2012 Paralympic Games in London, August 29 - September 9, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And why not? The extraordinary athletes of the Paralympics are featured online, in print and on television every day. Just look back at this thread and see all the attention. The people competing are athletes and have been getting attention for their accomplishments.
I don't know if your talking to me or somebody else but here in Canada no pays attention to the parayl Olympics I know it's sad. I mean to say not as much media coverage like the Olympics.

Happiness is sweet said:
I don't know if your talking to me or somebody else but here in Canada no pays attention to the parayl Olympics I know it's sad. I mean to say not as much media coverage like the Olympics.

I doubt you can claim an entire country pays no attention, I'm sure some people do.

Has anyone read somewhere about the countries that are doing much better at the paraolympics than at the olympics, I think Greece and Nigeria are doing well.
Greece said that they did not do well because of the economic crises which seem to be no problem for the Greek athletes at the paraolympics.

I have been googling but can not find a good article about this subject.

Judging by the people I am coming into contact with - they don't even know the Paralympics are on - the kids aren't talking about them at all and nor are the staff which was a very different situation during the Olympics. Even the fact that a former student from our school is competing didn't raise a mention from anyone. I happened to hear his name and asked the principal if it was him and he contacted the parents and they confirmed it. I suppose the lack of live coverage during peak watching hours could be a major factor, along with the fact that it isn't being shown on a commercial channel (compared to the Olympics that were on one commercial and 8 pay-TV channels).

Has anyone read somewhere about the countries that are doing much better at the paraolympics than at the olympics, I think Greece and Nigeria are doing well.
Greece said that they did not do well because of the economic crises which seem to be no problem for the Greek athletes at the paraolympics.

I have been googling but can not find a good article about this subject.

I wouldn't read too much into this. There are a lot more medals awarded in the Paralympics, because there are different classifications of disability. So, there are several 100m races, due to the fact that there is a range of abilities taking part, as opposed to at the Olympics where there is one 100m male champion, and one female.

There are also fewer nations taking part, which increases a country's likelihood of winning medals. For example, Ireland won only one gold at the Olympics, but so far have 8 golds at the Paralympics.

So, more medal events coupled with fewer countries taking part means most countries will probably do better at the Paralympics.

Italy's Alex Zanardi claimed his second Paralympic gold medal with victory in the men's H4 road race at Brands Hatch.
The 45-year-old now has two wins at the Kent motor-racing circuit where he first raced as an F3000 driver 21 years ago before losing his legs in an accident in 2001.
Zanardi, who won time-trial gold on Wednesday, won the 64km race in a sprint finish ahead of South Africa's Ernst van Dyk, with Belgium's Wim Decleir third.
"To win this race in this way, in such a dramatic way and sprinting makes me really proud," said Zanardi.
The Press Association: Zanardi battles to golden double

The Games might not be broadcast live on network television like the Olympic Games were but the Paralympics have not been ignored by the Canadian media. CBC National, the 24 hour news channel, gives regular updates on its news casts and has shown interviews with some of the athletes and told their stories. The national newspapers have also run stories on the athletes and their results. Obviously someone in Canada must be paying attention to the Paralympics or the media would not be doing stories on them.

Judging by the people I am coming into contact with - they don't even know the Paralympics are on

Yup it's a dam shame. They haven't shown a single event on television here. At least I haven't seen anything.

Watching the closing ceremony- a wonderful spectacle. Shame on those countries whose media have chosen to ignore these remarkable games. For me these Olympians are true heroes.

Hating the adverts, again, and I think i just saw Vivienne Westwood with a climate change banner?

Watching the closing ceremony- a wonderful spectacle. Shame on those countries whose media have chosen to ignore these remarkable games. For me these Olympians are true heroes.

I agree with you those Paralympics heroes have been inspirational!

A stunning light show to accompany a medley of songs from Coldplay.

The Paralympics Closing Ceremony is absolutely stunning!

Yes it is. I think I prefer it to the closing ceremony of the Olympics

Coldplay has been on for a while but I guess they are the main event.
Surprise guest = Rhianna. Not a surprise.

:previous:
The two are somewhat different and I have to say, I loved every single ceremony - both Opening ones and both Closing ones.
You Brits have no rivals when it comes to staging poignant, witty and spectacular shows!

Rihanna (was anyone really surprised?) on stage with Coldplay. Judging by the song, they are 4 years too late.

Coldplay joined by the British Paraorchestra for "Strawberry Swing".

Last edited by a moderator:
A Paralympic orchestra - wow.

A Paralympic orchestra - wow.
The British Paraorchestra has 17 members with disabilities.
Auditions began just a year ago, and the musicians performed live for an audience for the first time back in July.

I'm ashamed to say I never even knew Paralympic Games have an anthem. Beautiful though.

At the start of summer, Ist May or May day, these dances would be held and usually there would also be the election of a may queen. I think it is also to do with fertility. As a child, we had dancing round the maypole with coloured ribbons forming patterns as they crossed. Every young girl dreamed of being the next may queen

How sad it will be when they extinguish the flame.

At the start of summer, Ist May or May day, these dances would be held and usually there would also be the election of a may queen. I think it is also to do with fertility. As a child, we had dancing round the maypole with coloured ribbons forming patterns as they crossed. Every young girl dreamed of being the next may queen

How sad it will be when they extinguish the flame.

Thanks for explaining the maypoles symbolism, Elly C! :flowers:
It's indeed going to be quite sad: London2012 was fantastic, magical time.

I didn't either Artemisia and it is beautiful!
Glad to know I wasn't the only one. ;)

A very inspiring speech from Lord Coe:

"Together these past few weeks we have shared some wonderful days, haven't we?"
:)
"London 2012. Made in Britain." :britflag:
"His name was Andrew and he told me he was a doctor at St Mary's hospital. He said: 'I was on duty on 7/7, that awful day. For me this is closure. I wasn't sure I should come or whether I could face it. I'm so glad I did. For I've seen the worst of mankind and now I've seen the best of mankind'."

Sir Philip Craven: "The greatest Paralympic Games ever".

As the cauldron came down and the flame was extinguished, the flame was shared out across the stadium. This sharing of the flame is supposed to symbolise the eternal nature of the flame living among us all. Ellie Simmonds and Jonnie Peacock take the flame to start that process.

Rihanna and Jay Z on stage.

What an inspiring speaker Sir Philip Craven is.

Yes indeed as the commentator said ". A night to remember for the rest of our lives."

What an inspiring speaker Sir Philip Craven is.

He's great isn't he? I'd never heard of him before these Games, but he's a much better public speaker than Jacque Rogge, his counterpart at the IOC. You can really sense his joy and pride.

I'm so glad both Games were so tremendously successful. Tomorrow's the victory parade through London for all our GB athletes. I know the parade ends at Buckingham Palace. Do we know if any royals will be there to see them?

I'm so glad both Games were so tremendously successful. Tomorrow's the victory parade through London for all our GB athletes. I know the parade ends at Buckingham Palace. Do we know if any royals will be there to see them?
Princess Anne will definitely be there - in official capacity. She'll join the parade at The Queen Victoria Memorial.
Other royals may join in, but only in private capacities.

I didn't realise there had been a royal presence at today's closing ceremony after all! ;)

Welcome to the Wonderdrome: Spectacular Mad Max-style vision of Britain as Prince Edward enters stadium in a carriage made of second-hand cars
The Paralympics closing ceremony kicked off with a spectacular post-apocalyptic Mad Max-style invasion of the Olympic Stadium today. Amid fire and smoke, performers drove in on dozens of British-made welded-together vehicles, burning bicycles and bizarre machines that looked straight out of Mel Gibson's classic 1979 dystopian action movie. The outlandish performance for the Festival of the Flame also included a grand entrance by Prince Edward who entered the stadium in a chauffeur-driven carriage made out of second-hand cars.
- Prince Edward 1
- Prince Edward 2

That's an original way to enter a stadium. Love the creativity that was showcased in all ceremonies of the Olympics and Paralympics.

What a year this has been for the people of GB:Diamond Jubilee, Olympic Games and Paralympic Games. So very well done to all the people of Britain for your organising of, participating in and support of these events. No one does pomp and ceremony quite like you guys. YOU MAY BE PROUD!!

...and now the big parade today. Won't miss it!

Back
Top Bottom