2012 Paralympic Games in London, August 29 - September 9, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
2i2apfs.jpg

Following the 2012 London Summer Olympics,

the 2012 Paralympic Games will take place in London from August 29 - September 9, 2012.

Advance information concerning the schedule, athletes, the sports and much more can be found at

the official website: london2012.com/paralympics!

Enjoy and happy posting!

Last edited:
Opening Ceremony of London 2012 Paralympic Games - August 29, 2012

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the London 2012 Paralympic Games on 29th August 2012

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to these Games (especially attempting to understand Goalball, even after one of my friends [and former classmates] attempted to explain it to me).

Anyhow, I found this article on my twitter, and since this is the only open thread that's dealing with the Paralympics, I thought I'd share it here:

London 2012: let the Paralympics preparations begin | Sport | The Guardian

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, anybody know if any royals are planning to support their paralympic teams next week?

Last edited:
The Paralympic Torch Route began today and will continue throughout the country until the 29th.

Four groups of Scouts trekked up Scafell Pike, England's highest peak, Slieve Donard in Northern Ireland, Snowdon in Wales and Ben Nevis in Scotland - the UK's highest point - to ignite the flame.

For me personally, the torch arrived in York this afternoon after a cauldron was lit in London. It will 'spawn' four torches which will travel Yorkshire throughout the weekend.

A ceremonial cauldron has been lit in London's Trafalgar Square to launch the Paralympic torch relay.

Claire Lomas, who was paralysed in a horse riding accident, lit the cauldron from the English national flame kindled on Scafell Pike.

Last edited:
The Queen, Princess Anne, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra of Kent will attend the opening of the Paralympic Games tomorrow night.

British Royals@britishroyals
In a few hours, St James's Palace will announce Prince William, Kate & Harry's Paralympics schedule.... http://t.co/nLSpFb8m

MichelleQ2 said:

Princess Alexandra and The Duke of Gloucester are only attending the opening according to those links. The Duchess of Gloucester is attending the opening and a day of events. The Earl and Countess as patrons are attending numerous events.

The schedule for the Cambridges and Prince Henry:

ST JAMES'S PALACE

THE DUKE AND DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE AND PRINCE HARRY WILL ATTEND SELECTED EVENTS DURING THE
LONDON 2012 PARALYMPIC GAMES

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry are provisionally scheduled to attend during the Paralympic Games. Their Royal Highnesses will attend in their capacity as Official Ambassadors for Paralympics GB.

All engagements are provisional and subject to change at this stage. Attendance will be confirmed nearer the time of each scheduled event.

Wednesday 29th August

• The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Paralympic Games.

Thursday 30th August

• The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend Goalball (at the Olympic Park).

• The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will attend the track cycling (at the Olympic Park).

• The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the swimming (at the Olympic Park).

Sunday 2nd September

• The Duchess of Cambridge will attend the Athletics (at the Olympic Stadium).

Monday 3rd September

• Prince Harry will attend the swimming (at the Olympic Park).

• Prince Harry will visit Paralympics GB House.

kate attended much more events than what it was initially listed in her official "olympic schedule". so i suspect something similar will happen during the paralympics, i'm hoping to see her a lot around!

HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark attends as patron of the Paralympic Games in London, the first - 3 September

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark attends the 4th of September .

HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark attends as patron of the Paralympic Games in London, the first - 3 September

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark attends the 4th of September .

Very good to know. Always exciting to see so many royals in one place at almost the same time :D.

I dunno where to post this but I'm hearing Kate has been spotted today preparing for tomorrow's opening ceremony.
Emma McCarthy ‏@Miss_McCarthy Ere, Kate Middleton's getting her hair washed in the sink next to mine. Should I request tumbling duchess-esque curls in homage?

But ya I agree I don't see Wills Kate and Harry only doing such few appearances. I think they'll appear at more events.

Last edited:
on the official page of the princely palace of monaco , it is annonced that The princely couple will attend the opening of paraolympics games.

One athlete I will follow is Alex Zanardi in paracycling. I still remember watching that horrible accident in Germany in 2001 when his car was hit by another driver, I was convinced that he couldn't have survived it. He have made a fantastic recovery after that.

It's on Channel 4 in the UK which means that we have to put up with ad breaks, which is seriously annoying when for the Olympics the BBC would just broadcast for about 18 hours a day without interruption.

It's on Channel 4 in the UK which means that we have to put up with ad breaks, which is seriously annoying when for the Olympics the BBC would just broadcast for about 18 hours a day without interruption.

Channel 4 appears to have put a heck of a lot of effort into their coverage, I am pretty sure they will be very select about their adverts (obviously I will eat my hat if I am wrong!!)

EIIR said:

I don't like that it's on Channel 4, the ad breaks and the presenters ruin it.

The Queen accompanied by the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Catherine is wearing cream just seen her arrive with William.

Just saw them singing along to the national anthem, standing with the Princess Royal and Sam Cam. HM looks a bit happier tonight than she did for the Olympics opening ceremony!

That Benjamin Britten arrangement of God Save the Queen is my personal favourite.

Back
Top Bottom