Events and Athletes Discussion 2012 London Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's going to be good! Looking forward to see what Anky and Salinero can still pull off. He may be 18, but that horse is in damn good shape and enjoying it. It's really lovely to watch those two. His retirement is well deserved.

I think GB just got a bronze but we've got to share it.

We just eclipsed our Beijing Medal Count by one with a few days to go! Bring it on!

So glad Sally Pearson got gold in the 100m hurdles! She's crying on the track. Good Morning Australia!

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Robert Grabarz won a bronze for Team Britain won bronze in Men's High Jump. His highest jump was 2.29 - same as that of athletes from Canada and Qatar, so they occupied joint third position. Gold went to Ivan Ukhov from Russia (2.38) and silver - to Eric Kynard from USA (2.33).

Before the Olympics, the British Olympic Committee said their goal is to win 48 medals (one more than in Beijing) and occupy 4th position. Both goals now achieved. :)

So glad Sally Pearson got gold in the 100m hurdles! She's crying on the track. Good Morning Australia!
She had amazing reaction time - 0.137 seconds. Dawn Harper (who took silver) had a reaction time of 0.156. Considering Sally's final time was 12.35 and Dawn's 12.37, the reaction time might have well won Sally the gold.
Congratulations! :flowers:

With all medals now distributed, Team Standings today:
1. China: 34 Gold - 21 Silver - 18 Bronze = 73 Total
2. USA: 30 Gold - 17 Silver - 20 Bronze = 67 Total
3. United Kingdom: 22 Gold - 13 Silver - 13 Bronze = 48 Total
4. South Korea: 12 Gold - 5 Silver - 6 Bronze = 23 Total
5. Russia: 10 Gold - 18 Silver - 20 Bronze = 48 Total
6. France: 8 Gold - 9 Silver - 11 Bronze = 28 Total
7. Italy: 7 Gold - 6 Silver - 4 Bronze = 17 Total
8. Germany: 6 Gold - 14 Silver - 7 Bronze = 27 Total
9. Kazakhstan: 6 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze = 7 Total
10 The Netherlands: 5 Gold - 3 Silver - 6 Bronze = 14 Total
11. Iran: 4 Gold - 3 Silver - 1 Bronze = 8 Total
12. Hungary: 4 Gold - 2 Silver - 3 Bronze = 9 Total
13. North Korea: 4 Gold - 0 Silver - 1 Bronze = 5 Total
14. Australia: 3 Gold - 12 Silver - 9 Bronze = 24Total
13. Cuba: 3 Gold - 3 Silver - 1 Bronze = 7 Total
44. Armenia: 0 Gold - 1 Silver - 2 Bronze = 3 Total

Erin9 said:
Exactly. He's no different than Tiger Woods or Michael Jordan or any of the other legends of their sport. They always get the focus. (And I do think he's a legend--on a number of different levels.)

I've enjoyed the coverage and the interviews. This is his last Olympics; so, this is IT. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him race and smash records over the years. Swimming won't be the same--but what an amazing legacy he's left behind. But, then, I love watching swimming (and diving). Track is less interesting to me.

The media-the U.S. media anyway-always has a few "stars" and they get the most attention. In this Olympics, so far, it is Missy Franklin, Gabby Douglas, and Michael Phelps in the U.S. Michael Phelps isn't the only one getting extra media attention. Ryan Lochte hasn't done bad for himself either. I've been rather lucky--most of the athletes getting the most attention in these games happen to be ones who are participating in sports I really like to watch. Usain Bolt isn't doing too bad, either, come to think of it. Coverage on him is going up.

I agree Erin, if you don't like Michael for personal reasons that's fine, but you can't deny what be has done for himself and his sport. I'm not a big Phelps fan myself, but I know he has accomplished a remarkable thing and deserves a great big pat on the back. I do wonder if he is really retiring though, perhaps in 2016 he'll be back again.

I agree Erin, if you don't like Michael for personal reasons that's fine, but you can't deny what be has done for himself and his sport. I'm not a big Phelps fan myself, but I know he has accomplished a remarkable thing and deserves a great big pat on the back. I do wonder if he is really retiring though, perhaps in 2016 he'll be back again.

IA with you there. What he did in swimming is just unprecedented imo, like him or not. (I'm a fan, obviously.lol) The potential for lots of medals is there, but it is VERY hard to medal the way he did. I think he's got nearly twice as many medals as any other swimmer--and of course 18 of those 22 are gold--which is also extraordinary. He usually made it look easy to be super successful. The list of records he's broken just go on and on. He certainly deserves a lot of credit for swimming's increased popularity in the U.S.--among the public and the swimmers he has inspired.

I think he means it. He said he's accomplished all his goals. Off the top of my head, I can't think of major "firsts" for him now. One of his teammates said it well- he said he thinks Michael's done unless a few years down the road Michael is looking for something and thinks he can find it in swimming. I'd tend to agree: I think that's the only way it happens. But, I tend to think he's done competing. He's been pretty adament about being done and why. I wish him well in whatever he does, but I will miss watching him swim.

Before the Olympics, the British Olympic Committee said their goal is to win 48 medals (one more than in Beijing) and occupy 4th position. Both goals now achieved. :)

Congratulations to GB!!:D

I wish the U.S. would step it up a bit. I'd like to see us beat China.

Very happy for Sally Pearson and Chris Hoy, they did really great today :)

What I like is when a total underdog comes through and wins a medal!

When the unexpected happens, and someone who's considered a long shot wins a place in the sun! (Like Laura Trott, and the GB dressage team). That conveys the spirit of the Olympics to me.

Well done to Ireland's boxing champion Katie Taylor who secures silver and a chance of Olympic Gold!

Well done to Ireland's boxing champion Katie Taylor who secures silver and a chance of Olympic Gold!
Well done to her! :)
Hope Katie Taylor and Nicola Adams (from the UK) win their respective boxing finals.

Geeeercooo!

OMG yeaaaah Gerco for silver! He's such a fantastic rider, so happy right now I'm shaking.

first Medal for Morocco yesterday on 1500m it was the time:whistling:
i was amazed by Sally Pearson she is so strong.
Football: Mexico can play their first olympic final against Brazil sound intersting:)

Congratulations to Abdalaati Iguider and Morocco! :)

@ Empress Merel - Gerco Schroder did really well! I caught the end of the jump off (though not, unfortunately, the entire event); both Guerdat and Schroder were near-perfect.

Good luck to him! A gold medal would be terrific.
Morocco's last Olympic gold medal was in Men's 5000m as well (Hicham El Guerrouj at 2004 Olympic Games in Athens), so I'd take that as a good omen. :)

By the way, congratulations to Ireland with their first medal at London Olympics as well (bronze for Cian O'Connorin Individual Jumping). :flowers:

Last edited:
Good luck to him! A gold medal would be terrific.
Morocco's last Olympic gold medal was in Men's 5000m as well (Hicham El Guerrouj at 2004 Olympic Games in Athens), so I'd take that as a good omen. :)
it was double Gold medals for El Guerrouj on 2004(1500m and 5000m)...OH that was wonderful days with El Guerrouj he is a legend:flowers:

Best of luck to Ireland's Katie Taylor later this afternoon in her bid for an Olympic gold medal .

Oh man, that was tense!
Adelinde's kur was soooo good. Love the music aswell. She came from far, just 5 years ago she was still teaching English in high school. And a year later a reserve in Beijing. Well done to Adelinde and Parzival!

And I loooove Valegro. Such a beauty. Apart from that error in the end, her kur was great. I'm surprised she scored 90% though. 90% is the level of Totilas, I don't feel like she reached that. Close, but not completely.

Charlotte Dujardin is a total marvel. Just to put her 2 gold medals in these Games in perspective - Charlotte dropped out of a bog standard comprehensive school in Enfield at the age of 16. She got a job at Carl Hester's stables mucking out and cleaning up. The other riders realised she had once in a lifetime potential and a few short years later she's got 2 gold medals.

Dressage, and equestrianism in general, has a reputation as a sport for the elite and the extremely wealthy. Charlotte has put paid to that stereotype, in the UK at least.

A word also for Laura Bechtolsheimer with a wonderful bronze. Which means Team GB now have 50 medals!

Gold number 24 for Team GB as Nicola Adams becomes the first female gold medalist in boxing.

Well done to her, although I personally feel boxing should not be part of the Olympics.

I was glued to the screen during the entire Individual Dressage.
Charlotte Dujardin was absolutely phenomenal. She competed last - and after other riders showed some pretty impressive results, so I guess Charlotte was under a lot of pressure. But boy, did she deliver! Her score of 90.089 is, if I'm not mistaken, one of the highest scores in Individual Dressage in many years.

Adelinde Cornelissen from the Netherlands was brilliant too and finished with a score of 88.196: I was really afraid that very high score might put Dujardin off, but she was very composed. Laura Bechtolsheimer, also from Britain, came third with a score of 84.334 - also a beautiful riding.
Needless to say, Valegro, Parzival and Mistral Hojris were all absolutely brilliant as well.

Felt a bit bad for Helen Langehanenberg though; she came fourth with a score of 84.303 - just 0.031 behind Laura.

Congratulations to Team GB! :britflag: :britflag:
This double triumph means Britain has 50 medals, including 23 gold.

Gold number 24 for Team GB as Nicola Adams becomes the first female gold medalist in boxing.
Well done to her, although I personally feel boxing should not be part of the Olympics.
Wow, congratulations to Nicola Adams! It was a bit unexpected because Cancan Ren was a strong favourite.
That means 51 medals, including 24 gold, for Team GB! :britflag:

Katie Taylor just got Gold with DOCam watching.

Congratulations to Katie Taylor and to Ireland with their first gold medal! :irelandflag:
A picture of Katie celebrating her well-deserved victory.

A pretty good day for the British Isles. :)

Last edited:
American Claressa Schields wins gold in middleweight boxing.

I was glued to the screen during the entire Individual Dressage.
Charlotte Dujardin was absolutely phenomenal. She competed last - and after other riders showed some pretty impressive results, so I guess Charlotte was under a lot of pressure. But boy, did she deliver! Her score of 90.089 is, if I'm not mistaken, one of the highest scores in Individual Dressage in many years.

Adelinde Cornelissen from the Netherlands was brilliant too and finished with a score of 88.196: I was really afraid that very high score might put Dujardin off, but she was very composed. Laura Bechtolsheimer, also from Britain, came third with a score of 84.334 - also a beautiful riding.
Needless to say, Valegro, Parzival and Mistral Hojris were all absolutely brilliant as well.

Felt a bit bad for Helen Langehanenberg though; she came fourth with a score of 84.303 - just 0.031 behind Laura.

Congratulations to Team GB! :britflag: :britflag:
This double triumph means Britain has 50 medals, including 23 gold.
Scoring above 90% has only been done by one combination; which is Edward Gal and Moorlands Totilas who scored around 92-93% in 2010. I don't know the exact numbers. Edward is now riding Undercover, after Totilas was sold to Germany. (Of all countries to sell it to, it had to be mf Germany)

And you mentioned the three horses, Salinero was brilliant too. Majestic animal.

It's been a good Olympics for all the Dutch breeders. Many of the most succesful horses were bred and/or trained here. Valegro included!

Great world record on 800 meters by David Rudisha! He did the whole run himself without help, unbelievable!

LadyFinn said:
Great world record on 800 meters by David Rudisha! He did the whole run himself without help, unbelievable!

I'm confused, do 800m runners usually have help?

I'm confused, do 800m runners usually have help?

I meant that he lead from the start to the finish and he didn't have any paid help runners, as usually in these world record runs in Diamond League etc. It is very rare that on these long distance runs someone leads from the start and makes a world record without any help runners that lead the first lap.

Well that was obvious, Bolt gets his 4th gold defending his two titles with the 200m.

I do love Wenlock!! He keeps trying to give Bolt teddy bears.

Last edited:
Went on the Medal site and saw someone had 81 medals; I thought well that's it China wins....turns out it was the US! Yay!
When is thi all over, my heart can't take much more.

Back
Top Bottom