The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Hello Prince Daniel presenting some swimming medals. The gold medalist was from Sweden, so it was a nice touch for Daniel to give out these medals.
Here's the video of Daniel presenting the medals, and the gold medal to swedish Maja Reichard.

An interview of prince Daniel and swedish table tennis player Emil Andersson, who won bronze. Daniel presented him the medal.
Daniel says that it was great to see Emil playing. What performance! Emil says that it is great to have a medal and to get it from prince Daniel. Daniel says that it was a very exciting match and they were on pins and needles when watching it, it was very inspiring. And they both say that it has been a very successful for Sweden so far, four medals already. Daniel is asked what he is looking most forward now. He says that watching the swedish athletes and he stresses out how wonderful idols and role models these next generation athletes are. He hopes that as many as possible can try some sport in Sweden.
Prins Daniel:

Daniel at the medal ceremony
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...CdX-zYBRcl.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...eyaCsWu_dl.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/P...nYVY74EKdl.jpg

Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Heir Apparent

It is nice to see Prince Daniel attending the games and presenting the medals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Iranian Paralympic athlete refuses to shake Duchess of Cambridge's hand 'for cultural reasons because she's a woman' at medal ceremony

A complete non-story, especially since at the very end DM squeezed this line: "A spokesman for St. James's Palace has revealed the Duchess was briefed beforehand and warned not to offer her hand to Zadeh."
It is a non - story indeed. Both parties knew well in advance how to approach the situation without being uncomfortable and breaking the cultural norms.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

You know, Im just curious. Doesnt anyone else think it rude that the Iranian athlete wouldnt shake the Duchesses hand? I understand the religion thing but come on, its the paralympics for goodness sake. You would think that being he wasnt in a private setting or in an awkward situation, there would be some kind agreement. Its the Duchess for crying out loud! Well I for one thought it disrespectful and tacky. I know she was supposedly warned about this but, really? Just curious.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
You know, Im just curious. Doesnt anyone else think it rude that the Iranian athlete wouldnt shake the Duchesses hand? I understand the religion thing but come on, its the paralympics for goodness sake. You would think that being he wasnt in a private setting or in an awkward situation, there would be some kind agreement. Its the Duchess for crying out loud! Well I for one thought it disrespectful and tacky. I know she was supposedly warned about this but, really? Just curious.

Nope, since he had already informed beforehand and there is a genuine valid reason, it is only right to respect his wishes.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No I don't think it was rude at all. He made a very friendly and respectful gesture by putting his hands to his chest. I went to school with men from cultures that don't shake hands with women and that is their cultural mores.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
It is nice to see Prince Daniel attending the games and presenting the medals.
It is a non - story indeed. Both parties knew well in advance how to approach the situation without being uncomfortable and breaking the cultural norms.
I agree with you that the story is a big "non-story". It is so very unfortunate that the issue had to be written in the terms of ...refusing... rather than taking the opportunity to highlight cultural differences in a positive way. As a woman I have travelled in the Middle East and have always been treated with the outmost respect and the custom of not shaking hands (or the western bear hug) has not in any way taken away from the wonderful people I have met.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Majesty

I think we need to take into account what kind of audience all this is geared toward. If the Average Joe doesn't know the difference between 'Kate Middleton' and 'Duchess of Cambridge', it's very unlikely that he/she would know the norms of the culture in the Middle East. The newspaper wanted to create a sensation, so it twisted the story in such a way as to make it seem as if one party 'offended' the other, when in reality it was anything but. I saw the clip, and the athlete in question did a very respectful bow, and smiled at the Duchess, who in turn knew what to expect and didn't even offer her hand. No harm done.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Daniel presenting the gold medal
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Daniel presented medals also at the men's table tennis on Monday, here the bronze medal to swedish Emil Andersson
http://www.sydsvenskan.se/ScaledImag...012-9-3-p8.jpg

Still photos of Daniel yesterday

And today, Daniel talks with Swedish shooter Jonas Jacobsson
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0300010060...46776134708896
Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Courtier

Everone is entitled to their cultural norms. That was not rude. He gave a handshake to the gold medalists and a bow to the Duchess.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'll join in with the others and declare that I don't believe this was at all rude. In any event that's meant to be inclusive of many countries and cultures, accommodations have to be made. The Duchess was briefed on how to handle this cultural difference appropriately, and did so, and the man in question behaved politely to her within the bounds of what's permitted in his religion.

This really was a non-story.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think he was very tactful. In his culture AFAIK shaking hands with a non-related female means that he thinks of her as a whore - it's a gesture of respect not to touch her (a bit like people should not touch the queen).
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I think he was very tactful. In his culture AFAIK shaking hands with a non-related female means that he thinks of her as a whore - it's a gesture of respect not to touch her (a bit like people should not touch the queen).
But technically there's was " a contact" when Duchess put the ribbon with medal on his neck.... Or she dropped only this ribbon in order to avoid any "inappropriate" contact....
Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarat View Post
But technically there's was " a contact" when Duchess put the ribbon with medal on his neck.... Or she dropped only this ribbon in order to avoid any "inappropriate" contact....
I guess they chacked beforehand what Catherine could do appropriately.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Part of me feels that it was ok and the guy was gracious in how he signalled his thanks to Kate. Another part of me, however, feels that when he's in the UK where social convention dictates that a handshake is the norm whatever the gender of the individuals involved, he should just shake Kate's hand.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I agree!. Ther are differences from culture to culture, he behaviored with his own elegance.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Part of me feels that it was ok and the guy was gracious in how he signalled his thanks to Kate. Another part of me, however, feels that when he's in the UK where social convention dictates that a handshake is the norm whatever the gender of the individuals involved, he should just shake Kate's hand.
If I went to a country where the culture was to do something I found offensive - maybe wear a full burka or sleep with my host, I would not do it. To us a handshake is no big deal but in other cultures it's very significant.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Im not liking the way the press is reporting that "the Iranian athlete did not want to shake kate's hand". It's such sensationalist press. It's not that he didnt WANT to, his beliefs didn't allow Him to. This is the Olympics and Paralympics. We unite different countries and as such, different cultures and ways of doing. He was uncomfortable doing it, hence he didnt. Nothing wrong or serious. Besides, it's his big moment. He should do whatever makes him more comfortable and happy whilst savoring his big day. he wasn't rude or impolite at all.

On the other hand, what a shame for him to have to refuse to shake the lovely duchess' hand!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
If I went to a country where the culture was to do something I found offensive - maybe wear a full burka or sleep with my host, I would not do it. To us a handshake is no big deal but in other cultures it's very significant.
I agree with you! I wouldn't do either.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Royal Highness

Harry at goalball today
2012 London Paralympics - Day 6 - Goalball - Pictures - Zimbio

and at swimming
Prince Harry Pictures - 2012 London Paralympics - Day 6 - Swimming - Zimbio
surrounded by women and loving it....

He's such a charming guy
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Neither would I.
I'm generally a believer of the When in Rome...dictate, but you have to draw the line at what you personally consider unacceptable. And that line differs for everyone.