The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't think neither Bolt nor Phelps are 'legends', they run fast and swim fast. Bolt has a better persona than Phelps who constantly looks like he's shutting the world out. And his face just looks dumb. Bolt plays to the crowd and shows off but he shows real personality before a race by chatting to people. I believe Bolt is arrogant but when I saw him run last night, almost every 2 or 3 seconds he glanced left to see where Blake was, I believe he was genuinely worried about his race.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't think neither Bolt nor Phelps are 'legends', they run fast and swim fast. Bolt has a better persona than Phelps who constantly looks like he's shutting the world out. And his face just looks dumb. Bolt plays to the crowd and shows off but he shows real personality before a race by chatting to people. I believe Bolt is arrogant but when I saw him run last night, almost every 2 or 3 seconds he glanced left to see where Blake was, I believe he was genuinely worried about his race.
My goodness, I really don't think his looks (or his perceived intelligence) should have anything to do with what kind of athlete he is. Same goes for anyone competing - they're there to compete, not win a beauty pageant.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

I see nothing arrogant in Usain Bolt. When you look him chatting with the young volunteers when he takes off his clothes before the race, when you look at him chatting with his jamaican teammates - and also with e.g sprinters from USA, he is very friendly. He enjoys what he does, he loves to perform, and he loves to be the best. There is nothing wrong in it. And yesterday, he could have ran faster, but he didn't have to, because he knew many meters before the end that he would win the race. No one can run the last meters like him.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
Honestly, I haven't seen anything in the U.S. media that was really concentrated on "beating China" (or anyone else) overall. I mean, in the coverage I've seen, they just show the medal tables as they are, with out much comment. (Though, like I've said, that's just from what I've seen).

My main complaint of the NBC coverage that I've seen (other than the fact that air very few of the major events live) is that they mostly just concentrate on US athletes. There's not much trashing of the other teams or anything, they mostly just ignore them! Though, of course, people like Usain Bolt get plenty of coverage, and Oscar Pistorius has gotten quite a bit as well.
That's basically all I've seen too w/r/t medal counts in the media.

My main complaint with NBC is all the commercials. One night when I was watching gymnastics, we saw one gymnast perform and then they cut to a commercial--over and over again. It was frustrating.

I haven't noticed trashing either. They do focus more on U.S. athletes, but I think that's natural--especially since a lot are in a position to medal. I don't mind the focus on U.S. athletes, but there have been times when I would've liked more time to be spent on some of the other teams competing- though they do a relatively good job of covering the ones in medal contention. They do have limited time though. I suppose if they cut back on a few commercials....

Quote:

BBM--Is it really necessary to go there? I don't think he comes across that way, but that's not even the point.

As for Bolt's persona: I guess it depends on what you like in an athlete. He LOVES attention. So, he plays to the crowd, and he gets it. I don't think Michael Phelps is an attention seeker--and I like that about him. It comes down to personal taste.

But--we do agree on one thing: Bolt's arrogance. Up until last night, it didn't really bother me. His personality made it work. But, he opened his mouth one too many times last night.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Between the swimmers, divers, gymnasts and rowers, I tell you, way to make a woman's heart flutter!

I think Usain has great character. He engages with his audience and loves the theatre. He's a crowd pleaser, but I think he gets as much from it as they do. Yes I suppose you could consider him arrogant, but tell me of an athlete who is not arrogant to whatever degree? I think Phelps is incredibly arrogant but he's a wonderful athlete.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
Between the swimmers, divers, gymnasts and rowers, I tell you, way to make a woman's heart flutter!
Yep. That's been another plus of watching the Olympics: Looking at all these fit, good-looking men.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9

BBM--Is it really necessary to go there? I don't think he comes across that way, but that's not even the point.

As for Bolt's persona: I guess it depends on what you like in an athlete. He LOVES attention. So, he plays to the crowd, and he gets it. I don't think Michael Phelps is an attention seeker--and I like that about him. It comes down to personal taste.

But--we do agree on one thing: Bolt's arrogance. Up until last night, it didn't really bother me. His personality made it work. But, he opened his mouth one too many times last night.
He looks dumb, never said Phelps was dumb. There's a difference. I don't think it's about what you like in an athlete it's about if the personality fits the person. Bolt's arrogance, his humour and his showmanship fits him. I said he was arrogant and he has every right to be, everyone has the right to be arrogant when they win a gold medal so play up to it, others don't. I disagree with you that it is a bad thing.

Bolt, Blake and Weir all made lovely personal comments about the time they've spent in Birmingham training in the past months, I found it very sincere and warming.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I don't think it's about what you like in an athlete it's about if the personality fits the person. Bolt's arrogance, his humour and his showmanship fits him. I said he was arrogant and he has every right to be, everyone has the right to be arrogant when they win a gold medal so play up to it, others don't. I disagree with you that it is a bad thing.

Bolt, Blake and Weir all made lovely personal comments about the time they've spent in Birmingham training in the past months, I found it very sincere and warming.
Well--I do think his "personality fits the person" fairly well. It certainly plays well with a lot of people. But...it doesn't play well with me. I think it's kind of annoying and over-the-top. But, I know I'm in the minority on that one. Plus, he always seemed over-hyped to me.

Beyond being a great athlete, from what I've heard, Bolt has done some very nice things for Jamaica, which is wonderful.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Irish Olympic Sailing Commentary - That Video Site

Don't know if this is for real but a different take on sailing.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Well--I do think his "personality fits the person" fairly well. It certainly plays well with a lot of people. But...it doesn't play well with me. I think it's kind of annoying and over-the-top. But, I know I'm in the minority on that one. Plus, he always seemed over-hyped to me.

Beyond being a great athlete, from what I've heard, Bolt has done some very nice things for Jamaica, which is wonderful.
can understand that the 'theatre' is not everyone's cup of tea :-) but overhyped? Bolt shattered world-records with differences that i thought would have taken decades to reach... the distance between him and the rest at the 100m 4 years ago was unheard of in a sport as well-developed as the 100m.. that's where the hype began, and when he also scored at the world championships .... well, he seems to always deliver when it is needed and that is very rare...
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
can understand that the 'theatre' is not everyone's cup of tea :-) but overhyped? Bolt shattered world-records with differences that i thought would have taken decades to reach... the distance between him and the rest at the 100m 4 years ago was unheard of in a sport as well-developed as the 100m.. that's where the hype began, and when he also scored at the world championships .... well, he seems to always deliver when it is needed and that is very rare...
Yes, I think he is. Sometimes, you'd think he was the first to break a world record in an impressive fashion or to repeat a gold the way people talk about him.

That being said, I've never given any real thought to the 100m and 200m races, except every 4 years.

I still think he's a great athlete.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Yes, I think he is. Sometimes, you'd think he was the first to break a world record in an impressive fashion or to repeat a gold the way people talk about him.
:-) okay, i get that :-)

Yesterday, for me the biggest achievement yesterday was David Rudisha's 800m worldrecord; not that he never did that before, but on that distance in the last 30 years only 3 people held that world-record, so whenever that gets broken, it's always exiting :-)
Old 08-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

Yeaaah baby, the Dutch hockey ladies won gold! Tomorrow the men.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

London 2012: Synchronised swimmers bring beauty to the pool as they compete for Olympic title | Mail Online

The Russian team performance video // KP.RU
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I just love synchronised swimming; the girls make it look so effortless and easy, when in fact it has to be incredibly demanding, especially the Team competitions.
Russian teams have dominated the sport for as long as I can remember - and rightly so. They usually show phenomenal performances, and this Olympic Games haven't been an exception so far. The Spanish team was brilliant too, and the Chinese have improved greatly.

On related news, today was a pretty good day for Team GB. No gold medals, but plenty of silver and bronze ones:
- Anthony Ogogo won bronze in Boxing (Men's Middle, 75kg)
- Muhammad Lutalo won bronze in Taekwondo (Men's -80kg - defeating, incidentally, Armenia's Arman Yeremyan)
- Great Britain won bronze in hockey (first medal in many, many years)
- Great Britain won silver in Sailing (Men's 470)
- Great Britain won another silver in Sailing (this time, Women's 470)

Team Standings:
1. USA: 41 Gold - 26 Silver - 27 Bronze = 94 Total
2. China: 37 Gold - 25 Silver - 19 Bronze = 81 Total
3. United Kingdom: 25 Gold - 15 Silver - 17 Bronze = 57 Total
4. Russia: 15 Gold - 21 Silver - 27 Bronze = 63 Total
5. South Korea: 13 Gold - 7 Silver - 7 Bronze = 27 Total
6. Germany: 10 Gold - 18 Silver - 14 Bronze = 42 Total
7. France: 9 Gold - 9 Silver - 12 Bronze = 28 Total
8. Hungary: 8 Gold - 4 Silver - 3 Bronze = 15 Total
9. Australia: 7 Gold - 14 Silver - 10 Bronze = 31 Total
10. Italy: 7 Gold - 6 Silver - 8 Bronze = 21 Total
11 The Netherlands: 6 Gold - 5 Silver - 8 Bronze = 19 Total
12. Kazakhstan: 6 Gold - 0 Silver - 4 Bronze = 10 Total
13. Japan: 5 Gold - 14 Silver - 16 Bronze = 35 Total
14. Iran: 4 Gold - 5 Silver - 1 Bronze = 10 Total
15. New Zealand: 4 Gold - 3 Silver - 5 Bronze = 12 Total
Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Majesty

What I have loved here in Australia is that pay TV has had 8 dedicated Olympic channels and we have seen every sport live so you can choose what to watch e.g. this morning I went from the diving to the pole vault to the hammer throw and then to the track and was watching all four things live.

I am glad I was sick over these last two weeks and have been able to stay up at night to watch the games - wasn't expecting to do so - but went to the doctors at the start of the games and was sent home to bed with bronchitis.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
What I have loved here in Australia is that pay TV has had 8 dedicated Olympic channels and we have seen every sport live so you can choose what to watch e.g. this morning I went from the diving to the pole vault to the hammer throw and then to the track and was watching all four things live.

I am glad I was sick over these last two weeks and have been able to stay up at night to watch the games - wasn't expecting to do so - but went to the doctors at the start of the games and was sent home to bed with bronchitis.
Oh, I am sorry, you are sick. That is not good. Be well.

On the other hand Mr. Bolt is great and Mr. Phelps is great. It is about medals, although, it is very great to just compete. USA Soccor, whatever you call it and the Dutch hockey team, all great!! Synchronised swimming is just fluff, not athletics, just pretty, visual stuff. Long runs and short runs are both great feats. We have confused the games with, nonsense, like, synchronized swimming and twirling, high school fun.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative - Morocco

first Gold Medal for Tunisia via Oussama Mellouli on marathon swim that was a stunning win for Mellouli.
also Bahrain won their first Olympic medal ever via Meriem Jamal on 1500m.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
2012 London Olympics -- Bahamas halts U.S. streak in men's 4x400 relay - ESPN

Congrats to the team from the Bahamas. The US came in second & Trinidad and Tobago came in third.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm thrilled for our 'little' neighbour, New Zealand. This has been a terrific games for them. Quite proud!

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent