2012 Paralympic Games in London, August 29 - September 9, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, Im just curious. Doesnt anyone else think it rude that the Iranian athlete wouldnt shake the Duchesses hand? I understand the religion thing but come on, its the paralympics for goodness sake. You would think that being he wasnt in a private setting or in an awkward situation, there would be some kind agreement. Its the Duchess for crying out loud! Well I for one thought it disrespectful and tacky. I know she was supposedly warned about this but, really? Just curious.

I think he was very tactful. In his culture AFAIK shaking hands with a non-related female means that he thinks of her as a whore - it's a gesture of respect not to touch her (a bit like people should not touch the queen).

I think he was very tactful. In his culture AFAIK shaking hands with a non-related female means that he thinks of her as a whore - it's a gesture of respect not to touch her (a bit like people should not touch the queen).

But technically there's was " a contact" when Duchess put the ribbon with medal on his neck.... Or she dropped only this ribbon in order to avoid any "inappropriate" contact....

But technically there's was " a contact" when Duchess put the ribbon with medal on his neck.... Or she dropped only this ribbon in order to avoid any "inappropriate" contact....

I guess they chacked beforehand what Catherine could do appropriately. :flowers:

Part of me feels that it was ok and the guy was gracious in how he signalled his thanks to Kate. Another part of me, however, feels that when he's in the UK where social convention dictates that a handshake is the norm whatever the gender of the individuals involved, he should just shake Kate's hand.

I agree!. Ther are differences from culture to culture, he behaviored with his own elegance.

Part of me feels that it was ok and the guy was gracious in how he signalled his thanks to Kate. Another part of me, however, feels that when he's in the UK where social convention dictates that a handshake is the norm whatever the gender of the individuals involved, he should just shake Kate's hand.

If I went to a country where the culture was to do something I found offensive - maybe wear a full burka or sleep with my host, I would not do it. To us a handshake is no big deal but in other cultures it's very significant.

Im not liking the way the press is reporting that "the Iranian athlete did not want to shake kate's hand". It's such sensationalist press. It's not that he didnt WANT to, his beliefs didn't allow Him to. This is the Olympics and Paralympics. We unite different countries and as such, different cultures and ways of doing. He was uncomfortable doing it, hence he didnt. Nothing wrong or serious. Besides, it's his big moment. He should do whatever makes him more comfortable and happy whilst savoring his big day. he wasn't rude or impolite at all.

On the other hand, what a shame for him to have to refuse to shake the lovely duchess' hand!

If I went to a country where the culture was to do something I found offensive - maybe wear a full burka or sleep with my host, I would not do it. To us a handshake is no big deal but in other cultures it's very significant.

I agree with you! I wouldn't do either.

Neither would I.
I'm generally a believer of the When in Rome...dictate, but you have to draw the line at what you personally consider unacceptable. And that line differs for everyone.

I have a funny story about this topic. I was teaching a class of grad students including several from other countries. On the first day of class I went around and introduced myself to each student and shook their hand. One was a man from Saudi Arabia and he did not shake my hand explaining it was against his religion. I imagine he was already under a bit of culture shock having a female teacher and female classmates but he was very careful to say he meant no disrespect. After class he came up to me again to explain that he was sorry, it was not that he disrespected me but it was against his religion. I assured him that I took no offense and that I respected his beliefs. He then patted me on my shoulder!

I was surprised but realized that must not be taboo. I don't know if it is because there is clothing between the shoulder and his hand or if it's just that the hands have special meaning. I hope someone on this forum can enlighten me.

Anyway, for the rest of the term when I met him in the hall, he would pat my shoulder. I appreciated very much that he was negotiating his way through a very foreign culture and was trying his best to show respect. I thought it was interesting that in the US, patting your professor on the shoulder is a bit more familiar than shaking her hand but it seemed to work for him so I was cool with it. I love learning about different cultures and find it is part of what makes the world such a wonderful place.

Im not liking the way the press is reporting that "the Iranian athlete did not want to shake kate's hand". It's such sensationalist press. It's not that he didnt WANT to, his beliefs didn't allow Him to. This is the Olympics and Paralympics. We unite different countries and as such, different cultures and ways of doing. He was uncomfortable doing it, hence he didnt. Nothing wrong or serious. Besides, it's his big moment. He should do whatever makes him more comfortable and happy whilst savoring his big day. he wasn't rude or impolite at all.

On the other hand, what a shame for him to have to refuse to shake the lovely duchess' hand!

I agree - there is a bit of lively discussion on the DOC thread about this and most folks agree that he was respectful and joyful and folks respect his beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a funny story about this topic. I was teaching a class of grad students including several from other countries. On the first day of class I went around and introduced myself to each student and shook their hand. One was a man from Saudi Arabia and he did not shake my hand explaining it was against his religion. I imagine he was already under a bit of culture shock having a female teacher and female classmates but he was very careful to say he meant no disrespect. After class he came up to me again to explain that he was sorry, it was not that he disrespected me but it was against his religion. I assured him that I took no offense and that I respected his beliefs. He then patted me on my shoulder!

I was surprised but realized that must not be taboo. I don't know if it is because there is clothing between the shoulder and his hand or if it's just that the hands have special meaning. I hope someone on this forum can enlighten me.

Anyway, for the rest of the term when I met him in the hall, he would pat my shoulder. I appreciated very much that he was negotiating his way through a very foreign culture and was trying his best to show respect. I thought it was interesting that in the US, patting your professor on the shoulder is a bit more familiar than shaking her hand but it seemed to work for him so I was cool with it. I love learning about different cultures and find it is part of what makes the world such a wonderful place.

Very interesting story, thank for sharing. How old was the student?

CSW: Muslem men are not permitted to shake the hand or touch the face of any woman who is not a relative. It's not even permissible to touch any woman with a barrier between the man's hand and the woman's flesh.

I'm assuming your student was Islamic, but you didn't say.

Also, you don't know how many people you have insulted. Not everyone who posts on TRF are of a Judeo-Christian background.

Last edited:
It's good to see Harry at the Paralympic Games.

Don't shake hands with the Rabbi!

I married late-ish, and thereafter converted to Judaism. Our family is Reform. When my husband's grandfather died, his service was to be Orthodox. Before the funeral, my dear mother-in-law said, now whatever you do, don't try to shake hands with the Rabbi- Orthodox men don't touch other women. OK, Mom, I said. Of course, hours later, there I was, being introduced to the Rabbi, and my businesswoman's instinct was to grasp his hand and shake it! At the last second, I remembered and managed to keep from embarrassing myself. I might add that the Rabbi was a very worldly and charming man, so he probably wouldn't have been the least bit upset.

She is very pretty. I like her dress so much. Nevertheless, I always feel so insecure when I see her without any bag... even driven by a car, I can not understand how a woman can step out without even not a lipgloss or her mobile phone. Unless she has a bag, which she lets into the car...
I have to agree with you- and that dress looks like it was passed down from her rich relatives.Rather skimpy on the material.

Prince Daniel visited today the Paralympic Village
From the blog of swedish goalball players:
Today has been a very quiet day for us Swedish Goalball players because neither we nor the ladies had a match. The day was devoted to a lot of chill, recovery and visits from friends and acquaintances.

In the afternoon, in connection with our medal ceremony we had for our table tennis medalists, we got a visit from Prince Daniel. He was very nice and engaged, talked with everyone of us and wanted to know all about how it goes for us.
goalballfatmir - Prins Daniel på besök i Paralympics byn

Prince Daniel visited the Seamen's Church

Ambassador Nicola Clase hosted this evening a reception at the swedish Seamen's Church. Among the guests were Prince Daniel and several of the Swedish athletes.
The prince pointed out in his greeting the importance of having good role models.
- The Swedish team in the Paralympics are just such good role models, he said after followed the competitors efforts in two days.
Daniel with gold medalist Maja Reichard
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/217026_323855994377994_1867861036_n.jpg
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2135/d12lz.jpg

About Daniel's attendance at the blog of ambassador Nicola Clase
The Golden Generation | Sweden in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the wonderful pics of the Paralympics. I did not know they were so grand in spectacle as well as performance. I don't watch much TV any more, but there also was nothing on the internet..just here on the Royal Forums.
Concerning Anne's sun glasses, the sun HAS been brighter these days, with less protective cover out there in space and more "coronal mass ejections". I wear either glasses or a five-inch brim hat at all times. I do have very sensitive eyes, and Anne probably does too. Some people you are not aware of may be wearing protective contact lenses.

have there been any schedule announcements regarding William, Kate or Harry attending more paralympic events beyond Sept 4th? I know the announcment was made that none would be available for the closing ceremony. but do we have any more appearances this week to look forward to?

MichelleQ2 said:
have there been any schedule announcements regarding William, Kate or Harry attending more paralympic events beyond Sept 4th? I know the announcment was made that none would be available for the closing ceremony. but do we have any more appearances this week to look forward to?

Definitely no William and probably not Henry. I don't know if Catherine will go alone, no more Louise either as our young ones return to school this week.

Definitely no William and probably not Henry. I don't know if Catherine will go alone, no more Louise either as our young ones return to school this week.

That has probably been the most upsetting thing I have read all day! When I saw some schools go back today I was deeply disappointed that Louise would not be making another appearance again. What a shame as she brought such sunshine to the events she attended!

crown prince frederik congratulating Danish rider and bronze medal winner Annika Lykke Dalskov

its nice seeing one of the heirs also supporting the paralympics

Google Translate

Also, you don't know how many people you have insulted. Not everyone who posts on TRF are of a Judeo-Christian background.

:eek: What on EARTH about this story was insulting?? If we don't talk about other customs and viewpoints, how do we learn? When I saw the Iranian athlete not shake Catherine's hand I wondered why and now I know. I didn't know it was acceptable for a Muslim man to pat a woman's shoulder and now I know it's okay. I swear, some people just look for ways to be offended. :bang:

Reactions: csw
Agreed.:previous: You were respectful of his tradition and faith. What could possibly be offensive about that?

Reactions: csw
Back
Top Bottom