. They earned 29 gold medals (vs. 19) and a total of 65 (vs. 47), as well as the third overall spot.
- Despite coming 4th, Russia actually improved compared to Beijing as well. They earned 24 gold medals (vs. 23) and a total of 82 (vs. 73).
- South Korea is slightly behind their Beijing record, earning the same number of gold medals (13) but with lesser overall medal count (28 vs. 31).

In the first pages of this thread, some asked whether athletes from British Overseas territories could compete for the Team GB. The answer is yes. Apart from the Home Nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland), athletes from the Crown Dependencies (Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey), as well as all but three of the British Overseas Territories could take part (the three exceptions are the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands and Bermuda, who all have their Olympic Committees). This year, athletes from outside the Home Nations included Mark Cavendish and Peter Kennaugh (Isle of Man), Georgina Cassar (Gibraltar), Heather Watson and Carl Hester (Guernsey), and Shara Proctor (Anguilla).
Carl Hester
from Guernsey won gold in Team Dressage, while Peter Kennaugh from Isle of Man took gold in Team Pursuit (cycling).
Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I might make some angry with this, but I am going by the ranking of overall medals, not amount of gold medals. If Russia 66 vs Gbs 65 I would give #3 to the later. But 82 vs 65, which is almost 20 ahead! I have to give agree with NBC and give #3 to Russia. I guess thats just me being an American again.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Why should anyone be angry with you politely expressing your opinion?
Ranking by gold is more accepting, but some do rank by overall medal count, so it's basically down to personal preference.

Our greatest Games: The record-breaking fortnight for Team GB that saw the men and women clinch 29 Olympic gold medals
Quote:
Britain's athletes at the Olympics did not just exceed expectations, they smashed them, and in doing so a series of previously little-known athletes became household names. The total of 65 medals, including 29 golds, is the best tally recorded by Britain at any Olympics since 1908 - and 18 more than won in Beijing four years ago.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Third place in the medal table is actually quite remarkable for GB. We had a really great Games in Beijing, and a lot of people (me included) worried that we'd peaked 4 years too soon and that we'd struggle to match, let alone beat the Beijing result.

It's all the more remarkable when I think of all the GB athletes who were considered almost certainties for gold and yet got no medal at all - Mark Cavendish, Philips Idowu, Kerri-Anne Payne, Helen Jenkins etc. I hope Mark Cavendish makes a return to the track for Rio 2016, as he deserves a gold medal and is really the only top-class British cyclist not to have one.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations to the US, the athletes and the coaches. 104 medals, definitely something to be proud of.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi
I might make some angry with this, but I am going by the ranking of overall medals, not amount of gold medals. If Russia 66 vs Gbs 65 I would give #3 to the later. But 82 vs 65, which is almost 20 ahead! I have to give agree with NBC and give #3 to Russia. I guess thats just me being an American again.
I am with you on this. I've gone with total # of medals vs how many gold and I think that's how CTV here in Canada does it (I think!). 66 medals is more than 65 medals irregardless of how many golds either team have. Nevertheless, both are great acheivements!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Heir Apparent

A Belorussian shot putter has had her gold medal taken away because she failed her drug test. I guess she took her presidents message to heart when he told the Belorus Olympic team that winning was the only thing that counts.
Her gold medal now goes to NZ.
Drug test samples are retained for 8 years and will continue to be retested as testing methods improve.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
A Belorussian shot putter has had her gold medal taken away because she failed her drug test. I guess she took her presidents message to heart when he told the Belorus Olympic team that winning was the only thing that counts.
Her gold medal now goes to NZ.
Drug test samples are retained for 8 years and will continue to be retested as testing methods improve.
Now this wasn't a surprise...
Belarus shot putter Nadzeya Ostapchuk stripped of Olympic gold for doping - CBS News
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I guess that means she will lose out on the sausage deal too ...
Old 08-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

And now the race to be first to claim asylum: Four members of Congo's Olympic team go missing as five Cameroon boxers plead to stay in Britain | Mail Online
Old 08-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Issues, issues, issues;
Michael Phelps: Swimmer in hot water after Louis Vuitton ad is leaked before end of Olympics | Mail Online
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Issues, issues, issues;
Certain two facts on this post unequivocally the best we have all had.If the photos were in fact leaked intentionally by the brand,the sporting hero will face penalties.Everything in this link is completely true!