The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Congrats to London! It was a toughy for me cause I love visiting London and Paris. I wasn't too surprised that New York lost because I had always been ticked that San Francisco was passed over as the American candidate.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doņa Metizia

It could have feen Chirac's comments about British cuisine.
I don't think so because the British cuisine is internationally renowned to be horrible, so that did not exactly came as an insult, rather an objective observation...
OK, I'm french but I really think Paris was the best city: it has all the infrastructures and has an experience of that kind of events (remember the world cup?). BUT I'm happy we did not win because the Olympics are a lost of money (Greece is nearly on bankruptcy because of them) and Paris do not need that to attract tourists.
So GOOOD LUCK LONDON. Sans rancune! :)

Old 07-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Aristocracy

I was hoping Madrid would win the bid :(
Old 07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness

I'm actually suprised that London won the bid. I was watching tv this morning as I was getting ready for work, and just minutes before the winner was selected, they had someone on analyzing the odds of Paris vs. London winning the bid. Apparently, Paris was considered the contender for many different reasons.

I has to agree with whoever said that they are glad New York didn't win. I personally didn't think it was all that realistic considering that the 1996 games were hosted in Atlanta and they 2002 Winter Games were in Salt Lake City. Not only that, but Vancouver, Canada is the host of the 2010 games, so it just doesn't seem fair to have two games back to back (Winter then Summer games) in North America.

Also, I know I personally wouldn't ever attend the games in New York City for one reason and one reason only. TRAFFIC!!!!!!! To me, that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

I wish they would bring the Olympics here. There was talk a few years ago about having Orlando/Tampa jointly host the games. I think that would be really cool!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I had really hoped Paris would win but if not Paris, London - so congratulations to London ^____^
Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Humera~*~
I love looking at the uniforms too Danielle.
Maybe the Australians should have Roots make their uniforms The company has made Canada's uniforms for years and made sure that our team looked the hippest and best, so much so that the US had their uniforms designed by Roots.
Yes, uniforms are great. I must say, I've always thought that the Canadian team (for any Olympic Games) was always one of the best-dressed teams around. Probably because you don't attempt to incorporate a myriad different unnatural (ugly) looking colours together while using natural fibres. Yes, maybe Roots should design ours too.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Nobility

I honestly thought Paris was going to win, they had most of the buzz. And even though I would have liked for NYC to be the host, I just couldn't see how they were going to get it. Bases on what I'd read they didn't seem too prepared as far as plans for venues and such, and where were they going to build in a city that big? Plus, we've had 2 games here since 1996, as well as the 2010 winter games in Canada. Congrats to London, though, I'm sure they'll do a great job!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:00 AM
Royal Highness

I am glad London won the bid. The royal family put alot of work into it. Congrats!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:06 AM
Courtier

Congratulations to London .
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mascha
(Germany what was I thinking? )

The world cup for football 2006 , will be in Germany .
Old 07-07-2005, 05:11 AM
Gentry

Thumbs up

congrat London!

*wills will be in his thirty by the time. a full grown up man!*
Old 07-07-2005, 05:59 AM
Heir Apparent

London is (probably) shaken of terror attacks in the subway. I wonder, if terrorists have chosen the date, because of the happiness in London about the games :(
Old 07-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
London is (probably) shaken of terror attacks in the subway. I wonder, if terrorists have chosen the date, because of the happiness in London about the games :(
A most unfortunate event...but i'm sure the English will overcome this and prove to everyone why they won the 2012 games :)
Old 07-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Nobility

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by houri
The world cup for football 2006 , will be in Germany .
Thanks, that's why I was confused. Another big event..:)
Old 07-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
I've read that the attack was planned for today because the Prime Minister is in Scotland for the G8 summit. I think that it was just an awful coincidence that just yesterday London was full of so much happiness and pride and then had to wake up to this.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does anyone think William will have Married Catherine by then will the Queen still be Monarch will the Duke be alive or so many questions!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
[snipped]
OK, I'm french but I really think Paris was the best city: it has all the infrastructures and has an experience of that kind of events (remember the world cup?). BUT I'm happy we did not win because the Olympics are a lost of money (Greece is nearly on bankruptcy because of them) and Paris do not need that to attract tourists.
[snipped]
You are absolutely right. Winning the bid does not mean orderly spending of available funds. Each host city is said to have issues related to financial violations after the Games are over.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Courtier

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8014970.stm

"London 2012 'on time and budget.' "

London 2012 aerial pictures show Olympic Park's changing skyline - Telegraph

Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena View Post
Ah a distant memory now. We don't really worry, we just get on with it. The only worry we all have about the Olympics is Londoners getting stung with the cost!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Well I don't know about you Londoners feel about hte cost...I am sure it will be somewhat tenous with all the people in the city. But if the economy picks up (and I think it will) London and the cities surrounding it will be make some money.

I know, that I will be in London for the Games. One of my favorite cities in the world?! Of course I will be there. Its a shame... I didn't go to any of the games in the States (Salt Lake and Atlanta) but I will travel an ocean for this one!

Closed Thread