The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events > 2012 London Olympics

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Gentry

I don't think no one really pays attention to the paralympics

Old 09-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness is sweet View Post
And why not? The extraordinary athletes of the Paralympics are featured online, in print and on television every day. Just look back at this thread and see all the attention. The people competing are athletes and have been getting attention for their accomplishments.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Here in Finland we have seen some of the events live in TV, for instance when the biggest star of the finnish Paralympic Team, Leo-Pekka Tähti, won his fourth gold medal. We have 2 or 3 television broadcastings a day. And there are many hours live at the website of the finnish TV-company.
All the finnish athletes have been interviewed after their competitions, we have seen the medal ceremonies and the medal parties. We have also seen all the "big names" and the most successful and interesting events even though the finnish athletes didn't succeed in them.
The press has been writing quite much about the paralympics.
Of course the media coverage isn't the same as the olympics have, but the people in Finland pay a lot of attention to the paralympics. At least me and my co-workers speak a lot of the paralympics every day, almost all of them are watching the games.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Aristocracy

Here in South Africa there is both huge interest and great coverage of the Paralympics. There is about 12 hours of TV coverage every day, featuring a wide range of sporting codes. Of course our big stars Oscar Pistorius and Nathalie du Toit have been doing well and have received much attention. We are in awe of the dedication and perseverance of these athletes...just proves what the human spirit is capable of!!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I guess the 11+ pages of this thread blow that remark right out of the water!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you for the image links, it's so lovely to see Edward and Sophie at the Games. I also think it's even cuter that they present the Medals and flowers together...They did it at the Rowing and have now done the same for the Sailing events. I wish these events were shown on TV.

Daria, Edward's tie I believe is the Paralympic Association tie, but I could be mistaken.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well done to Ireland's Mark Rohan who claimed his second gold at the Paralympic Games,he's from my county of Westmeath so we're extra proud!

Mark Rohan wins gold in hand cycling road race

Mark Rohan wins gold in hand cycling road race - RT News
Old 09-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Eugenie presented medals yesterday at the Games.

http://i46.tinypic.com/140jc00.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2d8p8o3.jpg
Old 09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

More about Eugenie
Princess Eugenie gives Duchess of Cambridge a run for her money in the style stakes as she makes solo appearance at Paralympics | Mail Online
Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri
Well done to Ireland's Mark Rohan who claimed his second gold at the Paralympic Games,he's from my county of Westmeath so we're extra proud!

Mark Rohan wins gold in hand cycling road race

Mark Rohan wins gold in hand cycling road race - RT News
Congratulations! Well done Ireland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67
Princess Eugenie presented medals yesterday at the Games.

http://i46.tinypic.com/140jc00.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2d8p8o3.jpg
Lovely smile, horrid dress. I'm glad she's getting to do some royal duties.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
And why not? The extraordinary athletes of the Paralympics are featured online, in print and on television every day. Just look back at this thread and see all the attention. The people competing are athletes and have been getting attention for their accomplishments.
I don't know if your talking to me or somebody else but here in Canada no pays attention to the parayl Olympics I know it's sad. I mean to say not as much media coverage like the Olympics.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness is sweet
I don't know if your talking to me or somebody else but here in Canada no pays attention to the parayl Olympics I know it's sad. I mean to say not as much media coverage like the Olympics.
I doubt you can claim an entire country pays no attention, I'm sure some people do.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Has anyone read somewhere about the countries that are doing much better at the paraolympics than at the olympics, I think Greece and Nigeria are doing well.
Greece said that they did not do well because of the economic crises which seem to be no problem for the Greek athletes at the paraolympics.

I have been googling but can not find a good article about this subject.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:54 AM
Majesty

Judging by the people I am coming into contact with - they don't even know the Paralympics are on - the kids aren't talking about them at all and nor are the staff which was a very different situation during the Olympics. Even the fact that a former student from our school is competing didn't raise a mention from anyone. I happened to hear his name and asked the principal if it was him and he contacted the parents and they confirmed it. I suppose the lack of live coverage during peak watching hours could be a major factor, along with the fact that it isn't being shown on a commercial channel (compared to the Olympics that were on one commercial and 8 pay-TV channels).
Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
Has anyone read somewhere about the countries that are doing much better at the paraolympics than at the olympics, I think Greece and Nigeria are doing well.
Greece said that they did not do well because of the economic crises which seem to be no problem for the Greek athletes at the paraolympics.

I have been googling but can not find a good article about this subject.
I wouldn't read too much into this. There are a lot more medals awarded in the Paralympics, because there are different classifications of disability. So, there are several 100m races, due to the fact that there is a range of abilities taking part, as opposed to at the Olympics where there is one 100m male champion, and one female.

There are also fewer nations taking part, which increases a country's likelihood of winning medals. For example, Ireland won only one gold at the Olympics, but so far have 8 golds at the Paralympics.

So, more medal events coupled with fewer countries taking part means most countries will probably do better at the Paralympics.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I doubt you can claim an entire country pays no attention, I'm sure some people do.

Couldn't agree more!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Italy's Alex Zanardi claimed his second Paralympic gold medal with victory in the men's H4 road race at Brands Hatch.
The 45-year-old now has two wins at the Kent motor-racing circuit where he first raced as an F3000 driver 21 years ago before losing his legs in an accident in 2001.
Zanardi, who won time-trial gold on Wednesday, won the 64km race in a sprint finish ahead of South Africa's Ernst van Dyk, with Belgium's Wim Decleir third.
"To win this race in this way, in such a dramatic way and sprinting makes me really proud," said Zanardi.
The Press Association: Zanardi battles to golden double
Old 09-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Games might not be broadcast live on network television like the Olympic Games were but the Paralympics have not been ignored by the Canadian media. CBC National, the 24 hour news channel, gives regular updates on its news casts and has shown interviews with some of the athletes and told their stories. The national newspapers have also run stories on the athletes and their results. Obviously someone in Canada must be paying attention to the Paralympics or the media would not be doing stories on them.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Judging by the people I am coming into contact with - they don't even know the Paralympics are on

Yup it's a dam shame. They haven't shown a single event on television here. At least I haven't seen anything.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's just not as big as the Olympics that's all.