2012 Olympic Games in London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congrat London!

*wills will be in his thirty by the time. a full grown up man!*

London is (probably) shaken of terror attacks in the subway. I wonder, if terrorists have chosen the date, because of the happiness in London about the games :confused: :(

Last edited:
Lena said:
London is (probably) shaken of terror attacks in the subway. I wonder, if terrorists have chosen the date, because of the happiness in London about the games :confused: :(
A most unfortunate event...but i'm sure the English will overcome this and prove to everyone why they won the 2012 games :)

houri said:
The world cup for football 2006 , will be in Germany .

Thanks, that's why I was confused. Another big event..:) :D

Lena said:

I've read that the attack was planned for today because the Prime Minister is in Scotland for the G8 summit. I think that it was just an awful coincidence that just yesterday London was full of so much happiness and pride and then had to wake up to this.

Does anyone think William will have Married Catherine by then will the Queen still be Monarch will the Duke be alive or so many questions!

[snipped]
OK, I'm french but I really think Paris was the best city: it has all the infrastructures and has an experience of that kind of events (remember the world cup?). BUT I'm happy we did not win because the Olympics are a lost of money (Greece is nearly on bankruptcy because of them) and Paris do not need that to attract tourists.
[snipped]
You are absolutely right. Winning the bid does not mean orderly spending of available funds. Each host city is said to have issues related to financial violations after the Games are over.

Ah a distant memory now. We don't really worry, we just get on with it. The only worry we all have about the Olympics is Londoners getting stung with the cost!

Well I don't know about you Londoners feel about hte cost...I am sure it will be somewhat tenous with all the people in the city. But if the economy picks up (and I think it will) London and the cities surrounding it will be make some money.

I know, that I will be in London for the Games. One of my favorite cities in the world?! Of course I will be there. Its a shame... I didn't go to any of the games in the States (Salt Lake and Atlanta) but I will travel an ocean for this one!

The thing is, London is paying for it. No other city is. But every city in the UK will want to experience the games.

Wonder if The Royals will play a major part in the opening

Wonder if The Royals will play a major part in the opening

The Queen will open the games of course but other than that I wouldn't expect them to play a major role. The Head of State of the host country opens the games and thus it will be the Queen.

wonder if she say anything like a speech

wonder if she say anything like a speech

The words that she will say at the Opening are standard - no speech at all - but the same words said by all openers in the past.

All she should say is: I declare open the Games of London celebrating the 30th Olympiad of the modern era.

At Montreal she didn't use the name of the city but said:

"I declare open the Olympic Games of 1976, celebrating the XXI Olympiad of the modern era."

She may say something similar next year but that is all she says - no more and no less.

I thought the head of the IOC said those words.

Head of IOC has other things to say but the Head of State of the host nation says the words above.

The speech by the IOC President

The President of the IOC then gives a speech which he ends with, "I have the honour of inviting ... (the Head of State) to proclaim open the Games of the… Olympiad of the modern era."

The Head of State declares the Games open

The Head of State proclaims the Games open by saying: "I declare open the Games of ... (name of City) celebrating the ... Olympiad of the modern era."

Ths is from: Olympic Opening Ceremony Protocol

The royal 'box' at the opening ceremony is going to by completely filled! :D

The royal 'box' at the opening ceremony is going to by completely filled! :D
I could def see William, Harry and Kate attending and def Princess Anne plus all the other European royals who usually attend so yes should be very exciting!! Have any of the other European royals confirmed their attendance yet?

I could def see William, Harry and Kate attending and def Princess Anne plus all the other European royals who usually attend so yes should be very exciting!! Have any of the other European royals confirmed their attendance yet?

The Swedish royals usually attend, but seldom the opening cermonies. IIRC they didnt even attend the opening cermony when Lillehammer had the Olympics in 1992

The Swedish royals usually attend, but seldom the opening cermonies. IIRC they didnt even attend the opening cermony when Lillehammer had the Olympics in 1992

Mary and Frederik will no doubt be at the opening ceremony as well as some of the games and matches Denmark will be competing in. Ditto for W-A and Maxima (and maybe their girls) for the Dutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom