The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Absolutely EIIR! Well said! I love all kinds of food but to sit down to a Sunday roast followed by Eaton Mess - there's nothing like it. I think our poor food reputation comes from the fact that we don't really do restaurant food - we do comfort food.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
You're obviously eating in the wrong places. Modern British food is as good as any food you'll find anywhere. Curry is a big part of British food now. You won't get chicken tikka masala in India or Bangladesh because it's a British invention..
I'm not eating in the wrong places, I'm eating in the places I eat. My preference for Italian or Indian cuisine has nothing to do with wear I live or eat, it's to do with the fact I prefer that cooking to the food in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Absolutely EIIR! Well said! I love all kinds of food but to sit down to a Sunday roast followed by Eaton Mess - there's nothing like it. I think our poor food reputation comes from the fact that we don't really do restaurant food - we do comfort food.
Sunday dinner I agree, it is a lovely meal and there's a pub in the village next to mine that does sunday dinner like it's christmas dinner but every sunday. Meat and three veg with all the trimmings, plus real gravy. But that's tradition, same old same old and whilst it's good cooking I'm more of an adventure type of gal. Although, Heston B takes it to the extreme.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:01 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Let's be honest, no-one takes the Olympic football tournament seriously anyway. It's entirely pointless given football already has its own tournaments that are considered the pinnacle in the sport.
I wonder if the players who have been picked share this opinion. And I wonder why David Beckham pulled out all the stops to become a member of the team. He has always claimed that he wanted to be picked on football merits or not at all and this is exactly what happened. He has been desperate for many years to sell what he is doing in the US as serious football what is not the case.

Quote:
Ryan Giggs is captaining the team even though he's 39 and rarely makes the Man United team. He was picked because he's Welsh and hasn't been to a big tournament before. If Ryan Giggs can be picked for that reason, why can't David Beckham?
Its your opinion, not a fact, that Ryan Giggs has been picked because he is Welsh. Even if he is past his best, the class of football that he is part of at ManU is way, way above what Beckham has been doing in the US. If Giggs is past it, I dont know what Beckham is at this stage.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Probably because for so long British restaurants decided that French food was best and so British food was only really cooked at home.

When you look into it it's amazing how influential British food has been. The modern pancake is British; a dish very similar to lasagne was being eaten in England in the 1300s. Creme brulee was first invented at Cambridge University. Modern ice-cream owes a lot to British innovation. Gravy, cheddar cheese, custard ('creme anglaise'), clotted cream, marmalade, bonoffee pie, sticky toffee pudding, spotted dick, treacle tart, apple pie (sorry America), shepherd's pie, cottage pie, bangers and mash, bubble and squeak, Lancashire hotpot, scones, crumpets, English muffins, English mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Victoria sponge. You could go on forever.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I always thought that British tradition had so right is how they ate too. I may not be correct but I've always thought of the Brits having four meals a day. Breakfast in the morning and then having the dinner (the big meal of the day) at noon/early afternoon. Then comes the unique to Britain tea. Tea and crumpets, scones and watercress sandwiches are so very totally British. This is followed by a late supper (kind of like lunch as we know it now) around 8 or so in the evening.

I really enjoyed reading Philip's views on the opening/closing ceremonies. Personally I do tend to really enjoy them it really amplifies the coming together of nations in peaceful competition and at the end, a celebration of all athletes win or lose. I do agree that over the years they have grown way out of perspective as each host nation tries to outdo what has previously been done before.

One thing I think perhaps they should never have changed is that it used to be that in order to participate as an athlete, they had to have amateur status. It seems to me that once they allowed the professional "stars" on the teams, it kind of took away from the unity of a nation's team.

Lumutqueen: what a totally wonderful idea to have a British Olympian from 1948 light the cauldron!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 PM

Tea has almost fallen out now because most people work from 9-5 so they have breakfast, lunch and dinner. It's confusing because some people call their dinner 'tea' meaning it's a late one. It's still a bit of a habit for tea at 4 (at least among my circle) and it's more a natural "I fancy a cuppa and a biscuit" than "It's 4, we must have tea!" thing. It's a shame we've lost it as it was a nice break to the afternoon I imagine but now the only people doing tea on a grand scale are the poor tourists who get ripped off well and truly for a few tiny sandwiches and a bun! I suppose our working habits have altered the way we eat. Lunch is now at around 1pm for most people and only lasts an hour, then there's a big dinner at around 7. Though on Sundays it changes a bit, most people have Sunday lunch at around 1/2pm and then have a late supper. When I was younger we always had Sunday lunch at 1 and then salmon sandwiches and cake at around 6pm to coincide with the Antiques Roadshow!
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

My grandparents would have a kind of tea in mid afternoons. It would consist of tea, usually with a slice of Victoria Sponge or one of my granny's homemade scones. When I stayed with them we would have the main meal of the day at lunchtime, then tea about 4 o'clock and supper at around 8 o'clock. Supper would be wheaten bread with jam, or a pancake with jam.

Afternoon tea has become a special event that you might take at a fancy hotel. It's not really an everyday thing anymore.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM

It's funny, I think all over the UK we've all got one thing in common - our Sunday routine!
Old 07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I love my Sunday routine! When I worked in England, I got so used to Elevenses and the 4p tea break (I always had tea white). I miss my English life, especially those payday lunches at the Dog & Partridge.

We altered our work hours when we had the Olympics in 1996. My workday started at 6a and ended at 2p(1p if I didn't take lunch). It wasn't too much of a hassle. We could not drive our cars (without penalty) into the city, but the train worked fine.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

European royals attending London 2012 - hellomagazine.com
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It's funny, I think all over the UK we've all got one thing in common - our Sunday routine!
Ireland, too. I acquired the 'tea habit' morning, lunch and 4pm from my late grandparents on my dad's side. I've never liked coffee.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

London 2012 Olympics: Fears over public safety as officers are dragged off beat in deepening Games fiasco | Mail Online
Old 07-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

The British press are starting to really annoy me. They're starting to go on about 'chaos' and 'farce' and 'meltdowns' and we're still 11 days away from the start of the Games. I just have never understood the British tendency to talk ourselves down all the time. Every little thing is being seized on by the curmudgeons in the press who never wanted the Olympics to come here, and used as a sort of 'I told you it was going to be a disaster'. If they keep going on like this it'll become a self-fulfilling philosophy.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well Olympic Athletes being stuck on buses and lost for 4 hours, isn't such a good story to publish is it?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The modern pancake is British
I don't know what you mean with "modern pancake", but pancakes have been eaten in most European countries for a long time. For me this is a pancake: Pannukakku - Valion reseptit Finnish pancake baked in the oven, and these are lätty (thins): http://mediaserver-2.vuodatus.net/g/...2_CIMG5339.JPG
Old 07-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Gentry

Just don't read the daily fail mail they exaggerate everything negatively .
Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The British press are starting to really annoy me. They're starting to go on about 'chaos' and 'farce' and 'meltdowns' and we're still 11 days away from the start of the Games. I just have never understood the British tendency to talk ourselves down all the time. Every little thing is being seized on by the curmudgeons in the press who never wanted the Olympics to come here, and used as a sort of 'I told you it was going to be a disaster'. If they keep going on like this it'll become a self-fulfilling philosophy.
Defeatism/negativity hasn't always been part of the national character. We used to be a rather can do/take charge nation with people who were proud of their country but you are right about our press and their view of the nation and the people. They took the same view about the Queen Mothers funeral and the Golden Jubilee. It was always no ones cares and no one will show up and then of course they were surprised that people did care and people did show up.
The next story unfortunately will probably be about lack of athletic success. Tom Daly has been played up so much I feel sorry for him. The sport press write all those stories as if he was guaranteed a medal and pretty much ignore the Chinese dominance of the diving events. I definitely wish him well but he has a major challenge ahead of him.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Well Olympic Athletes being stuck on buses and lost for 4 hours, isn't such a good story to publish is it?
Apparently the bus drivers, many of whom have been drafted in from outside London, couldn't figure out how to use sat nav and couldn't read a map. I mean, how on earth can a professional bus driver not know how to use sat nav and good old-fashioned maps in the 21st century?! Or how about, I don't know, reading traffic signs?

The Daily Mail, Telegraph and Guardian are trying to outdo each other with negative headlines. All three had sensationalist stories about enormous traffic jams on the M4. The actual reason for it? A car crash. Nothing to do with the Olympics whatsoever.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm sure plenty of them new how to read and use satnavs but I don't think you can do either while driving. And why exactly have they got bus drivers from outside London who know nothing about the area ferrying around the worlds athletes? London is hardly a small town is it? Traffic signs can be confusing when you've probably got no idea where you're going.

I'm sorry but I'm with the press on this one, the country looks unprepared and we're experience fiasco after fiasco everyday.