The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudur rose View Post
By the way I am not procrastinating .....I can't move my house and I can't work from home ... As is the case with lots of people and businesses. They can't say ok let's move our warehouse shop cafe or whatever it is for a month. . Not everyone works in an office and can do all work online . That is a very sweeping statement and shows a complete lack of understanding .
You may not be able to move your work location but you have had years to plan on how to deal with transportation issues.
__________________

__________________
  #122  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine

You may not be able to move your work location but you have had years to plan on how to deal with transportation issues.
Which helps not at all, as the average citizen can't exactly decide to add more lanes to a road or allocate funds for better public transport.
__________________

__________________
  #123  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Tudur rose's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
I don't think so because the British cuisine is internationally renowned to be horrible, so that did not exactly came as an insult, rather an objective observation...
OK, I'm french but I really think Paris was the best city: it has all the infrastructures and has an experience of that kind of events (remember the world cup?). BUT I'm happy we did not win because the Olympics are a lost of money (Greece is nearly on bankruptcy because of them) and Paris do not need that to attract tourists.
So GOOOD LUCK LONDON. Sans rancune! :)
Oh dear and now I just noticed this as someone saying our food is horrible .... What a narrow minded cliche . British food is fab. . Anyone who,says it isn't obviously hasn't experienced it ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Does anyone think William will have Married Catherine by then will the Queen still be Monarch will the Duke be alive or so many questions!
Yes to all of these too. .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
I know several people in the Republic of Ireland and they were desperately hoping that London would fail to win the right to host the Games, much like they desperately hope for British athletes to fail. I happened to be listening to RTE radio when Andy Murray was playing in the semi final of the Australian Open and the presenter said "great news from Australia, Britain's Andy Murray has been knocked out of the Australian Open by Novak Djokovic. What a relief that is".

Seems odd that they would send the torch in Dublin given that's the case.
What a ridiculous thing to say ....Irish and scots are celts ....
__________________
  #124  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudur rose View Post
Oh dear and now I just noticed this as someone saying our food is horrible .... What a narrow minded cliche . British food is fab. . Anyone who,says it isn't obviously hasn't experienced it ....
Well they certainly haven't experienced London restaurants in the last 30 years.
__________________
  #125  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 986
I'd eat at a Gordon Ramsey place (and many of those in the UK featured on one of his shows) anywhere anytime.


LaRae
__________________
  #126  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Its not as if Londoners and businesses in London have not have had plenty of time to adjust to the fact that the Olympics were going to happen in London in the summer of 2012, and to make alternate plans for work and transportation. The venue locations have also been known for years. Many companies have made such plans, including allowing some to work from home or alternate locations. Those that have not thought about the Olympics and its impact on them have simply procrastinated.
Actually, we've not really had much advice. I'm self employed, I have to get to work off my own bat or I don't earn. So for those of us not under the umbrella of a big company, we're stuffed. But even those with companies had no idea about Games lanes until last week. In short, even if companies laid on taxis for people to get to work, the cars can't get through the city quickly. So again, we're down to relying on the tube...and back to square one! Believe me, there's been more than enough procrastination coming from City Hall on this one.

As to British food, for those coming to London - British cuisine is not only fantastic but we've also adopted hundreds of new cuisines and embraced them. I happen to know a fabulous Russian restaurant near London Zoo, there's Greek, Italian, French, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Australian, American ......well, you get the point. We have something for everyone food wise!
__________________
  #127  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I am hoping they give the honour of lighting the flame to Sir Steve Redgrave ( a 5 time Olympic gold medalist) if it goes to an athlete or perhaps to a disabled veteran of the Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns if they select a non-Olympian.
I don't think the Beckhams need more publicity, regardless of Davids contributions to getting the Games.
Good point. I wasn't aware that Sir Steve Redgrave was a 5 time Olympic gold medalist and to be honest, it sounds just as fitting for him to light the cauldron. He's been a part of the torch relay too (BBC News - Olympic torch: Sir Steve Redgrave rows with flame). Perhaps they'll have a relay inside of the Olympic Stadium where several people carry the torch around the stadium before the cauldron is lit and Beckham would be one of them. I'd also like to see perhaps a UK gold medalist from the 2012 London Paralympic team if not one of the Walking with the Wounded disabled vets or perhaps both.

We really won't know until the actual opening ceremony but its kind of fun to muse on just who the honor will be given to isn't it?
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #128  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:29 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
I'm sure David Beckham will carry the torch at some stage in the few days leading up to the games. I think Sir Steve Redgrave will end up lighting the cauldron in the stadium, but they might decide to go for Beckham because he's so well-known around the world and did so much to help win the bid (and has been harshly left out of the GB football team).

When it comes to transport, I suspect many Londoners have either booked holidays to be out of London during the games, or will simply avoid public transport at certain times. The bank that I work for has huge offices in the City and they've put in place all sorts of plans to minimise problems, including amending working hours to avoid the peak travel times, arranging for staff to work in bank offices outside London if they commute in, among other things.
__________________
  #129  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
As to British food, for those coming to London - British cuisine is not only fantastic but we've also adopted hundreds of new cuisines and embraced them. I happen to know a fabulous Russian restaurant near London Zoo, there's Greek, Italian, French, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Australian, American ......well, you get the point. We have something for everyone food wise!
If one really wants the taste that's known practically around the world, the largest McDonald's in the world will be on hand for all your Big Mac needs.

World's Largest McDonald's Coming To 2012 London Summer Olympics (PHOTOS)
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #130  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
The IOC has McDonald's as one of its worldwide partners, which seems daft to me. That particular McDonalds is actually only a temporary structure and will be torn down after the games.
__________________
  #131  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
The IOC has McDonald's as one of its worldwide partners, which seems daft to me. That particular McDonalds is actually only a temporary structure and will be torn down after the games.
Good! The structure and design of that building is totally horrendous to me.
__________________
“We live in a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practiced in broad daylight.”
~~~ John Lennon ~~~
  #132  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
I agree, Osipi, it's an awful building. The London 2012 organising committee have been criticised very heavily by the British media for having a fast food joint as part of the Olympic Park. The problem the organisers have is that because McD's is an IOC partner, they had no choice in the matter.
__________________
  #133  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 735
As someone who was a teenager during the 84 Olympics in LA and experienced the Olympics first hand, I hope you have a wonderful Olympic games.

Everyone here was paranoid about all of the people and the traffic and the disparate locations of the venues and travelling back and forth and the tickets )or lack thereof). Los Angeles was not (and still isnt) a public transportation town) and there was hardly an "olympic village". All the worry ended up being for naught - mostly because so many natives left town. My family actually went on vacation the first week and came back the 2nd week - but it was an amazing time in the city. You dont need tickets to enjoy everything or to soak up the Olympic experience. Watching the marathon all through the city and just hanging out in Exposiiton park outside the coliseum. Athletes walking around with their medals taking pictures, pin trading, just soaking up the atmosphere. These athletes have trained their entire lives for success and acheivement - they are generally so appreciative and kind. And if you have an opportunity to go to any event - do it.... I went to the synchoronized swimming heats... was invited at the last minute; just go - it is truly an amazing experience. It was a really great time. I wish London a wonderful happy games!
__________________
  #134  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 521
I hope all residents of London will share the sights, sounds and flavors of the Olympics. Both good and not so good.
__________________
  #135  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
I hope all residents of London will share the sights, sounds and flavors of the Olympics. Both good and not so good.
I hope so too. I was in Canada during the 2010 Winter Olympics and from the Torch Run through the Games the entire country seemed to get wrapped up in the Olympics and take pride in the Games, not an easy accomplishment in such a vast nation. I hope Britains will feel the same thing, although negativity seems to be a growing part of our national character unfortunately.
__________________
  #136  
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine
I am hoping they give the honour of lighting the flame to Sir Steve Redgrave ( a 5 time Olympic gold medalist) if it goes to an athlete or perhaps to a disabled veteran of the Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns if they select a non-Olympian.
I don't think the Beckhams need more publicity, regardless of Davids contributions to getting the Games.
I'm hoping an athlete from the 1948 Olympics is given the honour.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudur rose

Oh dear and now I just noticed this as someone saying our food is horrible .... What a narrow minded cliche . British food is fab. . Anyone who,says it isn't obviously hasn't experienced it ....
I've tasted it, and it's nothing special. Whilst fish and chips are nice, give me a curry or a lovely bowl of pasta any day.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #137  
Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I'm sure David Beckham will carry the torch at some stage in the few days leading up to the games. I think Sir Steve Redgrave will end up lighting the cauldron in the stadium, but they might decide to go for Beckham because he's so well-known around the world and did so much to help win the bid (and has been harshly left out of the GB football team).
I am glad he was left out, since when gets an olympic football team selected on celebrity status and not on merit? Beckham did not "deserve" a place in Team GB as a footballer (the level he has been playing on in recent years may level the Championship, 2nd league in Britain), and it was not his "right" to appear at London 2012 as an olympian just because he helped to push the bid. It would have been all about him, not about the team, with Beckham, who doesnt even live in the UK, its all about self-promotion. Its his nemesis that he never won a titel for GB or England and will never be a national hero like Sir Robson or Sir Charlton and might lose out on the knighthood he longs for so much.

Back to the Olymics
The torch continued its way yesterday via Ascot. Frankie Dettori jumped off a horse holding the torch.
Frankie Dettori carries Olympic torch | The Sun |Sport|Olympics
__________________
  #138  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Tudur rose's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan

Actually, we've not really had much advice. I'm self employed, I have to get to work off my own bat or I don't earn. So for those of us not under the umbrella of a big company, we're stuffed. But even those with companies had no idea about Games lanes until last week. In short, even if companies laid on taxis for people to get to work, the cars can't get through the city quickly. So again, we're down to relying on the tube...and back to square one! Believe me, there's been more than enough procrastination coming from City Hall on this one.

As to British food, for those coming to London - British cuisine is not only fantastic but we've also adopted hundreds of new cuisines and embraced them. I happen to know a fabulous Russian restaurant near London Zoo, there's Greek, Italian, French, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Australian, American ......well, you get the point. We have something for everyone food wise!
Are you thinking of the Russian tea house in primrose hill on regents park road . I LOVE that place .
Yes British food has had a massive revival in the past 10 years or so . People are more in touch with using local food and using new and revived ideas . Just think how fab our cheese is for example . And you're right adopting food from other cultures associated with British empire has evolved our cuisine over the centuries .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione

Which helps not at all, as the average citizen can't exactly decide to add more lanes to a road or allocate funds for better public transport.
My words exactly ..... What can I do about the bus route moving or the roads closing . Even the pedestrian crossing over the Cromwell road will close so I will have to walk even further round to get to earls court ........ I don't see how I can have done anything about that in the past 7 years .
__________________
  #139  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:38 AM
BeatrixFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudur rose View Post
Are you thinking of the Russian tea house in primrose hill on regents park road . I LOVE that place .
Yes British food has had a massive revival in the past 10 years or so . People are more in touch with using local food and using new and revived ideas . Just think how fab our cheese is for example . And you're right adopting food from other cultures associated with British empire has evolved our cuisine over the centuries .
Yes! Troika! It's fabulous, we went on the off chance and ended up getting a bit too happy on their frozen vodkas and dancing to an accordionist. And now we go back all the time. I love it there. You're right of course, I suppose it's the Empire that's responsible for the variety of food we have on offer. Fanny Cradock always used to say that we had no cuisine of our own and that we'd nicked it all from the various invaders and settlers that came to Britain but I don't know, I think we do have our own cuisine and whilst it's not to everyone's taste I don't think there's anyone who would be tempted by a traditional roast or pie and mash!
__________________
  #140  
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I am glad he was left out, since when gets an olympic football team selected on celebrity status and not on merit? Beckham did not "deserve" a place in Team GB as a footballer (the level he has been playing on in recent years may level the Championship, 2nd league in Britain), and it was not his "right" to appear at London 2012 as an olympian just because he helped to push the bid. It would have been all about him, not about the team, with Beckham, who doesnt even live in the UK, its all about self-promotion. Its his nemesis that he never won a titel for GB or England and will never be a national hero like Sir Robson or Sir Charlton and might lose out on the knighthood he longs for so much.
Let's be honest, no-one takes the Olympic football tournament seriously anyway. It's entirely pointless given football already has its own tournaments that are considered the pinnacle in the sport.

David Beckham is a patriot who anytime he's asked to do anything for the country is always more than happy to do so. He helped get the Games, has been involved with promoting the Games throughout and is admired around the world. Ryan Giggs is captaining the team even though he's 39 and rarely makes the Man United team. He was picked because he's Welsh and hasn't been to a big tournament before. If Ryan Giggs can be picked for that reason, why can't David Beckham?

Lumutqueen wrote:

Quote:
I've tasted it, and it's nothing special. Whilst fish and chips are nice, give me a curry or a lovely bowl of pasta any day.
You're obviously eating in the wrong places. Modern British food is as good as any food you'll find anywhere. Curry is a big part of British food now. You won't get chicken tikka masala in India or Bangladesh because it's a British invention.

British food got a bad reputation in the years after WWII, basically because food was still rationed until the mid-1950s. We had to make do with what we were given, so food tended to be less tasty and with less variety than in other countries. But just think about the contribution British food has made to the world. The sandwich, probably the most popular type of food on the planet, is a British invention. Our puddings and deserts are the best in the world in my opinion.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swedish Royals at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games GrandDuchess Royal House of Sweden 43 11-02-2004 12:35 PM
Spanish Royals at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games Alexandria Royal Family of Spain 6 04-23-2004 05:57 AM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 08:40 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch royal history fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]